Using FF miles one way to Italy...Return??

S&B

We can use our FF miles to fly from the U.S. to Venice, Italy, but cannot find a FF ticket from Rome back to the U.S. for the miles that we want to use. I have tried all sorts of different airports in the U.S. but nothing works out on the days that we need to return as we are on a cruise. I think spending two nights in Rome would be very expensive!

I know that the airlines no longer let you buy international tickets one way for half price of the round trip. Does anyone know of a way to get a one way ticket or is it just no longer possible?

Any help will be appreciated.

We can use our FF miles to fly from the U.S. to Venice, Italy, but cannot find a FF ticket from Rome back to the U.S. for the miles that we want to use. I have tried all sorts of different airports in the U.S. but nothing works out on the days that we need to return as we are on a cruise. I think spending two nights in Rome would be very expensive!

I know that the airlines no longer let you buy international tickets one way for half price of the round trip. Does anyone know of a way to get a one way ticket or is it just no longer possible?

How about getting one roundtrip free ticket and buying one roundtrip ticket? We do that all the time.

How about getting one roundtrip free ticket and buying one roundtrip ticket? We do that all the time.

I don't think that would work; OP's problem is the availability of a FF ticket for the return flight.

OP, you can simply buy 2 one way tickets home, but you may just want to buy RT tickets and save your miles for another time or try and use them to upgrade (if upgradable tickets are available). Buying one way international tickets is very expensive.

What FF program are you using? There may be experts on here that know some program-specific tricks.

Don't just look at different US cities. Look at availability in different cities in Italy. Venice, Milan, even Zurich are very doable by train from Rome, so that may be an option. Or, book a cheap O/W air ticket to whatever city you can get FF availability from. Lots of ways to look at this.

Two extra nights in Rome would be considerably cheaper than paying for O/W tickets, believe me!

You may wish to check air from you cruise line. They frequently have good one way fares.

Without knowing what mileage program you're using, when you're traveling and where you want to get to from Rome, all we can do is guess. FF seats are never all released at once.

And how many miles do you want to use v. how many miles does the airline say it will cost?

Logical to me --one person travels with FF miles--the other does not.

Yes, this is logical, but again, you need to carefully read the original post. The issue is finding a FF ticket for the return. If you can only use FF miles for your outbound trip and not the return, this solution won't work.

The OP kind if muddied the waters by saying there are no FF flights in the day they want to leave, but also that there are no flights at the award level they want to use. Maybe they need to clarify. Either way, it seems they need to either use more miles than they want to, or fly a different day, or pay cash.

Two problems. 1) you might not be able to get both tix on the same flight. 2)if you get a RT tix and don't use the outbound leg they will prob canx the whole trip if you don't use the outbound part. Would not be good to show up at the airport in Italy only to find your ticket has been canceled because you didn't show up for the first part. :eek:

More info is needed here. Is it there are no tix avail period or just at the milage level you want to spend? What time of year are you trying to do this? What airline are you trying to use? Have you actually called your airline of choice or just going by their website? Too many unanswered questions to give any decent help/tips.

Logical to me --one person travels with FF miles--the other does not.

Do try putting in the request for one person on award ticket. Sometimes it is the 2 people that causes the bucket to be empty! They will not give you one cheaper ticket. Rome is great place to stay. About 30 years ago we stayed in a convent behind St. Peter's Square with our family (DH/2 preschool DD and my DMIL) with 2 meals for very little. We still talk of the stay where the Sisters were so good to our girls and made special treats for them. (No not Catholic just Presbyterian __ Men can stay with family) Might be something to consider.

Edited by Bowie MeMe

if you get a RT tix and don't use the outbound leg they will prob canx the whole trip if you don't use the outbound part.

Not probably, but with the exception of some LCCs that treat a round trip as really two one ways, if you miss the outbound, your entire ticket will be cancelled.

Edited by 6rugrats

One other suggestion, call the carrier directly. I recently booked two tickets r/t first class to LHR. I could see the domestic seats available on US but not the international. I could see the international leg available of AA for a huge number of miles. I could see the same seats available on BA for half the miles, but couldn't tie it all together. A great phone agent from US was able to put it all together, getting me the seats I wanted at the mile amount I was willing to pay.

It's possible that while your carrier doesn't have seats, one if their partners does, and they can get booked that way.

Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions. It is greatly appreciated. We are traveling on United in September. We only wanted to use one FF mile ticket because then we save the other for another trip to Europe.

I have tried all sorts of combinations returning to the U.S. from Rome and nothing seems to work out I guess it will be two nights in Rome. We fly out of Rome at 6:40 a.m. so now the problem is finding a hotel near the airport but also near a subway station so we can get to the city for a visit.

We can fly from Rome to Newark (which I said I would never use Newark again as a U.S. entry airport again) and then get a single one way ticket to Tampa. Three years ago we used FF miles to go to Hong Kong and return from Singapore. It took weeks and many hours on the internet and all of a sudden a flight opened up so I will not give up hope!!

Thanks again!

Grandma "knows" Best - we are coming to your (and our) favorite city for our 50th Anniversary!!

We can fly from Rome to Newark (which I said I would never use Newark again as a U.S. entry airport again) and then get a single one way ticket to Tampa. ....

Grandma "knows" Best - we are coming to your (and our) favorite city for our 50th Anniversary!!

Just wanted to add that on May 25th, I flew OSL-EWR and breezed through customs/immigration with Global Entry. It literally only took the time we spent to walk off the plane, stop at the GE computers, and walk out through the GE line.

Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions. It is greatly appreciated. We are traveling on United in September. We only wanted to use one FF mile ticket because then we save the other for another trip to Europe.

I have tried all sorts of combinations returning to the U.S. from Rome and nothing seems to work out I guess it will be two nights in Rome. We fly out of Rome at 6:40 a.m. so now the problem is finding a hotel near the airport but also near a subway station so we can get to the city for a visit.

We can fly from Rome to Newark (which I said I would never use Newark again as a U.S. entry airport again) and then get a single one way ticket to Tampa. Three years ago we used FF miles to go to Hong Kong and return from Singapore. It took weeks and many hours on the internet and all of a sudden a flight opened up so I will not give up hope!!

Thanks again!

Try the Hilton Rome Airport. Right at the airport. You can walk about 10 minutes to the train station at FCO. No subway out at FCO that goes into Rome.The airport also has a courtesy shuttle into Rome that you can look at. Then, you can roll out of your bed at a later G*D awful hour of the morning to catch your flight than you would at another hotel ;)

While staying in Rome extra nights would always be my first choice, you really ought to consider other European departure cities if you want to come home sooner. I had similar issues flying INTO Venice last year. I ended up finding availbility into Bolongna. We then took a $20 pp train into Venice. Given the cost of transportation from the airport serving Venice into Venice itself, the cost was basically a wash and DDP got to experience his first European commuter train!:eek:

I told you I would not give up hope!! Something did open up this afternoon so I have a few questions.

If we dock in Rome at 7 a.m. and the flight leaves at 11:20 a.m., are we going to make it or is that too close?

What is Air Canada Rouge? That is how we fly from Toronto to Venice. It will not let me choose seats saying that we choose our seats at check in. All I ask is that we are safe. I don't have to have entertainment, etc.

Here is what we have to do - TPA-Houston or Dulles-Toronto-Venice. The return is easier. Rome-Toronto-EWR. Get a single ticket to get to TPA.

Thanks so much. You all have been so helpful.

Some will tell you that your return flight is too early others will say you can make it if you don't have any issues. You should take a look over on the Italy ports boards, there are a number of threads on this subject. You can then decide how much anxiety you are willing to deal with.

Edited by Clay Clayton

What is Air Canada Rouge? That is how we fly from Toronto to Venice. It will not let me choose seats saying that we choose our seats at check in. All I ask is that we are safe. I don't have to have entertainment, etc.

Good luck with Air Canada Rouge! You should be safe, but I'm glad you didn't list comfort as one of your priorities. Apparently, the new slimline seats and limited pitch make these planes excruciating in economy. See the following for more information:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k7503235-Air_Canada_Rouge_that_bad-Air_Travel.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k7274352-My_thoughts_on_Air_Canada_Rouge-Air_Travel.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k7412552-Has_anyone_had_a_positive_experience_with_Air_Canada_Rouge-Air_Travel.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k5971021-Air_Canada_Rouge_and_seat_pitch-Air_Travel.html

If we dock in Rome at 7 a.m. and the flight leaves at 11:20 a.m., are we going to make it or is that too close?

What is Air Canada Rouge? That is how we fly from Toronto to Venice. It will not let me choose seats saying that we choose our seats at check in [/QuOTE]

I think that is cutting it close.

You never said where these FF miles were coming from, but to be able to choose seats on AC if you booked using another *Alliance carrier, you have to get your AC confirmation number and call AC for seat assignments. Try that.

Edited by 6rugrats

We are flying United. I have one more question. If we fly Rome-Toronto-Newark, where do we do our customs and passport control? In Toronto or Newark? That will tell me how much time we have to allow for transfers and customs, etc.

Thanks again.

We are flying United. I have one more question. If we fly Rome-Toronto-Newark, where do we do our customs and passport control? In Toronto or Newark? That will tell me how much time we have to allow for transfers and customs, etc.

Thanks again.

US customs and immigration are done via "pre clearance" in Toronto