Just back from the June 1st sailing on the Grand Princess to Alaska

Eaglecw

Thanks for the tip on Fort Clatsop. I did not know it was a place we could visit. I watched the Lewis and Clark tape three times each year with my 7th graders and would love to see it! This cruise is for me as DH is a train buff and we taking via from Vancouver to Toronto on the way home (not at all like a cruise ship!!!).

Excursion meeting time is usually 15-20 minutes before the stated departure time.

Is your 30-minute window ending at the meeting time or the departure time?

Excursions do not always return on time, so 30 minutes may not be enough between the two. If these are both Princess excursions, make sure the shore excursion desk knows of your short window between the excursions.

TA1-660A is scheduled 0830-1400. JNU-700A is scheduled 1430-1930. Both are Princess excursions (hence the codes).

JNU-700B is 1515-2015, and JNU-700C is 1545-2045. My thought was to get back to the ship after JNU-700A in time for MDR dining. However, we could switch and at least have buffet lunch then buffet dinner.

JNU-700B is 1515-2015, and JNU-700C is 1545-2045. My thought was to get back to the ship after JNU-700A in time for MDR dining. However, we could switch and at least have buffet lunch then buffet dinner.

Chances are that there will be open seating in all dining rooms that evening due to being in port that late. You should be able to take one of the later tours and still have a MDR dinner.

Found it! I want to be on that trip! I talked to my husband and he said we might not be offered that one because our cruise is after Labor Day. Sounds like a reason to me! I might call my TA soon and see if she can look into it more as passengers don't sam to be getting anywhere in finding out!

We do have roll call started - come join us!

Four of us will be on the Grand Princess on 9/7 as well. It sounds like a really wonderful trip. This will be our first time going to Alaska and I can't wait. The excursion that you went on sounds fabulous. Will have to convince the DH to spend that much on an excursion but it sounds like it would be worth it. I wonder what the weather will be like in September. We have no idea what to pack. Sorry for the rambling, I am so happy to read about our cruise, and now I am getting excited. Would love to go on an excursion to see whales. Thanks again for the review!!

I suggest you look in the ports of call section of cruise critic for Alaska. It will have lots,of helpful information about what to pack and generally what to expect. I can tell you, you will want to get some wide angled binoculars for whale watching from the ship. We saw whales every day but it takes patience and determination. Big Five had them on sale for $20.00 and we were so glad we got them.

Thank you so much!!! The entertainment sounds like it will be great :) I've never been on a Princess Cruise before so it will all be new to me :) I appreciate all the knowledge you shared with me :)

If you get a chance take the "Backstage Tour" it was very informative, at was Friday "Sea day" at 11:30.

Was it less/no security because you'd been "secured" all morning? I might want to head back to the room to pick up extra camera gear between stops.

Anytime anyone (crew included) leaves the ship they have to be rescreened upon returning regardless. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Great Cruise Review!

I am hoping for even more detailed info on the Glacier Explorer at Tracy Arm. I couldn't decide whether to bump this up, or maybe start another thread.

I now see that this was with Alan Marine. (Maybe Adventure Bound does not do the tours from the ships in Tracy Arm)

At what point did you disembark onto the Alan Marine boat?

I was wondering if this was upon entering Tracy Arm, or up near Sawyer Glacier.

At what time was the excursion scheduled to return you to the ship in Juneau? I don't mind it being late... (more time in the Fjord would probably be a plus!) But, I just wonder about the general time-frame.

This year, Tracy arm is listed as 6:00am to 10:00 a.m.

Next year, if this excursion is offered, the Princess itinerary lists Tracy Arm as one hour ealier. That means 5:00am to 9:00am. That is early! I wonder if the sun high enough for nice viewing that early in the day? On a cloudy, rainy, foggy day, it seems that this could be an issue with fog and darkness down in the fjord?

Any info is much appreciated!

Edited by Wishing on a star

Great Cruise Review!

I am hoping for even more detailed info on the Glacier Explorer at Tracy Arm. I couldn't decide whether to bump this up, or maybe start another thread.

I now see that this was with Alan Marine. (Maybe Adventure Bound does not do the tours from the ships in Tracy Arm)

At what point did you disembark onto the Alan Marine boat?

I was wondering if this was upon entering Tracy Arm, or up near Sawyer Glacier.

At what time was the excursion scheduled to return you to the ship in Juneau? I don't mind it being late... (more time in the Fjord would probably be a plus!) But, I just wonder about the general time-frame.

This year, Tracy arm is listed as 6:00am to 10:00 a.m.

Next year, if this excursion is offered, the Princess itinerary lists Tracy Arm as one hour ealier. That means 5:00am to 9:00am. That is early! I wonder if the sun high enough for nice viewing that early in the day? On a cloudy, rainy, foggy day, it seems that this could be an issue with fog and darkness down in the fjord?

Any info is much appreciated!

The Alan Marine boat picked us up near Sawyer Island, most cruise ships don't go any further than Sawyer Island at around 8:30 or so, right before the Grand Princess headed back out of Tracy Arm. The Grand Princess couldn't get to much closer to the glacier because of the ice. The Alan Marine boat goes up to within 1/4 of a mile to the glacier. On the return to boat drops you off at the ship in Juneau, in our case it was supposed to be 1pm but it was closer to 1:35 or so, a little late.

I hope this helps you

Randy

Thank You,

Yes, very helpful!!!

I am glad to know that we would be able to cruise in thru the fjord on the large Princess ship, and THEN catch the Allen Marine tour, which might get closer to the glacier, and then back out and up to Juneau.

I have been going back and forth between this cruise (which would be the Ruby next year) to see Tracy Arm Fjord. Or the Southbound, which would see Hubbard if we are very lucky, and then Glacier bay.

This would be our first trip to see Alaska. I have to say that Tracy Arm Fjord really looks amazing! That might be what we are leaning towards. And, no flight and hotel up to Anchorage. Added convenience.

If you (or anyone) has any input on that, it would be much appreciated.

The picture is how close we got to the Sawyer Glacier. Right after I took this picture a good section of the glacier calved off. You want to be sure that the Tracy Arm small boat excursion is offered on your cruise, it's not offered on every cruise up Tracy Arm.

955857093_Alaska2014(33).jpg.1fd84f4a8edc18dd357213d6436a1000.jpg

Edited by Eaglecw

Can you remember what movies were being played for MUTS during your cruise? I will be on the Grand in 12 days =) Thank you!!!

MUTS were:

sailaway Day - "Saving Mr. Banks" (7 pm & 9:30 pm)

1st Sea Day - "Dirty Dancing"; "Billy Joel Concert"; "Ferris Bueller's Day Off"; "Gravity" (7 pm & 9:30 pm)

3rd Day-Ketchikan- (No MUTS on port days in Alaska)

4th Day-Tracy Arm and Juneau - (No MUTS)

5th Day-Skagway - "The Lego Movie" (7 pm & 9:30 pm)

6th Day-At Sea- "The Princess Bride"; "James Taylor Concert"; "Mamma Mia"; "Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit" (7 pm & 9:30 pm)

7th Day - Victoria - "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" (7 pm & 9:30 pm)

This was the week of June 1st so not sure if they are different now.

MUTS were:

sailaway Day - "Saving Mr. Banks" (7 pm & 9:30 pm)

1st Sea Day - "Dirty Dancing"; "Billy Joel Concert"; "Ferris Bueller's Day Off"; "Gravity" (7 pm & 9:30 pm)

3rd Day-Ketchikan- (No MUTS on port days in Alaska)

4th Day-Tracy Arm and Juneau - (No MUTS)

5th Day-Skagway - "The Lego Movie" (7 pm & 9:30 pm)

6th Day-At Sea- "The Princess Bride"; "James Taylor Concert"; "Mamma Mia"; "Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit" (7 pm & 9:30 pm)

7th Day - Victoria - "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" (7 pm & 9:30 pm)

This was the week of June 1st so not sure if they are different now.

Thank you :)

Wow, great photo!

And, you are so helpful to post info to answer questions.

Can I ask one more question about that tour?

When you boarded, do you know if the boat already had passengers that had booked from Juneau and departed from Juneau that a.m.? Just curious.

Looks amazing!

Edited by Wishing on a star

I found it under the Tracy Arm day. It is $229 pp. Only excursion listed for that "port". It is still avail for our cruise next week surprisingly enough.

Many thanks. I was wondering about the cost but didn't want to ask. :)

We were thinking of another trip to Alaska for next year and wanted to incorporate a land tour component this time but my wife decided she'd rather do a 17 day Panama Canal cruise instead so the Alaska land tour cruise will likely be the year after that.

This particular excursion sounds pretty nice...

One of my pet peeves is Hats in the dining room or anywhere inside the ship for that matter.

I absolutely despise the "modern" trend of ball caps in dining venues. I can't imagine wearing a hat when eating in a restaurant. If I have on a hat due to work or weather I remove it when I enter the dining venue. These days I often see people sitting in restaurants wearing their hats. I simply don't understand that lack of respect.

Of course I also see women displaying "whale tail" in restaurants these days. Totally mind boggling... Maybe I'm just old but that just doesn't seem right to me at all.

I absolutely despise the "modern" trend of ball caps in dining venues. I can't imagine wearing a hat when eating in a restaurant. If I have on a hat due to work or weather I remove it when I enter the dining venue. These days I often see people sitting in restaurants wearing their hats. I simply don't understand that lack of respect.

Of course I also see women displaying "whale tail" in restaurants these days. Totally mind boggling... Maybe I'm just old but that just doesn't seem right to me at all.

I guess I am older than dirt. What is a 'whale tail?'