Civitavecchia to FCO Airport - Earliest Flight?

piratenurse09

Hello!

My husband and I will be sailing on NCL Epic Oct 1-8th out of Rome. We are wanting to get our airfare booked and there is a nonstop flight back to the US that leaves FCO at 11:20a. It looks like the ship gets back into port at 6:00a. Is this doable if we schedule a private transfer or should we stick with flights after 12p? We are already staying in Rome pre-cruise, so we would love a non-stop flight back if it's possible.

Thanks for any help!

(I did post this also under NCL, but haven't recieved much response)

You should ask the cruise line. We have gone in and out of Rome many times. Generally cruise lines say not before 11:30 am.

The real issue is for those flying back to the USA because these flights go out of Terminal #5 which is devoted to flight to USA and Israel. Security is high, in the past we have gone through 3 different security checks there, so it does take time.

Last time we had a 1pm flight, I know we were there well before, because we booked a private transfer with Romecabs.com at 9am.

You should ask the cruise line. We have gone in and out of Rome many times. Generally cruise lines say not before 11:30 am.

The real issue is for those flying back to the USA because these flights go out of Terminal #5 which is devoted to flight to USA and Israel. Security is high, in the past we have gone through 3 different security checks there, so it does take time.

Last time we had a 1pm flight, I know we were there well before, because we booked a private transfer with Romecabs.com at 9am.

I did call NCL today and she states they recommend 12:30p, however they advertise on their website that 6 hours past arrival time is safe. There is a flight that would get us there at 11:55, it isn't non stop, but only 1 layover. I wonder if the 11:55 would be safer.

I did call NCL today and she states they recommend 12:30p, however they advertise on their website that 6 hours past arrival time is safe. There is a flight that would get us there at 11:55, it isn't non stop, but only 1 layover. I wonder if the 11:55 would be safer.

The key is where the layover is - as US-bound flights are subject to greater (and longer) security measures. A stop somewhere in Europe gives you more wiggle-room time-wise than a US stop.

The key is where the layover is - as US-bound flights are subject to greater (and longer) security measures. A stop somewhere in Europe gives you more wiggle-room time-wise than a US stop.

It is a US bound flight. It stops in Philadelphia for a 3 hours layover. I think we would be ok if we are off the ship by 8am. Does that seem common with a 6am arrival time? If so it would give us approx 3 hours for check in, given that the trip to FCO is about 1 hour.

If you get off the ship at 7 and have a private transfer, you should be able to make the nonstop with no problem. I would leave the ship as soon as it clears customs, however, and not wait to enjoy that last cup of coffee.

Everyone says how terrible the Venice airport is--we arrived 2+ hours early and sat around twiddling our thumbs for two hours. Obviously, anything can happen on any given day, but I think barring a bad traffic accident or the like you'll be fine.

The other option is, since you are taking such a short cruise, is to spend the day and night in Rome and catch the nonstop the next day--never can have too much time in Rome1

Another thing I pay attention to is what day of the week are you arriving? Have found staffing at the ports slower on Sunday for example vs other week days. Traffic on the weekend is less in the early morning hours.

I see someone else mention staying one night, returning on the non stop the following day. We have done this as well. When we do we stay at the Hilton at the Rome Airport, that way we don't have to deal with traffic issues coming from a hotel in Rome on the day of departure. The Hilton Rome Airport hotel has a free shuttle bus that runs all day long back and forth to the center of Rome. This makes it easy to drop luggage in your room and go into Rome for some more exploring on your own after you get off the ship.

Another thing I pay attention to is what day of the week are you arriving? Have found staffing at the ports slower on Sunday for example vs other week days. Traffic on the weekend is less in the early morning hours.

I see someone else mention staying one night, returning on the non stop the following day. We have done this as well. When we do we stay at the Hilton at the Rome Airport, that way we don't have to deal with traffic issues coming from a hotel in Rome on the day of departure. The Hilton Rome Airport hotel has a free shuttle bus that runs all day long back and forth to the center of Rome. This makes it easy to drop luggage in your room and go into Rome for some more exploring on your own after you get off the ship.

We will arriving on a Wednesday. It may be also helpful to know that this is not the NCL epics main debarktion port - it's Barcelona, so there will be far less people exiting the ship that day (by at least 2-3000) as it will only be a regular port day for them. I would love to stay extra, but we will be staying in Rome pre-cruise and unfortunately wouldn't have any further time off work to stay an extra night :/

If you get off the ship at 8 am, pick up luggage, look for private transfer driver or use ship transfer/wait for bus to fill with other passengers , assume 30-45 min here, give it an hour to play it safe, 9 am; drive to Rome Airport - 45 min no delay - 10 am, begin the security process for US flights, my recollection is it took us about 2 hours to go through it all, 12 noon.

Most flights have a set cut off time fir checkin at the airport these days, I guess that would be what I would want to know as well.

If I was trying to make the flight the same day, I would try to get off the ship at 7am or 7:30 am at the latest. To get off this early you need to be able to carry off all your own luggage.

After telling you all of this I recall on our last flight from Rome on American Airlines, we went through the whole process only to find the American flight was delayed for initially 1.5 hours, that turned into 2 hr delay. So even the best plans don't always play out as planned.

We will arriving on a Wednesday. It may be also helpful to know that this is not the NCL epics main debarktion port - it's Barcelona, so there will be far less people exiting the ship that day (by at least 2-3000) as it will only be a regular port day for them. I would love to stay extra, but we will be staying in Rome pre-cruise and unfortunately wouldn't have any further time off work to stay an extra night :/

Don't know how many passengers are on the EPIC? How many others are doing this? Would think you would be able to get off the ship once it is cleared. Again I would try to get off around 7am or 7:30 am.... your priority is getting to the Rome Airport. Don't see any reason to wait til 8am if you can get off earlier.

Don't know how many passengers are on the EPIC? How many others are doing this? Would think you would be able to get off the ship once it is cleared. Again I would try to get off around 7am or 7:30 am.... your priority is getting to the Rome Airport. Don't see any reason to wait til 8am if you can get off earlier.

We will definately not wait until 8am unless we have to. We will do self disembark and carry off our own luggage, so with 6am arrival time I would hope to be off the ship by 7:30a as long as everything goes fine with clearing customs at port. Have private transportation waiting for us at 7:30a and then 1 hour to the airport, puts us there around 8:30-9a. 11:55a flight...that would give us at least 3 hours.

We would do it with a flight after 11, but also agree that it is best to prebook a private transfer. The last time we did this we simply posted on our Roll Call looking for 2 other couples to share a private transfer (this reduces the cost per person). Within an hour we had our 2 other couples and we then arranged for a transfer through Romecabs (often recommended on this forum). Our driver was waiting when we got off the ship and we were in the FCO terminal in about 50 min.

Hank

• 3 weeks later...

On June 10th on Celebity. Celebity disembarkation is done on flights times.

Our flight time was 12 noon and our disembark time was 8:30.We were called 15 minutes early got our luggage, used one of the Celebity transfer buses. The travel time from port to airport is about 50-60 minutes.

Remember looking at my watch just after our luggage check-in and it was

9:45 a.m. Plenty of time to get thru security and get to the gate.

I just want to say thank you for the hotel suggestion. We too have a flight out at 11:20 and decided that instead of ending our vacation rushing to the airport and worrying about time we would just spend the night, relax and enjoy the last day in Italy. The shuttle is another plus. Thanks again.

• 3 months later...

Hello, Our flight is back to Canada so there is a layover in Amsterdam or Munich first and then back to Canada.

What is the earliest time that Haven guests can debark? We have an 11:30am flight on a Wednesday (Aug 29, 2015)

I appreciate anyone's help....