RCL Insurance

I am confused - looking at a cruise for 10/15. So, quite a time from now. Anyway I can get a better price with a TA- but they referred me to a travel co and if I book the insurance now it is about $500 - non refundable. If I go thru RCL direct - the cost of the insurance is completely refundable and the cruise if I cancel prior to the last payments. Is the ins you get thru a travel company that much better?? I am really confused and we could easily change our mind before that but would loose the money for the insurance?? What do most of you do Thanks

Edited by Host Jacquelyn
removed Costco reference

One difference betwee Royal's insurance and others is that you are really not insured with Royal's until you pay for it. In other words, if you pay for non-refundable arfare, and you have to cancel before cruise final payment for a covered reason, Royal's insurance won't cover the air. You have to specifically ask to pay for Royal's insurance when you book it, else it is not in force. Note that once you pay, Royal's insurance is also not refundable.

Edited by clarea

I always get Allianz insurance so it covers air and cruise. It is non refundable after 14 day, but my mom has pre existing conditions o I have to purchase it within 14 day of my deposit. If you don't have pre existing conditions then

You can wait to purchase your insurance until just before final payment. That is what my brother does

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The cost of the insurance is somewhat based on the price of your vacation and if you want add-ons like pre-existing condition or cancel for any reason.

Go to insuremytrip and compare/price the policies. Some will allow you to purchase within 24 hours of final payment and get the pre-existing condition waiver.

Read the terms and conditions before you purchase so you know exactly what you are getting in terms of coverage.

One difference betwee Royal's insurance and others is that you are really not insured with Royal's until you pay for it. In other words, if you pay for non-refundable arfare, and you have to cancel before cruise final payment for a covered reason, Royal's insurance won't cover the air. You have to specifically ask to pay for Royal's insurance when you book it, else it is not in force. Note that once you pay, Royal's insurance is also not refundable.

So when you give RCCL your deposit you can ask to pay for the insurance at that time? Doing this I assume would also help with the pre existing conditions time frame?

Thanks

So when you give RCCL your deposit you can ask to pay for the insurance at that time? Doing this I assume would also help with the pre existing conditions time frame?

Thanks

I don't know how Royal's insurance handles pre-existing conditions, but if you want coverage to start, you must specifically ask them to charge you for insurance when you make your deposit.

Usually the so-called 3rd party policies are less expensive and higher coverages than the Cruiseline's policy, especially the younger you are. You have to look at price AND the coverages to compare.

The Medical coverage for the Cruiseline policy is very low and the MedEvac coverage is barely adequate (IMO) - the 3rd party policies are usually much higher.

Most 3rd party policies include "waiver of pre-existing conditions" if you purchase w/in 14- 21 days of booking - IMO you should be considering this. The cruiseline policy does not offer "waiver of pre-existing conditions" no matter when you purchase (but they do INCLUDE a "cancel for any reason" coverage albeit a 75% future cruise CREDIT).

I believe ALL of the policies ofer a 10-day review with refund if you're not satisfied. I don't see anything specified in the Cruiseline policy about refund if you pay for the policy at booking but cancel before final payment - but I have heard of same happening - I'd call the CruiseCare (not the RCL) 800 number and ask about this. I've also heard of the cruiseling letting you carry-over your insurance to a later cruise if you re-schedule your cruise.

You may want to checkout the CSA Trip Insurance Policies which allow you to purchase the policy at Final Payment and still get that "waiver of pre-existing conditions" as well as a very good policy.

ken

ken

Thanks

A downside of the Cruiseline Policy is that it does NOT include "Waiver of pre-existing conditions" no matter when you pay for it. You're stuck with a 60-day lookback window from the day you pay for the policy. If any "new" condition occurs during that window, your cruiseline policy will not cover it.

Be aware that a condition is not pre-existing if it was "under control" with no change in Rx or treatment during that 60 days (the exact wording is in the Policy). If you had high blood pressure a year prior, and it was being treated with medication and no change in Rx or hospitalization, etc., during the 60 day lookback, it's not a pre-existing condition.

Again, most of the 3rd party policies include the "Waiver of pre-exisitng conditions" if you purchase the Policy within 14-21 days of booking (with CSA youcan purchase Policy including the Waiver up to Final Payment).

ken

Edited by Ken076

Your 60-day lookback window for pre-existing conditions begins the day you actually pay for the Policy.

Be aware that a condition is not pre-existing if it was "under control" with no change in Rx or treatment during that 60 days (the exact wording is in the Policy). If you had high blood pressure a year prior, and it was being treated with medication and no change in Rx or hospitalization, etc., during the 60 day lookback, it's not a pre-existing condition.

ken

This is great to know.

Thank you, Ken.

Well - the insurance is travelguard - and when I went on to insuremytrip the most expensive was $509 - I was fine with $425 but this additional $287 just bugs me as I added no additional cost to it. And the cruise line insurance was about $225 - so really trying to figure out the best choice as I am close to the 21 day window. I guess I really like the option of being able to change or cancel a cruise (up to final payment) if I want and do not like the thought also of loosing $700.

Well - the insurance is travelguard - and when I went on to insuremytrip the most expensive was $509 - I was fine with $425 but this additional $287 just bugs me as I added no additional cost to it. And the cruise line insurance was about $225 - so really trying to figure out the best choice as I am close to the 21 day window. I guess I really like the option of being able to change or cancel a cruise (up to final payment) if I want and do not like the thought also of loosing $700.

Travelguard has several policies. There is an option to compare various policies next to each other, and you should do that to see what is changing the price. (on insuremytrip.com)

Cruiseline insurance is based on the amount of your trip and I don't think it considers age so sometimes people do better with that, but you have to make sure it covers your air outside of Royal and be careful of preexisting conditions.

We can't give advice based on a random assortment of prices you are posting.

btw you say you are 'fine' with $425, but I don't think you even know what it covers. Otherwise, you would have an idea of why other policies cost more or less.

Edited by marci22

First, please stop mentioning your big box grocery and paper store by name...they ARE functioning as a travel agent...and we can't name them here on CC.

Second, be sure you are comparing apples to apples. Travel Guard, travelex, CSA, etc etc etc all have an array of policies...unless you are comparing the EXACT SAME ONE, and using the same figures and ages, you will not get the correct info...

TravelGuard has gold, silver, etc so look at those..also look at the provider's site too. try insuremytrip.com or squaremouth.com or any of the others... THEN go to the individual company's site..

Non-cruise insurance is based on age and place of residency so perhaps your TA didn't use the correct age..?? Not sure, but it sounds like you're not comparing the exact same policies at Travel Guard or where ever you are looking...

luvsvacations -

Those premiums you're quoting seem a bit high, but we don't know any details. 3rd party insurance becomes more expensive as your age approaches 70 and of course for for those traveling in suites and such. If there are children traveling, you want to look at the policies that include children free with insured adult. If you don't mind sharing:

Where is the cruise going?

What are the 4 ages of your group?

What is the cost of Cruisefare (don't include Govt Fees and Taxes and pre-paid gratuities) and airfate per person?

What are the begin and end dates?

Is one of your party a member of USAA?

Have you checked your Healthcare (other than Medicare) for specific out of country coverage? Does the credit card you used have (usually minimal) Trip Cancellation/Interruption and Baggage loss/delay coverage?

thanks,

Ken

Edited by Ken076

luvsvacations -

The 14-21 day number mentioned several places above is the overall range of days for all policies; some insurers are 14 days, some insurers are 21 days. If you're over 14 days since booking, you'll be limited to those insurers with a 21 day delay.

If you do nothing else, checkout CSA 'Luxe plan which can be purchased as late as Final payment to include "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions. This is a far better plan than the cruiseline's but may be a bit pricey - the less expensive CSA Custom plan doesn't include the Waiver.

ken

Great ideas - will look into this. Ages are 79, 57, 55 and 23. Just cruise cost is approx $700 PP with $260 for air fare. The dates we will be gone is Dec 2-12. I used Amer Express - so I can also check with them. I believe on the quote I used $1050 per person.

One more thing: many travelers don't have pre-ex worries, but their non-traveling parents, sibs or other loved ones do. Not all pre-ex waivers cover non-travelers! So ask yourself, if your non-traveling loved one's cancer or other progressive disease took an unexpected turn causing death just before your sail date, would your cruise cancelation be covered?

Choosing the right policy for you is all about your personal risk analysis. Make a list of things that could cause you to cancel or need special help with along the way (evac, medical care, etc.) and put them in order of most likely to occur down to least likely. If #1 is work, then you are probably better off with the cruiseline plan's "cancel and do it another time" option vs. a third-party policy with an expensive "cancel for any reason" rider that pays an average 70%. Otherwise, if your #1 is a traditional risk like illness or death, then use insuremytrip to find the policy that represents the best compromise between covering your highest risks and paying a premium that's reasonable relative to the financial impact of the non-refundable trip advances you'd lose or extra costs you'd incur (because all things considered, you may choose to go bare on a bargain Carib for two with low likelihood of a $ evac event vs. a premium-priced multi-cabin sailing for the whole family or an international cruise involving a myriad of flights, private tours, pre- and post-land, etc.).

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I see $293/$300/$380/$509 for Travelguard policies on insuremytrip (using your details. I entered 6 and 8 days for travel IIRC, and both yielded the same price quotes).

Click on boxfor each plan: "compare plan", and you will be able to see which plan suits you best. Now, when you get quotes from other places, you can have a valid comparison.

If you want the option to change a cruise without losing your insurance payment, just wait until you are sure. You can get pre existing condition waiver up until 24 hours before for some plans (such as CSA Luxe). If you don't need preexisting waiver, you can purchase many plans, some even after final payment. (Note* you may want to purchase a policy as soon as you purchase any non-refundable airfare).

As a ballpark figure, expect to pay about 10% of your trip cost for insurance. Some will be more, some less, depending on the exact parameters you choose.

Edited by marci22

Thanks

That's a big thing with the Royal Caribbean insurance. Doesn't matter when you pay for it. Preexisting conditions are not waived as with others

Edited by SeaUs

Some are confusing what pre existing conditions are. They are all different but read something like this. Pre existing conditions mean that you have been to the doctor for a condition or sickness and or had you medication changed in the last 60 days.

I read that as being as long as you have not been to the doctor in the last 60 days, you do not have a pre existing condition.

That's a big thing with the Royal Caribbean insurance. Doesn't matter when you pay for it. Preexisting conditions are not waived as with others

But there is a 60 day look back. A lot of other plans have a 180 day look back.

It does matter when you pay for it, because paying for it starts the look back period. Once you are past 60 days with no changes in your treatment/condition, you should be ok.

Some are confusing what pre existing conditions are. They are all different but read something like this. Pre existing conditions mean that you have been to the doctor for a condition or sickness and or had you medication changed in the last 60 days.

I read that as being as long as you have not been to the doctor in the last 60 days, you do not have a pre existing condition.

You can go to the doctor for regular care. If your condition/treatment has not changed in that time period, you should be ok.

I see $575 (split 4 ways that's not too bad) for CSA 'Luxe which includes "Waiver of Pre-Existing conditions if purchased upt to Final Payment - so that would work for you. If you don't want the Waiver (I don't recommend this) you could get CSA '

Custom for $346.

The age 79 is the killer - the 3rd party policies really escalate in price above age 70 or so. Again, I don't recommend but you could insure age 79 with Cruiseline and the other three with a much less expensive 3rd party policy.

ken