ISTANBUL - Need advice on timings and order of sites

Hi, my husband and I will be in Istanbul for the first time early July and I am trying to put together a rough idea of what we want to do and what order to do it in and how long to allow. I would really really appreciate it if I could get advice on these matters from more seasoned travellers!

Time in port: 7:30am-5pm

What we want to do:

• Hagia Sophia
  • Basilica Cistern
  • Blue Mosque
  • Grand Bazaar

Given time, which I think we have, we would also like to lightly brush over the Topkapi Palace and maybe the Harem as well.

Having read numerous trip report threads, I was thinking of allowing:

• Blue Mosque = 30 mins (prayers are at 1:20pm during teh period we are there)
  • Hagia Sophia = 60 mins
  • Basilica Cistern = 30 mins
  • Topkapi Palace = 60 mins
  • Harem = 60 mins
  • Grand Bazaar = 60mins +

What order should we do these in? I am thinking of getting the Museum Pass in order to skip the ticket queues - will this help?

My husband and I are fit and active and have no problem walking. We will also want to get lunch somewhere but are unsure of the logistics of this given that it will be Ramadan. Also, I was thinking we should visit the Grand Bazaar and/or the Spice Bazaar last as I am likely to be making a few purchases and won't want to schlep them around all day.

Is there anything that I have forgotten or really should include? Any and all advice will be gratefully received!

Forget the Harem just another big empty room....

Hagia Sophia and the Grand Bazaar, we thought the Underground Cistern was cool (literally).

Favorite memory of 4 days in Istanbul was the public ferry (12 Euros)

An 1 1/2 hr round trip ride up the Bosphorus... With local families on the upstairs deck.. Beautiful trip and a chance to see local people up front and close. They all wanted to talk to us and the children wanted to practice their English.

Loved Istanbul and the "Call to Prayer" from 3000 mosques in the city of Istanbul is magical!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by nana541

Loved Istanbul and the "Call to Prayer" from 3000 mosques in the city of Istanbul is magical!

Not at 5am it ain't ;)

Especially when your hotel room is right next to one. :D

But I do agree about the ferries - though difficult to fit into even a two-day port-of-call visit.

Ships berth at the northern end of the Galata Bridge, the sights are in Sultanahmet, the old-city part of Istanbul. This rises from the southern end of the bridge to the Blue Mosque, at the top of the hill. Not a seriously steep hill, but it's a whole lot easier to meander down than up.

So take the tram to "Sultanahmet" (it's the stop after "Gulhane"), and work your way down.

The natural order (all on foot) is Blue Mosque (Sultanahmet Camii) & adjacent Hippodrome, Roman Cistern (Yerebatan Sarayı), Hagia Sofia (various spellings), Topkapi Palace, ending up back at the Galata Bridge / Spice Bazaar (Egyptian Bazaar).

From there walk across the bridge back to your ship, or take the tram if your ship is parked at the far end of the long quay - you can see all the ships from that waterfront.

I've missed out the Grand Bazaar (Kapalıçarşı or Büyük Çarşı). That's because it's off-route.

If you don't visit Topkapi you'd cut across from Hagia Sofia to the top entrance of the Grand Bazaar, exit it at the bottom & follow your nose to Spice Bazaar / Galata Bridge.

Fitting all in one day (quite rushed) I guess you can fit in the Grand Bazaar first (stay on the tram for two more stops to "Beyazıt-Kapalıçarşi") or at the end.

Topkapi Palace isn't a "walk-by" sight, you can't see it from the road. So unless you're planning a visit don't screw up your route in order to walk past it.

Since you're only in port for a day, I'd be inclined to skip Topkapi Palace though I've never been sufficiently interested to go there.

Your running order may depend on opening days/times, so check them.

And on timed tickets.

And on advice from others about the least-crowded times to visit Hagia Sofia and Topkapi Palace.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Actually the early morning "Call to Prayer" was the one thing I will never forget. Our hotel was right next door to the Hagia Sophia....but each to their own!

For us Istanbul was an unexpected thrill, never on our bucket list. Getting lost in the Grand Bazaar was a hoot too ;)

The biggest time-takers at Haghia Sophia and at Topkapi are the lines to purchase tickets, so I'd definitely recommend either the museum pass or purchasing individual tickets for those sites. With them in hand, you won't waste much time as the entrance itself goes quickly.

I wasn't a big fan of the short ferry ride, especially given how much else there is to see in Istanbul; I feel I saw enough to get an idea by being on deck for the ship arrival and sailaway. If someone is going to be there for 3-4 days, then the ferry would make my list -- but not for one day.

Important -- check which days you are in port. Haghia Sophia is closed on Mondays and Topkapi Palace on Tuesdays. The Grand Bazaar is closed on Sundays (I believe but not 100% certain).

If you get an early start, you can probably fit it all in. Here's my suggestion for a route including the Grand Bazaar:

Tram to Gulhane stop (for Topkapi Palace entrance)

Topkapi Palace

Walk to Haghia Sophia entrance (not far)

Walk across the street and up about a 1/2 block to the Basilica Cistern (look for signs)

Walk to Blue Mosque

Here you have a choice. You can get back on the tram (the tram stop in front of the Blue Mosque is called Sultanahmet) and ride the tram two stops to Beyazit, which is very close to the Grand Bazaar. OR you can just walk along the tram tracks and do it on foot. Again, it's really not that far.

After the Grand Bazaar, get back on the tram (opposite direction) and ride it all the way back to your stop. Be sure to note which stop you board the tram at initially so you know which one is closest to your ship. (There are three that run along the water.)

If you should decide to visit the Spice Bazaar instead of the Grand Bazaar, I'd suggest a different routing more like JB's: Blue Mosque, Cistern, Haghia Sophia, Topkapi, Spice Bazaar & back across Galata Bridge either on foot or on the tram.

Re: Topkapi Palace -- it wasn't my favorite site in Istanbul, but unlike Nana 541, I thought the best part of it was the Harem, followed by the gem room and the kitchens.

Does this look practicable? The ship docks at 7:30am and I believe we have priority disembarkation. I am also assuming there will be plenty of places where we can get some lunch in the Sultanahmet district.

8:00 am Disembark ship & catch tram to Sultanahmet district

9:00am Topkapi Palace - 60 mins

10am Harem @ Topkapi Palace - 60 mins

11am Hagia Sophia - 60 mins

12 noon Blue Mosque - 30 mins

12:30pm Lunch

1pm Basilica Cistern - 30 mins

1:30pm Tram to Grand Bazaar

1:45 pm Grand Bazaar

4pm Tram to ship

5pm Sail Away

Does anyone know how far in advance of the call to prayer the Blue Mosque closes? I am hoping to arrive there about noon and the next call to prayer is 1:20pm. Is that cutting it too fine?

4pm Tram to ship

5pm Sail Away

I'm guessing that a 5pm sailaway means a 4.30 latest back-on-board time.

It's a 10 - 15 min walk from the bottom of the Grand Bazaar to the Eminonou tram stop, the underpass to the tram stop is crowded (there are stalls) and so is the tram stop. You have a five to fifteen minute walk from tram stop to ship, depending on your berth.

To give yourself leeway you should exit the bottom of the Grand Bazaar an hour before back-on-board time.

That said, you've allowed plenty of time in the Grand Bazaar, which is browsing territory that you can leave whenever the clock tells you. And by then you'll have better knowledge of the ground.

JB :)

I'm planning on a t-shirt with 3/4 length sleeves and a pair of capri pants. I also have a light scarf I can pop in my bag to cover my head. I should be fine, I think.

That fine, take a light weight bag with handles or even a grocery store plastic bag to hold your shoes, then you don't need to leave your shoes with a "zillion" others while visiting the Mosque.

Edited by nana541

Remember women visiting Mosques should not have bare shoulders or shorts....

They will give you something to cover up your shoulders and to cover your head. Wear shoes that are easy to take off and put back on as you can't wear shoes in a mosque.

The biggest time-takers at Haghia Sophia and at Topkapi are the lines to purchase tickets, so I'd definitely recommend either the museum pass or purchasing individual tickets for those sites. With them in hand, you won't waste much time as the entrance itself goes quickly.

I wasn't a big fan of the short ferry ride, especially given how much else there is to see in Istanbul; I feel I saw enough to get an idea by being on deck for the ship arrival and sailaway. If someone is going to be there for 3-4 days, then the ferry would make my list -- but not for one day.

Important -- check which days you are in port. Haghia Sophia is closed on Mondays and Topkapi Palace on Tuesdays. The Grand Bazaar is closed on Sundays (I believe but not 100% certain).

If you get an early start, you can probably fit it all in. Here's my suggestion for a route including the Grand Bazaar:

Tram to Gulhane stop (for Topkapi Palace entrance)

Topkapi Palace

Walk to Haghia Sophia entrance (not far)

Walk across the street and up about a 1/2 block to the Basilica Cistern (look for signs)

Walk to Blue Mosque

Here you have a choice. You can get back on the tram (the tram stop in front of the Blue Mosque is called Sultanahmet) and ride the tram two stops to Beyazit, which is very close to the Grand Bazaar. OR you can just walk along the tram tracks and do it on foot. Again, it's really not that far.

After the Grand Bazaar, get back on the tram (opposite direction) and ride it all the way back to your stop. Be sure to note which stop you board the tram at initially so you know which one is closest to your ship. (There are three that run along the water.)

If you should decide to visit the Spice Bazaar instead of the Grand Bazaar, I'd suggest a different routing more like JB's: Blue Mosque, Cistern, Haghia Sophia, Topkapi, Spice Bazaar & back across Galata Bridge either on foot or on the tram.

Re: Topkapi Palace -- it wasn't my favorite site in Istanbul, but unlike Nana 541, I thought the best part of it was the Harem, followed by the gem room and the kitchens.

I live in Istanbul, and I applaud you for your advice! The Spice Bazaar, while not quite as mesmerizing (or huge) as the Grand Bazaar, still offers quite a lot if all you're looking for is souvenirs and some traditional Turkish sweets. If you want jewelry, leather, or carpets you really need to go to the Grand Bazaar. If you want to do major Bazaar shopping, I would skip Topkapı Palace. Otherwise, you should be fine. And if you can get the museum card ahead of time to skip the line at Topkapı and Hagia Sophia, do it! We were there a couple weeks ago and the line was horrendous!!

Does this look practicable? The ship docks at 7:30am and I believe we have priority disembarkation. I am also assuming there will be plenty of places where we can get some lunch in the Sultanahmet district.

8:00 am Disembark ship & catch tram to Sultanahmet district

9:00am Topkapi Palace - 60 mins

10am Harem @ Topkapi Palace - 60 mins

11am Hagia Sophia - 60 mins

12 noon Blue Mosque - 30 mins

12:30pm Lunch

1pm Basilica Cistern - 30 mins

1:30pm Tram to Grand Bazaar

4pm Tram to ship

5pm Sail Away

Hi Kat, my advise would be very similar to CruiseMum and I think that above schedule is doable if you are on the go all day. In fact the morning is about the same DH and I did it last year. But I would do the Cistern before or after Sophia Hagia, because it is just outside of that entrance and you would need to cool down.

Then I would go to the Blue Mosque. If it is closed for prayers just visit the outside area and the courtyard and then lunch. There is a nice little restaurant at L/side just before you get to the entrance of the Blue Mosque. By that stage you really need a rest.

Alternatively you could have lunch at the Hamdi Restaurant which has a view over the Bosphorus and the Galata Bridge. Then you are very close to visit the Spice Market. Giving you this option, because although it is possible to squeeze in the Grand Bazaar, it will be very overwhelming and really rushed (have to decide; do you really want to see 3000 shops selling the same thing?).

At least with the Spice Market, you still see a Turkish Bazaar and have time to take in some of the surroundings and make photo's. You will also have the option to walk over the Galata Bridge back to the ship. That is really neat. Depends where ship docks, you can do a few tram stops after the bridge to get back. If ships docks close to the Bridge, it is easy to walk back.

Not sure that you have scheduled in enough time for walking to and finding places, standing in queues, collecting tickets, getting a drink, making photo's etc. in the above schedule. What you got planned up to 1:30pm, took us the whole day last year.

There were 4 other cruise ships in port that day and it was very crowded. On Saturday our ship did not get into port until 9am, so that put us with crowds already at most places. On Saturday we did all of the items but Spice Market and Topkapi Palace with Harem, which we did on Sunday as they were open on Sunday.

While we attempted to pre-purchase tickets, the website said it was under renovation and would not let us pre-purchase. The lines to get into the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia as well as the Cistern were all very long. It was also very warm already, so just some items to consider.

We found the tram very easy to use, and according to others on our ship using other methods of transportation was very slow and backed up.

The were lines to get into every area of Topkapi Palace, the line for the treasury was over an hour long..... just for the one area. So not sure if that is typical or not or if was just an unusual busy day.

The crowds definitely affected our ability to follow our pre-planned schedule. We enjoyed our time there and hope you get to fit everything in.

Your schedule would be hell for me. Different strokes for different people, you will always find people on this board who will say you are going to be fine. In my opinion however, the timing is too short, and leaves hardly any time to appreciate what you are seeing, for a nice Turkish lunch, or to soak up the local atmosphere. You are in a big vibrant city with 65 million inhabitants, and you are going to be on the move to and from the ship in their rush-hour. And you do know that July in Turkey is very HOT? Forecasts for the coming week are already over 85°F, in a few weeks time that is going to be more. No food or drink or rest for 5 hours is virtually impossible in that heat.

Last time in Istanbul, the Blue Mosque, the Cisterns, walking through the Grand Bazaar and the Spice Market back to the ship was a whole day for us, and that was in the off-season when it was cool and there were not that many tourists around. I agree with Waihekean, you have not planned even the most basic bathroom stop. The queue to get into the Blue Mosque is 30 minutes, even before you are through the door.

Turkish people are very relaxed, enjoying life, like having a peaceful hot lunch made cooked to order with fresh ingredients. If you want lunch in half an hour, ordered, served, eaten, and paid for, all in that 30 minutes: I am afraid Mac Donalds it is.

The sights are very close together. I would just pick one or two "must see" things that important for you, check if they are open (sights close on different days), go there first, and enjoy that without time pressure. After that, have a relaxing sit down, sample the local cuisine, and decide what else you want to do, based on the time you still have, the temperature, and how everybody is feeling. It is always a good idea to plan what there to see and do, but I feel you have overplanned it.

Your schedule would be hell for me. Different strokes for different people, you will always find people on this board who will say you are going to be fine. In my opinion however, the timing is too short, and leaves hardly any time to appreciate what you are seeing, for a nice Turkish lunch, or to soak up the local atmosphere. You are in a big vibrant city with 65 million inhabitants, and you are going to be on the move to and from the ship in their rush-hour. And you do know that July in Turkey is very HOT? Forecasts for the coming week are already over 85°F, in a few weeks time that is going to be more. No food or drink or rest for 5 hours is virtually impossible in that heat.

Last time in Istanbul, the Blue Mosque, the Cisterns, walking through the Grand Bazaar and the Spice Market back to the ship was a whole day for us, and that was in the off-season when it was cool and there were not that many tourists around. I agree with Waihekean, you have not planned even the most basic bathroom stop. The queue to get into the Blue Mosque is 30 minutes, even before you are through the door.

Turkish people are very relaxed, enjoying life, like having a peaceful hot lunch made cooked to order with fresh ingredients. If you want lunch in half an hour, ordered, served, eaten, and paid for, all in that 30 minutes: I am afraid Mac Donalds it is.

The sights are very close together. I would just pick one or two "must see" things that important for you, check if they are open (sights close on different days), go there first, and enjoy that without time pressure. After that, have a relaxing sit down, sample the local cuisine, and decide what else you want to do, based on the time you still have, the temperature, and how everybody is feeling. It is always a good idea to plan what there to see and do, but I feel you have overplanned it.

To be fair, the original poster did say that they are there during Ramadan, which will limit their opportunity to eat or drink as many restaurants will be closed during the day.

Also, while I agree that it is better to have several days in a large and VERY historic city like Istanbul or Rome, I also understand that many people coming from the US do not have the the luxury of a fairly easy and inexpensive return (as from Germany) and do want to see as much as they reasonably can on their visit.

For me, it would be easy to eliminate the Grand Bazaar altogether and at a push I would say Topkapi also could go -- but that is my own preference for the Byzantine over the Ottoman. The key is to do enough research before you go to know which 2-3 things really matter to you and be sure your plan fits those things in. If other things can also be included, then well and good -- but go with the understanding that they may have to be cut if time runs short.

I tried to purchase a museum pass on line yesterday and the site said that I would need to pick up from a hotel. Am I missing something? I am on a cruise and don't want to pick up passes from a hotel. I appreciate any help or advice on how to purchase pass online. Thanks.

I tried to purchase a museum pass on line yesterday and the site said that I would need to pick up from a hotel. Am I missing something? I am on a cruise and don't want to pick up passes from a hotel. I appreciate any help or advice on how to purchase pass online. Thanks.

I would recommend you purchase the Museum Pass at one of the lesser-visited, yet well-located sites, such as the Mosaics Museum right below the Blue Mosque and to the immediate south of the Arasta Bazaar. There also are some mobile van sights, but I did not seen them on my recent visit.

Edited by CintiPam

There is some great feedback here and I am very grateful for the suggestions and warnings which I will definitely take into account with my planning.

I have looked into it further and it seems that in the historic district there will still be many restaurants open so that is good news and we will make sure we allow enough time to enjoy a good turkish meal. I was also planning on following the excellent advice of stopping at a hotel or lesser museum and picking up the 85TL card that lets us skip the queues (or at least helps minimise the wait).

It is helpful to know that my husband and I are very fit and motivated (type A personality) people who enjoy being active. Also I am somewhat like a lizard and actually come alive in the heat instead of wilting. :P

Finally, we are coming from New Zealand and whilst I would absolutely love to have more time in Istanbul its just not going to happen for at least a few more years so we are viewing this as a kind of a 'mezze' trip where we sample enjoyable tidbits of various sights and plan to come back with our kids to delve more deeply into this fascinating and historic city. Accordingly, I don't mind not seeing every aspect of each sight. I will be returning in 2016 and I will make sure we have more time then.