Baby bear video I took this week in Alaska

aerospace

Probably 30 feet?

The tree was super tall and the edge steep so I couldn't see the bottom. As I was taking the video the mama was climbing down out of view which presents a potentially dangerous situation. She was probably checking on her other cub that had been stubborn and decided it didn't want to climb said tree but she could also have been annoyed by me so I made a quick exit. :)

What shore excursions did you particularly enjoy? Did you book only w HAL or w any independents? If you booked w independents, how was your overall experience? Easy to get to operator? Got you back to boat in time to sail?

Thank you so much for blogging about your experiences. I've learned so much about this particular cruise from you.:)

What shore excursions did you particularly enjoy? Did you book only w HAL or w any independents? If you booked w independents, how was your overall experience? Easy to get to operator? Got you back to boat in time to sail?

Thank you so much for blogging about your experiences. I've learned so much about this particular cruise from you.:)

Interested in this too. Doing Celebrity southbound next year and thinking of booking on my own for most tours.

I ended up mostly hiking on my own, there are a thousand trails in AK many near the ports. Since this is my 7th AK trip I've done most of the tours already.

Best Tours:

Skagway; train tour to Yukon, bus back or vice verse. Train might be more fun but the bus has better views and stops to take photos. You might see a bear on the train portion but in a bus they pull over and you get photos ;)

Rock Climbing, or Bus to Canada and bike back, also both great tours.

Juneau; whale watching, or going on a crab boat tour from deadliest catch. Tram up Mt. Roberts and then hiking up further. The summit is 3miles but check before you go if it's open, if it recently snowed it might not be passable. If you have the cash the absolute best is Taku Lodge will run about $275pp to take a float plane there, you fly over 5 glaciers and land near one. Salmon bake at the lodge, mini hike(skip if you want), and they usually have bears who smell the bake and check come to check it out.

Ketchikan; watch the salmon run late July/August time frame; check out the totem poles, the hatchery, the discovery center, shopping, take the Duck Tour.

The bear was at Mendenhall glacier on a hike up the mountain that it borders. They are frequently sighted there but it's about 2 1/2 hours to do the hike and not much to see. Lookout point was built so long ago the glacier has receded so you don't see much. The bears and porcupine I saw made it a good hike.

Yep, the babies were out! Here are a couple I took up in Denali NP a few days ago.

Cubs playing

Mama & cubs

Good job!

I know almost everyone here has been to AK or is planning to, so post your best baby bear, moose, sheep, etc photos/video here :)

Mother moose and calves in parking lot of the WAC at Denali

Everyone kept saying they saw Moose around the WAC but in 6 days there I didn't see them. Did see several around the park tough :)

Rangers said they like to stay near the visitor center as there are no bears to eat the young. A moose near the visitor center gets ignored but the bears get shooed away so they don't get in the garbage...end result a bear free zone perfect for Moose calf raising.