Help on booking 7388/7688 Explorer for 3 (but have 2)

The cruise of my dreams is available next summer. 13 nights, Southampton to Spain to France and back. Both 7388 and 7688 are open but I can't book for only 2. 7387 is also open for the kids (although it shows "4" on website I can book only 2 in there) and I have it "on hold"

I called C&A and she couldn't put just dh and I in 7388. SO aggravating (while I DO understand them trying to sell every bed what is the chance of every single bed being sold??).

I know when final payments are due people can THEN book these cabins with only 2 (they can have my deposit TODAY versus waiting on a pipe dream... LOL) but you know these cabins will be GONE by then.

In doing research I've seen where people have suggested to put in 3, then remove one person prior to final payment due. Questions regarding this approach:

1) Has anyone ever done it? Did you have an issue (getting bumped from room)? What exactly happened when you deleted the person?

2) Any other ideas/thoughts on how to do this?

Fwiw, I have no issue with paying them the extra deposit for the 3rd person - they can either refund it prior to final payment or roll it over to pay off my balance, don't care. Worth it to me for the room.

Thanks for any insight.

Side note: she offered 9390 today (and can book for 2 only) but anyone who has done the comparison between these two KNOWS what one I really want!

I believe I would call RCI direct instead of C & A and "throw your weight around" using the fact you are a diamond member and want that specific cabin. All they can do is tell you no.

Normally I am not one to do this but I would under these conditions.

Tim

Ok, now I'm paranoid. I went in and put 7388 "on hold" for 3. Filled out all the info and then after saving it (and linking it to 7387) I removed a guest and it let me keep it. I put the deposit on my RCCL card. So I have the room for 2. But what if they bump me? Argh!!

Making dh call and double check this. I'm with you, I'll have him say the "we're the loyal RCCL people, etc." and see if that helps. Thanks

The cruise of my dreams is available next summer. 13 nights, Southampton to Spain to France and back. Both 7388 and 7688 are open but I can't book for only 2. 7387 is also open for the kids (although it shows "4" on website I can book only 2 in there) and I have it "on hold"

I called C&A and she couldn't put just dh and I in 7388. SO aggravating (while I DO understand them trying to sell every bed what is the chance of every single bed being sold??).

I know when final payments are due people can THEN book these cabins with only 2 (they can have my deposit TODAY versus waiting on a pipe dream... LOL) but you know these cabins will be GONE by then.

In doing research I've seen where people have suggested to put in 3, then remove one person prior to final payment due. Questions regarding this approach:

1) Has anyone ever done it? Did you have an issue (getting bumped from room)? What exactly happened when you deleted the person?

2) Any other ideas/thoughts on how to do this?

Fwiw, I have no issue with paying them the extra deposit for the 3rd person - they can either refund it prior to final payment or roll it over to pay off my balance, don't care. Worth it to me for the room.

Thanks for any insight.

Side note: she offered 9390 today (and can book for 2 only) but anyone who has done the comparison between these two KNOWS what one I really want!

Here are some pictures of Voyager-class rooms and you'll see 9390. Balcony on 9390 is mostly all sun with no overhang for any shade and there is no sliding glass door to the balcony. There's a nice big port hole window that some people sit in.

Tell Royal it's your dream cruise, which is what your telling us, along with having 7388/7688 as the dream room. May your dreams come true.

http://voyager-class.com/pictures/cabins/suit_GS/gallery.html

We have 7688 booked on the Navigator for 3 upcoming cruises. Just the DH and I.

I thought I'd read that RCI was going to stop allowing 2 to book in cabins for 3 and I mentioned this while I was booking. None of the agents knew what I was talking about and told me it was absolutely allowed.

I ended up going back in and adding my mom as our "3rd". It shows I paid deposit for 2 but isn't asking me to pay more. I'm going to leave her on there until a week or so before final payment, check out the balcony cabin situation (what looks open for 2/3/4 passengers) and then call and have her removed and make sure we're not moved!

Edited by masonpips

I ended up going back in and adding my mom as our "3rd". It shows I paid deposit for 2 but isn't asking me to pay more. I'm going to leave her on there until a week or so before final payment, check out the balcony cabin situation (what looks open for 2/3/4 passengers) and then call and have her removed and make sure we're not moved!

I had 7688 last Dec. and fell in love with that balcony. I was lucky and changed to that cabin after someone gave it up, just about 3 months before sail date. They gave it to just my husband and I. I also have the corner aft on the Grandeur, just booked that cabin about 2 wks. ago. It is a cabin that can sleep 3, but I had no trouble getting it for 2. I sure hope they don't switch that cabin on me. It is for our 50th anniversary and it will be our first JS. Unless, of course, they upgrade me to a OS or GS. :p

I am sure you will be able to keep it. And I know you will love it. Did you ever have that cabin before?

Good Luck and happy sailing........

Gwen :)

I am sure you will be able to keep it. And I know you will love it. Did you ever have that cabin before?

Good Luck and happy sailing........

Gwen :)

Thanks! We've had JS 7394 on Mariner, 1694 on Adventure and 1100 on Radiance but we were always rooming with kids then. This is our first non JS balcony cabin for Aft. GIDDY!

If the system lets you book for 2 people, then there are no restrictions on it. RCI has started enforcing (by blocking cabins in the system) its longtime policy of holding back cabins for 3/4 people during peak vacation times - summer and holidays (at least north of the equator; I don't know if they have the same rules for summer Down Under). But if you book for, say, October, then you are likely to find that those coveted aft balconies are available for 2 people. And this is only for cruises that depart during or after April of 2015.

Now, RCI will always have the right to move you if somebody with a party of 3/4 comes along and all of the 3/4 occupancy cabins are sold out, but I think that's a rare occurrence.

Somebody reported on another thread that they can't book a balcony on Enchantment for 5-6 weeks from now because all that's available are 3/4 - they have to book an OV or a JS if they want to go on that particular cruise. To me, that's nuts, and I hope it's another of RCI's famous programming blunders.

We had 7688 on voyager but warn you against getting this cabin.

After having this cabin I wouldn't book any other. Just loved the balcony. Amazing.

I've been totally spoilt.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If the system lets you book for 2 people, then there are no restrictions on it. RCI has started enforcing (by blocking cabins in the system) its longtime policy of holding back cabins for 3/4 people during peak vacation times - summer and holidays (at least north of the equator; I don't know if they have the same rules for summer Down Under). But if you book for, say, October, then you are likely to find that those coveted aft balconies are available for 2 people. And this is only for cruises that depart during or after April of 2015.

To back up what you're saying, I currently have a reservation for one of these rooms with only two people . . . but it is for an October date. I think they're lenient with this for off-season cruises.

• 1 year later...
Hi MasonPips

How did you end up going with cancelling your mother from your room? Did you get moved?

Hope you had a great cruise...

Thanks

Fwiw, I had this issue last June booking 7388 for Explorer out of Southampton. I gave them an extra "person" deposit to book it w/3, although I always intended only 2. After Thanksgiving I called to make updates to our Thanksgiving cruise and by then I was able to drop the 3rd TBD person. So if you can handle the 3rd deposit (if an E1) you can book it with a TBD and once you're much closer to final payment, you can probably drop the person and keep your coveted cabin!

Yes, they get more of your money to hold up front, but the cost goes against the price of the cruise eventually and you get the best cabin/balcony you want.

That is the weirdest thing I have ever heard. But again, maybe it's due to the time of year. I'm really surprised that an older ship would have that issue. I ran into it when Freedom first came on the scene and we decided not to sail her for that very reason at that time. We had no problem earlier this year booking 7388 for our 4/14/2017 Southern Caribbean cruise on Navigator and there are only 2 of us on the booking.

Edited by Teeara

I was forced to book three in 1700 on Liberty for a May sailing. Not really a problem as we are traveling with family but the grandchild will not be sleeping with us. So I had to pay about a $100 more for him in our cabin then the inside he will actually be sleeping in. But we got the cabin we wanted. Worth it but don't like playing the game. I wasn't allowed to put 2 in a K either so part of the family is further down the hall. My D+ status did not help.

Edited by cruiselvr04

We'll be in 7708 on Indy next week. We bought the cruise a few months ago and were surprised that the cabin and its twin 7408 were still available. Royal must of been holding out for 3/4 paxs and we lucked out.

We book a majority of our cruises the day they are announced as room placement is important to us.

Gotta be on the AFT......

I booked 7388 on Navigator the day the cruise was released (over a year ago) for two. I even asked if they might possibly bump us & was told no. Our cruise is now weeks away & it is sold out. Did it on the phone with Royal not C&A... Give that a try.

Hi MasonPips

How did you end up going with cancelling your mother from your room? Did you get moved?

Hope you had a great cruise...

Thanks

We ended up switching to another European cruise next summer so it became a non-issue! We snagged 7708 on Independence for that one, so it all worked out!