Stains in Staterooms on Golden Princess???

happygirl72

On our last cruise they asked us which port would we be gone all day. We asked why and they said our cabin was due for new carpet and they wanted to change it. I checked the carpet over and I was surprised they were changing it out, there were no stains just a little fading. We left for the day came back at 3pm and they were all done. I'm sure they would change that carpet if that was a stain. I was also told that were were doing 2 to 3 rooms a day depending on the size of the room till the whole ship was done.

The ships normally have a crew of carpet layers so changes can be made quickly. That said we have occasionally had slightly stained or discoloured carpet in many cabins and indeed hotels but seldom is it a serious issue. However, on a cruise aboard the HAL's Oosterdam a few years ago the carpet was terribly stained as were the all cushions on the cabin and balcony chairs...then there was stained table linen and pool towels...we are not in a hurry to return.

The ships normally have a crew of carpet layers so changes can be made quickly. That said we have occasionally had slightly stained or discoloured carpet in many cabins and indeed hotels but seldom is it a serious issue. However, on a cruise aboard the HAL's Oosterdam a few years ago the carpet was terribly stained as were the all cushions on the cabin and balcony chairs...then there was stained table linen and pool towels...we are not in a hurry to return.

I can't say as I blame you. I would NEVER return to a ship of such poor standards!

I could have dealt with the linens. Was in a hotel where they had a backup of rust into the laundry system that discolored the towels and sheets in spots (they were clean) - the hotel apologized in that they had replacements arriving in 2 days and if something like that happened on a ship might be a bit longer.

But that combination of stains indicates a lack of proper care (stains in one cabin can be attributed to prior cruiser to some extent, but linens don't stay in the cabin, so that's a shipwide thing)

One thing to keep in mind about the cleanliness issue in your cabin. It isn't like a hotel, where if the carpet gets really stained bad (or whatever the issue might be) the hotel can pull the room out of service to fix it. Hotels almost always have more capacity than guests. Cruise ships sail FULL (poorly kept secret that there are a few empty cabins that are put aside for emergencies), so if it needs to be thoroughly cleaned, it may have to wait until it can be scheduled.

Regarding this particular stain, its unfortunate but I think given the number of people in and out of Golden Princess every week, it's inevitable that cabin furnishing will show wear and tear. I agree that if it wasn't wet and didn't smell, it wouldn't bother me.

That being said, I was on Grand Princess last year and there was a very small and barely noticable water stain by the balcony slider where water had apparently leaked in (the slider and been re-caulked and was no longer leaking). We were asked if we minded if they changed the carpet - and they did it in about two hours. We had to be out of the cabin during that time which was fine as we were ashore...upon returning, brand new carpet!

Good grief!!!! It is not going to kill you to put up with it!! The mark is not going to wake up in the middle of the night and do nasty things to you!!!

Get over it and stop dwelling on trivial and insignificant little things and enjoy the holiday. The more you dwell on BS like that the less you enjoy life.

Could be a water damage stain from the ceiling, the A/C or shower blockage. No big deal. We were on Golden for a month in March BA to LA, she was in good order.

Edited by NSWP

We had a carpet on the Coral last month that looked pretty much like that. It seemed clean - not sticky or gummed up and didn't smell. We were in the same cabin from Ft. lauderdale to Anchorage and it really wasn't an issue. We were able to stay in the cabin the whole way and loved the entire cruise.

I'm not a fussy person by any means but I would be more concerned with having brand new carpeting put down in a cabin because of the "new carpet" chemical smell. Of course, if it was a balcony cabin, no problem.

I'm not a fussy person by any means but I would be more concerned with having brand new carpeting put down in a cabin because of the "new carpet" chemical smell. Of course, if it was a balcony cabin, no problem.

And not only the smell - I once was in a cabin with a new carpet and the fluff that came off it!

Good grief!!!! It is not going to kill you to put up with it!! The mark is not going to wake up in the middle of the night and do nasty things to you!!!

Get over it and stop dwelling on trivial and insignificant little things and enjoy the holiday. The more you dwell on BS like that the less you enjoy life.

I wish there were a "like" button.

It would be interesting to compare full suites per diem to five-star hotels considering that you'd have to pay for all meals, snacks, drinks and any entertainment... I'd like to see the results. Of course, you can spend just as much on a ship, but not necessarily...

We recently booked a window suite for 14 days. it came to $100 per day per person. We felt it was a steal. We will most likely also have close to $1000 in OBCs besides all the suite and Elite perks.

We recently booked a window suite for 14 days. it came to $100 per day per person. We felt it was a steal. We will most likely also have close to $1000 in OBCs besides all the suite and Elite perks.

That is a deal! I recently was quoted twice that (per person per day) for a window suite on a shorter cruise.