North to Alaska-Amsterdam May 18th thru June 1st, 2014 - Better late than never....

(Sung to the tune of 'Gilligan's Island' theme song):

"As we take our leave from Anchorage, volcanoes to our West. We make our way to Homer next, the place my heart loves best...the place my heart loves best."

Disclaimer: I wrote up the Homer segment of this review on the Thursday before July 4th just prior to the long holiday weekend. But aparently :eek: the internet gods did not smile fondly upon my posting because 'POOF' it disappeared.:rolleyes: So with more than a little bit of frustration, I will attempt to recreate that first posting. Wish me luck...

Homer, Alaska - A quaint little drinking town with a fishing problem: Homer is a funky little artsy community at the end of the road (literally) surrounded by some pretty impressive volcanoes and glaciers with beautiful Kachemak Bay all around. DH and I spent a wonderful, magical week in a rental house in Homer about this same time frame in 2013, which just cemented our desire to retire to this little community when the time is right. (For photos and more information of this home, please Google 'Walkabout Cabin in Homer' or look for it on Homeaway.com.) A lovely home off East End Road, about 12 miles outside Homer proper, situated down near the water with astounding views of the Bay and the Dixon Glacier from its many decks.

Both Michelle and I love Homer so we were anxiously awaiting our arrival to this port. Be sure to be out on deck or on your balcony if you are so fortunate for sail in amongst the many uninhabited islands, the mountains all around, and the opportunity to see wildlife if you are so lucky.

The skies were blue, the temp. was about 55 degrees but the wind was cold and strong. We disembarked the ship, walked across the pier which hosts thousands of squawking seagulls and their nests, and were in line to board the first shuttle to the Spit.

Several locals were waiting to greet us, handing out Visitor's Guides and pointing us to either the free shuttle to the Spit or the paid ($15, I think?) shuttle to town.

One, a young lady - maybe high school age - was particularly gracious with a big welcoming smile, wearing shorts and a tank top - obviously enjoying the weather, which to her was positively tropical. As she chatted with us about to board the shuttle, some rude and obnoxious oaf waiting in line behind us was loudly mocking the port of Homer and what it had to offer, saying that HAL should remove this port from it's itinerary because it was a waste of time; that there was nothing to do there. I watched this young woman's face - saw her welcoming smile fade away and could see the hurt in her eyes - it was hard to watch. Fortunately, once this jerk was done with his rant, he appeared embarrassed and chastised after he got an earful of boos and dirty looks in his direction, from the rest of us waiting in line. What can you do, right? Some folks just can't mind their manners...

Anyway, we boarded the shuttle and as we passed the deep water boat harbor - there she was, in all her glory - the Time Bandit from the 'Deadliest Catch' television show. Woo-hoo! We were in luck! This crab boat is captained by the Hillstrand brothers - Andy and Jonathan - both local boys born and bred in Homer. For fans of the 'Deadliest Catch' you can imagine our joy!

(Note that there is a Time Bandit store located in town, and manned by Jonathan and Andy's Mom - Mary. While there used to be a satellite store located on the Spit, it is no longer there, all operations have moved to the store in town).

We were both fortunate enough to see the Time Bandit on our 2010 sailing and looked forward to more photos, and perhaps (please God!) some of the crew might be on board for some autographs.;)

After a hurried discussion, Michelle and I decided to just stay aboard the shuttle to return to the ship so we could get a closer look at the Time Bandit (and as we later discovered, two other DC boats - YAY!!!) When we got back, we saw Donna and John in line for the town shuttle, so we told them about our find and the four of us set off for the short walk to the deep water harbor just across the road from the pier.

You are permitted to walk down the steep gangway onto the piers themselves to stroll among the large fishing and crabbing boats that are docked there. In no time, we were right in front of the Time Bandit, all four of us snapping photos and brimming with excitement. Unfortunately, the boat appeared to be deserted but it didn't dampen our enthusiasm. Further down the same dock, I noticed that the Cape Caution (Capt. Wild Bill) was in port as well as the Ramblin' Rose (on last year's episodes, captained by Elliott Nease - ugh, one of my least favorite captains). So we took lots of photos of all three ships, and kept hoping for a glimpse of a crew member or a captain, alas to no avail.

In 2010, I was fortunate enough to run into Eddie, a crew member of the Time Bandit, who generously agreed to take some photos with me in front of the boat. Framed and proudly displayed in my rec room at home, those photos are a treasure to this DC fan!

After getting our fill of a brush with Deadliest Catch fame, we once again boarded the HAL shuttle to the Spit, while Donna and John boarded the town shuttle to visit the Pratt Museum (lovely little homegrown museum in town with so much to offer - check it out if you're ever there).

In 2010, DH and I had rented electric bikes to explore the Spit and had a ball zipping up and down the 4 mile long Spit. Unfortunately, the shop that rented the bikes to us is no longer in business, but there are several bike shops that rent manpowered bikes if you are interested.

Michelle and I began our exploration of the little artisan shops and restaurants on the Spit to a fierce cold wind but bright blue skies and lots of sun. My only mission for this port was to pick up an oyster shucking knife for DH from the Seafood Co-op, located towards town so we had a bit of a walk ahead of us. When DH and I visited the Seafood Co-op each and every day to pick up fresh Kachemak Bay oysters, shrimp and scallops or humongous crablegs for our evening meal. We had eaten seafood every day (sometimes twice a day) for 17 days straight on that 2013 trip - I'm still surprised that neither of us had developed gout by the time our trip was over! :D DH had purchased an oyster shucker on that trip, but he left it at our rental house for future visitors to use - wasn't that nice?

After obtaining the knife, we walked back to Capt. Patties, one of the best restaurants on the Spit to get some wonderfully fresh seafood for lunch. In Michelle's quest to eat fresh halibut fish and chips every chance we got, her wish was once again granted. She had her favorite halibut while I had some fresh steamed clams in deliciously fragrant broth that melted in my mouth. John and Donna came in just as we were leaving, and they were on the hunt for fresh oysters (for John) and fresh salmon (for Donna) - once again, mission accomplished.:p

More walking on the Spit, enjoying the views of some sea otters lazily floating in the waves offshore, and all the brave campers with their tents on the beach. We found some treasures in the shops, and then decided to go over to town. However, after trying unsuccessfully to find the bus stop for the shuttle to town, we decided to head back to the deep water harbor in hopes of spying some crew members on the DC boats. No luck in that department, but still had fun taking (more) photos.

We returned to the ship, dropped off our treasures in the cabin, and went to the 'Dark Side' to watch a sealion frolicking in the harbor, eagles dive bombing the frantic seagulls on the pier, and enjoying our last (sighing with longing) look at Homer for this trip.

Before I close this segment of my review, I'd like to recommend some ideas for excursions in the port of Homer.

On our 2013 trip, DH and I went on an excursion with Stellar Air to visit Dick Proenecke's cabin on Twin Lakes in the Lake Clark National Park. For those of you who may not know about Mr. Proenecke, please Google his name or 'Alone in the Wilderness', the interesting PBS film he did showing his life in the wilderness, building his cabin using only handtools, resourcefully fashioning everything from cups and bowls to furniture, using only handtools and creative ingenuity. He was a true pioneer, homesteader and frontiersman, who went to Twin Lakes with nothing but the clothes on his back at (I believe) age 50, living there alone until his late 80's with only visits from his brother or friends occassionally throughout his life. It is a fascinating story that will leave you wanting more. Excellent flightseeing excursion thru Stellar Air - flying over the mountains and glaciers to land on the stunningly Carribean blue (really!) Twin Lakes and the tour of Dick's cabin was just an amazing experience we'd highly recommend to all. Expensive? For sure! But oh so worth it! Tell Olympia at Stellar Air that Lynda and Gary sent ya;)!

Besides the Pratt Museum I had mentioned earlier, another fun and interesting thing to do in Homer is to rent a car and drive out to Dr. Linda Chamberlain's Howling Husky Mushing Kennel, off East End Road. Dr. Chamberlain is an interesting educator who shares her mushing kennel with her husband (a bee keeper who makes his own honey) and a pack of retired Iditarod sled dogs, living off the land and participating in the sport of recreational dog mushing. In 2011, my niece, her fiance' and myself did a private tour at the Howling Husky Kennel, allowing us the opportunity to actually harness a patient sled dog, tour Linda's extensive private mushing museum and recreated Iditarod pitstop tent, learn about the sport of mushing, pet the dogs, and watch a beekeeping demonstration by her husband. Informative and fun, this is a great excursion for those dog lovers out there! Be sure to stop at the Fritz Creek General Store (part deli, part post office, part general store) on your way back to town for the most delicious homemade pizza, sandwiches, or other unique dishes - DELICIOUS!!!

If you happen to be in Homer on a Saturday, make it a point to go to the Saturday Farmer's Market near Beluga Lake just as you leave the Spit heading into town. Filled with booths offering fresh seafood, baked goods, homemade jellies, jams, and candles, handcrafted jewelry, original pottery and paintings - it makes for a wonderful day of music, great food, and fresh produce!

As we sailed away from Homer, I was already dreaming of my next visit to this special place that has found a permanent home in my heart. I miss it already, don't you Michelle?

(Sung to the tune of 'Gilligan's Island' theme song):

"As we take our leave from Anchorage, volcanoes to our West. We make our way to Homer next, the place my heart loves best...the place my heart loves best."

Disclaimer: I wrote up the Homer segment of this review on the Thursday before July 4th just prior to the long holiday weekend. But aparently :eek: the internet gods did not smile fondly upon my posting because 'POOF' it disappeared.:rolleyes: So with more than a little bit of frustration, I will attempt to recreate that first posting. Wish me luck...

Homer, Alaska - A quaint little drinking town with a fishing problem: Homer is a funky little artsy community at the end of the road (literally) surrounded by some pretty impressive volcanoes and glaciers with beautiful Kachemak Bay all around. DH and I spent a wonderful, magical week in a rental house in Homer about this same time frame in 2013, which just cemented our desire to retire to this little community when the time is right. (For photos and more information of this home, please Google 'Walkabout Cabin in Homer' or look for it on Homeaway.com.) A lovely home off East End Road, about 12 miles outside Homer proper, situated down near the water with astounding views of the Bay and the Dixon Glacier from its many decks.

Both Michelle and I love Homer so we were anxiously awaiting our arrival to this port. Be sure to be out on deck or on your balcony if you are so fortunate for sail in amongst the many uninhabited islands, the mountains all around, and the opportunity to see wildlife if you are so lucky.

The skies were blue, the temp. was about 55 degrees but the wind was cold and strong. We disembarked the ship, walked across the pier which hosts thousands of squawking seagulls and their nests, and were in line to board the first shuttle to the Spit.

Several locals were waiting to greet us, handing out Visitor's Guides and pointing us to either the free shuttle to the Spit or the paid ($15, I think?) shuttle to town.

One, a young lady - maybe high school age - was particularly gracious with a big welcoming smile, wearing shorts and a tank top - obviously enjoying the weather, which to her was positively tropical. As she chatted with us about to board the shuttle, some rude and obnoxious oaf waiting in line behind us was loudly mocking the port of Homer and what it had to offer, saying that HAL should remove this port from it's itinerary because it was a waste of time; that there was nothing to do there. I watched this young woman's face - saw her welcoming smile fade away and could see the hurt in her eyes - it was hard to watch. Fortunately, once this jerk was done with his rant, he appeared embarrassed and chastised after he got an earful of boos and dirty looks in his direction, from the rest of us waiting in line. What can you do, right? Some folks just can't mind their manners...

Anyway, we boarded the shuttle and as we passed the deep water boat harbor - there she was, in all her glory - the Time Bandit from the 'Deadliest Catch' television show. Woo-hoo! We were in luck! This crab boat is captained by the Hillstrand brothers - Andy and Jonathan - both local boys born and bred in Homer. For fans of the 'Deadliest Catch' you can imagine our joy!

(Note that there is a Time Bandit store located in town, and manned by Jonathan and Andy's Mom - Mary. While there used to be a satellite store located on the Spit, it is no longer there, all operations have moved to the store in town).

We were both fortunate enough to see the Time Bandit on our 2010 sailing and looked forward to more photos, and perhaps (please God!) some of the crew might be on board for some autographs.;)

After a hurried discussion, Michelle and I decided to just stay aboard the shuttle to return to the ship so we could get a closer look at the Time Bandit (and as we later discovered, two other DC boats - YAY!!!) When we got back, we saw Donna and John in line for the town shuttle, so we told them about our find and the four of us set off for the short walk to the deep water harbor just across the road from the pier.

You are permitted to walk down the steep gangway onto the piers themselves to stroll among the large fishing and crabbing boats that are docked there. In no time, we were right in front of the Time Bandit, all four of us snapping photos and brimming with excitement. Unfortunately, the boat appeared to be deserted but it didn't dampen our enthusiasm. Further down the same dock, I noticed that the Cape Caution (Capt. Wild Bill) was in port as well as the Ramblin' Rose (on last year's episodes, captained by Elliott Nease - ugh, one of my least favorite captains). So we took lots of photos of all three ships, and kept hoping for a glimpse of a crew member or a captain, alas to no avail.

In 2010, I was fortunate enough to run into Eddie, a crew member of the Time Bandit, who generously agreed to take some photos with me in front of the boat. Framed and proudly displayed in my rec room at home, those photos are a treasure to this DC fan!

After getting our fill of a brush with Deadliest Catch fame, we once again boarded the HAL shuttle to the Spit, while Donna and John boarded the town shuttle to visit the Pratt Museum (lovely little homegrown museum in town with so much to offer - check it out if you're ever there).

In 2010, DH and I had rented electric bikes to explore the Spit and had a ball zipping up and down the 4 mile long Spit. Unfortunately, the shop that rented the bikes to us is no longer in business, but there are several bike shops that rent manpowered bikes if you are interested.

Michelle and I began our exploration of the little artisan shops and restaurants on the Spit to a fierce cold wind but bright blue skies and lots of sun. My only mission for this port was to pick up an oyster shucking knife for DH from the Seafood Co-op, located towards town so we had a bit of a walk ahead of us. When DH and I visited the Seafood Co-op each and every day to pick up fresh Kachemak Bay oysters, shrimp and scallops or humongous crablegs for our evening meal. We had eaten seafood every day (sometimes twice a day) for 17 days straight on that 2013 trip - I'm still surprised that neither of us had developed gout by the time our trip was over! :D DH had purchased an oyster shucker on that trip, but he left it at our rental house for future visitors to use - wasn't that nice?

After obtaining the knife, we walked back to Capt. Patties, one of the best restaurants on the Spit to get some wonderfully fresh seafood for lunch. In Michelle's quest to eat fresh halibut fish and chips every chance we got, her wish was once again granted. She had her favorite halibut while I had some fresh steamed clams in deliciously fragrant broth that melted in my mouth. John and Donna came in just as we were leaving, and they were on the hunt for fresh oysters (for John) and fresh salmon (for Donna) - once again, mission accomplished.:p

More walking on the Spit, enjoying the views of some sea otters lazily floating in the waves offshore, and all the brave campers with their tents on the beach. We found some treasures in the shops, and then decided to go over to town. However, after trying unsuccessfully to find the bus stop for the shuttle to town, we decided to head back to the deep water harbor in hopes of spying some crew members on the DC boats. No luck in that department, but still had fun taking (more) photos.

We returned to the ship, dropped off our treasures in the cabin, and went to the 'Dark Side' to watch a sealion frolicking in the harbor, eagles dive bombing the frantic seagulls on the pier, and enjoying our last (sighing with longing) look at Homer for this trip.

Before I close this segment of my review, I'd like to recommend some ideas for excursions in the port of Homer.

On our 2013 trip, DH and I went on an excursion with Stellar Air to visit Dick Proenecke's cabin on Twin Lakes in the Lake Clark National Park. For those of you who may not know about Mr. Proenecke, please Google his name or 'Alone in the Wilderness', the interesting PBS film he did showing his life in the wilderness, building his cabin using only handtools, resourcefully fashioning everything from cups and bowls to furniture, using only handtools and creative ingenuity. He was a true pioneer, homesteader and frontiersman, who went to Twin Lakes with nothing but the clothes on his back at (I believe) age 50, living there alone until his late 80's with only visits from his brother or friends occassionally throughout his life. It is a fascinating story that will leave you wanting more. Excellent flightseeing excursion thru Stellar Air - flying over the mountains and glaciers to land on the stunningly Carribean blue (really!) Twin Lakes and the tour of Dick's cabin was just an amazing experience we'd highly recommend to all. Expensive? For sure! But oh so worth it! Tell Olympia at Stellar Air that Lynda and Gary sent ya;)!

Besides the Pratt Museum I had mentioned earlier, another fun and interesting thing to do in Homer is to rent a car and drive out to Dr. Linda Chamberlain's Howling Husky Mushing Kennel, off East End Road. Dr. Chamberlain is an interesting educator who shares her mushing kennel with her husband (a bee keeper who makes his own honey) and a pack of retired Iditarod sled dogs, living off the land and participating in the sport of recreational dog mushing. In 2011, my niece, her fiance' and myself did a private tour at the Howling Husky Kennel, allowing us the opportunity to actually harness a patient sled dog, tour Linda's extensive private mushing museum and recreated Iditarod pitstop tent, learn about the sport of mushing, pet the dogs, and watch a beekeeping demonstration by her husband. Informative and fun, this is a great excursion for those dog lovers out there! Be sure to stop at the Fritz Creek General Store (part deli, part post office, part general store) on your way back to town for the most delicious homemade pizza, sandwiches, or other unique dishes - DELICIOUS!!!

If you happen to be in Homer on a Saturday, make it a point to go to the Saturday Farmer's Market near Beluga Lake just as you leave the Spit heading into town. Filled with booths offering fresh seafood, baked goods, homemade jellies, jams, and candles, handcrafted jewelry, original pottery and paintings - it makes for a wonderful day of music, great food, and fresh produce!

As we sailed away from Homer, I was already dreaming of my next visit to this special place that has found a permanent home in my heart. I miss it already, don't you Michelle?

YES! Yes I do Linda.

What an awesome review, Lynda. I anxiously await each new port. I couldn't get to Alaska this year, but reading your review is the next best thing!!! I hope to get back to AK within the next few years. Keeping those fingers crossed.

What an awesome review, Lynda. I anxiously await each new port. I couldn't get to Alaska this year, but reading your review is the next best thing!!! I hope to get back to AK within the next few years. Keeping those fingers crossed.

AIP, I am enjoying your review immensely!! can't wait for our turn to get back to Alaska again, Aug 10th!! won't be long now!!

I am enjoying your post very much, I even share them with Dear Hubby! We are seriously considering this cruise for 2015. My question is, do you think the May sailing is best? What should we consider in choosing a date? We are retired so we can go most anytime! Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks,

Marian

I am enjoying your post very much, I even share them with Dear Hubby! We are seriously considering this cruise for 2015. My question is, do you think the May sailing is best? What should we consider in choosing a date? We are retired so we can go most anytime! Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks,

Marian

Every month offers something different. I suggest you study the excursions, decide what you would like to do and then determine the best time to do those excursions.

Mid-May to Mid June tends to be less rainy, so some people like that time frame. They also like to see the snow on the mountains. There tend to be less children traveling then, which is important to some people. However if you go too early in May, some excursions will not yet be operating. Also, if you are including Denali on a land tour, you need to plan carefully so the road is open as far as you want to go in. If you are looking to get into the depths of Denali, you need to look at arrival after June 8.

If you are interested in seeing bears, esp. bears eating salmon in the rivers (awesome) May is much too early. AIP and I were on the August 2011 cruise with this same itinerary. We both chose that cruise because we wanted to see bears fishing for salmon. We really lucked out on that cruise with unseasonably warm days with very, very little rain. In August you expect rain. It was an awesome cruise!!!

If you want to go dogsledding on a glacier you don't want to go too late in the season. Those excursions can close mid-August some years. One cannot predict the weather. If that was my priority I would not plan to go any later than July.

Hopefully I gave you an idea of why there is no perfect time to cruise AK. All I know is I would not go past the first week of September, and likely not even then. September can be awesome from what I have read, but it is also the time when severe storms can arrive with ships not being able to dock in ports. Does this happen every year? Of course not. However, it is like planning a Carribean Cruise during Hurricane Season. You just don't know. Since we don't have a crystal ball to determine what September will be like, it is a time I would avoid, esp. if it was going to be a once in a lifetime trip to AK. JMHO

Wow, what great suggestions! We have been to Alaska 3xs and we have done the land tour also. We saw bears feeding on salmon on one trip BUT we have yet to see whales! We like the idea of cruising up the Cook Inlet....and the smaller ports. Once again, thanks.

Every month offers something different. I suggest you study the excursions, decide what you would like to do and then determine the best time to do those excursions.

Mid-May to Mid June tends to be less rainy, so some people like that time frame. They also like to see the snow on the mountains. There tend to be less children traveling then, which is important to some people. However if you go too early in May, some excursions will not yet be operating. Also, if you are including Denali on a land tour, you need to plan carefully so the road is open as far as you want to go in. If you are looking to get into the depths of Denali, you need to look at arrival after June 8.

If you are interested in seeing bears, esp. bears eating salmon in the rivers (awesome) May is much too early. AIP and I were on the August 2011 cruise with this same itinerary. We both chose that cruise because we wanted to see bears fishing for salmon. We really lucked out on that cruise with unseasonably warm days with very, very little rain. In August you expect rain. It was an awesome cruise!!!

If you want to go dogsledding on a glacier you don't want to go too late in the season. Those excursions can close mid-August some years. One cannot predict the weather. If that was my priority I would not plan to go any later than July.

Hopefully I gave you an idea of why there is no perfect time to cruise AK. All I know is I would not go past the first week of September, and likely not even then. September can be awesome from what I have read, but it is also the time when severe storms can arrive with ships not being able to dock in ports. Does this happen every year? Of course not. However, it is like planning a Carribean Cruise during Hurricane Season. You just don't know. Since we don't have a crystal ball to determine what September will be like, it is a time I would avoid, esp. if it was going to be a once in a lifetime trip to AK. JMHO

Very helpful information. Thank you!

Wow, what great suggestions! We have been to Alaska 3xs and we have done the land tour also. We saw bears feeding on salmon on one trip BUT we have yet to see whales! We like the idea of cruising up the Cook Inlet....and the smaller ports. Once again, thanks.

It is an AWESOME itinerary!!! Icy Strait and Juneau are both great places for whale watches. You could book a tour in each. :D

AIP and I both went whale watching in 2011 in Icy Strait, but went with different independent vendors. AIP shared their photos with me and what a pleasant surprise to see that when they took a whale photo, our boat was in the background and my DH and I were out on deck. What a fabulous photo of the whale and us. Priceless to us!!!

Also, you should see whales from the ship, but they will be in the distance. Key is to spend lots of time on deck in the known whale areas. When we were on the Volendam, the captain always announced when marine life was spotted. On the Amsterdam the captain did not let us know. :(

I hope you get to see whales when you return to AK. Whale watching did not really interest me initially. However, we were blessed to see the bubble net feeding and it was SO AWESOME!!!! I do think I would be a bit bored if all I saw was tails and backs. Everything about that 2011 trip was special. We were truly blessed. I can't wait to go back, but don't know when that will be.

• 3 weeks later...

PREFACE: Thanx all for your patience. Once again, life got in the way and I was unable to get back here to continue my review as promptly as I had hoped. So now, without further adieu, lets move on to Kodiak - the next stop on our amazing itinerary!

Sung to the tune of the 'Gilligan's Island' theme song:

"The ship made land on the shore of this bright green Alaskan Isle, with Capt. Fred ably at the wheel, we arrived in fine HAL style....we arrived in fine HAL style."

Kodiak: With a short port time of 7AM-3PM, it is hard to do one of the more adventurous excursions like a bear viewing flight when visiting this true Alaskan port. No frills here. Having been to Kodiak two previous times - once with Michelle where we had the cab ride from hell (Funny now. At the time, not so much:rolleyes:), and once with my niece and her fiance' using Dake from MemoryMakers (highly recommend!), we decided to take the free shuttle into town and explore on our own.

It was a misty, sometimes drizzly morning in Kodiak and the streets were deserted as we headed from the drop off point at the visitor's center to the small boat harbor in town. Sadly for us, we'd missed the annual Kodiak Crab Festival by one stinkin' day....what's up with that??? As such, barricades, carnival booths, and packed trash cans awaited us at the harbor as the town slowly came to life and city workers began breaking down the festival area.

We walked along the waterfront, spying eagles everywhere we looked. It was peaceful and quiet, with most HAL passengers swarming the visitor center and nearby museum rather than venturing forth as we had.

From previous experience, DH and I had found that the best and most unusual souveniers can be had by visiting either of the two sporting goods stores in town, with Cy's being our favorite. Michelle and I hoofed it over to Cy's - only to discover with great dismay - that Cy's had moved....out of town....far, far out of town....much further away than our tired legs could carry us. "Well, that really sucks" was my less than polite observation! So instead, we headed across the street to Mack's Sporting Goods - our second choice in the sporting goods arena. When speaking to the helpful cashiers at Mack's, we learned that a couple of 'Deadliest Catch' boats had been (and quite possibly might still be:D) in town - this time the Seabrooke, which had been seen just the day before at the fueling dock downtown, and the Saga. Sadly, the Cornelia Marie - which would've been a jackpot crab boat for my roomie and I to see and photograph - had left town just the week before. Boo-hoo...

So our resourcefull little selves called a local cab (fortunately not Bonnie's Cabs who we had used for our 2010 debacle, where we experienced nothing short of a Disneyland ride with our driver Joe), and within 10 minutes, were on our way to the large boat harbor across the bridge. Our female cab driver was a chatty young lady whose BIL worked on crab boats and was full of info regarding the 'Deadliest Catch' boats and who might or might not still be in port.

Upon arrival at the bustling large boat dock, we walked down to get some photos of the Saga, crisscrossing the various piers to get the best shots. Unfortunately, the Seabrooke's sighting the day before signaled Capt. Junior gassing up to leave port to do some salmon tendering in SE Alaska for the summer. Rats!

As we were walking down the pier, I noticed a rather large brown shape at the very end of the dock that I couldn't identify. As I got closer, I realized - to my delight - that the brown lump was breathing and snoring loudly - a sea lion hauled out for his morning snooze....right....there...just feet away!!! I was thrilled, Michelle not so much. She hung back shouting "Don't you dare! Get back here this minute!" as I inched closer and closer to within 3 feet of this massive animal, who slumbered on in oblivian. Trembling with excitement, I immediately began taking photo after photo, zooming in on his adorable face whose mouth is set in a perpetual smile and long eyelashes were fluttering with each rumbling snore. Close enough to touch - and I almost did til Michelle's warning of how I'd end up in the drink, with no place to escape, should Mr. Sealion wake from his slumber. Speaking softly to this giant creature, he finally roused from sleep, lifting his head to open one eye to take a gander at this annoying camera wielding tourist, and then promptly lowered his head to go back into dreamland, snoring once again within seconds. Oh my, it was an amazing experience, and I still regret that I didn't atleast try to touch that silky looking flipper that was just inches away.

Just about 20 yards off the end of this pier, was the sealion haulout pier which was populated with atleast 25 noisy, non-napping sealions all piled on top of one another, making their presence known with their curious, hoarse voices in chorus filling the quiet morning with sounds of life. No wonder this big guy before me had sought a bit of peace and tranquility for his morning nap on the end of this pier - who could blame him?

After having our fill, we headed back to town, went into the Kodiak Wildlife Museum for a look see, then overhearing the gift shop cashier mention that the Kodiak Chamber of Commerce was selling left-over tee shirts from this year's Crab Festival in their basement office, we went down to score some for ourselves!

Afterwards, we walked to the Big Bear (I think that is what it is called) Native Market in a large warehouse type building along the waterfront to peruse the wares - many of which are handmade by local residents. Wandered the very few shops that were open in town, and then took the HAL shuttle back to the ship. After a late and delicious lunch in the MDR (only our second time there on this entire voyage) shared with a delightful couple, we spent some time on our porch, enjoying the beauty that is Kodiak. Then we went to the Dark Side and discovered a bald eagle had perched on the rock slide hill just opposite where the Amsterdam was docked. Tons of photos of this magnificent bird which seemed close enough to touch once my 50X zoom was utilized, I enjoyed just watching him preen and sit majestically surveying 'his domain' from his perch on the rocks.

For those with Kodiak on their itinerary, I would highly recommend a 3 hour van tour with MemoryMakers ($75/pp), a visit to Ft. Abercrombie for walks thru the rainforest to view the WWII bunkers and encampments, noshing on the huge and luscious salmonberries which grow there in abundance, a stop at the Kodiak Brewery for a taste testing, a flight to see the Kodiak bears, or perhaps a rental car to tour the island on your own using the several detailed driving tour suggestions found in the Kodiak Visitor's Guide, free for the asking.

All too soon, it was time to set sail to the mighty Hubbard Glacier. I remained on the aft deck as we left Kodiak in our wake - taking photograph after photograph of the misty and mysterious mountaintops covered with emerald forest, the wind turbines on Pillar Mountain, the many commerical fishing boats coming and going in the harbor, all the while searching for whales (none were seen) and sealions (score!).

Sad to leave this magical place that many don't have the opportunity to visit, I dreamt about coming back in the future to spend a few days at a wilderness lodge to view the massive Kodiak brown bears of legend. Someday....

HI all!

AIP ~ thanks so much for continuing with your story, loving it & getting excited for our cruise on Aug 24th.:D Will be going on Dake's tour so look forward to that.

Have you posted your photos anywhere? I'd love to see them, especially the sea lion up close.

~ Jo ~ :)

Thanks AIP for continuing your review. It is like reading a book you don't want to put down.

I have great memories of Kodiak, enjoying Dake with you and your relatives. Jake was so informative and gave us a great tour.

I also remember that I was beginning to lose hope of finding my grandson's requested souvenir: A shirt from Alaska with a Jellyfish on it. It was here in Kodiak, at a small shop, that we found the shirt. :D

Edited by vbmom87

Thanks for sharing, AIP

I second that.

We will be visiting the usual cruiseline stops on our upcoming first trip to Alaska. Your posts are giving us an indication of what we will be missing - and alternatives for future cruises.

AIP, thanks for the heads up, I had "almost" given up looking for the finish to your review, so glad you came back to continue.... really enjoying it!! Just found our I have a great niece that works in Icy Point/ Hoonah... she wasn't there 2 summers ago!! if I'd known I could've had you say "HI" for me.

we live on the Kitsap Peninsula, and often see seals, or sea lions here, although you were braver than I would be to get so close!! they are really big, aren't they???? !! thanks again, is there more?? would love to see your pictures, too. hopefully one day we will cruise together, especially if we cruise as Lottery winners, huh???:D

(Sung to the tune of 'Gilligan's Island' theme song)

"Sailing thru Disenchantment Bay to Hubbard's frigid face, Capt. Fred dodged floating bergie bits, slow and steady wins the race...slow and steady wins the race."

Hubbard Glacier Scenic Cruising - Today dawned clear and a bit cool (and about to get cooler as we neared the glacier's face). Up bright and early, despite the lack of a port day, I was roaming the decks and enjoying the watery sunshine as we sailed into Disenchantment Bay for our day in front of the mighty Hubbard Glacier. Personally, I prefer to Hubbard to even Glacier Bay simply due to its immense size. It is so impressive, particularly if you are a first time visitor as I was back in late Sept. of 2006. Back then, our captain manuevered the Oosterdam so close to the glacier's face that you really felt you could touch it. I remember spending the whole day on our balcony, sharing with friends the delights of calving after calving; so much so that folks were cheering, oohing, and aahing as tho witness to a spectacular fireworks display...only better! To hear and feel that ominous rumbling clear into your chest, right before massive hunks of ice splashed down into the bay is something I'll never forget. I've been to Hubbard Glacier 4 more times since that first 2006 trip, and only once did we not get close enough to really appreciate its immenseness (is that a word:rolleyes:?). Today, we would get quite close to the glacier but it was not as active as I've seen in the past. Still, it was impressive and as always, a delight to behold.

During the sail-in, we past a Celebrity ship, a huge behemouth that I am SO glad I was not on:D - those big guys just do not appeal to me. Was out on the secret deck as we passed, and spent a few moments waving and hooting and hollering to those aboard Celebrity - thanx for the welcome to Hubbard Glacier!

Michelle and I, along w/Donna and John, wandered the ship as we slowly spun in front of the glacier. Seeing the reactions of Donna and John as they viewed this huge chunk of ancient ice was priceless - it never fails to stir the emotions. The ice pack in the water served up views of resting sealions, flocks of gulls sqwauking at our intrusion, and a ring of mountains towering over the bay. It is truly a sight to behold.

Traditional Dutch pea soup was served in the Crow's Nest, and outside on decks 3 and 8 from 10:30AM-11AM - blink and you've missed it! While I did not partake, it looked delicious and folks really seemed to be enjoying it. A salmon bake was also held at the indoor pool on the Lido deck from 11:30AM-1:30PM, and that I did enjoy for some lunchtime repast.

As always, access to the bow was permitted for wonderful forward viewing and John in particular spent a great deal of time out there.

Michelle participated in the Slot Pull at 1:30PM, but alas, a big win was not to be on this trip. We did, however, see a woman shaking with excitement, tears pouring down her face, win over $8500.00 on a slot machine. How great is that?!?

Glad I brought my knit headband and gloves, I spent the entire time sailing out of Disenchantment Bay on the aft of deck 7, enjoying the peace and solitude with a delicious specialty coffee in hand to warm these old bones. We had our usual dinner in the Lido, then spent some time preparing our day packs for our visit to Sitka the next day. Sad that our last Alaska port was fast approaching, which meant this amazing cruise would soon be coming to an end. Sigh....where did the time go?

Went to the evening show to see Barnaby perform his comedic juggling show. Sad to learn from these boards just about a week ago, that he has since passed away.

This evening, I lingered on our balcony long into the Alaskan dusk, searing memories in my brain of this fantastic voyage that would soon be coming to an end. So looking forward to one of my favorite, unspoiled Alaskan ports, I eventually shuffled inside and off to dreamland on those oh-so-comfy HAL beds as we sailed toward Sitka thru the night.

Oh Lynda, your Hubbard Glacier report brought back the wonderful memories I have of our 2011 cruise that included Hubbard. Unlike you, Glacier Bay is still my favorite, but Hubbard Glacier is still a must see in my mind. It is truly one massive and spectacular site isn't it? So glad you had a great day, but sorry you didn't experience the calving like you have in the past. That is an awesome experience, isn't it? Looking forward to the rest of your report. It is making me sad to read that your journey is almost over. You did a great job of making me feel like I was traveling right along with you. Thanks for taking the time to compose this wonderful trip summary.

Thanks VBmom and all the others who have read and commented on this review. Yes, Mary, we did have an awesome visit to Hubbard on our 2011 cruise, didn't we?

To my loyal readers, I do apologize that it has taken me this long (how the heck can it be August already?!?:confused:). I appreciate all of the thoughtful comments and encouragement to continue, and continue I will. Promise;).

(Sung to the tune of 'Gilligan's Island' theme song)

"Sailing thru Disenchantment Bay to Hubbard's frigid face, Capt. Fred dodged floating bergie bits, slow and steady wins the race...slow and steady wins the race."

Hubbard Glacier Scenic Cruising - Today dawned clear and a bit cool (and about to get cooler as we neared the glacier's face). Up bright and early, despite the lack of a port day, I was roaming the decks and enjoying the watery sunshine as we sailed into Disenchantment Bay for our day in front of the mighty Hubbard Glacier. Personally, I prefer to Hubbard to even Glacier Bay simply due to its immense size. It is so impressive, particularly if you are a first time visitor as I was back in late Sept. of 2006. Back then, our captain manuevered the Oosterdam so close to the glacier's face that you really felt you could touch it. I remember spending the whole day on our balcony, sharing with friends the delights of calving after calving; so much so that folks were cheering, oohing, and aahing as tho witness to a spectacular fireworks display...only better! To hear and feel that ominous rumbling clear into your chest, right before massive hunks of ice splashed down into the bay is something I'll never forget. I've been to Hubbard Glacier 4 more times since that first 2006 trip, and only once did we not get close enough to really appreciate its immenseness (is that a word:rolleyes:?). Today, we would get quite close to the glacier but it was not as active as I've seen in the past. Still, it was impressive and as always, a delight to behold.

During the sail-in, we past a Celebrity ship, a huge behemouth that I am SO glad I was not on:D - those big guys just do not appeal to me. Was out on the secret deck as we passed, and spent a few moments waving and hooting and hollering to those aboard Celebrity - thanx for the welcome to Hubbard Glacier!

Michelle and I, along w/Donna and John, wandered the ship as we slowly spun in front of the glacier. Seeing the reactions of Donna and John as they viewed this huge chunk of ancient ice was priceless - it never fails to stir the emotions. The ice pack in the water served up views of resting sealions, flocks of gulls sqwauking at our intrusion, and a ring of mountains towering over the bay. It is truly a sight to behold.

Traditional Dutch pea soup was served in the Crow's Nest, and outside on decks 3 and 8 from 10:30AM-11AM - blink and you've missed it! While I did not partake, it looked delicious and folks really seemed to be enjoying it. A salmon bake was also held at the indoor pool on the Lido deck from 11:30AM-1:30PM, and that I did enjoy for some lunchtime repast.

As always, access to the bow was permitted for wonderful forward viewing and John in particular spent a great deal of time out there.

Michelle participated in the Slot Pull at 1:30PM, but alas, a big win was not to be on this trip. We did, however, see a woman shaking with excitement, tears pouring down her face, win over $8500.00 on a slot machine. How great is that?!?

Glad I brought my knit headband and gloves, I spent the entire time sailing out of Disenchantment Bay on the aft of deck 7, enjoying the peace and solitude with a delicious specialty coffee in hand to warm these old bones. We had our usual dinner in the Lido, then spent some time preparing our day packs for our visit to Sitka the next day. Sad that our last Alaska port was fast approaching, which meant this amazing cruise would soon be coming to an end. Sigh....where did the time go?

Went to the evening show to see Barnaby perform his comedic juggling show. Sad to learn from these boards just about a week ago, that he has since passed away.

This evening, I lingered on our balcony long into the Alaskan dusk, searing memories in my brain of this fantastic voyage that would soon be coming to an end. So looking forward to one of my favorite, unspoiled Alaskan ports, I eventually shuffled inside and off to dreamland on those oh-so-comfy HAL beds as we sailed toward Sitka thru the night.

AHHH, at last!! another wonderful description of Alaska seen through an Alaska Admirer, as I am also!! thanks!! ( I found you this time on my own!)