2015 Repositioning to Vancouver (but not through the Canal)?

WayneFougere

Did you check Westerdam?

For some reason, I seem to have a niggling idea she used to go the 'long way' to reposition from FLL to Alaska.

I could be entirely wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. :o

Did you check Westerdam?

For some reason, I seem to have a niggling idea she used to go the 'long way' to reposition from FLL to Alaska.

I think "used to" could be the operative phrase here. If you think that you're probably right but I know it will be Panama Canal in 2015. There's a HUGE roll call (sadly without my participation) for that cruise.

Roy

I think "used to" could be the operative phrase here. If you think that you're probably right but I know it will be Panama Canal in 2015. There's a HUGE roll call (sadly without my participation) for that cruise.

Roy

You're right, Roy! I was going to say, "Join us", but I can see you've got other things planned.:D

Did you check Westerdam?

We are booked on the Westerdam repo in 2015 and are going through the canal.

Zaandam is doing Buenos Aires to Ft Lauderdale instead of to Vancouver in March-April 2015.

This itinerary seems to alternate between disembarkation in Vancouver and Ft L. So, perhaps 2016 will come to Vancouver.

I don't think you will find FtL to Vancouver via SA on HAL, unless they change their itineraries a lot.

We've done this one both directions : a great cruise either way!!

Looking at HAL's cruise schedules, you can't even cobble together your own journey from Florida to Vancouver, at least on HAL. Their cruises from Florida only go as far as Buenos Aires, while the South America circumnavigation cruises start in Rio (more than 1,000 miles farther south). Crystal and Regent both have cruises between BA and Rio, however I did not see where either of them has the complete itinerary you seek.

Roy

Thanks, Roy.

Is it through the Canal both going to Alaska and then back again to FLL in the fall?

The Ruby Princess goes from Ft Lauderdale to Los Angeles around the Horn and not through the Canal. It departs Ft Lauderdale on Jan 31st and arrives in LA on March 21st---49 day cruise. From there you could fly to Vancouver or stay on the Ruby Princess until she repositions on April 26th to Vancouver. For one month she does a couple of Mexico cruises before repositioning.

Edited by Storylady

Thanks, Roy.

Is it through the Canal both going to Alaska and then back again to FLL in the fall?

HAL doesn't go out that far yet for 2015. In 2014 they don't really repo to Ft. Lauderdale. They have a cruise from Vancouver to San Diego, a Mexican Riviera cruise or 2, and then go through the canal.

I think the market for a repo like that would be pretty small. Most people going around South America want to visit Antarctica, and there is too long a gap between the Alaska and Antarctica seasons to make it possible as a repo. It might be feasible to do a couple of circle Hawaii cruises from Vancouver or Seattle before such a repo, but not terribly likely.

The closest thing I saw on the HAL schedule was the Zaandam from Vancouver around the horn to Buenos Aires, but it goes back to Antarctica from there. Nothing I could see from any cruise line would continue around to FT Lauderdale for several months.

Roy

HAL doesn't go out that far yet for 2015. In 2014 they don't really repo to Ft. Lauderdale. They have a cruise from Vancouver to San Diego, a Mexican Riviera cruise or 2, and then go through the canal.

I think the market for a repo like that would be pretty small. Most people going around South America want to visit Antarctica, and there is too long a gap between the Alaska and Antarctica seasons to make it possible as a repo. It might be feasible to do a couple of circle Hawaii cruises from Vancouver or Seattle before such a repo, but not terribly likely.

The closest thing I saw on the HAL schedule was the Zaandam from Vancouver around the horn to Buenos Aires, but it goes back to Antarctica from there. Nothing I could see from any cruise line would continue around to FT Lauderdale for several months.

Roy

But the Zaandam does sail BA to Ft Lauderdale in March 2015

Edited by SilvertoGold

Roy

We were on B2B on Zuiderdam this year from San Diego. The first leg was a four night coastal- there were about 700 that boarded for the coastal in San Diego. Market is very large for the short re-positioning cruises as cost is low.

OP, sorry I think your out of luck on that one. The only ship that would have been doing that would have been the Zaandam, but she is heading to FL from SA in 2015. Then she will be doing FL thru the canal to Vancouver.

Edited by PathfinderEss

OP, sorry I think your out of luck on that one. The only ship that would have been doing that would have been the Zaandam, but she is heading to FL from SA in 2015. Then she will be doing FL thru the canal to Vancouver.

There was a repositioning cruise from South American to Vancouver in 2014 (tho' I have no idea where the ship originally started). The only circumnavigation of South America I see in 2015 starts and ends in Fort Lauderdale.

Thank you for all the advice. I'm now looking at other repositioning options to Vancouver in 2015. A couple are interesting to me but I'll need to convince my wife.

I did a repo from FLL to Vancouver in 1998 on the old Westerdam and we went through the PC. I don't thin k anyone does a reposition from Florida to Vancouver or Seattle without going through the Canal unless they are coming up from Australia or the Far East.