Travel Agency Rip-Off

How Can a travel agency charge a $100pp fee to change the date of a cruise I had booked with them? I did not cancel, nor did the promotion change in any way. The only thing on the reservation that would have changed was the date and the cabin number. I was actually upgrading! :confused:

Every travel agency has their own rules about what they will charge for. When researching a travel agent, either brick and mortar or online you have to ask about these charges.

IMHO you should avoid a travel agent who charges for any changes.

Is it possible to cancel your cruise booking with them for a fee equal to or less than the $100? If so, I would drop this agency immediately and take the loss as a lesson learned. There is way too much time between now and your cruise date(s) and you may need to make other changes or requests. You don't want to be nickel and dimed for changes. What a dumb policy. I'm sure they have problems retaining customers.

Tee

How Can a travel agency charge a $100pp fee to change the date of a cruise I had booked with them? I did not cancel, nor did the promotion change in any way. The only thing on the reservation that would have changed was the date and the cabin number. I was actually upgrading! :confused:

That was the change. And I would believe that's what they charged on. On the terms of my latest cruise booking, it clearly said, ANY changes they could charge me $100 p/p. It's a risk we are willing to take for the perks offered.

You might be well off calling them and confirming.

Is it possible to cancel your cruise booking with them for a fee equal to or less than the $100? If so, I would drop this agency immediately and take the loss as a lesson learned. There is way too much time between now and your cruise date(s) and you may need to make other changes or requests. You don't want to be nickel and dimed for changes. What a dumb policy. I'm sure they have problems retaining customers.

Tee

I did indeed cancel the cruise as it was going to be $200 regardless. I have already re-booked with a new agency that has no fees for changes or cancellations. Lesson definitely learned. Loyalty has meant nothing to them.

Every travel agency has their own rules about what they will charge for. When researching a travel agent, either brick and mortar or online you have to ask about these charges.

IMHO you should avoid a travel agent who charges for any changes.

Lesson learned. Loyalty meant nothing. I already have a new agency that definitely does not charge a fee for changes or cancellations.

I did indeed cancel the cruise as it was going to be $200 regardless. I have already re-booked with a new agency that has no fees for changes or cancellations. Lesson definitely learned. Loyalty has meant nothing to them.

Had you booked with them in the past? If you have, and they never charged you this type of fee before and this was a new fee they recently instituted, but they did not inform you perhaps you have a case. But as a new customer, it is our job to be sure we understand all of the possible fees and charges from any vendor we use, and make an informed decision.

If this was your first time, I'm not thinking there is any loyalty to you. If you were a long time customer they may have done something else.

Had you booked with them in the past? If you have, and they never charged you this type of fee before and this was a new fee they recently instituted, but they did not inform you perhaps you have a case. But as a new customer, it is our job to be sure we understand all of the possible fees and charges from any vendor we use, and make an informed decision.

If this was your first time, I'm not thinking there is any loyalty to you. If you were a long time customer they may have done something else.

No it was not our 1st booking with them but it is our last. I was aware of a fee to cancel a booking but not to simply change a date and actually upgrade.

I have heard many travel agents do this now, I like booking with the cruise line.

We used to book mostly while onboard until about 3 years ago when we found there were perks to using an agency. I have never had to cancel or alter any until now and was shocked they were going to charge me to simply change a date. I was actually upgrading to a suite and moving the date to celebrate our anniversary onboard and in style.

They lost my business and I have a new agency and agent that was glad to take over. Even better, they have no fees of any possible kind.

We used to book mostly while onboard until about 3 years ago when we found there were perks to using an agency. I have never had to cancel or alter any until now and was shocked they were going to charge me to simply change a date. I was actually upgrading to a suite and moving the date to celebrate our anniversary onboard and in style.

They lost my business and I have a new agency and agent that was glad to take over. Even better, they have no fees of any possible kind.

Our agency has never charged any change fees so I was surprised to read your original post above. But then others chimed in that it's becoming more common for agencies to assess fees for changes so it makes me glad we keep going with the same TA/agency.

Lesson learned. ;). Did your old agency know you were going to cancel if they charged you a fee for changing your cruise? Seems to me they'd want to keep your business.

The commission they lost was certainly more than $200.

I hate to break it to you, but changing the cruise date is cancelling the cruise, even if you book the same ship and same itenerary. I don't work for free and niether should they. $100 p.p. might be a little steep though.The online agency I use charges $50 p.p. for cancellation, but so far, I've done 31 cruises and haven't had to cancel yet. I book with them for the outstanding percs we get from them. 31 cruises times a minimum of $250 in percs is $7,750 so if I had to cancel a cruise, I think I could afford it. They were 2013s top cruise seller for Celebrity, in the world, based on the award they won, so a lot of people must feel the same way.

One well-known, very popular, online travel agency charges up to $100 administration fee to make changes. That is why I will not book with them. I am glad that I had asked them up front about fees for changes, cancellations, etc before I started doing business with them.

I hope you realize you can still book on board to get on board credit and transfer to an agent to get agent perks.

Lesson learned. ;). Did your old agency know you were going to cancel if they charged you a fee for changing your cruise? Seems to me they'd want to keep your business.

The commission they lost was certainly more than $200.

Bet they regret that "change fee" now, as their agency gets nothing of the new booking!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Wanted to give an update as the agency in question had someone from upper management contact me. I guess they "reviewed" the situation and made a good will gesture. Unfortunately, for them they lost out on the booking I cancelled and moved to the other agency.

However, they agreed to waive the cancellation penalty in full if I make a new booking with them by Friday. If I choose to not do a new booking they have agreed to only charge me $50pp for the cruise I cancelled. Unexpected for sure.

That was a nice gesture. I sometimes book with a TA that charges for any cancellations, and changing the date is a cancellation of the original cruise. Sometimes the perks are great and I will book with them and sometimes I book directly with RCI. It is stated in the contract that there is a fee so it is not a rip off. I am glad it worked out for you though, have a great cruise.

Edited by dacsmom

We have made changes in our cabins and never a fee was charged. She reagrds that as her service to her clients. Our next cruise, I switched the daughter & I to a JS when DH decided to go, the only added charge was his booking and change from a D-1 to JS but this was all done within the first week that I had booked. In 6 months the cost of that JS jumped $700 so glad the change was made quickly.

I hate to break it to you, but changing the cruise date is cancelling the cruise, even if you book the same ship and same itenerary. I don't work for free and niether should they. $100 p.p. might be a little steep though.The online agency I use charges $50 p.p. for cancellation, but so far, I've done 31 cruises and haven't had to cancel yet. I book with them for the outstanding percs we get from them. 31 cruises times a minimum of $250 in percs is $7,750 so if I had to cancel a cruise, I think I could afford it. They were 2013s top cruise seller for Celebrity, in the world, based on the award they won, so a lot of people must feel the same way.

No one works for free.

But TA's work in the Service industry & making changes are providing "Service" to your clients. Like he stated above, he hasn't had to cancel a cruise in 31 cruises. Us neither after 20+ cruises. So the majority of clients won't need to be "Serviced" for the commissions that TA's earned...

We have made changes in our cabins and never a fee was charged. She reagrds that as her service to her clients. Our next cruise, I switched the daughter & I to a JS when DH decided to go, the only added charge was his booking and change from a D-1 to JS but this was all done within the first week that I had booked. In 6 months the cost of that JS jumped $700 so glad the change was made quickly.

It's the same way most charge you more for booking your flight. Flight plus booking cost rolled into 1 total on your reservation.

The only time we used a TA years ago we asked about flights and she was honest. She said that CAA charges $80 to book flights. She said she logs onto southwest just like I would and books them. In other words save some money and do it ourselves ;)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I respectfully disagree. Changing the date and upgrading is not cancelling the cruise. Its the same exact cruise but on a different date. They eventually called me and agreed and offered to waive the fee if I rebooked it. I had already booked the cruise in question with a new agency that has no fees. In the end they lost out on 2 bookings and agreed to only charge me half the cancellation fees as a good will gesture.

I respectfully disagree. Changing the date and upgrading is not cancelling the cruise. Its the same exact cruise but on a different date.

Unless the cruise line is going to be using the exact same booking number for your new reservation (and they aren't) the CRUISE LINE considers this a cancel/rebook. It doesn't matter what the TA thinks or what you think. Same booking number = change. New booking number = cancel/rebook.