Buying an Australian power bar?

Yes, it's a weird question. I've tried to find a power bar on Amazon that's rated 280V for Australia (we'd use adapter's to charge our stuff from the US, 150V), but there don't seem to be any :confused:. I've even "pretended" to be from Australia, but no luck :(... . We'll only be in Australia for a week between cruise's, but need to charge things during that time.

If you're a "real" Aussie :rolleyes:, I'd appreciate your help!

It really shouldn't be this difficult to use electricity!

Thanks so much,

Yes, it's a weird question. I've tried to find a power bar on Amazon that's rated 280V for Australia (we'd use adapter's to charge our stuff from the US, 150V), but there don't seem to be any :confused:. I've even "pretended" to be from Australia, but no luck :(... . We'll only be in Australia for a week between cruise's, but need to charge things during that time.

If you're a "real" Aussie :rolleyes:, I'd appreciate your help!

It really shouldn't be this difficult to use electricity!

Thanks so much,

I am a "real" Aussie and our ac power supply here is 240 volt not 280. I assume a power bar is what we call a powerboard with mutiple power points. They are available at all large variety/hardware stores, try and get one with surge protection for saftey.

Cheers

Glenn

Edited by LPCRUISER58

Plant, where are you disembarking from your first cruise? Is it Sydney? If so I would be quite happy to give you directions to a suitable store where you can buy a 240v powerboard.

Remember Amazon is a US company and it is unlikely to stock Australian products, other than e-books, even when you are logged in to the Australian region. But I will check for you.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Is there some reason that you can't use a converter with the appropriate adaptor plug? I've done this all through Europe, India, and several South American countries where the power supplying hotels typically is 240 v.

The way I read the original post is a US Citizen wishes to charge their US Voltage appliance whilst in Australia so therefore I would suggest a Travel Plug converter so that when they are in Australia they can plug their US appliance into one of these plugs then plug it into the power socket in their Australian hotel room power point.

These are available at many shops including Duty Free stores, Dick Smith Electronics, Myer & David Jones to name a few.

http://www.dicksmith.com.au/adaptors-power/travel-adaptor-3-pack-dsau-m7310

This is what I used to plug my Aussie charger into the socket in my room on Solstice you just select the plug you need to suit your appliance and the plug in the wall in your room.

Get the multi pack with all combinations so you can use all around the world and when you get home remember to store it with your passport so you remember where you have put it for your next trip.

Edited by dmccue

As I understand it, from another thread Plant initiated last month, they have a number of devices, including phones and Kindles, that they will need to charge. Many hotels only provide one easily accessed power point for guest use. We have started using a travel powerboard with 2 USB ports and 2 regular sockets when travelling. It makes life much easier.

Plant obviously didn't take note of the replies to last month's thread. There were several good recommendations there, and a note on the voltage used in Australia.

Perhaps Plant thought that those of us that replied to the thread last month weren't "real" Aussies :rolleyes:

It really isn't hard to research and figure out travel chargers, especially when advice is given. It only took me a minute or two to find the powerboards on Amazon.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Actually, Plant, if you travel a lot it would be wise to buy a US travel powerboard that is capable of handling international voltages and that also has USB ports. Then you will only need one appropriate adaptor plug to plug in the powerboard in Australia. I think I saw at least one of these multi-function powerboards on Amazon.

If you get a local Aussie powerboard you will need an adaptor plug for each socket that you wish to plug a device into.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Actually, Plant, if you travel a lot it would be wise to buy a US travel powerboard that is capable of handling international voltages and that also has USB ports. Then you will only need one appropriate adaptor plug to plug in the powerboard in Australia. I think I saw at least one of these multi-function powerboards on Amazon.

If you get a local Aussie powerboard you will need an adaptor plug for each socket that you wish to plug a device into.

That is very good advice. :)

That is very good advice. :)

It comes from experience. We were travelling in Ireland and the UK for seven weeks last year. The first hotel we stayed at didn't have one single easily accessible powerpoint for guest use, so we bought a local powerboard and unplugged the TV. We were able use our adaptors on the local powerboard which was good but after a while I thought "why not use an Aussie powerboard that fits all our devices and just carry one adaptor".

I found this one at Bunnings http://www.bunnings.com.au/mort-bay-powerboard-surgeprot-2way-2usb-prt-wndup-cord_p4331031. We used it in India earlier this year and it was brilliant, especially in one hotel which had very weird power sockets, even though it was a newly-built hotel. The powerboard plugged into the one socket that worked and gave enough extra length so that hubby could use his laptop at the desk comfortably. That part of the trip was business for him so essential that he could work when he wasn't at meetings.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

It comes from experience. We were travelling in Ireland and the UK for seven weeks last year. The first hotel we stayed at didn't have one single easily accessible powerpoint for guest use, so we bought a local powerboard and unplugged the TV. We were able use our adaptors on the local powerboard which was good but after a while I thought "why not use an Aussie powerboard that fits all our devices and just carry one adaptor".

I found this one at Bunnings http://www.bunnings.com.au/mort-bay-powerboard-surgeprot-2way-2usb-prt-wndup-cord_p4331031. We used it in India earlier this year and it was brilliant, especially in one hotel which had very weird power sockets, even though it was a newly-built hotel. The powerboard plugged into the one socket that worked and gave enough extra length so that hubby could use his laptop at the desk comfortably. That part of the trip was business for him so essential that he could work when he wasn't at meetings.

We bought the one with 4 USB ports - same price - only way to go now.

Plus it is far easier to buy international plugs eg: we bought an item from America - with an American plug - looked at it and thought "smart - what do we do now?" - a trip to Office works fixed that - they had the American to Aus on the shelf.

We bought the one with 4 USB ports - same price - only way to go now.

Plus it is far easier to buy international plugs eg: we bought an item from America - with an American plug - looked at it and thought "smart - what do we do now?" - a trip to Office works fixed that - they had the American to Aus on the shelf.

I haven't seen one with 4 USB ports. Does it also have regular sockets?

I have three devices that charge from USB (Kindle, phone and MP3) plus two that need regular sockets (camera battery charger and laptop if I'm travelling with it), so the 2 USB 2 Socket one works really well for me. I have a nifty little phone charger that I often carry as well as it's useful on planes. It can charge both my phone and my Kindle.

Until I got my new camera I used to be able to get away with a dual port international USB charger, plus an adaptor for my laptop. New camera came with a custom battery (the old one just used AA's), and takes about 1/4 the photos on one charge, so I'm always having to charge a camera battery. :mad:

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

I use this for international travel with the appropriate adapter.http://www.amazon.com/Monster-MP-OTG400-BK-Outlets/dp/B000F9YN2M/ref=pd_sim_e_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=06M2EBAYT2PPDDXV22EH

Also take a Belkin travel surge protector with two USB outlets and a few sockets--again needs an adapter.

Edited by Alaskanb

As I understand it, from another thread Plant initiated last month, they have a number of devices, including phones and Kindles, that they will need to charge. Many hotels only provide one easily accessed power point for guest use. We have started using a travel powerboard with 2 USB ports and 2 regular sockets when travelling. It makes life much easier.

Plant obviously didn't take note of the replies to last month's thread. There were several good recommendations there, and a note on the voltage used in Australia.

Perhaps Plant thought that those of us that replied to the thread last month weren't "real" Aussies :rolleyes:

It really isn't hard to research and figure out travel chargers, especially when advice is given. It only took me a minute or two to find the powerboards on Amazon.

I'm sorry that you felt that I wasn't paying attention to the "Real Aussies":(. I asked the questions on several board's and had many (many!) answer's!

Some of us live a sheltered life. We have no idea that our electronic device's won't work in another area, country, community... .

To me, the answer's I get from "any" place I'm not familiar with are like "gold" :)! ,

I'm looking forward to our Australia/New Zealand cruise and appreciate any advice and/or opinions.

If YOU come to the US and Arkansas, we'll be more than happy to greet you!

Some of that info you got must have been really weird if you were looking for 280v power bars instead of 240v power boards :D

Isn't it weird how half the world uses 110v and the rest use 240v?

Most modern devices like phones and kindles are designed to work worldwide, that why most of them use USB chargers. The only devices you have to worry about are things like hair dryers and styling wands, immersion heaters for cups of tea/coffee etc. Anything that draws a lot of power. These need to be capable of coping with 240v instead of 110v.

There has been some very good advice given on this thread so you should be able to solve your power issues without much trouble.

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time down under. Let us know if you need any more advice but may I suggest you make your opening posts so they read a little less sarcastic?

I haven't seen one with 4 USB ports. Does it also have regular sockets?

My apologies, I have misled you - sort of :o We have the power board with 2 USB ports - and we bought a single socket adaptor with 4 USB ports - so when that it is plugged into the powerboard - we have the same number of plug sockets - but with 6 USB ports

Hope that makes sense ;)

My apologies, I have misled you - sort of :o We have the power board with 2 USB ports - and we bought a single socket adaptor with 4 USB ports - so when that it is plugged into the powerboard - we have the same number of plug sockets - but with 6 USB ports

Hope that makes sense ;)

Perfect sense. We have a couple of 2 port USB adaptors which we used to use pre stupid custom camera battery days. DH usually takes that so we have more than two USB ports if needed.