Is Concierge Class Still Relevant?

JonnyCT81

Defined Italy not worth paying a large premium.

How I love Auto correct... Watching Italy as they battle England in the World Cup. England pays a large premium for their team and they're not getting their money's worth...

;)

Now back to the other classes...

How I love Auto correct... Watching Italy as they battle England in the World Cup. England pays a large premium for their team and they're not getting their money's worth...

;)

Now back to the other classes...

Auto correct defeats me too many times!!:-)

I am trying to figure out if I should take exception to this post:confused: That is a pretty wide brush stroke that you have lumped me in. I do my research and know exactly what I am getting. I also do not book CC to be "special" :rolleyes: I prefer cabin location, (C2's on Sky deck (10) on S Class preferably", larger rooms on the M Class and a few of the amenities such as the foot stools on the balcony. It will not spoil my cruise if I sail in a reg balcony but if the price point meets our budget I will book CC every time.

Well, I certainly did. Rather narrow minded to lump people into two categories and stating there could only be two. :confused:

I love CC cabins on M-Class ships. If they are in my budget, that's what I book for many of the reasons others have stated.

So, in the end, I guess I still consider Concierge Class to be relevant on M-Class only.

I really appreciate the CC class foot stools because I spend a lot of time on the balcony reading and just enjoying the wonderful ocean air.

I also like the extra points towards Elite. We are very close to Elite. We are Diamond PLus on Royal, but I have the anxious feeling that one day those two programs will cease to be reciprocal, so I want to earn Elite status on Celebrity just in case the day comes that D+ on Royal no longer counts on Celebrity.

We don't book CC class staterooms to feel better than other folks. As soon as you leave your room, no one knows what room you are in anyway, biggest suite on the ship or smallest inside room on the lowest deck or anything in between. Besides, no passenger has ever asked me what class of stateroom I had booked.

Edited by Gangway Style

Hi-

Love aft cabins & even though the S ships don't offer the larger balconies that the M do- the wake is still so appealing!

Happy that they're not for everyone because the fares would reflect that.

Meg

We booked CC for our first ever cruise in 2006. There were several reasons, most (all, probably) mentioned by one or another poster already: location (hump), balcony size, priority embarkation, afternoon canapes, bubbly....

One thing I will say -- when we booked the cabin, we did feel "special," because we wanted to pamper ourselves on our first cruise and our 20th anniversary. But we certainly did not aim to feel "better" than anyone else. We took absolutely no one but ourselves into consideration when booking our cabin!

That being said, I feel now, after three other cruises (though on different lines), that we were, as inexperienced cruisers, a little "taken in' by the CC hype. The "glamour" of the CC experience was not quite as we expected based on the advertising -- I have since realized that we didn't get as much value out of the extra charge as we thought we were getting. One reason for this might be that we did not utilize the concierge much -- we were not really aware of what we might use her for! (I am still not entirely sure...)

I think the Concierge Class will always hold interest for various cruisers, for various reasons. Some may conclude that they are getting exactly what they have paid for, and some may not. Celebrity is certainly not the only cruise line to offer distinctions in cabin "class' at various levels of surcharge. There is something to please everyone.

About the only time I'd book Concierge class over a standard balcony was if I wanted one of those terrific C1 aft staterooms on the aft of the M-class ships -or- closer to sailing if =X= reduced the price on Concierge to nearly the same price as standard balconies. And if AQ was in the same basic price range as Concierge, I'd choose AQ over Concierge any day (for Blu).

Probably 70% of the time we sail just the two of us vs. with friends or other family, so the MDR isn't that big of a deal to miss out on like it would be if when we're with a group of friends and/or family. Also, we've been fortunate to reach Elite Plus, and the extra few points you get with Concierge will NEVER get us to Zenith, so there's no incentive in our case to get those few extra credits. We've got nowhere to "climb" !!

Any features/benefits of a specific cabin category has value to only the people that want those specific things. Every category description has "fluff" benefits listed. Aqua Class benefits over and above Concierge class, are the "advertised glamour" of Blu and Persian Gardens. These have no value to me so why would I pay the extra money. Even if AQ was less than CC (which it often is) I would not book it because I would be forced to eat in Select rather than Early Traditional with my friends (although there might be a way, who knows).

So I put a certain value the better cabin locations & larger cabins on M Class (bad, noisy cabin = unhappy DH), footstools plus all the little extras that CC and AQ get, and go from there. Maybe over the years we have used all the benefits, busy embarkation day so loved the priority boarding, tried the pillow menu a couple of times until I found my fav, expanded room service bkfst about 3 times a cruise and DH like the shoeshine service. The other stuff not so much, umbrella, binoculars, personalized stationary etc

We all have budgets and I get my CC about 75% of the time:D

Location, location, location! We just booked a C3 for just $50 more than a 2A on Silhouette. It put us just aft of the hump on (what seems to be desirable) Deck 10. The other perks are just icing on the cake.

What is all the talk about foot stools about? Do only the larger balcony staterooms aft and on the hump get those?

An opinion from a couple that hasn't cruised since we were kids (on far smaller ships than Celebrity sails)...We booked CC on our upcoming Reflection cruise primarily because it let us get a larger angled balcony on the hump for about $280 more than an aft balcony. Also closer to midship, which were important since we don't know how she'll stomach being at sea after so long. The "perks" that come along with CC are really just bonuses, so if something doesn't match what was offered by Celebrity, we're not likely to be too upset about it. The main thing was the larger angled balcony - without which we wouldn't have done CC. (The priority embarkation, foot stools canapes, flowers and the showerhead are nice touches though)

Also, we didn't do AQ because neither of us would particularly care for the spa and because there are so many quality dining options on board, we really don't think we're missing much by not having access to Blu. The price difference between an A2 and a C2 was way too much for perks that we really wouldn't enjoy anyway.

I think the one thing about CC that seems to be clear from others comments is that Celebrity needs to do a better job delivering on the perks they've advertised as coming with CC staterooms. It also seems that the quality of some of these perks could stand to be improved - for example, delivering berries and melon instead of 3 cheap apples for the welcome fruit platter. Improving the quality and reliability of what's delivered would probably make CC more marketable and desirable in the long run.

Edited by PlanetX

I've just returned from the June 2nd Med cruise on Reflection. Had room 1118, deck 10, angled toward the hump, a C2 CC cabin. Loved the big balcony.

I had our room steward exchange the welcome Champagne for a bottle of red wine. Also had him deliver us 2 shrimp cocktails everyday at 4:00PM instead of the olive tray. Very nice shrimp! He would put them in the minibar. Other than that, I didn't see much difference from a regular balcony cabin.

I will say this...there was not enough room in the cabin due to the large fixed bed located near the balcony door. Many times I bumped into my wife as we both tried to move about.

The bed should have been a convertible type because it was in the way most of the time. There was also a lack of storage. Only 3 drawers near the minibar and 2 large cabinets above the bed. That was it. I ended up keeping most of my stuff in the suitcase under the bed.

Location, location, location! We just booked a C3 for just $50 more than a 2A on Silhouette. It put us just aft of the hump on (what seems to be desirable) Deck 10. The other perks are just icing on the cake.

What is all the talk about foot stools about? Do only the larger balcony staterooms aft and on the hump get those?

Regular balcony cabins do not get them.......You booked a C3 so

you wil receive them. Your original 2A cabin does not have them.

In regards to booking AQ over a sky suite in the original post, we were not impressed with Blu at all and laugh when people rave like it's a 5 star restaurant...we always start with a sky suite and move up...more space vs. not spending $5? Just reinforces different strokes for different folks!!!

I've booked C1 cabins since I started sailing with Celebrity for the location and points. I am one cruise away from Elite. I've sailed in balconies all over the ship on other lines, so I think that I can save some money by booking a balcony in the future.

I'm glad I'm not alone in taking offense to the original post. We're booked in CC on the Equinox for our upcoming cruise, and couldn't be more excited for all the little perks. The trip is a family reunion of sorts from my father courtesy of a rather nice travel bonus he earned this year, and at time of booking the number of people, cabins, etc would have put us far over budget had they gone with the AQ rooms. As it is, we all have adjoining CC cabins, and are looking forward to some fine times in the MDR. :-) Late dining is perfect when coming from the west coast.

I'll try not to act haughty to the other passengers due to my epic elitist cabin. :-p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm glad I'm not alone in taking offense to the original post. We're booked in CC on the Equinox for our upcoming cruise, and couldn't be more excited for all the little perks. The trip is a family reunion of sorts from my father courtesy of a rather nice travel bonus he earned this year, and at time of booking the number of people, cabins, etc would have put us far over budget had they gone with the AQ rooms. As it is, we all have adjoining CC cabins, and are looking forward to some fine times in the MDR. :-) Late dining is perfect when coming from the west coast.

I'll try not to act haughty to the other passengers due to my epic elitist cabin. :-p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,:) I don't think most folks were offended by the original post.....

it was post #9 that most people got upset about.:eek:

Edited by Lois R

Our first Celebrity cruise was earlier this year and we chose CC because the price difference was minimal and it guaranteed us a better location. The only other perk we thought was worthwhile was the footstools on the balcony. I felt the CC created an expectation that it did not deliver on. For example, when boarding, the line was so short that there was no "priority" boarding line. We overheard one passenger arguing with staff and demanding they open the priority line because he was CC and paid extra for that perk. We were a bit disappointed that we didn't get "priority seating" for the MDR as advertised.

We are taking our second Celebrity cruise this November and this time are going AQ. We are not fans of the MDR and would like to try Blu. Does AQ get the footstool on the balcony same as CC? I don't see this info listed on the website. Thanks!

In regards to booking AQ over a sky suite in the original post, we were not impressed with Blu at all and laugh when people rave like it's a 5 star restaurant...we always start with a sky suite and move up...more space vs. not spending $5? Just reinforces different strokes for different folks!!!

We're one of those you laugh at I suppose.....we love Blu, it's got a great ambiance and the wait staff is very attentive, as attentive as any 5 star restaurant, and certainly more attentive than then MDR staff AND Murano's in our 3 trips to THAT Spec. Rest. When in a RS a few years ago, we still opted for Blu 10 out 12 nights, because it WAS so good and so welcoming....and had no issue with paying the $5pp upcharge.....is the food 5Star...probably not but I haven't eaten ANYTHING 5star worthy on a ship since the Normandie FIRST opened back in 2001.....all the Spec Rest have slipped since then.....

Though I appreciate that lots of people have different opinions.....I try NOT to laugh at them when I don't agree with their choices.....cause if EVERYONE liked one venue it would get REALLY crowded REALLY fast......:)

Hi,:) I don't think most folks were offended by the original post.....

it was post #9 that most people got upset about.:eek:

Quite right, it was #9 about which I was thinking. My brain is only partially functional pre-coffee. Thank you for the correction!

We normally book Concierge but will go reg balcony if the pricing is too high. We never book AQ (prefer the better cabin locations of CC, not interested in Blu and we usually travel with friends and enjoy our 4-8 top in the MDR) I do get annoyed when AQ is priced lower than CC tho:D

We also normally book Concierge Class. We have cruised in Aqua 2 time now and have 1 booked for Aug 2015. 1st time in Aqua was to try it. 2nd time Aqua was cheaper than CC. Plus we got 25 extra points. The points are nice, but with 2000 points to get to Zenith. We should make it, but it is not really a goal.

We cruise with 4 to 10 people. Some friends dont want to spend as much on their cabins. We would only book Aqua if all in the group wants Aqua. It comes down to if all CC were Aqua that at time we would have to cruise in category 1A. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with 1A. Blu would have to be much bigger. I dont even think Blu has a table for 10 people. Aqua you can only have 2 people to a cabin. I think cruise with more than 2 in a cabin would be a nightmare. Might be ok if there were 2 bedrooms.

We booked a 1B (balcony) on our next Silhouette cruise, don't see any value in either CC or AC (we tried BLU once, not impressed). We like the buffet best of all on these ships, so we skip the MDR and stick with the Buffet. Doing this we save on extra costs for the cabin and have not need to tip extra over and above the auto tip for the MDR. The cabins are all the same and the MDR is too crowded and noisey for us, plus food is hit an miss. We are much happier with a late lunch from the buffet that we take back to enjoy on our balcony. We can find something we like at the buffet with the variety there.