Then and now $$

Sat1

My wife, and I, sailed the Ryndam inside passage from YVR May 7.2000. Our cabin, cat A # 047 was upped to 23! Price of our passage $4,804. Not much different from today.:)

Our first Hal cruise in 1995 on the Ryndam, 7 day Alaska inside passage cruise in a Neptune Suite was $7,524. An Alaskan cruise in a Neptune Suite today for 7 days was a whopping $4,527 on the Zaandam inside passage. Me's think cruising has gotten more reasonable over the years, but I'm certainly seeing higher price for next year.

My first cruise, 6 days, Mexican Riviera, from Los Angeles, on a cruiseline no longer in business.

I had a cabin about the size of the bathroom of my SY cabin on the Eurodam last month.

$500! 1975

Well I would agree pricing has not real risen the last ten to fifteen years, lots of competition and a ton of ships have made this possible.

To me the real issue is: has the cruising experience improved over the past 10-15 years?

The value of these comparisons depend on when you book, how full the specific ship is when you book, what class of ship, any promos like OBC, Pinnacle dinners,etc. All these factors influence the pricing at any given time. Pretty hard to make valid comparisons.

I agree with SilvertoGold. Because my husband is a teacher, the only time we can cruise is during school breaks, when prices are higher. Our cruise costs have stayed about the same while the cabins have gotten larger (similar category). Air fare, on the other hand, has increased significantly.

The value of these comparisons depend on when you book, how full the specific ship is when you book, what class of ship, any promos like OBC, Pinnacle dinners,etc. All these factors influence the pricing at any given time. Pretty hard to make valid comparisons.

I sort of agree with you but can say that our first cruise on the Ryndam was in August and our last one on the Zaandam was in May. Certainly there is a difference as May is early for Alaska cruises and cheaper. August is still peak traveling time for Alaska. When we first started there was no such thing as OBC, Pinnacle dinners, etc. There is no comparison in what we recieved in perks then and now. There were no perks in 1995, now we get lots of perks for staying in suites and being mariners. Sure we have lost some service over the years but we have added on many others.

Edited by PathfinderEss

I sort of agree with you but can say that our first cruise on the Ryndam was in August and our last one on the Zaandam was in May. Certainly there is a difference as May is early for Alaska cruises and cheaper. August is still peak traveling time for Alaska. When we first started there was no such thing as OBC, Pinnacle dinners, etc. There is no comparison in what we recieved in perks then and now. There were no perks in 1995, now we get lots of perks for staying in suites and being mariners. Sure we have lost some service over the years but we have added on many others.

"Sort of agree" is good enough for me, Melody.

We used to find May for Alaska cheaper, but not now. Our best pricing lately has been last minute in July and August!

A lot of the difference can come from how far out you book. Can be significant!

"Sort of agree" is good enough for me, Melody.

We used to find May for Alaska cheaper, but not now. Our best pricing lately has been last minute in July and August!

A lot of the difference can come from how far out you book. Can be significant!

True enough SilvertoGold.

wow, this thread has brought back great memories of my very 1st cruise on HAL in 1982 . It was 7 days in the Caribbean out of Puerto Rico and was $699 for an inside but that included airfare from MN!

Now we find the cheaper cruises are ones that return to port just before Christmas. We live in FL so airfare and the hassle of Christmas air or train travel are not issues for us.

Edited by take us away

In 1999 did a 7 day Alaska cruise on HAL. Paid around $3600 ish (maybe $3680....) total for 2 pax in an inside guarantee. Recent 7 day Alaska cruise OV guarantee was $1200 ish solo on HAL. Started out at $1020 (IIRC) but then I moved myself into a better OV category.