Stains in Staterooms on Golden Princess???

happygirl72

We got back last week from our cruise to Alaska on the Golden Princess, and I was concerned with what looked like very large stains on the floor of our stateroom. The largest one was in front of our bed and was spanned pretty much the length of the bed. I spoke to our stateroom attendant who acted very confused like he couldn't see it even though it was very obvious. I finally spoke to someone in charge who told us it was not a stain but rather lighting that made it look like one. I thought that at first as well but there were marks/stains even when no light was on.

Have any of your guys noticed this issue? My parents are wanting to take a trip to Alaska and I am wondering if this is prevalent throughout the ship. I am not sure I want to recommend a ship that looks like there are stains all over the staterooms. I have tried to figure out how to post a picture but can't seem to figure it out.

Edited by happygirl72

It's important to note that at times there WILL be stains in cabin. Even if a carpet is cleaned as well as possible, certain things can fundamentally alter the color of fabric. That doesn't mean the carpet is dirty, and will be there until the carpet is changed, something they can't always do right away.

Some of the chemicals used in a noro clean can bleach fabric for example if used in a strong concentration.

Not saying that applies in this case, just that in an otherwise clean room, a stain is not always a big deal.

I have to admit that looking at that photo, I don't think it's a stain. It could be a combination of things such as sun bleaching (note how the sun comes into the cabin and how the corner of the bed coincides with the bulge of the edge of the dark area), chemicals used to clean the carpet, and perhaps the way the carpet nap was vacuumed. The more I look at the photo, the way the sun comes in and how closely the edge of the darker area matches the direction of the sun and the bed, I'm convinced it's sun damage.

Edited by Pam in CA

I doubt this is an issue with your ship. There are probably cabins on every ship that have carpet issues due to a variety of reasons (same problems we have in our house). I wouldn't advise against the ship due to one cabin. I would view your entire ship experience and base your decision on that if you would recommend the ship.

This is a decision you must make for yourself. I'm not sure the rest of us can really help you. Was the carpet wet? Did the carpet smell? Did the cabin smell? Did you enjoy your cruise? Do you have an alternative cruise line you can recommend based on a stain-less experience? Is it essential to your parents that the carpet not have any such mark on it for them to enjoy their cruise? Presumably you showed the picture to your folks; they are the ones who must decide.

Our experience on Princess was that the housekeeping was not stellar. This detracted from my enjoyment of the cruise somewhat, but mostly because Princess had been built up in my mind as being a much higher-end experience than it actually was. (I had read way too many Princess threads!) I believe that folks who have realistic expectations of the ship and the cruise line are the ones who will enjoy themselves the most, because they get what they are expecting and are less likely to be disappointed.

It would be truly an injustice to judge an entire ship based on one cabin. The picture really looks like fading to me. If it isn't wet and doesn't smell, I wouldn't worry about it.:)

We clean carpets for a living. Not all carpets are the same. Being on a ship it is harder to keep the carpets cleaner. The padding underneath is not that great so any spills into the carpet go straight to the pad. We have a truck mounted machine which heats up water extremely hot. And it also comes down to the suction. So when they do clean them it may not all come out and the chemicals will change the color as well.

I can tell you horror stories that look worse than that carpet. In your picture it could be a few different things. You would really need to look at in person to see what it is. But the cleaning people do the best they can when they clean the carpets.

As long as it was not sticky or felt cruddy I would not worry to much.

I was trying to figure out what the bump at the far end was....someone's knees under the covers :confused:

Nobody was in the bed so it couldn't have been someone's knees. The comforter was just messy on the side as I had sat there earlier packing my backpack.

The stain/mark didn't smell, wasn't wet,etc. It was just off color and made the room look unattractive. There were other spots around the room but the one in the picture was by far the biggest.

We did have a good time, but it just bothered me. When you pay a lot of money for a big trip, you just want it to be perfect and the room just didn't look as nice as I expected a Princess room to be. I haven't shown my parents the picture yet as I am just now getting my pictures together. I will show them and let them make a decision. It's good to know that these stain/marks aren't in all the staterooms.

Edited by happygirl72

One thing to keep in mind about the cleanliness issue in your cabin. It isn't like a hotel, where if the carpet gets really stained bad (or whatever the issue might be) the hotel can pull the room out of service to fix it. Hotels almost always have more capacity than guests. Cruise ships sail FULL (poorly kept secret that there are a few empty cabins that are put aside for emergencies), so if it needs to be thoroughly cleaned, it may have to wait until it can be scheduled.

We did have a good time, but it just bothered me. When you pay a lot of money for a big trip, you just want it to be perfect and the room just didn't look as nice as I expected a Princess room to be.

If a blotchy carpet was the worst thing to happen to me on a cruise, I think I'd be pretty happy. :) I'm glad you had a good time.

When you pay a lot of money for a big trip, you just want it to be perfect and the room just didn't look as nice as I expected a Princess room to be.

I think this says it all right here. If you expect perfection, you are likely to be disappointed. I am the same way, so I understand where you are coming from. I often have to remind myself...its no big deal, don't let it mess up the vacation! It really is better, though, if you can just let these things go. Sometimes easier said than done, believe me, I know...;)

When you pay a lot of money for a big trip, you just want it to be perfect and the room just didn't look as nice as I expected a Princess room to be.
While it seems like a lot of money, chances are you're spending less per diem than you would for a hotel in a major city that wouldn't have included food and entertainment. I've seen far worse than discolored carpet on HAL, Celebrity and RCCL and it's never bothered me.

Not to mention perfection is rarely achieved, if ever, anywhere. I wouldn't let something this insignificant bother me as long as it's clean. If it was truly dirty, I would have called passenger services.

Pam is absolutely correct in that you'd pay three to five times what you're paying for a 3 to 4 star hotel. Like everyone else, cabin stewards have good and bad days and are definitely overworked.

If you want perfection in a cruise line, I suggest you look to the luxury lines like Crystal, Oceania or Regent, but you may not like their prices!

Edited by Working 2 Cruise

you'd pay three to five times what you're paying for a 3 to 4 star hotel. Like everyone else, cabin stewards have good and bad days and are definitely overworked.

That would depend on the cabin type as we pay far more for a cruise than we have ever paid for even a 5 star hotel.

Mike:)

That would depend on the cabin type as we pay far more for a cruise than we have ever paid for even a 5 star hotel.

It would be interesting to compare full suites per diem to five-star hotels considering that you'd have to pay for all meals, snacks, drinks and any entertainment... I'd like to see the results. Of course, you can spend just as much on a ship, but not necessarily...

It would be interesting to compare full suites per diem to five-star hotels considering that you'd have to pay for all meals, snacks, drinks and any entertainment... I'd like to see the results. Of course, you can spend just as much on a ship, but not necessarily...

You can certainly do that. Just pick a Four Seasons or Noble House hotel etc and you will find they are quite a bit cheaper than a PH, OS or GS cabin.

And Pam stated "excluding food and entertainment".

Like I said it would depend on the cabin type.

I think the price we pay for a cruise is more than fair. We can choose what cabin we want, and from an inside to the most expensive, we all can eat non-stop, if we prefer to do so. Transportation from country to country and, albeit,

not the best entertainment on the planet, but acceptable. There is usually something for everyone to do, quiet reading or trivia.

I returned from Vegas last week and had lunch at a small deli at the MGM Grand.

Two burgers w/fries and two cokes totaled, without tip, $43.50. That's another reason I believe cruising is a great deal.

Spent 31 days on the Golden this past March, no problems

Edited by EightFurryPaws

I'm a bit like you. I like my room tidy and my carpet clean, it's the first thing I look at when I enter the room. If it's not wet, doesn't have an odor and there's no obvious dirt - I would have closed the drapes, turned on the lights and checked to see if it were shadows or discoloration from the sun. If all this were negative then I would assume it was a badly stained carpet and, I 'd ask the Purser's desk if they would please try and clean it one more time. I'd just want to know that it was a stain that would not come out......YUCK! Not that I'd be happy about it but, at least, I'd know it was not filth & dirt!

The ship keeps these cleaning tools ready to be used at a moments notice....it's not a big deal for them to appease me! They could do it when I was at dinner.

Hey, I walk and cruise through life with a Service Dog.......I don't like him to be exposed to dirty carpets any more than me.