Downgrade/Upgrade

renman22

A first........We were booked on an 18 Day Panama Canal Cruise in a Veranda cabin. Yesterday we received an offer from Oceania to downgrade to a OV for $2200. We are elite status on four different lines and have never had or even heard of this. We declined given that a balcony in the Canal has always been a highlight. Well, today we got an upgrade offer to a concierge veranda for almost nothing. Needless to say we took it and got upgraded to a really great cabin. All I can figure is that they needed a block of cabins. We are really looking forward to great cruise on a recently refurbished ship.

On one occasion we were offered (and accepted) an upgrade offer for a few hundred bucks. A month or so later (still well before the trip) we were asked to accept a downgrade buyout. It worked out fine - ended up where we had initially meant to be anyway, and were able to apply the buyout $$$ to an upgrade on a future cruise we had already booked.

As Lyn said, these things do happen!

Donna

A first........We were booked on an 18 Day Panama Canal Cruise in a Veranda cabin. Yesterday we received an offer from Oceania to downgrade to a OV for $2200. We are elite status on four different lines and have never had or even heard of this. We declined given that a balcony in the Canal has always been a highlight. Well, today we got an upgrade offer to a concierge veranda for almost nothing. Needless to say we took it and got upgraded to a really great cabin. All I can figure is that they needed a block of cabins. We are really looking forward to great cruise on a recently refurbished ship.

We did the Panama Canal in May, our first on Oceania. We were offered 2 downgrades prior to sailing, from Concierge to Cat D. Offered $4,000 back. A few days prior we were offered $6,000 to downgrade. We declined both times. Cabins are small enough as is. If it had been 7 days instead of 16, we might have considered it.

We did the Panama Canal in May, our first on Oceania. We were offered 2 downgrades prior to sailing, from Concierge to Cat D. Offered $4,000 back. A few days prior we were offered $6,000 to downgrade. We declined both times. Cabins are small enough as is. If it had been 7 days instead of 16, we might have considered it.

On the R ships, Concierge Cabins are 173 square feet, while the Category D's are 165 square feet. I like a nice cabin myself, but for a difference of 8 square feet (less than two standard sized bathmats), $6,000.00 is a great deal of money.

On the R ships, Concierge Cabins are 173 square feet, while the Category D's are 165 square feet.

I am pretty sure the cabin are the same size

we have been in deck 7 deck 6 & deck 4 (no balcony) they are all the same ;)

There are some exceptions

I am pretty sure the cabin are the same size

we have been in deck 7 deck 6 & deck 4 (no balcony) they are all the same ;)

There are some exceptions

Jim/Stan/Lynn

I think the C & D cabins (decks 4 & 3 respectively) are the same size. The OV cabins on 6 & 7 are slightly larger, but I think SOCAL404 was comparing a veranda cabin to a D and there is definitely a difference in size.

Jim/Stan/Lynn

I think the C & D cabins (decks 4 & 3 respectively) are the same size. The OV cabins on 6 & 7 are slightly larger, but I think SOCAL404 was comparing a veranda cabin to a D and there is definitely a difference in size.

I think it is an optical illusion ;)

once you take away the balcony the A & B cabins are very much the same size as the deck 4 C cabins ...if they are larger it is minimal

now where is the tape measure :)

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

We're sailing back to back on the Riviera next month. We have OV for first cruise but booked a guarantee PH3 Penthouse Suite for the second (our first sailing in a suite). When we got our documents we noticed we've been upgraded to a PH2. The cost of upgrading to a suite for the first cruise was far more expensive than the second so we decided to stay put. We're hoping that once we're on board we can possibly ask if they will do a deal and allow us to pay a small amount for an upgrade. Fingers crossed!

We're sailing back to back on the Riviera next month. We have OV for first cruise but booked a guarantee PH3 Penthouse Suite for the second (our first sailing in a suite). When we got our documents we noticed we've been upgraded to a PH2. The cost of upgrading to a suite for the first cruise was far more expensive than the second so we decided to stay put. We're hoping that once we're on board we can possibly ask if they will do a deal and allow us to pay a small amount for an upgrade. Fingers crossed!

Why not just ask now ?? Make them an offer ;)

when you get to the ship it may be fully booked

Why not just ask now ?? Make them an offer ;)

when you get to the ship it may be fully booked

An upgrade from a Penthouse to one of the Big Suites is very seldom available, because it is rare that any Oceania Cruise sails without those rooms being fully booked.

Check out any upcoming cruise, the most expensive and the least expensive accommodations always fill up first.

That said, you may as well ask on the ship, if there is a last minute cancellation, you may get something.

Just know that you're hoping for a small miracle of good timing and good luck.

We have an assigned PH3 for our first Oceania cruise, but are very open to any complimentary upgrades to PH2 or PH1 (or a big suite, but I assume our odds are nil). Does that happen often? Would our chances be higher if we were in a guarantee rather than an assigned cabin? Does O even do guarantees if assigned cabins are available?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Edited by MrOZ

An upgrade from a Penthouse to one of the Big Suites is very seldom available, because it is rare that any Oceania Cruise sails without those rooms being fully booked.

I thought they were trying to upgrade from an OV to a PH for the 1st leg of their B2B :confused:

Maybe I misread the post

I thought they were trying to upgrade from an OV to a PH for the 1st leg of their B2B :confused:

Maybe I misread the post

Yes Ma'am you did. They had on OV on their first cruise, but booked a Penthouse Guarantee for their second.

They were assigned to a PH2 on that second cruise, but were thinking of inquiring about a further upgrade (see post 10)

Yes Ma'am you did. They had on OV on their first cruise, but booked a Penthouse Guarantee for their second.

They were assigned to a PH2 on that second cruise, but were thinking of inquiring about a further upgrade (see post 10)

Thanks

I am blaming it on my new glasses:D

I believe they are not quite clear. I also read it as they are going to try to get an upgrade on the first cruise. Perhaps when the poster comes back they can clear it up for us.

I also read it that they have an OV on the first leg of their B2B and have been upgraded to a PH2 on the second leg but were hoping that they may get upgraded from the OV on the first leg (it would be great if they could be in the same stateroom for both legs).

Cymru am byth - hope you get that upgrade Beebopaloola !