Buying a Watch in the Caribbean

We bought some Philip Stein Watches at a Diamond International a number of years ago. At the time (no pun intended), they were very hard to find in the US. Like any other purchase you plan, make sure you do your homework and compare prices from home.

Saw some Philip Stein's in Costco yesterday

http://www.costco.com/all-watches.html?refine=30214%2b13709

Know what you want and know the prices, if price matters to you.

Otherwise, lots of good selection out there.

Grand Cayman may have had the coolest selections.

I want the extreme men's watch but I'm not a member

:-(

:-(

Just bought one in St Maarten and got a very good deal. Bought one in St Thomas years ago and got a good deal their too. The key is to wait till the end of the day. They are more willing to deal then.

Has anyone bought a watch recently in one of the Caribbean recently? Will be heading to Aruba, St. Lucia, St. Thomas. I

I agree with everyone else who says RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH before you go.

Of those three ports, your best bet is, by far, St. Thomas.

A.H.Riise is often a good place to shop.

http://www.ahriise.com/AHRSpecialtyBoutiques.html

I have purchased 2 Romain Jerome watches at Diamonds International over the ears. It was at the location on Main Street, down town location, in St Thomas. I dealt with the watch sales manager. They were great to work with, they did move some on price and even got me an extra band for one watch as it was slightly scuffed prior to my purchase of it. They even couriered the band to Canada.

The biggest thing is research the watchs in advance. The type you want, the price at home, exchanges rates if applicable as well as credit card rates. I am sure that there are people out there that have bought spontaneously, only to discover when they get home that they made a bad purchase. The one watch I researched for close to a year before I purchased it, and bought it on my second cruise that year to St Thomas.

Good luck and have fun. Just don't fall to the pressure that some sales staff might try to use. When the ship leaves, so does your money, so they should work with you as they do need to make sales.

We bought some Philip Stein Watches at a Diamond International a number of years ago. At the time (no pun intended), they were very hard to find in the US. Like any other purchase you plan, make sure you do your homework and compare prices from home.

I also bought a Philip Stein Watch at a Diamond International many years ago. I thought it was a good price for a Philip Stein.

I bought an Eco Drive watch for DW in St. Lucia a few years ago. It's the real thing and I got a good price on it.

However, the credit card I used to make the purchase was charged for a hair transplant operation in London the week after ($6,000+). I've never been to London nor do I need a hair transplant operation.

Can't remember the name of the store but it was one near the docks. It wasn't any of the big ones. I didn't use my credit card for anything else on the island.

Be aware.

Edited by Aviator of the Seas

Do a little research, the biggest thing I found is that don't always have the newest watches, sometimes they try to sell last years model for this years prices. But who cares a new Rolex or a old Rolex, it's still a Rolex!!!!

:p

I recommend Ajanta's in St. Thomas, Drakes Passage. They will stand behind there products. We have been buying jewelry from them for years. My brother bought a watch from them several years ago and it was no longer working properly. No one local would fix it. The last time they were in St. Thomas they stopped in Ajantas and they had someone fix it and mailed it back to them with no charge.

And if you are not sure if you are getting their best price then start walking toward the door to leave. If they can do better for you then you will know before you get to the sidewalk.

I would still leave and check out the prices in nearby stores. Last year, the guy dropped the price while talking to me, then called me back and dropped it again as I was walking out. I still ended up getting it for less at another store.