How big a step down is the food on Royal compared to Celebrity?

AEGBRG

Hi everyone,

Every cruise we have taken has been with Celebrity -- one exception being Oceania one year -- and are thinking about taking Royal this summer for the first time because Celebrity just does not have an itinerary we are interested in. (Celebrity really needs to change their itineraries up because they offer the exact same ones on the exact same boats every single summer for Europe but that is for another thread.)

The general consensus is the food is a step down from Celebrity but just how big? Since we have cruised with Celebrity a lot (we have cruised with them five times) we are used to top quality food for the most part. When deciding on a cruise, the itinerary is most important, but right behind it is the food. Will we find Royal very disappointing? The specific Royal boat is the Serenade of the Seas if it matters.

Thanks in advance.

IOHO, it is not a step down, but is somewhat different. Does that make sence? Our 1st RCCL cruise was in 1990, 1st X was in 1994. Untill the Lawn Club Grill on the Reflection last Nov our favorite speciality rest was Chops on RCCL. They are now tied for the lead!:)

We dress the same on both, and do the same things. RCCL is a tad more Bourbon Street up beat. We are Emerald on Royal, and will hit Elite in Nov on the Equinox.

We cruised RCCL in Nov. And Celebrity in May. We did not care for Celebrity. To each his own. We can say, since cruising in 1991, there is has been a huge decline. I heard they have to budget for each passenger about $15/ day. I could tell. Could we up that? I'm willing to pay more!

Karen

We like the selection of breads and soups better on Royal than Celebrity. At one time X offered some variety, but the warm rolls on Oasis and Allure this year were preferable even though Celebrity's are prepared daily the selection is inferior.. unless one has a bread stick addiction.

The beef selections on X are (were) better however according to the carnivore I cruise with. ;)

Hi everyone,

Every cruise we have taken has been with Celebrity -- one exception being Oceania one year -- and are thinking about taking Royal this summer for the first time because Celebrity just does not have an itinerary we are interested in. (Celebrity really needs to change their itineraries up because they offer the exact same ones on the exact same boats every single summer for Europe but that is for another thread.)

The general consensus is the food is a step down from Celebrity but just how big? Since we have cruised with Celebrity a lot (we have cruised with them five times) we are used to top quality food for the most part. When deciding on a cruise, the itinerary is most important, but right behind it is the food. Will we find Royal very disappointing? The specific Royal boat is the Serenade of the Seas if it matters.

Thanks in advance.

We love the Celebrity brand for myself and DH. We went on Royal's Liberty last Thanksgiving week with the entire family,which included five young Grandchildren. Food in MDR was very disappointing and there was a upcharge for lobster on formal night. The specialty restaurants were excellent and well worth the upcharge. This year we will take the family on the Constellation for Thanksgiving week, I am sure my family will appreciate a upgraded food experience with Celebrity's MDR during our cruise.

Before Celeb cutback reports in the last few months we consistently found food quality, venues and service much better than Royal...but enjoyed Royal too...just a nice dinner, nothing elegant or special. Not sure they would be very diff right now..

Have never been on Serenade but on other ships in that class. She is older than S class and probably more comparable to M class..altho, they were all upgraded recently. Maybe asking about Serenade dining on Royal Bd would give better info

If you are going for the itin...enjoy it, be pleasantly surprised if it is better than expected and plan on Specialty dining,

I have sailed on Carnival, Princess, HAL, RCCL, and Celebrity.

I enjoy the art of cooking as I do a lot of slow cooking in a kamado charcoal grill. While it may not be gourmet to some it is a art.

I am not one to say that something was cooked to perfection, seasoned correctly, had just the right hint of ... served at the right temp and etc. or it is to die for; I don't really know what any of that is or means. I do something, make notes and keep records for the next time. I constantly try to improve on it. Naturally quality in equals quality out. You cannot improve using garbage or low quality food like many of the land based hog trough buffets serve. I don't think any cruise line has lowered themselves to that level.

So for the background on where I am comming from I don't think any cruise line sets out to be any lesser that the other. They all want to serve the best possible using the best quality. Carnival doesn't set out to say that we need to be less than Princess or HAL so we need to find out what they are using and we will buy the cheaper stuff. They all try to be the best that they can.

On the cruise lines that I have sailed on I doubt if you were served any of their entrees in a blind test that you could tell what cruise line it came from. It seems to me to be all good and some entrees are better than then others, basically personal tastes. It just depends on what you ordered and what you like. Plus there is also the snob appeal and perceived value that it must be better because it is ...

I am sure that you will not starve for lack of "quality" food on RCCL.

🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

I find the MDR food fairly comparable. I likewise find the specialty restaurants fairly comparable; different themes, but comparable overall in terms of better food quality that the MDR. We love the Porch on Celebrity, and likewise the Park Cafe on Royal, for casual breakfast or lunch. I will give a nod to Celebrity for their buffet over Royal's...I love the build-your-own pasta station!

My choice is X by far for variety of menu and quality. We just did the Allure two months ago and X 3 months ago. We ended up on the Allure doing three speciality restaurants in the week because we were so disappointed in MDR. You do not have to do speciality restaurants on X unless you want a special treat. You can always find something. Now with Blu you can really do a different menu if you desire such.

In a small sample size, my wife and I would rate the buffet on RCI to be better than Celebrity....more variety and higher quality. This is comparing Solstice class to independence of the seas. For MDR, RCI had much better bread, while celebrity had better main courses and appetizers. Dessert a tie. However, itinerary and ship could make a difference. Our RCI was out of UK and they had two curry dishes on the MDR menu every night, limiting other choices. I loved the curry in the buffet, but the MDR were too spicy for me, so my choices were limited. Wife and I each had worst cruise MDR steak on RCL, but I had best prime rib. Throwing princess in the mix, we enjoy those MDR food the best but it was least ambience, and princess has worst buffet. To our tastes, it is easy to see which aspect each line is spending money on, but we will sail any again because each ship has strengths and weaknesses.

Sent from my iPad using Forums