Small touches other lines do that you'd like Royal to do as well

Like others posters, I'd like a change to laundry service . Unlike other lines, the wash and fold bag is limited to certain types of items. Whether I pay the special rate or get it as a C&A freebie, I'm limited to shorts, tshirts, socks, undies and such. I dislike being asked to pay to have a pair of pants washed when my bag is otherwise half empty. Unlimited laundry for upper tier members would be sweet, but short of that, I'd be happy if they'd eleminate the restrictions on the "fill the bag" (like NCL) or even if they'd give loyalty members a specific item count (like Celebrity).

Good thread! The little things really can make a difference:

1. When you come back from shore excursions, they should have a tent set up on the dock with water, lemonade, and some sofas to relax in, like they do on Celebrity.

2. Stop with the announcements. Celebrity has one a day...it's plenty!

3. Stop with the beach towel check out system.

4. (pipe dream, I know) Stop with the excessive shopping promotions and the stupid sidewalk "sales". Really cheapens the ambiance/experience!

It's like you read my mind....ditto,ditto,ditto!

Perhaps, Royal could be more like Disney:

1. Mickey bars from room service.

2. Fireworks at Sea.

3. Castaway Cay, the best private island in the Caribbean.

4. Best entertainment at sea (though Royal now does have some Broadway Shows).

5. A proper movie theater, with free popcorn.

6. A Captain's Party with full specialty drinks.

7. Brunch at sea, at Palo's.

8. Staterooms with a double bathroom setup.

9. Teak decks around the ship.

10. Rotational dining, with the same servers/tablemates.

This is not small- but we'd like to see mini-fridges in all cabins as they do on some lines.

I second that! And I'm quietly surprised that it slipped my mind in my first post since it was something I asked my steward about on my last cruise :rolleyes:

Although then I guess it cuts down on the tips that room service will receive if no one is ordering ice anymore but I hate the way that your wine (or water bottle for that matter) just doesn't get cold all the way through in an ice bucket with the neck sticking out the top AND the condensation makes a mess on the already cluttered tabletop :mad:

So, my amended list:

1. Self service laundries with irons

2. Mini fridges

In that order of importance :D

That one I think would be great - nothing like turning diamond one day into the cruise and having to wait until your next time for the extra perks.

This was on my mind knowing how far away we were, and searching for the right 8-day cruise, instead of doing the usual 7 and then hitting it on day one two cruses out.

We only have the one of Celebrity to compare to, but I miss the chocolates on the pillow. That move just seemed seriously corner-cutty to me, plus I saved them to toss into my oatmeal the next morning (try it before you go saying 'euhhh' now! OK, guess you can't since the chocolates are gone)

I also appreciated Celebrity welcoming us aboard with a flute of champagne, and the cold towels and lemonade coming back from excursions.

The positive comments about Carnival are noted. My wife wants to get her boss on a 'girls weekend' cruise, but she's west coast, So Cal and won't fly. Carnival is their most likely option and she's kinda :roll eyes: about it.

OP, you made a great list although some would say that each brand tries to offer a few things that the competition doesn't.

That being said I love Carnival's afternoon tea service.

Ditto. Love the afternoon tea.

Pizza bar

Sushi bar

Fewer not more specialty dining. It's all about the money I guess.

Frozen yogurt machine. I gained 8 pounds.

WE miss the Violins on a nightly basis in the MDR that they always had years ago. I think what they have done is to hold down the overall price of a cruise so they can get a larger audience of people to fill all the cabins that are available at sea. We used to like the special treatment that a cruise provided but also like the affordability that a cruise does provide.

We have been on 5 cruise lines and like to see the variety.

-Cold towels & water after a hot day at port.

-DYI laundry facilities. Use this when we sail Princess and love it! A load or 2 right before the end of the cruise makes the unpacking chore bearable w/out all the laundry.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

2. Fireworks at Sea.

I agree totally :-)

I just wish they would keep a small section of the Lido deck buffet open 24 hours, or at least till two AM. We like a late night bite, I don't want room service at that hour, much less having to pay for it.

Princess is a little more generous with internet minutes for Platinum and Elite members.

They also offer free laundry to Elites. This would be a nice perk, since Royal Caribbean doesn't even have laundry facilities on their ships.

You can even buy bottles of liquor for your stateroom.

I won't mention the little mini-bar set-up for Elites and suites. Oh, I just did....;)

I am not a Princess cheerleader, but those things are a little nicer to have, especially laundry on longer cruises.

I agree on all Elite perks. Princess also lets me combine all my OBCs and even gives me an OBC for being a veteran. They also refund unused OBCs. Not nearly so many hard to understand rules and regulations.

Really good thread!

Here are my suggestions:

1. Jr. Suites actually have a more private vanity area (not one that is in the center of the room....just like balcony's cabins are)

2. Friendlier staff.....it's been 5 years since we last cruised with RCCL on the Adventure of the Seas and we saw so much times where the staff were not getting along. Minor things like rolling eyes...comments like "you do it." We are sailing on the NOS in 2 months. I really hope this has changed.

3. NCL now has a welcome back party as your board the ship from Cozumel's port. (don't know if they have expanded it into other ports.) The also have a tent...sofas...wet towels...water.

OceanDreams

my $0.02 (all small things)

1. Laundry room so I can wash gym clothes, instead of packing for 9 days of gym clothes. I suspect that CCL makes a a small profit at 3 bucks for wash and 3 bucks for dry. Granted, it's less profit than 30 bucks a bag.

2. MDR lunch on embark to avoid WJ madhouse.

3. Cold towels and water on return to ship.

4. Beverages and snack (hot dog, burger) on pool deck to reduce crowds in WJ.

2. Fireworks at Sea.

But then it would be Disney and it is NOT.....

From my perspective, what I would like is a drink station or two at the pool deck, that would be self service.

I would like a lunch BBQ set up each day at poolside from noon to 2 PM on sea days. Not everyone would partake in it, since many like to go inside and sit in the MDR or in the buffet or specialty dining areas that ships like Allure/Oasis have -- but for those that want to make it a 'day at the pool' they can without any hassles.

Not really much else.

I was recently on the Breakaway and NCL has a great app called Norwegian iConcierge that connects to the ship's WIFI at no charge.

With the app you can:

- view restaurant information and menus

- make dinner reservations.

- access and review your onboard folio (account)

- view and book entertainment

- view the daily activities

and lots of other things regarding the spa, port information, shopping, etc. You can also call and text other app-using guests onboard as often as you wish for a flat fee of $7.95 per device per cruise.

It would be great if RCCL would offer a phone app like that.

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is I wish they had robes like Carnival does.(I just happened to read about robes on another thread that made me think of this)

I'm Emerald on RCI and I've gotten free robes on every RCI cruise I've sailed on since the last loyalty level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are some small, simple, or subtle details, design differences, or operational differences you've experienced on other cruise lines that you'd like to RCI copy/implement/improve upon.

Princess - One MDR is open on embarkation day for lunch and rooms are open at boarding time (although boarding may not be as early as on RCI). Also on the pool deck there is ice cream (at least on Royal Princess) served by a staff member inside a kiosk. This makes things operate efficiently and CLEANLY. More haste, less waste. Sometimes the ice cream machine on RCI ships looks like a warzone and not appealing, which is kind of off given the limited time it is even open:confused:.

Carnival - No kidding, I like their luggage mats. I know RCI beds get "turned down" for the evening and are not made up like when you walk in, but luggage goes through God knows where in transport, I like the heavy vinyl protective mat Carnival gives over the bedding. Simple, effective, practical.

I also like their Early Saver type fares. They come with restrictions, but usually are cheaper than regular fare and you can get credited OBC for price drops up until a very, very short time before sailing.

NCL - Waterslides, ropes obstacle courses, "Walk the plank" (Exactly like what it sounds - they have a beam hanging out off the top deck and you walk over the side of the ship and a camera snaps your picture too). These may not appeal to an older crowd, but they may keep the kids out of the hottubs and making noise elsewhere!

If RCI wants to drive business in specialty dining they should follow NCL's lead with their Ultimate Dining Plan.

I hardly think a response of "If you like that, go sail them instead" is appropriate either. I'm not whining about RCI. I'm looking at things other companies do right to enhance the experience and saying RCI should look to incorporate them. I am sure many people here have sailed numerous and various lines and have seen things or ways things are done, that they like and would like to see on RCI.

Many of these types of changes would involve minimal (opening MDR section boarding day, making kiosk and employee to serve pool deck ice cream, luggage mats) to moderate in cost (ropes courses, waterslides, etc.). Some drive additional profit for no cost(ultimate dining plan; perhaps some plan similar to Carnivals Faster to the Fun which people go BERSERK TO THE LIMIT over). None of the ideas take away currently free spaces; they create enhancements and add new free and for cost options to reduce crowding.

Heck, if you like the thermostat on a Holland America ship it's fair game in here.

P.A.T. # like on Disney Cruise Lines. So much better having a boarding number / Port Arrival time at the pier rather then it being an open cattle call!

Sail and Sign Kiosks like on Carnival. Easy to use. Don't have to wait in line at the pursers desk.

Sanitize , Sanitize, Sanitize like DCL! Our last Disney Cruise they wouldn't let you in an food venue without wiping your hands down with an antibacterial wipe.

RFID Cards like DCL. It was great being able to leave it tucked in a lanyard rather then fishing it out and trying it in the door 2-3 times.. just tap and go!

Edited by vacation_junkie