The $60/person/day hold...

runnergirl71

When HAL puts the $60/person/day hold on the card, it is JUST for the $60/person/day (in the case of my Alaska cruise, $420 for me), right? They don't hold slightly over it?

Just trying to get my ducks all lined up and make sure there's enough on the card. I'm asking because I know with excursions, they would hold a certain amount over the excursion itself and then go in to get the exact amount for the excursion with the extra hold being returned to usable funds. If they do a percentage over the $60/person/day on a card, I'll probably just get $420 in cash and give them that. (Which would necessitate going to guest services the last night or last morning to get what's not used back, right?)

TIA!

When HAL puts the $60/person/day hold on the card, it is JUST for the $60/person/day (in the case of my Alaska cruise, $420 for me), right? They don't hold slightly over it?

Just trying to get my ducks all lined up and make sure there's enough on the card. I'm asking because I know with excursions, they would hold a certain amount over the excursion itself and then go in to get the exact amount for the excursion with the extra hold being returned to usable funds. If they do a percentage over the $60/person/day on a card, I'll probably just get $420 in cash and give them that. (Which would necessitate going to guest services the last night or last morning to get what's not used back, right?)

TIA!

AFAIK and what everyone has mentioned it would be exactly $60/person/day ($420 for a 7 day cruise). If you go the route of cash, it would be $420 minus any obc you happen to have. As you mentioned, you can get the remainder after about 9pm on the last night. At whatever point you get the refund your charging rights end.

On HAL, excursions are totally paid for on your Credit Card at time of purchase. There is no over amount and it is not a HOLD. You pay entirely for the excursion at the time of purchase. IF you cancel before the cruise the refund is applied to your Credit Card. IF you cancel once on-board it goes to your on-board account as an OBC.

I can't speak to the cash necessary, as I always just use a Credit Card and let the excess charges go to the card.

On HAL, excursions are totally paid for on your Credit Card at time of purchase. There is no over amount and it is not a HOLD. You pay entirely for the excursion at the time of purchase. IF you cancel before the cruise the refund is applied to your Credit Card. IF you cancel once on-board it goes to your on-board account as an OBC.

That's true if you purchase the excursion in advance. If you book the excursion on board, the cost is applied to your onboard account.

OP, the $60 per day hold is what is held unless you charge more than that. If your on board expenses exceed the amount held, then an additional amount will also be put on hold.

HAL needs to have enough credit on hold to cover your bill.

Some excursions are pretty expensive. You may consider buying them now -- that way you have them paid for.

If you change your mind about an excursion and if it is 3 days before the cruise, then it will be refunded back to your credit card. If you change your mind once on board the ship on the first day there is no penalty and the cost will be refunded via shipboard account. The booklet in your cabin will list the deadlines as to when excursions can be cancelled with a 10% penalty. If you miss the deadline, then you get nothing back.

Yes, I have already purchased my excursions, so that's taken care of.

HOWEVER, when I purchased them, HAL got an authorization for a percentage more than the excursion cost, then they actually took the correct amount and the additional money was released back onto the card for usage. (Example: my bamboo massage was like $159, they authorized something like $189. After a few days, the charge settled where I had actually paid $159 and the extra $30 was released.)

As for the clarification on the $60/person/day, thank you for the clarification Ruth. That's what I was making sure of. I bought $100 shipboard credit for myself, and the coffee lover's package so I'll have a small beverage card (I think it's $25) and am not planning to spend any additional money, so there shouldn't be anything over (or even close to) the $420 being charged in the end. I'll obviously have more credit than $420 on the credit card, but I didn't want to be surprised if it came up as more suddenly.

If you change your mind about an excursion and if it is 3 days before the cruise, then it will be refunded back to your credit card. If you change your mind once on board the ship on the first day there is no penalty and the cost will be refunded via shipboard account. The booklet in your cabin will list the deadlines as to when excursions can be cancelled with a 10% penalty. If you miss the deadline, then you get nothing back.

OK, that brings up a question... Reading on here that some excursions get cancelled due to lack of participation, while it will make me very sad as there isn't an alternative to the exact excursion and time-frame I'm booked on (one of the whale watching trips...the first slot is waitlisted, but my slot still shows availability), if it's cancelled for that reason (or I guess another by the provider), is that shipboard credit as well or back on the card that it originally went on? Asking that because the card I originally used for it was a "paycard" where my paycheck from my former parttime job was sent, and since I don't work for that company anymore, the card has been closed.

OK, that brings up a question... Reading on here that some excursions get cancelled due to lack of participation, while it will make me very sad as there isn't an alternative to the exact excursion and time-frame I'm booked on (one of the whale watching trips...the first slot is waitlisted, but my slot still shows availability), if it's cancelled for that reason (or I guess another by the provider), is that shipboard credit as well or back on the card that it originally went on? Asking that because the card I originally used for it was a "paycard" where my paycheck from my former parttime job was sent, and since I don't work for that company anymore, the card has been closed.

If it is cancelled on board, it will be credited to your on board account

HOWEVER, when I purchased them, HAL got an authorization for a percentage more than the excursion cost, then they actually took the correct amount and the additional money was released back onto the card for usage. (Example: my bamboo massage was like $159, they authorized something like $189. After a few days, the charge settled where I had actually paid $159 and the extra $30 was released.)

That sounds to me like an error that was corrected, as we've never had that happen on anything we've pre-purchased.

Maybe they were adding the 15% mandatory tip on the spa treatment.

That was my initial thought, and I was fine with them going ahead and charging it since they give me no choice in what I want to tip (note: I live in NYC and know and give proper tipping amounts - and for a spa treatment it's usually 20% - but when you start telling me what I WILL tip, that's it. That's what you'll get.), but the final amount pulled was the published cost of the treatment.

AFAIK and what everyone has mentioned it would be exactly $60/person/day ($420 for a 7 day cruise). If you go the route of cash, it would be $420 minus any obc you happen to have. As you mentioned, you can get the remainder after about 9pm on the last night. At whatever point you get the refund your charging rights end.

Hi I spoke with Holland the other day and they said OBC could not be used for the $60.00 per day charge. I thought that was odd so I even called back and spoke to another gal who told me the same thing??

Hi I spoke with Holland the other day and they said OBC could not be used for the $60.00 per day charge. I thought that was odd so I even called back and spoke to another gal who told me the same thing??

If you give them a credit card they will hold the entire $60/person/day. If you choose to have a cash account, you only have to give them the difference between that amount and the OBC credit you have.

Example - you are doing cash for a 7 day cruise. You have $100 Stockholder credit and $50 future cruise deposit credit. You would then have to provide either $270 gy gifting yourself obc, or by presenting cash or travelers check at check in. If you present a credit / debit card at check in, it would be authorized for the total $60/person/day.

Edited by richwmn

When we boarded Oosterdam last year we had over $1700 OBC on our account. HAL still held $60 p/p per day on our credit card.

If that cruise had been 14 days of less (assuming 2 of you) and you selected cash, you would not have been required to put up anything else unless you exceeded your OBC. As I mentioned in my last post, if you give them a Credit or Debit Card they will authorize $60/person/day no matter how much OBC you have. Having that much credit, I would have just chosen cash and dealt with any overage later.

If that cruise had been 14 days of less (assuming 2 of you) and you selected cash, you would not have been required to put up anything else unless you exceeded your OBC. As I mentioned in my last post, if you give them a Credit or Debit Card they will authorize $60/person/day no matter how much OBC you have. Having that much credit, I would have just chosen cash and dealt with any overage later.

Ok, here's a question... If you select cash, can you elect to change to card at the port and utilize the OBC? Or would changing to card revert to the $60/day being held?

Ok, here's a question... If you select cash, can you elect to change to card at the port and utilize the OBC? Or would changing to card revert to the $60/day being held?

My understanding is that they will authorize $60/person/day whenever they get the card. I usually make sure I have enough OBC to cover my needs so I have never run into it. I would guess that if you present the card after the beginning of the cruise they would authorize the $60 for the remaining days plus whatever you owe over the OBC you have

We didn't know about the large OBC credit until we started going through the mountain of gift cards on board (wedding gifts). We ended up owing about $800 so was no big deal leaving the credit card on the account. Cruise was 7 nights. Was the first time I've gotten 7 Mariner nights from on-board spending :)

My understanding is that they will authorize $60/person/day whenever they get the card. I usually make sure I have enough OBC to cover my needs so I have never run into it. I would guess that if you present the card after the beginning of the cruise they would authorize the $60 for the remaining days plus whatever you owe over the OBC you have

Got it. Ok, I think I will just have cash with me (the whole amount just in case...then if it's not needed bonus spending for ashore). Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

So, just starting cruise planning for my family of 4 - do they hold $60/day for kids (3rd and 4th in cabin?) That'd be $1680 in holds...only about $1000 less than total cost for the room we are considering!

Want to make sure that I know what to expect when it is time to sail! :)

Depends on the age of your children.

$60 per person per day 18 years and older.

In order for the children to be exempt I think you have to have their cards restricted so nothing can be charged on them. I don't know that from personal experience, rather just what I have read in the past on CC.