Adelaide Port Shuttle -- not with this line!

zorrosuncle

Hiu --

I have been informed that HAL at this time has no plans to offer shuttle service from the Port of Adelaide to the CBD about 8 miles away. I am a solo traveler and need a safe and sure way to the CBD and back.

Cruise Port Critic states "From Port Adelaide

Cruise lines most likely will offer a shuttle service to the center of Port Adelaide and/or to the city center of Adelaide. Public transportation (bus route 150) and taxis are also available to the city center. The rail line is currently undergoing major track repairs, and, at press time, it was not operating. "

Why is it that HAL almost consistently takes advantage of the situation making the only alternative to see a city their expensive tour -- in this case $151.00 over 8 hours. Other cruise lines have no problem with a shuttle service.

I have refrained booking a subsequent cruise because I am getting very tired of this kind of treatment. You would think they would want to make the cruise experience a good one.

ZU

Hi ZorroUncle,

As Stratheden has pointed out, Adelaide is one of the easiest places to get around. From Port Adelaide where the ship berths, it is an easy taxi ride to the downtown area. The CBD area is built on a planned "grid" layout and surrounded by parklands. A very comfortable and safe city to get around.

Don't let the lack of ship pre-arranged transfers deter you. It is one place you do want to get out and explore. If you enjoy good food and fantastic local wine, then this is the perfect port to explore. Make the most of your time in Adelaide. You won't regret it. And all this from someone from Sydney... :):eek:

Can I suggest that you look at booking a local tour for the day as some of them will pick up at the ship and drop off either in the CBD if you want to do some shopping or drop you back at the ship. Just ask what pickup and drop off options they offer.

Here are a couple of suggested tour operators and information that you might review for further information.

Hope that helps.

http://www.adelaidetourism.com/tours/

http://www.southaustralia.com/brochure-request.aspx

http://www.viator.com/adelaide-tours/d376-ttd?pref=02&aid=g1766

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attractions-g255093-Activities-Adelaide_Greater_Adelaide_South_Australia.html

http://www.southaustralia.com/regions/adelaide-city.aspx

This may come as a surprise to you, but most people in Australia speak quite good English.

Communicating with a taxi driver in Australia is nearly effortless.

When a cruise line arranges a shuttle to nearly anywhere, the cost per person is usually higher than taking a private taxi.

Why would anyone want to spend extra money to ride in a large bus with 60 strangers when they could take a private taxi with an English speaking driver for less money is rather difficult to understand.

What date are you in Adelaide as there is no major works planned that is shutting down the outer harbour train line which services the cruise port, that was all finished ages ago. I even rang Transport SA (our local Adelaide transport provider) to check and they said other than an upgrade to a station on the line which will not interfere with the train's timetable there is nothing planned at present.

Even if for some reason they shut down the line, in Adelaide alternative bus transportation is always provided. Also Cruise Ships are not a common occurrence in our Port so the City of Adelaide quite often puts on free shuttle buses. Possibly why HAL isn't.

But we are a very safe city, especially during daylight hours, you will have no problems with our buses nor our Taxi drivers. Mind you they don't always speak the best English, they tend to be new arrivals in the country but they certainly have enough to get you where you need to go.

When we took the Circle Australia Cruise, there was a free shuttle to the Rundle Mall. The shuttle is not provided by HAL. So HAL is correct in saying they aren't providing a shuttle.

Rundle Mall provides the shuttle with hopes that you will shop there. There was no obligation to do so. Once in the center of Adelaide, there is a free bus that circles the city center. But Adelaide is so compact that you can easily walk to most of the major sites. At the end of the day, we just walked back to Rundle Center to catch the free shuttle back to the port.

Felt very safe in Adelaide. Have a great time, Adelaide is a beautiful city.

What date are you in Adelaide as there is no major works planned that is shutting down the outer harbour train line which services the cruise port, that was all finished ages ago. I even rang Transport SA (our local Adelaide transport provider) to check and they said other than an upgrade to a station on the line which will not interfere with the train's timetable there is nothing planned at present.

Even if for some reason they shut down the line, in Adelaide alternative bus transportation is always provided. Also Cruise Ships are not a common occurrence in our Port so the City of Adelaide quite often puts on free shuttle buses. Possibly why HAL isn't.

But we are a very safe city, especially during daylight hours, you will have no problems with our buses nor our Taxi drivers. Mind you they don't always speak the best English, they tend to be new arrivals in the country but they certainly have enough to get you where you need to go.

Hi ZorrosUncle,

As already mentioned, there may be a "free" bus shuttle provided by the South Australian tourism body, hence HAL not needing to provide this service.

Additionally, I just looked up the Transport SA website (thanks Wastegirl for calling Transport SA) to find the timetable for the train from Outer Harbour (where the ship berths) to the Adelaide CBD. The train goes every 30 minutes on the half hour from Outer Harbour with a scheduled 40 minute ride to the Adelaide Railway Station.

The timetable is here:

https://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/timetables/view/OUTHA/0/1/0

The fares are AU$5.00 1-way in peak hours or AU$3.10 off-peak (after 9.am - 3 pm) for a SingleTrip Metro ticket.

Even if there are no "free" bus transfers provided on the day, then the train is still great value.

I can only suggest that you "get out and about" in Adelaide and really make the most of your visit. It's a great place to visit, so enjoy!

Don't get hung up about the cruise line not providing transfers, there are lots of transfer alternatives with taxis and trains, plus any free bus transfers potentially provided by the SA tourism board.

And finally, yes we do speak English... :) We probably all talk too fast and drop the endings of words, but you will "catch on" to Ozzie slang...:eek:

Enjoy your trip.

Thanks for all the Adelaide information, the train sounds quite efficient.

We are on the same cruise as Zorrosuncle, the Volendam calls at Adelaide November 13th.

We are looking forward to another visit to the lovely city of Adelaide.

Thanks for all the Adelaide information, the train sounds quite efficient.

We are on the same cruise as Zorrosuncle, the Volendam calls at Adelaide November 13th.

We are looking forward to another visit to the lovely city of Adelaide.

Hi Erewhon,

You once provided me with much needed information, so it is a pleasure to be able to return the favour and assist.

My partner is from Adelaide and we return there regularly to see family. In fact, we are also cruising to Adelaide, but just before you on Celebrity Century in October.

Have a great time on Volendam.

Mark: Thanks for the info on Adelaide. Did u like the Oosterdam? Planning for next year. Was thinking about month of Sept/Oct, good time for both australia and new zealand? thanks,

Hi Elaine,

Not only did we "like" Oosterdam, we LOVED it! We would do it again in a heartbeat. Ship has a great style. Many would say gaudy décor, but it works.

Sep / Oct is a great time. It's not too hot in Sydney or Auckland and it's not too cold (freezing) in the south of New Zealand. Remember, in the south of NZ you are still in the 40 degrees south of the equator, so it can be cold.

As for clothing, you only really need a number of light layers. If you get hot you can just peel off a layer.

I have not looked at her itinerary, but don't delay, just book it. :D:)

...When a cruise line arranges a shuttle to nearly anywhere, the cost per person is usually higher than taking a private taxi.....

I have definitely found this to not be the case. For me, taxis have always been more expensive than a HAL shuttle (as opposed to a HAL excursion) anywhere.

Scott & Karen

Hiu --

I have been informed that HAL at this time has no plans to offer shuttle service from the Port of Adelaide to the CBD about 8 miles away. I am a solo traveler and need a safe and sure way to the CBD and back.

ZU

Where did you get the idea that Adelaide was unsafe. If you do have a worry although unwarranted, just share a taxi w someone. BTW - if you do take taxis in Australia, remember that they do not expect a tip.

DON

Hiu --

Cruise Port Critic states "From Port Adelaide

Cruise lines most likely will offer a shuttle service to the center of Port Adelaide and/or to the city center of Adelaide. Public transportation (bus route 150) and taxis are also available to the city center. The rail line is currently undergoing major track repairs, and, at press time, it was not operating. "

Why is it that HAL almost consistently takes advantage of the situation making the only alternative to see a city their expensive tour -- in this case $151.00 over 8 hours. Other cruise lines have no problem with a shuttle service.

I have refrained booking a subsequent cruise because I am getting very tired of this kind of treatment. You would think they would want to make the cruise experience a good one.

ZU

If you are looking for a shuttle with HAL forget it, we spent 30 Dollars when in Barcelona on a overnight back in March, excuse was we don't do it anymore. The issue for us, if a ship is so far from the center of the city HAL should be responsible to provide a complimentary service especially for the elderly. HAL we agree has to make a profit but greed is not good.