$50 per person admin fee

Wow. What a shock to learn after cruising 8 times with Carnival and they would not even waive their $50 per person admin fee to change our sail date form 4 Oct to 17 Oct on the Sunshine. What benefit do you have as a Gold member = 0. I recall a similar situation a few years back where we were booked on another ship going to San Juan. We received a letter in the mail stating the ship would not stop in San Juan as planned. I called an switched to the Dream sail date instead without an admin fee.

Not knowing the full story as to why you are currently changing ships, I have to go on an assumption.

Last time, Carnival changed the itenerary of the cruise and allowed you to make a change at no charge.

This time, Carnival has made no changes, you just want to change ships,,,, therefore,,, you get to pay the change fee.

Then again, policies and procedures change. It's progress. What happened last year, has no reflection on what happens this year.

Wow. What a shock to learn after cruising 8 times with Carnival and they would not even waive their $50 per person admin fee to change our sail date form 4 Oct to 17 Oct on the Sunshine. What benefit do you have as a Gold member = 0. I recall a similar situation a few years back where we were booked on another ship going to San Juan. We received a letter in the mail stating the ship would not stop in San Juan as planned. I called an switched to the Dream sail date instead without an admin fee.

Their sail contract is pretty clear. If it makes you feel any better, if you were a Platinum or Diamond member, the answer would be the same.

Something everyone needs to understand, you don't change dates, you cancel and book another. I had this happen last year when I needed to change 8 passengers on the family cruise. ($400) Much more palatable then the $1200 in airline change fees.

Not directed at the OP but another issue that keeps coming up is those that don't book ES but want the benefits. I know Carnival has too many fare codes and it is difficult to understand them. But bottom line when we book we agreed to the rules and regs. Sorry for the hijack and vent.

Doesn't have anything to do with what VIFP level you are, they are not obligated to waive the fees. They will do it as a courtesy sometimes with this and other issues. Depends who you speak with. I changed sailing dates and ships and they waived the fees without even asking. They rep said hold on and let me see if I can get these penalty fees waived for you, put me on hold, and did it. There's no guarantee I would have had the same result if I spoke to someone else. Call back and talk to someone else calmly. No need to mention the color of your s&s card.;)

Did Carnival make a change in your cruise/itinerary? Is that the reason you want to change ships? If not, I think the fare rules should apply.

I am platinum and booked early saver. I changed ships knowing I would be charged $50 per person.

Before you book a certain fare you should read all the restrictions that apply to that fare. It is clearly written IMHO.

No matter how many times you fly on an airline, they also charge you a fee if you change flights. I would expect a cruise to be the same.

They probably implemented this because people booked hit & miss knowing they could just switch or change later if they wanted. What a mess that would be with cabin availability, etc .

Their sail contract is pretty clear. If it makes you feel any better, if you were a Platinum or Diamond member, the answer would be the same.

This change fee is CLEARLY noted in the booking contract. So, you seem to think you are special and this should be an "exception" for you? Sorry, no.

Perhaps martinhughes1 thought there might be some 'wiggle room' in the situation, and decided to ask . . . and then was disappointed to hear the answer No.

I personally don't think there was any harm in asking for consideration of a fee waiver, despite the "Clear" (your words, not mine) instruction as follows in the current booking process:

Offer is capacity controlled and is not combinable with any other discount or promotional offer. Rates may vary by ship, stateroom type and sail date. $50 per person non-refundable deposit is applicable to sailings outside of final payment due date and it is valid for all ships, stateroom types and sail dates. Changes made to the reservation may result in the assessment of cancellation penalties or service fees. Category restrictions and exclusions apply. Minimum purchase of category 4A required. Cancellation penalties apply. Offer is applicable on sailings that depart between August and November 2014. Offer does not apply to Carnival Australia sailings. Offer is applicable on new bookings made between June 16 and June 22, 2014 EST

The word "may" does seem to offer a wee bit of chance.

Heck the process declares a 4A minimum, yet still allowed for a 1A to be booked with the special arrangement. There's always a chance the answer won't always be No.

Pretty sure that the OP booked Early Saver, and now would like to change the booking. Unfortunately, the early saver fare is quite restrictive, but does come with other benefits like getting price drops almost to the point of sailing. However, no changes are permitted without paying the $50 per person fee.

Of course, if there is a change on Carnival's part, then the fee might be waived. But I would not expect them to waive the fee for customer initiated changes, regardless of how many times they have sailed.

This change fee is CLEARLY noted in the booking contract. So, you seem to think you are special and this should be an "exception" for you? Sorry, no.

Clearly written or not, there are always exceptions at times. Why, I don't know, but this comes up a lot when the "exception" pertains to someone not purchasing insurance but manages to be that "exception". Not fair to the rest of us, but it does happen.

Just curious....is there an itinerary change for the Oct 4th sailing?

Previous cruise, not the one OP wants to change.

That's the problem it was waived once so it should be waived again.

Previous cruise, not the one OP wants to change.

That's the problem it was waived once so it should be waived again.

It was waived before because of itinerary change caused by Carnival. This change is for personal reasons. Not the same thing.

It was waived before because of itinerary change caused by Carnival. This change is for personal reasons. Not the same thing.

I understand that. But it's the 'mentality' of the thing - It was changed once so why not again. OP states this in the first post.

(I see the difference but it's that 'mentality' thing. )

Clearly written or not, there are always exceptions at times. Why, I don't know, but this comes up a lot when the "exception" pertains to someone not purchasing insurance but manages to be that "exception". Not fair to the rest of us, but it does happen.

This poster expected an "exception". The OP writes shocked and seems to think Gold is a big deal. Every cruise I am on, there are hundreds of platinum cruisers. It isn't difficult to get and a lot of people qualify.

You could have cruised 108 times. Makes no difference. You booked early saver and knew (or should have) that there is a $50pp fee to change ship and or dates.

Doesn't matter if you are Gold or not. You would have gotten the same answer no matter what you status is. The only time the fee would be waived is if Carnival changed the itinerary and you wanted to change ships or dates due to the change.

Why do you think you deserve a waiver? Just because you cruised eight times doesn't make you any more special than the first time cruiser!! Do you get a $50 discount every time you go to the same grocery store? Probably not!! That's just business!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums