Optional formal dress code

On our Norway cruise July 10th there are two formal optional nights. I would welcome advice as to what percentage of guests actually wear formal wear on these occasions in order to help with the packing!

On our Monte Carlo to RIO cruise last year there were two optional formal nights. Many of the guys in our particular group all decided to wear tux's, just for fun, and the ladies dressed a bit more than usual (no long gowns, just dressy cocktail attire), I was actually surprised how many others did dress up more, there were many men in tux's.

However, that said, others in our somewhat large group just went with the normal dress code, or maybe some men added a jacket, and many others around the ship followed the normal dress code and were appropriately dressed. No one felt out of place that I am aware of whether in a tux or those just wearing a shirt and slacks.

If you like to dress up, a suit for your husband, or a nice jacket with shirt, tie and slacks will be fine, or if he likes a tux then go for it. If you prefer not to dress up, then you won't feel out of place following the normal dress code. Those two nights are usually on the Captain's welcome (usually second night, but can vary) and Captain's farewell, (next to last night).

Have a great cruise, and truly, just go with what makes you comfortable, the regular dress code is perfectlly acceptable if that is what you prefer.

Edited by ridolphi

On our Norway cruise, there were two optional formal nights. I did wear a gown, just because I like to use any opportunity to dress up. My husband wore a dark suit. There were some tuxes as well, but not a lot. And plenty of people just doing the regular dress code. So do what makes you most comfortable, but don't feel like you will look out of place if you don't wear gown or tux.

JoAnne,

We are on the same cruise. How do you know about the 'formal' nights? We have cruised with Regent several times and it is always an anticipated surprise on the longer itineraries, but I have never seen it posted anywhere.

I count on dressing up a little more for the Captain's reception, Prime 7 and Signatures, but that is my nature anyway. Any excuse to add some sparkle!

Soon I will be checking the weather, thinking about packing and counting sleeps!

JoAnne' date='

We are on the same cruise. How do you know about the 'formal' nights? We have cruised with Regent several times and it is always an anticipated surprise on the longer itineraries, but I have never seen it posted anywhere.

I count on dressing up a little more for the Captain's reception, Prime 7 and Signatures, but that is my nature anyway. Any excuse to add some sparkle!

Soon I will be checking the weather, thinking about packing and counting sleeps![/quote']

If you look on our roll call, I posted when the two formal nights will take place. Also on the roll call, Jackie (Travel Cat 2) is asking for your names (and location if you wish to be more specific than "Canada") See http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1793733&page=2 She's setting up a meet and greet.

Speaking as a guy who always wears a jacket in the evening, the addition of a tie on formal nights made me feel totally comfortable and pretty much "middle of the pack" among the gentlemen's varied attire.

My DH will wear a sports jacket -- maybe a tie. We are a 28 night cruise and do not have room in our luggage for a suit and do feel that he needs to have one. He will dress similarly for the night of the Captain's Reception, Seven Seas Society party, etc.

Thank you all for your replies, I think I will give the tux a miss as we will need some thicker clothing for parts of the itinerary and weight is a problem with luggage.

Witt's End, I found out initially from Joan&Joe's post and went back to look at the documentation Regent sent with the final details and the formal nights are listed along with the itinerary but I hadn't noticed. Its a few years since we had a formal night on Regent so I took it that smart casual was the usual code.

Witt's End, I found out initially from Joan&Joe's post and went back to look at the documentation Regent sent with the final details and the formal nights are listed along with the itinerary but I hadn't noticed. Its a few years since we had a formal night on Regent so I took it that smart casual was the usual code.

Swansong, now that John and Katie Witt have added their names to the roll call, we could use your names.

Formal optional on 7/11, Kristiansand, and 7/23. sea day.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Swansong - we're on the Mariner in September and although there are no formal nights scheduled, I have read that a jacket and tie are required for Signatures restaurant. Is that correct or will a sport jacket with no tie be acceptable?

Neither a jacket or a tie are ever required on Regent anywhere on the ship. Also, no "Formal Nites" They are Formal Optional meaning they are up to the passenger whether they choose to follow the Formal or Elegant Casual dress. Many people don't bring coats or ties with them at all as they are unnecessary.

Edited by rallydave

Neither a jacket or a tie are ever required on Regent anywhere on the ship. Also, no "Formal Nites" They are Formal Optional meaning they are up to the passenger whether they choose to follow the Formal or Elegant Casual dress. Many people don't bring coats or ties with them at all as they are unnecessary.

Thank you Dave - that's good to know. Even Cruise Critic said: "There are two other alternative dining venues aboard Mariner. The 100-seat Signatures has the distinction of being one of two Cordon Bleu restaurants at sea. (The other is, of course, Regent Seven Seas' Seven Seas Voyager.) This is, perhaps, the only restaurant afloat that always requires gentlemen to wear jackets."

Thank you Dave - that's good to know. Even Cruise Critic said: "There are two other alternative dining venues aboard Mariner. The 100-seat Signatures has the distinction of being one of two Cordon Bleu restaurants at sea. (The other is, of course, Regent Seven Seas' Seven Seas Voyager.) This is, perhaps, the only restaurant afloat that always requires gentlemen to wear jackets."

Interesting quote you found that must be many years old. Regent dropped the requirement for coats or ties about 4 years ago and at about that time did not renew their agreement with Cordon Bleu thus it is still Signatures and the meals are similiar to when it was Cordon Bleu however, there is no relationship to Cordon Bleu at the present time.

Check out where you found that quote and you will find it is very old and not applicable currently. Have a wonderful time and enjoy Signatures and Prime 7 as well as MDR.

Interesting quote you found that must be many years old. Regent dropped the requirement for coats or ties about 4 years ago and at about that time did not renew their agreement with Cordon Bleu thus it is still Signatures and the meals are similiar to when it was Cordon Bleu however, there is no relationship to Cordon Bleu at the present time.

Check out where you found that quote and you will find it is very old and not applicable currently. Have a wonderful time and enjoy Signatures and Prime 7 as well as MDR.

I found that quote by selecting Mariner in the Cruise Critic reviews pull down menu. I just assumed Cruise Critic would have current ship information but now that you mention it, I can't find a date listed, can you? http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=133&pgtype=dining Anyway, relieved to hear it's a thing of the past. We experienced a formal cruise with Cunard and it wasn't for us.