Random questions

brookeinmn

I have a few random questions that I haven't been able to find an answer for yet. We are on the Oosterdam.

1. Ladies...do you carry a purse on board? I can't decide what I want to do here. I wear a lot of dresses, so I won't always have a pocket for my key card. What have you found to be most convenient? Lanyard, purse..nothing??

2. Does HAL have cholula or picante sauce in the MDR or Lido for breakfast?

3. My husband would like to know where he can get coffee during the day. Is it served all day in the Lido or will he have to go to the specialty coffee place?

4. Are the curtains in the SY suite blackout? We all rise with the sun, which I really do not want to do in Alaska ;). Should we plan on bringing garbage bags, painters tape and clothespins?

5. Do the midship elevators have glass doors? Do they go to all floors?

6. I'm debating buying a wine package or just buying wine in Vancouver and paying corkage. Is it cost-prohibitive to buy wine in Vancouver? Are taxes outrageous/exchange rate? I'm considering the cellar master package because the wine tastings and pinnacle were on my to do list already.

7. Don't laugh or flame..but my husband wants to know what there is to do on board. We are in our early 40's. He always feels a bit trapped on sea days. He is the kind of guy who has a hard time relaxing. The activities I'm aware of now are the movie theater, mixology classes, cooking classes, wine tastings, trivia. Anything else he might like??

8. I was going to have my kids wear khakis in the MDR, but after reading about how casual it is... would jeans and polos be ok for them? They have tuxes for formal night.

Thank you all in advance. :)

Edited by brookeinmn

I disembarked the Oosterdam, after 4 weeks on board, just over a month ago. I can answer some of your questions.

1.) I never carry a purse during the daytime, but always do at night---just to complete the outfit. During the day I just carry my cabin key, and I tuck it in my bra. It's amazing, and so freeing!, how little you really have to carry.

3.) Coffee, tea, hot chocolate are available in the Lido 24/7 (there may be some closed hours during initial code orange), and are also available from room service. Explorations Café has various drinks for a fee when they are open.

5.) There are six mid-ship elevators: two in the center of the ship, and two glass elevators on each side. The glass elevators give a gorgeous view from Promenade Deck up to one below Lido Deck.

The only elevators that reach to Observation Deck are those forward, which are also the only ones down to the infirmary. Otherwise, all the elevators go to every deck.

7.) There are plenty of activities, which will be listed in the daily program. But you'll be in Alaska. The best activity is to sit outside and watch the scenery.

8.) Your son can wear clean, neat jeans and a polo. He will also look very nice in khakis, too.

Edited by RuthC

I have a few random questions that I haven't been able to find an answer for yet. We are on the Oosterdam.

1. Ladies...do you carry a purse on board? I can't decide what I want to do here. I wear a lot of dresses, so I won't always have a pocket for my key card. What have you found to be most convenient? Lanyard, purse..nothing?? No, I just carry my card around in my hand, or pocket if I have one.

2. Does HAL have cholula or picante sauce in the MDR or Lido for breakfast? No, but you could bring your own.

3. My husband would like to know where he can get coffee during the day. Is it served all day in the Lido or will he have to go to the specialty coffee place? Coffee is served all day in the Lido

4. Are the curtains in the SY suite blackout? We all rise with the sun, which I really do not want to do in Alaska ;). Should we plan on bringing garbage bags, painters tape and clothespins? No, but they block out the sun very well. No to the garbage bags, painters tape and clothespins.

5. Do the midship elevators have glass doors? No Do they go to all floors? Yes

6. I'm debating buying a wine package or just buying wine in Vancouver and paying corkage. Is it cost-prohibitive to buy wine in Vancouver? Don't know Are taxes outrageous/exchange rate? Don't know I'm considering the cellar master package because the wine tastings and pinnacle were on my to do list already.

7. Don't laugh or flame..but my husband wants to know what there is to do on board. We are in our early 40's. He always feels a bit trapped on sea days. He is the kind of guy who has a hard time relaxing. The activities I'm aware of now are the movie theater, mixology classes, cooking classes, wine tastings, trivia. Anything else he might like?? Probably not. Some times they have golf putting. If your doing Alaska, there are many lectures you both might want to go to.

8. I was going to have my kids wear khakis in the MDR, but after reading about how casual it is... would jeans and polos be ok for them? They have tuxes for formal night. That would be fine on nights that are not formal.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

I will only address your first question as it has been almost 4 years since I was last on the "O"....which was a wonderful cruise and a wonderful ship.

Don't carry a purse. I have normally put my room key in my pocket or carried it in my hand along with my cellphone/camera (I tend to take more pics with my phone than my camera) or I have made sure I was with my DH who always seemed to have pockets. I have also used a lanyard but for some reason it bothered me having something dangling around my neck. When I was leaving the ship, I always had a bag where I carried water and my room key but it was not my purse.

Enjoy your cruise!

1. Ladies...do you carry a purse on board? I can't decide what I want to do here. I wear a lot of dresses, so I won't always have a pocket for my key card. What have you found to be most convenient? Lanyard, purse..nothing??

I use a lanyard for my ship card most of the time. During the day on board I carry a small cotton flat tote with my book, water bottle, maybe a hat etc. To dinner in the MDR I use a very compact purse on a shoulder cord so I can hang it over the chair back and not have to worry about it sliding off my lap or getting tangled on the floor tripping people. I carry in it: my ship card, maybe my small, pocket sized camera, maybe a chap stick and small hankie.

I'm from New Mexico where chile and picante are part of all meals! but never saw it on HAL except on their pool area tacos etc buffet. But you may ask and get it that way.

3. My husband would like to know where he can get coffee during the day. Is it served all day in the Lido or will he have to go to the specialty coffee place? Free coffee is available all day in the buffet or through room service.

4. Are the curtains in the SY suite blackout? We all rise with the sun, which I really do not want to do in Alaska ;). Should we plan on bringing garbage bags, painters tape and clothespins?

Have no clue about the suites but I use an eye shade :) Much smaller and neater than garbage bags....

They are in a shaft that has glass windows for the upper floors, but no glass doors. The are 2 or 3 lower floors of the elevator shaft are not glass but are decorated to look a bit undersea, cute.

6. I'm debating buying a wine package or just buying wine in Vancouver and paying corkage. Is it cost-prohibitive to buy wine in Vancouver? Are taxes outrageous/exchange rate? I'm considering the cellar master package because the wine tastings and pinnacle were on my to do list already.

Can't help you here.

7. Don't laugh or flame..but my husband wants to know what there is to do on board. We are in our early 40's. He always feels a bit trapped on sea days. He is the kind of guy who has a hard time relaxing. The activities I'm aware of now are the movie theater, mixology classes, cooking classes, wine tastings, trivia. Anything else he might like??

I don't know what he might like.... but I like most of the lectures, reading in a deck chair, doing a bit of exercising, especially afternoon trivia, many play cards or other games, my DH gets caught up in the jigsaw puzzles plus he brings DVD courses on long cruises, or you can check out DVDs form the extensive library (no charges yet)... plus a swim or a hot tub soak, maybe join in or watch some of the deck games, oh and it must be about time to eat again!

8. I was going to have my kids wear khakis in the MDR, but after reading about how casual it is... would jeans and polos be ok for them? They have tuxes for formal night.

I don't know their ages but our grandkids (then 9-15) wore pants that were not jeans in Alaska except for maybe one casual jeans night and nobody said anything to them; they looked neat, were with us and they were well behaved which always goes a long way. They dressed up for formal nights. I'd try to pack light, pack light and pack light. Don't make it more complicated than you have to, it is a vacation.

Have a grand time! I think Oosterdam is such an elegant ship! m--

I always carry a small purse. I want my reading glasses, key card, a tissue, small note pad and pen to write a note or mark down someone's e -mail address etc. During the day, a wristlet works great for me. I use a small evening clutch at night.

I always bring plastic clips to keep the curtains closed if I find they don't meet and stay completely closed.

The glass elevators have metal, beautifully carved doors to enter/exit but the three walls of those elevators are glass. The views while riding up and down are beautiful especially at sea.

As mentioned above, neat, pressed jeans with a polo will be fine for the children. Khakis would be a good choice if that is what you wish for them to wear.

Thank you all so much. This is very helpful. I have read dozens and dozens of posts here and you all have helped me so much already. I think I will pack khakis for the boys and just have them wear jeans if it's laundry day. It's so rare that we get to dress up these days. I have an elevator phobia..so knowing I can take one with glass walls really helps. Thanks again everyone.

I carry a small purse on board.. In it I have tissues, reading glasses & sun glasses, pad w/pen & carry my key card attached to the shoulder strap on a retractable badge reel.. The front desk punches my key card for me.. You can purchase the badge reels at Amazon- http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=carabiner+badge+reels&tag=googhydr-20&index=office-products&hvadid=29593342435&hvpos=2t4&hvexid=&hvnetw=s&hvrand=5047344470464731927&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_1a7gvwxnf_b

or Staples.. When in Port I put my key card in the purse & also carry a HAL shopping bag with the purse in it..

Don't know

3. My husband would like to know where he can get coffee during the day. Is it served all day in the Lido or will he have to go to the specialty coffee place?

Your DH can get coffee 24 hrs. a day in the Lido & you can purchase speciality coffee's in the Explorers Lounge..

Curtains are blackout & you can clip them together

5. Do the midship elevators have glass doors? NO Do they go to all floors? Yes

We purchase the wine packages

7. Don't laugh or flame..but my husband wants to know what there is to do on board. We are in our early 40's. He always feels a bit trapped on sea days. He is the kind of guy who has a hard time relaxing. The activities I'm aware of now are the movie theater, mixology classes, cooking classes, wine tastings, trivia. Anything else he might like?? We normally read on the Promenade Deck.. DH likes to go to afternoon tea.. HAL has lectures on board & computer classes.. Shuffleboard & other games on the pool deck..

8. I was going to have my kids wear khakis in the MDR, but after reading about how casual it is... would jeans and polos be ok for them? They have tuxes for formal night. Jeans & polo's or Khakis are fine for your kids as long as they are neat & clean

Hope you all enjoy your cruise..

Edited by serendipity1499

Like Sail, I carry a small purse with a long cord (actually sort of an evening purse, but it was the only one I could find that fit the bill). It has an outer flap where I keep my key card and a couple of bucks in case I want to tip a bartender and enough room inside for tissues, pad, pen, lipstick, etc. It is so light, I never know I have it on. Plus, it's something to put on a table in the Lido to hold the table while I get my breakfast. ;)

The purse thing depends whether you are happy to have nothing with you.

I always carry a lipgloss and tissues and eye drops (the AC dries my eyes out) so I have a very small shoulder bag. I wouldn't want to have to carry a bag but the shoulder bag is small and light and easy.

I try not to us the elevators. It's my forced exercise. :D

Thank you all so much. This is very helpful. I have read dozens and dozens of posts here and you all have helped me so much already. I think I will pack khakis for the boys and just have them wear jeans if it's laundry day. It's so rare that we get to dress up these days. I have an elevator phobia..so knowing I can take one with glass walls really helps. Thanks again everyone.

I don't like hights, so I really don't do well looking our of the glass elevators, so I just face the metal doors. That works for me.

I don't like having to carry a purse. I found a small pouch that snaps around a bra strap and I love it. These can be found in the stores that specialize in travel and luggage. It will hold my key card and my folded daily activity program when I'm on the ship and when I am off the ship it holds my key card, picture id, a few dollars for tips, and credit card. I also put a couple of safety pins on it so that if I dont want to reach into my bra when I am shopping, I can pin it on the inside of the waistband of my pants.

Re. cholula or picante sauce in the MDR or Lido for breakfast:

Would Tabasco Sauce do? I think I have seen that around. They also have sambal oelek:

ASH107.jpg

There are various condiments; ask if you don't see anything, they would be happy to bring it to you if it is somewhere onboard. A friend asked for sambal in the MDR the first night and they were tickled pink; they almost handed it to him when he walked in on other nights. :)

Edited by Boytjie

On my HAL cruises the past few years they always have a variety of hot sauces in the Lido at least for breakfast. They are on a small tray near the seating area. I know this because my husband uses some of them for his breakfast omelets. I am not sure of the brands nor specific sauces on the tray. Of course I do not know how consistent this is between ships and cruises.

Purse - I NEVER carry one onboard - one of the things I really enjoy about cruising. Daytimes I always have a pocket (a requirement for my clothes). For the evening I stick it in my bra as someone else said. When going off the ship - well that is a different matter and I take either a purse or usually a small backpack (daypack) for stuff. I either wear the daypack or carry it by the straps.

Would Tabasco Sauce do? I think I have seen that around. They also have sambal oelek:

ASH107.jpg

There are various condiments; ask if you don't see anything, they would be happy to bring it to you if it is somewhere onboard. A friend asked for sambal in the MDR the first night and they were tickled pink; they almost handed it to him when he walked in on other nights. :)

Sambal will most definitely clear up your sinuses :eek:

Most of your questions have already been addressed, except for #6 - wine.

Wine prices in Vancouver are a bit higher than in the States (but that depends on which states you are talking about of course). For your first "free one bottle per person" to consume in your cabin, I would still buy it in Vancouver. There is a good government owned wine/liquor store in Harbore Center, about three blocks from the pier that I use.

As to wine packages, this is highly subjective, depending on your tastes and HAL Star status (3-5 Star Mariners on HAL get discounts). Personally, I think that HAL's house wine (Santa Carolina I think) is fine for dinner - its not great, but certainly drinkable for us with unrefined tastebuds and the price is reasonable.

ASH107.jpg

DH loves his hot sauces. The sambal oelek does the trick during the day time. In the MDR, once they find out he likes sambal, they bring different ones (including the crew's) to see which he likes the best. The hotter the better for him:D

No need for me to pack or buy hot sauces. He is quite content with his sambal:D (he eats chilis at home every day with his lunch and dinner ;))

Just a comment on the wine package.

We bought the Cellar Master Package on our last cruise. I believe it cost a little over $300, but I think prices have gone up since. We were on an 11 day cruise. Check under 'Indulgences' for the current price.

But, for that price, we got 6 bottles of wine (of our choice from a wine list the steward presented to us when we requested a new bottle). We got 2 dinners for 2 in the Pinnacle - it was excellent! We also attended 3 wine tastings (I think they were $15, $25 and $35 if you paid separately). And we got some wine charms to take home.

Hope that helps you decide if it is worth it to you.

Have a great cruise!

I found a great little purse by Baggalini called the Teenee Bag. It has an adjustable strap so you can wear it around your waist, over your shoulder or across your body. This might work out great. Otherwise..the bra it will be.

I try not to us the elevators. It's my forced exercise. :D

Yes, me too. But we are on the 8th deck. Might take awhile to get up all those flights after dinner. ;)

Would Tabasco Sauce do? I think I have seen that around. They also have sambal oelek

I can live without either for a week...but good to know there might be some choices. I have never tried Sambal..might have to do that on board!

I always carry a small tote bag around the ship. I keep my iPad (with my books loaded onto it) or a paperback, my small knitting project, my key card , tissues, etc. and a small shawl in it. The shawl goes on and off all day, as lounges may be warm but I am almost always freezing on the theatre, and it helps me stay comfortable.

Barbara M. In NH

I purchase the little silk bags in the store on board for $1 and use those as my evening purse. Over the years I have acquired many for myself and to 'wrap' little gifts for the daughters, granddaughters, etc. The room key, Kleenex and the after dinner mints fit neatly inside. Love the draw string as slips over a finger to free up my hands when needed. They have many colors and designs so I can match the outfit of the evening, plus they take so little room when packing.