Beverage package

Cruize

Hi,

Really looking forward to our next cruise on Princess (Emerald).

Just a question that a recent cruiser may be able to answer. Apparently there is a beverage package (approx $49 + 15%). A lot of conflicting reviews / comments on this topic. Do both pax in the same cabin (stateroom) have to buy the package or is it an individual purchase?

I am not an excessive consumer of alcohol or caffeine or soda but neither is my wife. It doesn't take long for a couple of coffees, water, a few beers, a glass of wine and a night cap or 2 to add up to $50 per day. Princess would be making a lot of money if both of us had to purchase the package. But I think I would benefit from this and would budget accordingly.

Please only respond if you have first hand experience of this as there is plenty of conjecture already! AND I know Princess state that it is an individual purchase.

Cheers,

Paul

I am not an excessive consumer of alcohol or caffeine or soda but neither is my wife. It doesn't take long for a couple of coffees, water, a few beers, a glass of wine and a night cap or 2 to add up to $50 per day. Princess would be making a lot of money if both of us had to purchase the package. But I think I would benefit from this and would budget accordingly.
I assume you mean your costs would add up to $50/day for each of you, not $25/day for each of you. If it's $25/day for each of you, the all-inclusive wouldn't make sense since the package is per-person and not shareable. Yes, you could probably get away with ordering a drink for your wife with your card but you're on the honor system not to do so. Kind of like going to a buffet restaurant, paying for one and getting two plates, one for each of you.

DH and I just got off the Star Princess yesterday. Since we both had the package, DH could order drinks for both of us and just show his sticker.

BTW, it's not that easy to cheat and buy drinks for other people with your sticker. It only takes the bar staff a couple of days to figure out who has purchased the sticker, and in our case, we knew two of the bar staff from prior cruises. It's also awkward to use your sticker to get a glass of wine at dinner and then hand the glass to the person who didn't buy the sticker.:eek:

My advice is that unless one person really doesn't drink at all, or drinks very little, both people should buy the sticker. That last thing that I would want to worry about on vacation is being watched to see if I was using my sticker to buy drinks for my spouse.

I forgot to add that we did tip a little extra on the last night to a few of the bar staff, and our waiters, for bringing us our drinks, but we normally do that anyway.

Edited by partybarbie

We just got off the Crown to Alaska last month and only my wife bought the sticker, since she drinks more than I do on a cruise (likes a bloody mary in the morning). Plus, one of the main benefits to us is the 40% off wine bottles, it would not make sense for us to both have the wine discount. We just showed her card to the asst waiter at dinner and the cabin bill had the discounted price on it. For a $40 bottle of wine, that was a $16 nightly savings. However, one thing that happened is that every morning we went to the coffee bar at the International Cafe to have our iced carmel mochas, they did not charge me for mine, even though I presented my coffee card to be punched and told them I did not have the beverage stamp. This happened every morning, so essentially they never punched my card even though I reminded them each time I had not purchased the package. The staff just kind of waved it off. I felt a little guilty (just a little), but that's what they kept doing. We would have drank more if the weather was warmer, so I think we just broke even on the deal. The following week (we did a back to back) we decided not to buy the package, since it was not a big bargain for us in the colder weather (plus we had the Elite mini-bar set-up which provided enough alcohol and sodas for us).

Thanks for all the feed back.

One thing we always do and that is tip good bar and wait staff. Pays dividends when it's busy, a wave or nod and there's our drinks.

Can't wait till August, but we have to! Only 8 weeks to board the Emerald.

Cheers,

Paul

I wish that Princess would sell a Non-alcoholic beverage package similar to Celebritys. It includes everything e3xcept alcoholic drinks.I don't drink alcohol, BUT my husband does, BUT I drink Cappuccinos ,etc all day and bottled water, and the odd soft drink. etc.

Anyway, Princess will figure it out hopefully.

I wish that Princess would sell a Non-alcoholic beverage package similar to Celebritys. It includes everything e3xcept alcoholic drinks.I don't drink alcohol, BUT my husband does, BUT I drink Cappuccinos ,etc all day and bottled water, and the odd soft drink. etc.

Anyway, Princess will figure it out hopefully.

They offer a unlimited soda and more package. Includes soda, mock tails, juices, hot chocolate ,floats etc. $8.05 per day

Also have coffee card for $31. For 15 cappuccino ! Specialty coffee

And only that person could partake in the package. ;)

It supposed to work that way but you'd be surprised how many people only buy just one package & they never question it. I've seen people standing on line in front of me at the ice cream bar ordering 4 shakes at a time without a blink of an eye. ;)

Thanks for all the feed back.

One thing we always do and that is tip good bar and wait staff. Pays dividends when it's busy, a wave or nod and there's our drinks.

Can't wait till August, but we have to! Only 8 weeks to board the Emerald.

Cheers,

Paul

Get to know the server at little early in the cruise & it works wonders.

It supposed to work that way but you'd be surprised how many people only buy just one package & they never question it. I've seen people standing on line in front of me at the ice cream bar ordering 4 shakes at a time without a blink of an eye. ;)

Get to know the server at little early in the cruise & it works wonders.

Very true but is that the right thing to do or tell someone else to? Edited by Pam in CA

They offer a unlimited soda and more package. Includes soda, mock tails, juices, hot chocolate ,floats etc. $8.05 per day

Also have coffee card for $31. For 15 cappuccino ! Specialty coffee

That package is more for "sugar" holics(:).

The bottled waters, specialty coffees are what I used the Celebrity package for.

The coffee cards look like a great deal and that is what I would choose.

My husband would go for the full alcohol package.

Have a great day and Thanks:

Very true but is that the right thing to do or tell someone else to?

Princess doesn't see anything wrong with a person being off the ship all day long and charging full price while I don't see anything wrong with an extra drink every now & then.

Everyone has to decide for themselves what is proper.

Even on port days, we still broke even on the drink package. On sea days, we came out a little ahead.

We were traveling in a group of eight, and we never bought anyone a drink using our stickers. If enough people try to "cheat" with the drink package, Princess will just stop offering it. Or maybe they will be like Celebrity where one has to finish their beverage in the lounge where it was purchased?

I sincerely hope that there are enough honest people purchasing the drink package so that Princess will continue to offer it.

Even on port days, we still broke even on the drink package. On sea days, we came out a little ahead.

We were traveling in a group of eight, and we never bought anyone a drink using our stickers. If enough people try to "cheat" with the drink package, Princess will just stop offering it. Or maybe they will be like Celebrity where one has to finish their beverage in the lounge where it was purchased?

I sincerely hope that there are enough honest people purchasing the drink package so that Princess will continue to offer it.

Glad to hear we aren't the only ones who still break even on Port Days. :D

We were on the cruise with others we knew quite well but certainly never ordered them drinks using our stickers. Doing so just seems totally unethical.

LuLu

Edited by OCruisers

Glad to hear we aren't the only ones who still break even on Port Days. :D

We were on the cruise with others we knew quite well but certainly never ordered them drinks using our stickers. Doing so just seems totally unethical.

LuLu

I'm almost always our "designated driver" at home. I have to make up for it somewhere.;)

We are going on the Emerald in Novemebr and wr're definitely getting the drink package! This will be our first cruise that it had been offered. My question is, when do you buy it? Do you buy it before you cruise or as soon as you board? Our ritual when we board is the head to the first bar we see and get a Beverly Hills Iced Tea :rolleyes:

Thanks!!!

Princess doesn't see anything wrong with a person being off the ship all day long and charging full price while I don't see anything wrong with an extra drink every now & then.

Everyone has to decide for themselves what is proper.

You're right. We all have different moral compasses.

When asked specifically about possible sharing of the all-inclusive beverage card, the Princess Customer Services officer said, "We know that Princess passengers are honest and won't share. They're better than that."

:X

We are going on the Emerald in Novemebr and wr're definitely getting the drink package! This will be our first cruise that it had been offered. My question is, when do you buy it? Do you buy it before you cruise or as soon as you board? Our ritual when we board is the head to the first bar we see and get a Beverly Hills Iced Tea :rolleyes:

Thanks!!!

On the Star Princess, a table was set up by the MUTS pool, and the stickers could be purchased there.

You're right. We all have different moral compasses.

When asked specifically about possible sharing of the all-inclusive beverage card, the Princess Customer Services officer said, "We know that Princess passengers are honest and won't share. They're better than that."

:X

What there really saying is "We know that Princess passengers are honest and won't share. We hope they're better than that."

Obviously they know that some sharing goes on to some degree & really can't be controlled. I'm surprised that they haven't gone to requiring that all people in a cabin to purchase the package like other cruise lines.