Scooter rentals in Bermuda

Beachdude

Hi All

I've started a thread on the Bermuda forum, but because of the larger number of cruisers on this forum, I wanted to ask what scooter rental company you would recommend in Bermuda.

I've read that scooters can be a bit risky, but we are thinking of trying one for a day. Any recommendations from you experiences are welcome.

Thanks

Burt

Despite the risks and the cruise line advising against renting them , there will be a mad rush to the scooter rentals nearest the ship.

I found all of the company's fees and equipment similar .

Just realize the dangers , practice, practice , before taking on the main roads .

10 Bermuda cruises under our belt , always rented scooter (even when they were mo-peds) and never had a accident . However ,guaranteed someone will be at dinner in bandages (seen it every trip ). Those rocks that line the roadways are deadly.

Edited by MCC retired

I've used Oleander a number of times - they are probably the biggest, and have locations all over the island - you probably won't need it, but good to have if you have a breakdown and need a replacement, which would be more likely from a small operator (poor maintenance) and less available due to small size.

One strong suggestion: it would be a good idea for you to rent a scooter at home before your trip so you can get the feel of riding one - learning how to handle one while at the same time learning to drive on the left is what gives first-timers problems.

One strong suggestion: it would be a good idea for you to rent a scooter at home before your trip so you can get the feel of riding one - learning how to handle one while at the same time learning to drive on the left is what gives first-timers problems.

Hmm, I haven't thought about needing to ride one because I have a Harley and ride often. But maybe you are right about getting use to the size. I have been wondering about the left side of the road. I'm going to try and take the advice of one poster here who said he would watch traffic for awhile and then get on the road. He said the key is not to get in any hurry and pull over anytime he felt stressed like cars wanting to pass or circle intersections.

Burt

Scooter mishaps can happen anywhere, but riding on the other side of the road can be quite a challenge if you have not done so before. You sound like an experienced rider (Harley), but still take caution to the traffic patterns as mentioned in other posts. Those buses take wide turns around corners!

We thought it was a brilliant idea at the time, and unfortunately, my beautiful reminder of Bermuda is a number of permanent scars on my arms and legs. Fortunately I had my helmet on! Yes, I showed for dinner with bandages!

Edited by brunello22

Hmm, I haven't thought about needing to ride one because I have a Harley and ride often. But maybe you are right about getting use to the size. I have been wondering about the left side of the road. I'm going to try and take the advice of one poster here who said he would watch traffic for awhile and then get on the road. He said the key is not to get in any hurry and pull over anytime he felt stressed like cars wanting to pass or circle intersections.

Burt

I've been riding for 40+ years. I've rented scooters every time I've gone to Bermuda. The only time I got in trouble was wile going through a twisty-turny residential area I came out of one turn and realized I was on the wrong side of the road. Luckily, no other car was coming.

But that shows that after many years of riding sometimes your muscle-memory just takes over. Be very careful even if you're experienced. Luckily, the Bermudans are used to visitors on scooters and are very polite.