Can I make me a cup of coffee in my cabin in Century?

novice2014

First time cruisers. Is there any way one can make a cup of coffee or tea in the cabin? If not, how early can one order such a cup in the morning as room service? Is there a charge? Do you tip the server daily? About how much (just coffee). Also, may I pack my little travel iron to take out the wrinkles? Delux Balcony Cabin. Thanks much for any help.

Nope, you can't make coffee but there is 24 hour free room service. I would tip $1 for just coffee.

irons and steamers are specifically prohibited and some have reported having them confiscated at checkin.

Coffee is also available 24/7 at the buffet as are basic beverages like tea, hot chocolate, oj, and some type of punch.

Edited by CathyCruises

Also, may I pack my little travel iron to take out the wrinkles? Delux Balcony Cabin. Thanks much for any help.

No, irons are prohibited and you will likely have it confiscated.

I got off the Century a couple of weeks ago and it was the first time ever I saw a table out on deck laid out with everything that had been confiscated at the beginning of the cruise, with people's cabin #'s and contact information on them. I didn't see everything that had been taken away but there were several irons on that table.

First time cruisers. Is there any way one can make a cup of coffee or tea in the cabin? If not, how early can one order such a cup in the morning as room service? Is there a charge? Do you tip the server daily? About how much (just coffee). Also, may I pack my little travel iron to take out the wrinkles? Delux Balcony Cabin. Thanks much for any help.

no to both. room service will start 6/630 am for coffee and pastries. for just coffee, a dollar or two will suffice. you can get coffee pretty nearly 24/7 form the buffet. back in April DH would get up early to work out and on his way back bring me a coffee and a plate of croissants before 630 each morning. you can even leave the RS card out the night before specifying a time frame( after 6 am) and it will show up

clothes irons are flat out forbidden

no to both. room service will start 6/630 am for coffee and pastries. for just coffee, a dollar or two will suffice. you can get coffee pretty nearly 24/7 form the buffet. back in April DH would get up early to work out and on his way back bring me a coffee and a plate of croissants before 630 each morning. you can even leave the RS card out the night before specifying a time frame( after 6 am) and it will show up

clothes irons are flat out forbidden

This is not true. As mentioned above, room service is 24/7 except on debark day.

Edited by CathyCruises

Plus tipping a dollar or two is a personal preference and not required as you have or will autopay gratuity...some people tip room service and such extra...please this is for info only DO NOT RESPOND TO ME ABOUT TIPPING...there are plenty of threads on tipping!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

There is excellent (I mean excellent) expresso based drinks at Cova Café -- I think about $5 per cup. Not delivered but they will make them in to go cups and you can take it back to your room. If you have a drink package, they are included.

Yum, Yum....

And, as all have mentioned, absolutely no irons onboard ... pretty much for any and every cruise line. Fire at sea comes to mind as to why they are restricted.

Yes UK sailings have a kettle so I plan on taking instant coffee.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Sailed twice from UK, Southampton and Harwich, no kettle on either cruise.

Yes, you can make your own coffee. I have for many cruises. Take your own coffee, ground, of course. You place a standing order for a pot of hot water and coffee cups once you get on the cruise. You can either use a French press or a gravity drip on top of your cup. I found that a dollar tip wrapped around a mini chocolate bar every morning insured prompt delivery. They love those candy bars. You will have the best coffee on the ship! I have done this on Princess and Celebrity.

Plus tipping a dollar or two is a personal preference and not required as you have or will autopay gratuity...some people tip room service and such extra...please this is for info only DO NOT RESPOND TO ME ABOUT TIPPING...there are plenty of threads on tipping!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Room service is not covered under the daily charge. it is also one of this unwritten rules that you DO tip RS every time you use it.

There doesn't seem to be a definitive answer about the question of whether or not room service delivery personnel are covered under the daily charge or not.

For one thing, for those in suites, deliveries brought by butlers seem to be covered by the Daily service charge.

Sometimes the room service deliverers are in and out of the room so quickly there isn't time to find cash, unlike how it happens in most hotels.

Where are you sailing? celebrity departures from Southampton have kettles in the rooms so please give us more information. But your iron is not allowed on any itinerary

The title of the thread says Century. That ship doesn't sail out of Southampton I believe only Eclipse sails out of that port.

Room service is not covered under the daily charge. it is also one of this unwritten rules that you DO tip RS every time you use it.

Actually it is. I've confirmed this twice over the years with Celebrity via email. A portion of the daily auto gratuity is designated for "other service personnel". Here is a response I received from Celebrity last year responding as to whether room service is included in that category:

...When is comes to the Special Service personnel these are those who you don t necessarily see everyday, but who are a very important part of your cruise vacation Including but not limited to (Head of housekeeping, Room service staff, pool bar staff, bar, club, lounge staff.

It is basically placed in a pot to be distributed to those who you come in contact with but would not think of providing a tip to. Please remember you are always welcome to provide additional tips to those who you feel have really gone above and beyond and provided above average service. We are very excited for you to experience modern luxury on your upcoming sailings as well as many more to come.

Many people do tip the staff, room service or otherwise, extra and I am one who does as well. But there is no rule, unwritten or otherwise, that this must be done. It is purely up to the passenger and should be based on their own preferences and customs. As far as I'm concerned as long as you've paid the basic auto or prepaid gratuities you will not have stiffed any of the staff.

Edited by Lsimon