A question about Alaska land time vs ship time

Mytime2014

I'm confused, easily! I have read threads about making sure your watch is the same as ship time, not the land/port time. Is this an issue in Alaska?

Reading threads on various boards - I know in some places the ship time can be different and one would need to set their watch to coordinate with the ship instead of the locals. Hating to wear a watch - I was wondering if I needed to be aware of a time difference in [Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan or Victoria BC] As much as I do not want to return to normal life after a vacation, it would not be smart to miss it!

TIA,

Debby

I'm confused, easily! I have read threads about making sure your watch is the same as ship time, not the land/port time. Is this an issue in Alaska?

Reading threads on various boards - I know in some places the ship time can be different and one would need to set their watch to coordinate with the ship instead of the locals. Hating to wear a watch - I was wondering if I needed to be aware of a time difference in [Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan or Victoria BC] As much as I do not want to return to normal life after a vacation, it would not be smart to miss it!

TIA,

Debby

Regardless of itinerary, if the time at ports of call differ from the original departure / return port of call as a result of crossing a time zone, the ship time can be different than the local time.

It is the Captain's sole discretion as to what the ship time will be at a port of call. He may choose to remain on the time at the original departure port or change it to the local port time. While he will usually maintain the same schedule each time, this can vary by cruise, so there is no guarantee of which it will be simply based on prior cruises.

But it will not be an issue as if the ship time is different from a given port of call local time there will be an abundance of notification from the change of time on the clocks on board, announcements by the CD or Captain, published notices in the ship's daily news letter in your stateroom, signage at the exit door as you disembark, as well as a reminder by security as you leave including notification of final time to be back on board. It will be virtually impossible not to know the correct ship time to follow.

What is recommended is to take a non smart phone / internet watch that can be set to ship time if different as you disembark to assure you have a way to monitor the correct ship time on shore. (Smart phones typically adjust to local time automatically, which may not be ship time). Also, any ship sponsored tour will be coordinated with ship time so there will be no issue there. Independent tour operators also are aware of this and typically time their pick up and return to assure the right times.

Don't let it concern you - it will not be an issue.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Regardless of itinerary, if the time at ports of call differ from the original departure / return port of call, the ship time can be different than the local time.

Don't let it concern you - it will not be an issue.

This is the best sentence I could hear. We have free time in Sitka after excursion and nothing scheduled in Ketchikan - I could see me shopping/strolling around brainless and forgetting the time.

My friend has cruised 2-3x before and she looked at me like I was bat-shyte crazy when I said something about not having a wristwatch [at all....] and that we needed to make sure one of us had one. She said she had never heard of ship time being different from port time.

On my last cruise, the time automatically changed on the channel showing where we were, ships time, etc.

We were given notices when the clock went backwards.

Why would it stay the same on the ship, and be different on land?

Wouldn't that confuse the excursion people?

Have been on 5 cruises, they've always changed the time as we went west or east.

Edited by Traveller20074

On my last cruise, the time automatically changed on the channel showing where we were, ships time, etc.

Have been on 5 cruises, they've always changed the time as we went west or east.

As stated above, some captains may decide to keep from switching to the local time. I think the only time that happened on any of our cruises was on a Caribbean one. I think for Alaska, there was just one time change from Pacific (we started in Seattle). For our Hawaiian cruises, we had three time changes going and then coming back.

As for excursions, just make sure you contact any company you are booking with and tell them your ship's name so they can double check. Probably not an issue for you. We usually don't do excursions, but when we do, we book through the cruiseline so it's not an issue for us, either way.

I'm puzzled though by the person puzzled about the watch. Wouldn't at least one of you (better, if both of you) wear a watch (or carry a watch in one's pocket)? How else would you know when to be back on board? To me, any inconvenience of having to keep an eye on the time would be better than the inconvenience of missing the ship and having to arrange for travel to the next port (or even having to miss the rest of the cruise if you're not allowed back on board due to the PVSA rules).

There are very few exceptions where the ships time is not the same as the local time. Most cruise lines do adhere with the local time to cut down on any confusion. There is one cruise line that is known not to always follow that in certain places such as the Caribbean.

As mentioned, you will be informed of any changes to the time. This is done either via the Television being left onto a channel when you return to your room with a note to change the time and/or a note in your daily program.

Keith

In our experience the ship has typically stayed on local time as well with the appropriate notifications as indicated, but confirming the local time. As example with the RCI 7-day Bermuda itinerary, the ship time changes to what will be local time in Bermuda at 3:00 AM day two en route to Bermuda and then back again at 3:00 AM day 6 en route back to the US.

However, as an example should the ship maintain ship time v local time as explained to us during a staff reception we attended, if it is a single port of call with the time change with the rest on the itinerary that don't change, the captain may opt to remain on the origination port of call time to maintain a consistent staff and crew schedule for that day.

As mentioned any ship sponsored tours will be coordinated with ship time, whether that is local time or otherwise and abundant notification will be made to assure passenger awareness.

As stated above' date=' some captains may decide to keep from switching to the local time. I think the only time that happened on any of our cruises was on a Caribbean one. I think for Alaska, there was just one time change from Pacific (we started in Seattle). For our Hawaiian cruises, we had three time changes going and then coming back.

As for excursions, just make sure you contact any company you are booking with and tell them your ship's name so they can double check. Probably not an issue for you. We usually don't do excursions, but when we do, we book through the cruiseline so it's not an issue for us, either way.

I'm puzzled though by the person puzzled about the watch. Wouldn't at least one of you (better, if both of you) wear a watch (or carry a watch in one's pocket)? How else would you know when to be back on board? To me, any inconvenience of having to keep an eye on the time would be better than the inconvenience of missing the ship and having to arrange for travel to the next port (or even having to miss the rest of the cruise if you're not allowed back on board due to the PVSA rules).[/quote']

The watch is my issue - after being a nurse for many years and now being at a desk typing, they bug me - can't stand one on my arm. My friend mentioned that she lost her watch, so I was trying to verify if my phone on airplane mode would be sufficient or if I needed to buy a cheap watch to be on the safe side. I've always wanted a pretty pendant watch, so maybe I could treat myself to that

For what it's worth - I also do not wear rings, bracelets or earrings. They irritate me. Wearing a watch would NOT be a greater inconvenience than missing the ship - even as a newbie I'm not THAT stupid. Just clarifying whether the ship time vs port time could be different.

The watch is my issue - ...

For what it's worth - I also do not wear rings, bracelets or earrings. They irritate me. Wearing a watch would NOT be a greater inconvenience than missing the ship - even as a newbie I'm not THAT stupid. Just clarifying whether the ship time vs port time could be different.

I hear you - i don't wear much jewelry either, like you say, it bugs me.

I hook a cheap watch to my Purse (or Backpack) strap when I travel to keep track of time.

There was only one time In Greece i think, that the ship time and the port time were different that i can remember.

the Alaska Cruise i went on 12 years ago had no time issues.

Even shops Clerks seemed to know what time each ship left. (whle shopping a salesclerk told another couple that they better hurry since their ship was leaving soon)

in Greece, when a salesman got pushy, i said we need to hurry back to the ship and he said -" oh you got time your boarding time isn't for 30 minutes yet. "

so if all else fails - ask in a Popular shop. LOL!:)

I hear you - i don't wear much jewelry either, like you say, it bugs me.

I hook a cheap watch to my Purse (or Backpack) strap when I travel to keep track of time.

There was only one time In Greece i think, that the ship time and the port time were different that i can remember.

the Alaska Cruise i went on 12 years ago had no time issues.

Even shops Clerks seemed to know what time each ship left. (whle shopping a salesclerk told another couple that they better hurry since their ship was leaving soon)

in Greece, when a salesman got pushy, i said we need to hurry back to the ship and he said -" oh you got time your boarding time isn't for 30 minutes yet. "

so if all else fails - ask in a Popular shop. LOL!:)

yet another good reason to shop!!! Greece...sigh - this is my first cruise, but I can see working a second job to be able to do that!

Thanks everyone - I suspect much of what I read was for longer/more distant cruises, but I just wanted to make sure I have what I need. There are some cute pendant watches on Amazon so I may need to treat myself....or head over to Charming Charlies hmmm

This is a great question! I Didnt even realize there was a time change from pacific (Victoria) to Juneau or ketchican. What is the difference?

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Forums mobile app

Alaskan time is one hour behind Pacific time.

The watch is my issue - after being a nurse for many years and now being at a desk typing, they bug me - can't stand one on my arm. My friend mentioned that she lost her watch, so I was trying to verify if my phone on airplane mode would be sufficient or if I needed to buy a cheap watch to be on the safe side. I've always wanted a pretty pendant watch, so maybe I could treat myself to that

I used to feel naked without a wristwatch, but the last few watches started bugging me after awhile. Either they were too loose and would move around too much or just not feel comfortable. So sometimes I throw the last one in my purse so I can refer to it or my phone's clock. I did give my watch to my daughter last month so she could refer to it while taking her Advanced Placement exams -- just in case there wasn't a clock within her sight, and just need to reclaim it. It was funny that this week at a board meeting for a group I'm an officer of, I was going to sneak a peak at someone's wrist to see what time it was and realized no one at the table was wearing a watch.

But on a cruise, when time is critical, I will wear a watch, even though I know my hubby will wear the one he has with an alarm capability. Just in case his stops working (which has happened before).