Taxi Tours in Corner Brook Newfoundland?

Are there taxis waiting at the port in Corner Brook? We can't seem to find much to do there and the ship excursions don't offer much except HIGH prices....Can anyone help? We are on the Summit from 9am-6pm on Oct 1st. Thanks! Really would like to see the scenery.

Edited by not2old

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1696049

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1668175

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1203097

Also look here: http://www.tomsportguides.com/

I think renting a car is the way to go. However you can contact the taxi companies ahead of time too. Go to the website Canada411 and do a search.

I live in Corner Brook. And I can't imagine coming to the West Coast and not seeing Gros Morne National Park. I go there just to see it and I lived there for a few years :)

Hi "kq"! We'd LOVE to go there but need some more guidance infinding ways to get there other than the pricey Ship tour.

I've been doing a lot of research on both TA and CC and I see lots of folks who were asking questions about private tours But - unless I missed the posts - I can't find any reports from folks who actually rented car or used a private tour company who could share their experience.

I'm hoping someone is still subscribed to this thread. Or maybe you have ideas.

We are on Celebrity Summit in September. The ship also offers a City Panoramic Tour fot about $60 that lasts 2.5 hours. Problem is it doesn't give details and I don't think Corner Brook is that big, is it?

Thanks for your help!

Steve

Hi "kq"! We'd LOVE to go there but need some more guidance infinding ways to get there other than the pricey Ship tour.

I've been doing a lot of research on both TA and CC and I see lots of folks who were asking questions about private tours But - unless I missed the posts - I can't find any reports from folks who actually rented car or used a private tour company who could share their experience.

I'm hoping someone is still subscribed to this thread. Or maybe you have ideas.

We are on Celebrity Summit in September. The ship also offers a City Panoramic Tour fot about $60 that lasts 2.5 hours. Problem is it doesn't give details and I don't think Corner Brook is that big, is it?

Thanks for your help!

Steve

Corner Brook is not that big. I can't find the details on the excursion to look it up. But i figure it must go down the bay or across the bay so that visitors get more than just the city?? No idea. I noticed you are willing to rent a car. Enterprise has a spot in Corner Brook. and I think their moto is they will pick you up hahaha :) if you have any questions feel free to email me. It's my name on here with hotmail :)

• 1 month later...
Are there taxis waiting at the port in Corner Brook? We can't seem to find much to do there and the ship excursions don't offer much except HIGH prices....Can anyone help? We are on the Summit from 9am-6pm on Oct 1st. Thanks! Really would like to see the scenery.

Did you find anything? Or make a decision on one of the ship's tours? Just curious, we are on the cruise with you and haven't made a decision on Corner Brook yet.

Did you find anything? Or make a decision on one of the ship's tours? Just curious, we are on the cruise with you and haven't made a decision on Corner Brook yet.

BuddyBee we are on the cruise ahead of you (9/7 -summit) - don't worry, we'll leave some food for you folks. :)

Since I read so much about Gros Morne Park I wanted to see it. And KqCallahan has been most helpful in encouraging me to go there. My research revealed that the X's shore excursion on a big bus is $180 and includes lunch - but the reviews of lunch were poor. I tried to find a tour guide - I prefer not to rent a car as I can take photos instead of driving. :D

It turns out that because NL is not a big cruise ship destination (It's basically the Summit twice this year) it's not a full time occupation. I did find a guy who gives tours in his 8 passenger upscale Van and can take up to 7 folks. We chose a 6 hour tour vs 8hours so we could see some of cornerbrook. We now have 5 of us (looking for a 6th) and cost is between $80 and $100 per person vs the $180 from ship. (and we are not committed to the ships's "lunch schedule". I don't know if he - Dave Chafe - has availability for your day there but yiou might want to contact him and get a group together. We gave him a small deposit via credit card and will pay rest at end of the tour. His website is:

www.grosmornescenictours.com

Yo can mention that we are booked with him two weeks beforee you.

Steve (getting psyched!)

Yes we decided on the ship tour of Corner brook hope it s a good one!

CornerBrook is having it's 150th anniversary this year so there will be events. But I'm told that the town is small and easily walkable.

BTW to both Buddy and not2old - if you have Netflix or Amazon Streaming Video I can recommend a really neat crime show (actually funny too) which is filmed in NL (St. Johns, not Corner Brook) called The Republic of Foyle. It is from 2010 but First Season just came out and I've been loving it. Gives me a feel for the island.

Steve

BTW to both Buddy and not2old - if you have Netflix or Amazon Streaming Video I can recommend a really neat crime show (actually funny too) which is filmed in NL (St. Johns, not Corner Brook) called The Republic of Foyle. It is from 2010 but First Season just came out and I've been loving it. Gives me a feel for the island.

Steve

Are you sure :D

It is called the Republic of DOYLE

My error :(

You're right. Have you seen it? It's great. Season 2 comes in October to the US.

S

season 6 up here ..if you google there are other sites to watch it

Do you get any of the CBC stations in your area?