Your Favorite spots - Island Princess

sgutt86

I will be sailing on the Island Princess to Alaska Southbound Sept 3, For those who have sailed on this ship, especially during the Glacier Bay Day, where are your favorite viewing spots, any secret places to camp out at for the day to view the scenery? Or somewhere less crowded. Could you just stay on your balcony and get the best views or is it better to be up on the promenade?

Also, since we are in the bay for most of the day, are there better viewing times like first thing in the morning or does it not matter?

Also, more generally speaking, what are some of your favorite spots on the ship just...in general for "at sea" days?

Thanks!

I will be sailing on the Island Princess to Alaska Southbound Sept 3, For those who have sailed on this ship, especially during the Glacier Bay Day, where are your favorite viewing spots, any secret places to camp out at for the day to view the scenery? Or somewhere less crowded. Could you just stay on your balcony and get the best views or is it better to be up on the promenade?

Also, since we are in the bay for most of the day, are there better viewing times like first thing in the morning or does it not matter?

Also, more generally speaking, what are some of your favorite spots on the ship just...in general for "at sea" days?

Thanks!

Have been on the Island & the sister ship the Coral twice each.

Viewing: Best viewing is on Decks 14 by the pool and 15&16 above the main pool. There you can walk from side to side, end to end, get a drink at the bar, sit, be under cover or out of cover. The Horizon Ct. Buffet on the Island Princess faces forward and there are tables by the forward windows. Really nice, but they are limited and will be full early. Walk all the way forward on deck 10 or 11 and out the door at the end of the hall. There is a narrow viewing deck there which is covered. Good if it is raining. No seats, standing only. Aft areas on the Island Princess on decks 12,14 and 15 are part of the Sanctuary and are open to Sanctuary customers only. The entire Promenade deck offers good views. Views from one's cabin balcony are limited to what you can see from that location. Narration can be heard on your balcony through one of the TV channels. I prefer to be upstairs, but you are in these locations a long time so you can change viewing locations throughout the day. Another viewing location with comfortable chairs is the library on deck 8. But, there are only a few chairs if you can get one. Not certain if you can hear narration there.

Sea Days in cool weather I like the indoor pool and the conservatory above it. In the evening I like The Wheelhouse Bar for nice music and ballroom dancing, and Crooner's Lounge for Piano/Singer.

Thanks!

Have been on the Island & the sister ship the Coral twice each.

Viewing: Best viewing is on Decks 14 by the pool and 15&16 above the main pool. There you can walk from side to side, end to end, get a drink at the bar, sit, be under cover or out of cover. The Horizon Ct. Buffet on the Island Princess faces forward and there are tables by the forward windows. Really nice, but they are limited and will be full early. Walk all the way forward on deck 10 or 11 and out the door at the end of the hall. There is a narrow viewing deck there which is covered. Good if it is raining. No seats, standing only. Aft areas on the Island Princess on decks 12,14 and 15 are part of the Sanctuary and are open to Sanctuary customers only. The entire Promenade deck offers good views. Views from one's cabin balcony are limited to what you can see from that location. Narration can be heard on your balcony through one of the TV channels. I prefer to be upstairs, but you are in these locations a long time so you can change viewing locations throughout the day. Another viewing location with comfortable chairs is the library on deck 8. But, there are only a few chairs if you can get one. Not certain if you can hear narration there.

Sea Days in cool weather I like the indoor pool and the conservatory above it. In the evening I like The Wheelhouse Bar for nice music and ballroom dancing, and Crooner's Lounge for Piano/Singer.

There is so little written about the Island Princess from what I can find. We sail her in 6 days. I just booked so have lots of planning to do. Looking for similar information too.....

Agreed!! Come on Princess Islanders of the past, give us some deets!

I hope when you get back you can add some fun details, have a great trip!!

We have sailed the Island/Coral 12 times, and love the Wheelhouse Bar during the day and at night. Lots of great places to sit with big windows overlooking the Promenade deck and the sea. Near one of the entrances look for the little museum room with items from P&O the prior owner of PCL on the walls. I have alot of these items in my collection. ;)

Thanks!

The Island is a wonderful ship. There are aft open balconies that are avail for anyone to use. We were on a RT 14 days so visited Glacier Bay 2 times-both wonderful. One of the visits were were top deck, the other the main deck. The Captain did turn the ship around 1/2 hr each side, so we crossed over to make sure we didn't miss anything. We had wonderful sunny days both times. The NP Rangers will be on board. If you have a National Park Passport book, bring it. They have the stamp avail plus many other Glacier Bay NP items. The ranger will give talks as well most of the day. We liked the game room as well as library for quiet time which were just outside our cabin (internet cafe there as well). Also, as an aside, if you have a National Parks pass, bring it along for a few of the National Forest areas that you may visit. Mendenhall Visitor Center as well as SE Alaska Discovery Center both are included.

We've been on five full transits. Our last , B2B full transits on Island... great ship. Very much enjoyed Crooner's with its very open feeling both day and night. Yes, even while going through the Panama Canal which is a very long day. :)

LuLu

I've been on the Coral twice, next week will be my first time on the Island :)

There's lots of great places to see the glaciers - so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

You are on the June 18th sailing? Us too. We just received our cabin assignment today. Booked an obstructed oceanview. Received an obstructed balcony - in the front of the ship. I think we should be OK. Don't care if the view is partially blocked but love now having the fresh air and some where else to sit besides the cabin.

Looking if there is any secret places to go to. I know on Carnival ships often there is a deck that is not well know... very few people know about them and you can have a nice private viewing....

We enjoyed sitting outside on deck 7 in a lounge chair reading our books. It was very warm as we were doing a full transit Panama Canal but if need be you can bundle up and enjoy the peace and quiet. There are walkers doing their daily walking but that was no bother at all.

The card room was nice also but after a few days it was so busy we had to play cards in the Horizon Court. They let us use the closed area for our large group of card players. It was nice to be able to get coffee, snacks, etc and enjoy our card games also. The view was great also!!

The little bar area in the Bayou Cafe is a great place to have a mint julep and listen to Jazz music.

Yes, it is! :)

Unfortunately, lots of people don't realize they can use that bar and enjoy the jazz when they aren't having dinner there.

LuLu

Of all the Princess ships I've sailed on, the library on Island is hands down the best one. Those comfy leather chairs looking out on promenade deck are the best! Now if it's pleasant out, of course the loungers on promenade are awesome too.

I second the library as a quiet, restful and comfy spot to read. Good lighting. Overstuffed chairs and couches. Vast selection of books for borrowing. Hands down the best library I have yet encountered at sea.