American just back from Fantasia

Becci

Though I haven't time yet to post a full review I would like to answer any questions you might have about the ship or ports of call. We had a fantastic time and wish others a great experience on this beautiful ship. Let me know if I can help with anything. :)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Though I haven't time yet to post a full review I would like to answer any questions you might have about the ship or ports of call. We had a fantastic time and wish others a great experience on this beautiful ship. Let me know if I can help with anything. :)

Hi, do you remember the opening hours of the spa?

Hi Becci, just wondering if MSC had any shuttles in the ports, giving transportation into the towns and back, at all ?

Thanks

Norwegian Cruiser- Fantasia is a beautiful ship. I can see why she would be your favorite!

All the ports were great for different reasons. I am a big fan of a port intensive intinerary and this one really kept us busy for sure!

Bra_BE2014- So Sorry! I can't answer this one. I didn't visit the spa while on board. I know that they did have some good sales throughout the week though.

WA Girl- There were shuttles i believe in all the ports to take you to the touristy parts of town. Except for possibly Santorini where you would take the cable car instead. The shuttles were between 5-10 euro pp. this is one thing that i think MSC could do better on. Carnival has shore talks with maps where the cruise director tells you what there is to see on your own and how to get there if you choose not to do an excursion. MSC has shuttles and maps that they show you (not printed where you can take with you) but very little info.

We took the shuttles in both Corfu and Bari to do some shopping and stretch our legs.

Bra_BE2014- So Sorry! I can't answer this one. I didn't visit the spa while on board. I know that they did have some good sales throughout the week though.

WA Girl- There were shuttles i believe in all the ports to take you to the touristy parts of town. Except for possibly Santorini where you would take the cable car instead. The shuttles were between 5-10 euro pp. this is one thing that i think MSC could do better on. Carnival has shore talks with maps where the cruise director tells you what there is to see on your own and how to get there if you choose not to do an excursion. MSC has shuttles and maps that they show you (not printed where you can take with you) but very little info.

We took the shuttles in both Corfu and Bari to do some shopping and stretch our legs.

No worries! It's just that with a port every day I was hoping it would be open until very late otherwise I won't have a chance to use it :D

Thanks Becci, for the information on the shuttles.

Was Corfu a easy town to walk around and explore on your own ?

Also did you do any other excursions while in the ports ?

Thanks again

WA girl- Corfu was very easy to get around. The shuttle took us to old town. There is a fortress on top of the hill for some sightseeing. It was a bit of a climb to the top but the views from up there were really pretty. There is a little cafe on site with free wifi. Across from the entrance to the fortress is blocks and blocks of shopping. We spent a few hours looking around and them caught to shuttle back to the ship.

Excursions are one of the things I thought MSC did really good with. We went to Ancient Olympia in Katakalon. The bus took us to the excavation site which is still a working site by the way. Our guide spoke both English and French as the two languages were grouped together. After the ruins we went to a restaurant for traditional Greek food and folk dancing. I wasn't expecting this part of the trip. I guess I focused on the ruins part and didn't realize there was more to it. It was so much fun though! They had a dance troupe that did a show then invited us up to dance with them.

In santorini we had planned to see the ruins at Akrotiri but it was cancelled due to lack of interest. So instead we booked an excursion to a black sand beach to swim in the caldera. The black sand was so pretty but so hot on our feet. The water was cold though so we were happy! Across from the beach we had a gyro at the restaurant were the bus picked us up. After that the bus took us to the top of the island overlooking the ship below to the town on Fira. We got some beautiful pictures and more shopping at we climbed up to the cable car. The line for the cable car was terrible by te way. We waited for at least two hours to get down the hill. The only alternative is by foot or by donkey though so we waited.

In Piraeus we took an excursion to the Acropolis. The bus picked us up and took us to the ruins. We were there very early and beat the crowd which was nice. However, we had the worst guide I've ever had in all my travels. Seriously, the worst! She spoke English quite well but the only bit of history she had to tell us was that the Olympics had been held in Athens in 2004. She must have told us this 20 times. When we got to the site her group left her standing there talking and we all found each other later at the bottom of the hill. I don't see how she didn't know she was losing everyone. A better guide would have noticed. Aside from the guide the Acropolis was truly breath taking. It is even bigger than I had pictured it to be. Also the views from the Acropolis of Athens are endless! We went next to the Acropolis Museum where they had some really cool artifacts,some with paint still attached. The actual Caryatids are in the museum not at the ruins. The ones there are replicas. The bus took us around Athens and back to the ship. Athens is like a giant anthill in that it's so crowded and busy. I thought Chicago was hard to drive in! Lol

Our last excursion was St Jacobs beach in Dubrovnik. We were taken by boat to the Old City harbor and allowed nearly an hour to look around the medieval city. It was just like a fairy tale place you could imagine from a story book. Very cool! Then we got back on the boat and went to the beach. It was a pebble beach and was situated so that you look directly at the Old City. My favorite pictures were from there. The beach had rest rooms, a small place for food and free wifi. It was a great way to end our vacation!

Thanks for all the information. We are on the July 13 sailing. We are still debating about what to do in Santorini. Do you reacll what timethe last tenders were back to the ship. We are debating about a sailing charter and not sure we would be back in time.

We were thinking of doing the St Jacobs tour as well. I am so glad you enjoyed it. How long did you send on the beach?

Our family is sailing on July 20th. we have booked all excursions to every port from MSC.

Mine too, We believe the money you save with DYI excursions doesn't pay the piece of mind of knowing the ship will wait for you, no matter what! :D

No worries! It's just that with a port every day I was hoping it would be open until very late otherwise I won't have a chance to use it :D

I was on Preziosa in May. The spa opening times were 9:00-21:00. I would imagine they'd be similar on Fantasia.

Always check the daily program as times can vary.

We'd like a little input into how you traveled to Europe!

Did you travel with MSC, or on your own! If so, how were the prices?

We think traveling with MSC the best idea as they will wait for you if your flight is late! We waited in Miami for a flight from Europe arriving late that booked through MSC!

That's why we'd also agree with others about booking excursions through MSC also, the extra protection!:)