Travel Agency Rip-Off

We always smile when we see some here on CC saying they are "loyal" to a TA, even if it costs them thousands of dollars (what they could have saved booking elsewhere). Having spend literally years on cruise ships as a passenger, and having used many different major TAs, our loyalty stops at our wallet! Whoever gives us the best deal, without any hidden fees or hassles, gets our loyalty as long as they can produce the best deal. Over the years this has caused us to create our own short list" of good TAs, and they all treat us well because we send them a lot of business. But our "short list" can quickly be altered if we find a better TA or one of our favorite agencies screws us. A few years ago one of those agents charged us a $100 change fee. A quick phone call go the fee removed, but we never used that agency again. And considering our bookings could often exceed $40,000 a year, that agency (who got most of our business) has already lost thousands of dollars of commissions because they got a bit greedy. Such is life. Vote with your pocketbook and only the best will survive.

Hank

No it was not our 1st booking with them but it is our last. I was aware of a fee to cancel a booking but not to simply change a date and actually upgrade.

Since you changed the date that might have triggered canceling and booking new date.

I respectfully disagree. Changing the date and upgrading is not cancelling the cruise. Its the same exact cruise but on a different date.
If you had booked a plane ticket that had a cancelation fee, do you honestly believe that the airline wouldn't consider it a cancelation if you changed the date of your flight? If you had merely upgraded your cabin there most likely wouldn't have been this fee. I'm sorry, but I'm with the others who understand that by changing the date you cancelled the first cruise. Good luck with your new TA.

We are fortunate that our TA does not charge for cancelling cruises, changing dates, etc.

It is always best to check what your agency's policies are.

A really good agency would forgo that charge since you only changed the date and upgraded to another category just to keep your business.

We always smile when we see some here on CC saying they are "loyal" to a TA, even if it costs them thousands of dollars (what they could have saved booking elsewhere). Having spend literally years on cruise ships as a passenger, and having used many different major TAs, our loyalty stops at our wallet! Whoever gives us the best deal, without any hidden fees or hassles, gets our loyalty as long as they can produce the best deal. Over the years this has caused us to create our own short list" of good TAs, and they all treat us well because we send them a lot of business. But our "short list" can quickly be altered if we find a better TA or one of our favorite agencies screws us. A few years ago one of those agents charged us a $100 change fee. A quick phone call go the fee removed, but we never used that agency again. And considering our bookings could often exceed $40,000 a year, that agency (who got most of our business) has already lost thousands of dollars of commissions because they got a bit greedy. Such is life. Vote with your pocketbook and only the best will survive.

Hank

We have several that we like. Like Hank we cruise frequently and spend a lot of money on cruises every year. We expect excellent service from our TAs and when we don't get it we find one who will give us that service along with perks. We work hard for our money and expect them to do the same.

How Can a travel agency charge a $100pp fee to change the date of a cruise I had booked with them? I did not cancel, nor did the promotion change in any way. The only thing on the reservation that would have changed was the date and the cabin number. I was actually upgrading! :confused:

Sorry, but in the cruise industry you did CANCEL your cruise. You then re-booked a NEW cruise.

I book directly with the cruiseline and even they can/do charge a fee. Even for just a name change there can be a fee. The closer you get to departure, they may even keep your whole fare.

Enjoy your cruise!

We have a very good online TA. We do most of the work, she books the cruise. We will only deal with TA';s who-

-do not charge for cancellations

-do not charge for re pricing when prices decrease

-do not charge for changing our cabin (when category pricing collapses)

-have the cruise company process the fare on credit card

-provide rebates in the form of OBC'S (no gifts thanks, just OBC's)

There are lots of them out there...don't get stuck with a dud. And we have a very strong preference for an on line agency that has extended hours. More than once we have had to call outside of business hours. Someone is usually there to help us even if our TA is not at work.

Edited by iancal

In direct answer to your question - they are a private business and can do anything that they want to as long as it is not in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. Should they have charged you - no. Should you have booked with them - no.

DON

Buyer beware .

Ask the fee question before ever selecting a TA.

Some charge fees , some do not .

The $100 is excessive for sure .

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Especially when the client is immediately, in the same transaction is re-booking a new sailing!

I do agree, the OP did cancel a cruise but boy did this agency "cut off their nose" they got a greedy $100 fee but lost an entire commission. How short sighted is that!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by nana541

Could this have been a fee charged by the cruise line and simply passed on to you?

Well if that's the case they deserve to lose the OP future business due to poor communication skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app