Pompeii, Sorrento, Positano Tour from Naples - A Question

bama4cruisin

Has anyone taken the 8-hour "Pompeii, Sorrento and Positano Tour" offered from Naples? We are planning on this tour offered by See Amalfi Coast on our September 2015 cruise and would appreciate any feedback regarding the timing of this tour. It would be a group of 8, The tour consists of 2 hours in Pompeii with a private guide; 45-50 minutes exploring Positano; approximately an hour for lunch at La Tagliata; 45-50 minutes exploring Sorrento. This leaves time for photo stops aong the route. Is this allowing an appropriate amount of time for each stop? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. This company and the tour get excellent reviews on trip advisor; we just want some additional input on the timing. Thanks!

First of all, we love See Amalfi Coast - after our wonderful trip last July, they were the first tour we booked for our return in a few weeks. As for timing, you are correct that this is a lot to accomplish. Not that it can't be done, more that are you doing it all justice? We've previously done both Pompeii/Sorrento and Olive Oil FarmVisit/Sorrento/Positano/LaTagliata(lunch - AMAZING views from your table). If you are combining these two trips, I would consider eliminating one of the 4 and my vote would be Sorrento. We loved it the first time but after Positano would choose to spend more time there instead. Note: Should you change your mind, your driver can be so flexible as to even change the itinerary when he picks you up. That's when we added the Olive Oil tasting! They are very well informed and completely accommodating. We really loved that it was so completely personal!

We did a similar tour with shareashoreexcursion. It was a fabulous day and we were never rushed. Views along the coast are beautiful and being in a private tour you can stop for lots of photos. zababutu.jpg

4u9udunu.jpg

You are in for a spectacular day of fun! This is an amazing area. We have been there twice via cruise and are going back this summer for a land vacation. If it were me, I think 50 min in Sorrento is plenty, but you might want more in Positano. There is much more to see in Positano and it is all lovely. La Tagliatta is amazing food and a wonderful experience/view, but it will take at least 2 hours out of your day to eat there and it's expensive and isn't likely included in your tour price. If food memories are important to your group, by all means do it, but for a first trip, I would want to see more of the cities and coast.

We love La Tagliatta and will be eating there this summer, but then again, we will be staying in the area for five days, so we have the extra time to spend soaking it all in.

Either way, you will have a great time and long to return. Enjoy!

You are in for a spectacular day of fun! This is an amazing area. We have been there twice via cruise and are going back this summer for a land vacation. If it were me, I think 50 min in Sorrento is plenty, but you might want more in Positano. There is much more to see in Positano and it is all lovely. La Tagliatta is amazing food and a wonderful experience/view, but it will take at least 2 hours out of your day to eat there and it's expensive and isn't likely included in your tour price. If food memories are important to your group, by all means do it, but for a first trip, I would want to see more of the cities and coast.

We love La Tagliatta and will be eating there this summer, but then again, we will be staying in the area for five days, so we have the extra time to spend soaking it all in.

Either way, you will have a great time and long to return. Enjoy!

Well, you can tell from my name that I love Positano!! I also love the entire Amalfi Coast. We have done this day trip at least 20 times with several different companies. We have also spent several extended vacations in the area. My advice is to skip Sorrento. You pass through the outskirts to get to the Amalfi Coast drive but if you take time to go into the main area it will add about 2 hours to your day, much of it spent driving through Sorrento traffic. And I also LOVE La Tagliatta but I agree that it will be at least a 2-hour experience, and while it has amazing views and great food, it is not the Positano experience. It is simply looking down the cliff with Positano in the distance. Why not eat on beach level in Positano - we love La Pergola - and then spend some time just enjoying this unique fab town. You will see two of the most fantastic sights in the world - Pompeii and Positano, and you will have a relaxed visit to each. You can catch Sorrento and La Tagliatta next time - you know you always have to have a reason to go back!! Sorry if I'm prejudiced - I freely admit that I am. (And with good reason.)

So now we have to bring up the ole "It it's Tuesday it Must be Belgium" (Google the movie) Scenario. Can you do that tour? Absolutely. Does it give you enough time at each place? Yes, if your goal is to see as many things as possible in a short time. There is a reason why we have spent two 1 week vacations on the Amalfi Coast..and I would add that we were never bored :). If we were trying to organize such a whirlwind tour we would probably try to work the time so that we could totally skip Sorrento and substitute Ravello. But this would really be pushing the time limit and would probably not allow for an hour lunch.

All that being said, it does sound like your tour company has put together a pretty reasonable itinerary for a short port day. Just make sure you take some good photos so you can later remember what you have seen.

Hank

Even though I actually like Sorrento very much, I agree with the advice to skip it, and also La Tagliata. Just do Pompeii and Positano on your tour, eat lunch somewhere nice in Positano, and enjoy the day!

Even though I actually like Sorrento very much, I agree with the advice to skip it, and also La Tagliata. Just do Pompeii and Positano on your tour, eat lunch somewhere nice in Positano, and enjoy the day!

We have Positano, Sorento and Pompeii privately booked for our December Jade cruise. I just called and asked to have Sorrento taken off. I am thinking I made the right decision.

We are doing the same tour with Joe Banana because of good reviews here. We have not previously used them but we are excited about the tour.

You'll have a superb day. If Carlo is your driver say hello from me. He is shown (very) briefly in this. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]_lpGhBoXGro[/YOUTUBE]

You'll have a superb day. If Carlo is your driver say hello from me. He is shown (very) briefly in this. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]_lpGhBoXGro[/YOUTUBE]

Love the video. Will be counting the days until we are there

I have not done this tour with them…..but I will say that an hour for lunch at La Tagliata is not gonna happen. We ate there our last visit while on a tour with another tour company and it took ALOT longer than an hour !!!!!

We usually prefer to grab a bit somewhere (usually in Amalfi) but decided to do something different this time (this was our 4th visit to this area)…..

it ate up so much time !!! we won't do it again (we are headed here again in early May next year) as the meal was good but not worth all that precious time in this gorgeous area……. but that may just be me.

• 1 year later...

Its driving me batty! I can't find anyone who's setup a shore excursion to join on that site, or any others so far for Naples on 8/28 or La Spezia on 9/2. Guess I have to be the one to start one.

We did a similar tour with shareashoreexcursion. It was a fabulous day and we were never rushed. Views along the coast are beautiful and being in a private tour you can stop for lots of photos. zababutu.jpg

4u9udunu.jpg

Its driving me batty! I can't find anyone who's setup a shore excursion to join on that site, or any others so far for Naples on 8/28 or La Spezia on 9/2. Guess I have to be the one to start one.

I set mine up.

2 hours in Pompeii with a private guide; 45-50 minutes exploring Positano; approximately an hour for lunch at La Tagliata; 45-50 minutes exploring Sorrento. This leaves time for photo stops aong the route. Is this allowing an appropriate amount of time for each stop? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. This company and the tour get excellent reviews on trip advisor; we just want some additional input on the timing. Thanks!

IMHO, no. Can you do it? Yes, of course. But you won't be doing justice to any of the sites.

Pompeii: We had 2 hours here and it wasn't nearly enough time for me. I took 2 years of Latin and am very fascinated by the ancient Roman culture and felt like I was just getting started when it was time to leave. If you really don't give a hoot about "a bunch of old ruins" though, and are only going because "that's what you're supposed to see when you go to Naples" then you probably won't mind.

Positano: We stayed there for 5 days, and I can't imagine trying to see the town in 45 minutes. There's a cliffside walk way with fabulous views; we spent a couple hours one day just exploring how far that went. You could eat up 45 min just walking down from the road to the waterfront and back, never mind stopping to look in the shops, get a gelato or an espresso or a pastry. If you change nothing else, skip Sorrento so you can have at least a couple hours in Positano.

Private tours in Pompeii are usually 2 hrs. Will you see it all ? No way. Will you see the highlights ? Pretty much. We have been 5 times (last trip was a few weeks ago) and have done a private tour each time…… seeing new things each time since we always ask for the same guide :) when we book our day tour. So 2 hours will give you a taste but you will not see most of it.

An hour for lunch at La Taliata ? Ummm maybe but probably not. It took a lot longer for us than that. On our fourth visit we decided to check it out since we had read so many great reviews…… It really "ate up" a lot of our time (pun intended) and imo wasnt worth it. I know I am the odd one out but it was touristy and food was good but not stupendous……. we prefer to grab a quick bite in one of the villages to give us more time to explore. JMO.

45-50 minutes for Positano will give you time to walk down (way down) to the beach area, look around and then walk back up. We also had time to stop in a few shops and get a yummy lemoncello ice slushy and enjoy it. I would take the time from Sorrento and shop here if you are a shopper tho……

Sorrento doesn't do much for me. We always take the ferry back to Naples and twice we have had a bit of time in Sorrento but I would much rather spend that time in Ravello, Amalfi or Positano…….. again just my opinion tho. Some people like Sorrento.

Travel experiences are all very individual …….

This is my first post for our med cruise in fall 16......I want to swim in positano and have a proper lunch with my husband,do a bit of shopping and then head to pompeii....planning on a private tour with just the 2 of us....will a car be able to get down to the beach?....I am mobility challenged and would not be able to walk down and back so far....the video was lovely and now I am even more excited....

I want to swim in positano and have a proper lunch with my husband,do a bit of shopping and then head to pompeii....planning on a private tour with just the 2 of us....will a car be able to get down to the beach?....I am mobility challenged and would not be able to walk down and back so far....the video was lovely and now I am even more excited....
I'm afraid that Positano may not be the place for you, as the lowest point a car can get to is still quite a hike from the beach, steeply downhill on the way there and uphill on the way back.

I have done this exact tour just a week ago.

I used Shared Tours in Italy by AP Tours.

I started a group, expecting to have a total of 8 (we are 3) and ended up with a total of 17. All from our Roll Call.

They were great and accommodate us on a minibus.

We had an amazing day with our guide Pina. In Sorrento she took us to a very good restaurant (food and price wise).

In Livorno we used Italy Tour sharing by Joe Banana Limos to go to Cinque Terre and Pisa and was very disappointing... We were very unlucky with our driver... Bad choice:(