Shareholder Benefits?

Pocketjem

All of the cruise lines under the CarnivalCorp. umbrella, though prices per day vary with itinerary and dates.

And, not to be too picky, but they are benefits, not dividends. Dividends are taxable.

RCI does pay a dividend quarterly to its shareholders, fairly regularly which is nice. I got one a month or so ago.

As to its taxability, that would be determined based on the type of account it was put into, some retirement accounts would allow it to go in tax free, standard accounts or payment to an individual, would generally be taxed based on ones particular tax return at the e d of the year.

I was very happy to buy my shares 100 shares before my January 2013 cruise. The dividends are nice. I have only been on the one cruise, but I had prepaid gratuities and an obc plus the stockholder obc. One happy camper! Now I'm hoping for a stock split.

I thought I was taking a risk back when....

Interesting comments and thoughts on this thread. I agree that the value of being a stockholder has been minimalized in the last few years as most cruises have some sort of perk attached that is .non-combinable with the shareholder credit.

Although the stock in RCL has done well recently, there is risk involved if the stock market decides to take another nosedive a la 2008. The 1.8% yield is nice but approx. 1/3 below what you can get for relatively low risk companies like T or VZ. So with the risk, low dividends and few chances for combining for OBCs........we now hold only a minimum of 100 shares in an IRA account vs. well over 500 we had in previous years.

If the parent company would reinstitute a more liberal policy for combining shareholder credit based on an elevated holding of a minimum number of shares (e.g., 500 mentioned earlier) we would certainly be interested.

Edited by OBX-Cruisers

I had to really push to get my shareholder credit for a recent cruise. We had declined the 1-2-3 package in order to get the credit since we had our gratuities paid by our TA. Why???? Because Celebrity claimed that we had booked a group rate. We finally got it worked out with the help of the Captain's Club rep. but it was frustrating and our former TA was of no help. She never fessed up to booking us in a group rate after being asked and the cruise fare was the same as booking directly. She will not get future bookings.

I initially paid about $23 per share and have enjoyed the benefits for years. I won't sell until we can no longer sail. The shareholder credits have surpassed the initial cost of the stock.

Each cruise booking must be evaluated for the ultimate benefits.

The non combinable feature does play a part in whether we book with Princess or RCI. We are elite on both and find Princess has always let us combine shareholder's with all other OBCs. The balcony discount doesn't usually make that much difference.

RCI does pay a dividend quarterly to its shareholders, fairly regularly which is nice. I got one a month or so ago.

As to its taxability, that would be determined based on the type of account it was put into, some retirement accounts would allow it to go in tax free, standard accounts or payment to an individual, would generally be taxed based on ones particular tax return at the e d of the year.

I think the taxability question was if we received something like Michael's Club access for a cruise, due to being shareholders.

I think it's kind of like the worrisome issue of whether frequent flyer miles are taxable when we are doing work for something and thereby receiving our airline ticket paid by the employer.

We have enjoyed shareholder shipboard credits many times -- in fact, every time except once, when we were told we were on a group booking. I did not question that, and I had carefully chosen paid gratuities and beverage package in order not to jeapardize the shareholder credit. I'm glad you persevered, alpca1. Good job!

It won't surprise anybody to know that I only found out about shareholder credit from becoming a regular here at CC.com. Then we bought the stock and it went up more than the value of the credit, so we sold. Imagine Mr. B.'s embarrassment when it went higher. And higher. And higher.

Long may it wave -- b/c it'll mean lots of happy cruisers. Hope it includes Mr. B. and me for a long time, too.

Edited by May B

I used to commend this scheme - not now.

In recent months I have had

* a request for OBC declined because I did not ask for it two weeks before the cruise - well I did not know two weeks before the Celebrity cruise that the Azamara cruise I was booked on would be cancelled by the cruise line and I was on Celebrity as a last minute transfer

* a request for OBC declined because I was booked on a group rate (it subsequently has transpired I was not

*today an email arrived three spelling mistakes in it saying they now will not accept the evidence I have always send in showing ownership and wanting sight of a summary of my portfolio account -

It is now a scheme that seems to employ people to come up with reasons to decline requests. In due course, I will be selling my holding, I have done well with the investment return on it anyway

I used to commend this scheme - not now.

In recent months I have had

* a request for OBC declined because I did not ask for it two weeks before the cruise - well I did not know two weeks before the Celebrity cruise that the Azamara cruise I was booked on would be cancelled by the cruise line and I was on Celebrity as a last minute transfer

Did you have the shareholder credit in place for the AZ cruise? if so, then I would have driven this right up the flagpole and insisted, especially for being displaced. If it wasn't on your AZ reservation, I'd see their point. Also make sure you hadn't been given any other OBC or perk on X that "trumped" the Shareholder credit which is not combinable - even if the perk was a goodwill gesture for the displacement.

* a request for OBC declined because I was booked on a group rate (it subsequently has transpired I was not

Again, this would have been run right up the flagpole and insisted. If it was booked by a TA, how can one know for sure they were or were not under a group rate? I read another thread elsewhere today where this was actually an issue, TA lied and never fessed up about the group part. That poster has since changed TA's.

*today an email arrived three spelling mistakes in it saying they now will not accept the evidence I have always send in showing ownership and wanting sight of a summary of my portfolio account -

They know holdings can change, daily even. I have no issue with them wanting current proof of holdings, for all they know someone could have bought today got a confirmation/statement and then sold, and continued to use the old statement showing ownership, when they in fact no longer own. We should be glad they don't require proof once we board to ensure we STILL own when we cruise (which is in fact part of the T&C's they don't seem to enforce)

It's really no secret the shareholder credit is a bottom of the barrel, last minute useful tool, for when we have no other options for a perk or OBC. It's real value is only to last minute bookers as far as I see with the proliferation of the 123 programs. They don't make any qualms about it when you read about the perk and its T&C's on the shareholder website:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=103045&p=irol-shareholderbenefit

Pertinent parts to this discussion are captioned below:

How do I redeem this benefit?

Provide your name, address, confirmation number, ship and sailing date along with a
copy of your shareholder proxy card or a
current
brokerage statement showing proof of share ownership in Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd.
All shareholder onboard credit requests
must be received approximately 2 -3 weeks prior to sail date
. Via Mail: RCL Investor Benefit, PO Box 025511, Miami, Florida 33102-5511 Via Fax: 1-305-373-6699 Via Email:

Can this benefit be combined with other offers, onboard credits and coupons?

The benefit is NOT available to company employees, travel agents, tour conductors and/or others utilizing complimentary or
reduced-rate cruise fares
. Benefit is not combinable when using inter-line rates or onboard chartered sailings.

Are there any restrictions?

Benefit is non-transferable and not available to employees, agents of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. or its subsidiaries and affiliates, travel agents and tour operators.
Benefit is not combinable with other onboard credit offers, general loyalty offers, “dollars off/wave” promotions, savings certificates,
onboard chartered sailings,
certain group sailings, certain price programs or bookings made at a reduced rate
or travel agent rate.
Shareholders have the option to choose between the shareholder benefit or the other offer.
The Shareholder must own the Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. stock at time of sailing.
Onboard credit is calculated in US dollars except on sailings where the onboard currency used is a foreign currency (in which case the onboard credit will be converted at a currency exchange rate determined by the cruise line) and is not redeemable for cash. Certificate value credited to onboard account at time of sailing. Any unused credit shall be forfeited. Credit is applied on a per stateroom basis; double occupancy. Single guests paying 200% of applicable fare shall receive full value of certificate. Only one shareholder credit per stateroom. Only one credit per shareholder on any one sailing. If you are requesting shareholder onboard credit for two or more separate cabins and shares are held jointly, a minimum of 100 shares per cabin booked must be held. Other terms and conditions may apply.

Combinability?

Please note that as of December 31, 2008, the shareholder benefit offer is not combinable with other onboard credit offers, general loyalty offers, upgrade offers, chartered sailings, certain group sailings, "dollars off/wave" promotional offers, certain price programs, reservations made on a reduced rate
/travel agent rate/inter-line rate and savings certificates. For bookings made prior to December 31, 2008, the Shareholder Onboard Credit is combinable under certain conditions. Please direct queries to
nd a prompt response will be forthcoming.

If the Stockholders credit can also be combined with the OBC you receive for booking on board. Also received the one catagory upgrade because we are Elite. This is a Transatlantic so no 123 offers. Thanks for any answers. Kathryn

Did you have the shareholder credit in place for the AZ cruise?

In answer to your questions (yes I do know all the rules)

a. Yes a credit was in place for the Azamara cruise we asked for that to be transferred from one 14 night $250 to 2 x $100 as we had two weeks 7 nights each back to back we just gave up with the argument we were so tired after all that had happened

b. re the second booking the agent has confirmed, and I believe them, there was no special rate in place, and we have every reason to believe them - again we gave up it was a $100 7 night benefit and we had a lot else to contend with personally at the end of the cruise (nothing to do with the cruise which was excellent)

As regards proving I still hold the shares, they have always accepted the proof of ownership documents I have sent to date (these shares are held in the UK so proof is different) now they do not. To get what they want will cost me time as I redact a document to remove other personal information or money if I am to ask the bank to provide a letter

We have had no issues for 9 years, we know the rules, we just note a total change of attitude by those administering the process. As I say, will probably sell very soon anyway, I have some other ideas for that part of my portfolio where there is good recognition in perks as well as dividend prospects

Edited by uktog

As regards proving I still hold the shares, they have always accepted the proof of ownership documents I have sent to date (these shares are held in the UK so proof is different) now they do not. To get what they want will cost me time as I redact a document to remove other personal information or money if I am to ask the bank to provide a letter

Can you clarify what proof they are now requiring for UK-based shareholders, please? I have always sent a copy of the original letter from our brokers confirming that we purchased the shares plus a screen print of our current online statements. It took me a long time to get them to accept that this was acceptable proof. If this is no longer acceptable, it is yet another reason tosell the shares as soon as we have completed our transpacific.

Sue

I will post what they are actually now looking for once I find out as that was approx. what we were sending although there are "holding account" issues. The level of redacting I had to do was also crazy but I jumped through these hoops before. I am extremely cautious about personal data relating to finances - although in light of a letter yesterday from Celebrity I believe I have even more to concern myself about in relation to their UK personal data security.

Back to the subject in question, re the shareholder benefit, the unsigned email I received did not make me feel valued either as a shareholder or a customer.

I fully understand the posts others are making about business drivers, bottom line etc etc but more engaging emails with a named person sending them and correct spelling throughout costs nothing

I too feel a sale coming on

Edited by uktog

Sue

I will post what they are actually now looking for once I find out as that was approx. what we were sending although there are "holding account" issues. The level of redacting I had to do was also crazy but I jumped through these hoops before. I am extremely cautious about personal data relating to finances - although in light of a letter yesterday from Celebrity I believe I have even more to concern myself about in relation to their UK personal data security.

Back to the subject in question, re the shareholder benefit, the unsigned email I received did not make me feel valued either as a shareholder or a customer.

I fully understand the posts others are making about business drivers, bottom line etc etc but more engaging emails with a named person sending them and correct spelling throughout costs nothing

I too feel a sale coming on

I wish I had not asked. You are just depressing me even more about Celebrity in the UK. Now you are worrying me about their data security. Up until your reply, my primary concern was that it is now easier to contact Miami and get a response than anyone in the UK - anyone. I gave up trying to contact a named person in the UK some months ago and why do we have to pay for calls in the UK when the US have a Freephone number?

As customer service generally in the UK is improving now that companies are adopting the better aspects of modern technology, Celebrity in the UK seem to believe that they can provide a greatly reduced service and keep their customers.

Jem

In theory, you can get up to US$250 OBC per cruise but this is increasingly not combinable with other offers. Other offers are so frequent now that that there is very little chance of being able to take advantage of the shareholder benefit.

We did buy the shares in 2008 and they have been very beneficial for us BUT we purchased them when the share price was much lower than now and the exchange rate was much higher. If we sold the shares today [at today's price AND exchange rate] we would have made almost £2,000 and, in addition, we have received almost £1,000 in OBC including OBC for a cruise we have not yet taken.

I am certainly considering selling the shares once we have taken that cruise and the price and exchange rate are both favourable again because it does not look like we will get much more benefits.

I think that it may be easier now but, when we purchased the shares, it was extremely difficult to do so in the UK. Because of the way we had to purchase them we do NOT get dividends and the costs of keeping a share account are high. If you have a large share portfolio, it may be more viable for you but, otherwise, I think it would be a gamble at the current share price and exchange rate.

I took a Celebrity cruise (14 days) in March and had $500 in OBC from my TA. After I booked, I applied and received approval for the $250 OBC for a total of $750 OBC. When I was on board, I noticed that I had only received a $550 credit. When I went to the front desk, they said that the TA only gave me $300 OBC even though on the booking and the promotion showed $500. Celebrity was wrong on the explanation and I found out that on Shareholder credits are combined with the TA's given OBC. I will not cruise on RCL cruise lines any more and only travel on the Carnival owned cruise lines (Princess, HAL and Carnival) and NCL, that will give you the full S/H OBC. You would think that RCL lines would give the full S/H OBC instead of screwing their S/H's that want to take the advantage of the S/H credit. I will never cruise on any of the RCL owned cruise lines and ships from now on with their shortsighted policy.

I took a Celebrity cruise (14 days) in March and had $500 in OBC from my TA. After I booked, I applied and received approval for the $250 OBC for a total of $750 OBC. When I was on board, I noticed that I had only received a $550 credit. When I went to the front desk, they said that the TA only gave me $300 OBC even though on the booking and the promotion showed $500. Celebrity was wrong on the explanation and I found out that on Shareholder credits are combined with the TA's given OBC. I will not cruise on RCL cruise lines any more and only travel on the Carnival owned cruise lines (Princess, HAL and Carnival) and NCL, that will give you the full S/H OBC. You would think that RCL lines would give the full S/H OBC instead of screwing their S/H's that want to take the advantage of the S/H credit. I will never cruise on any of the RCL owned cruise lines and ships from now on with their shortsighted policy.

You said that Celebrity told you that it was the TA that gave you less than the promised amount. Did you ask your TA about it? Did you ask to call your TA while on the ship? I've had to call a TA several times from a ship and Celebrity always made and paid for the call. Celebrity only credits what they actually receive from the TA. Very, very possible that the fault is with your TA. Have you had any follow up with your TA? What have they told you? Enjoy future cruises with whatever line you take. I can assure you that whomever takes the cabin you're not booking with Celebrity will enjoy their cruise.

You said that Celebrity told you that it was the TA that gave you less than the promised amount. Did you ask your TA about it? Did you ask to call your TA while on the ship? I've had to call a TA several times from a ship and Celebrity always made and paid for the call. Celebrity only credits what they actually receive from the TA. Very, very possible that the fault is with your TA. Have you had any follow up with your TA? What have they told you? Enjoy future cruises with whatever line you take. I can assure you that whomever takes the cabin you're not booking with Celebrity will enjoy their cruise.

You sound like you work for Celebrity. I did contact my TA and after extensive research and time with Celebrity, they said that the S/H OBC as part of Celebrity's policy was combined with the other OBC's given by the TA, thus the $200 reduction in OBC's. Again, with the policy of RCL, S/H OBC is almost worthless. They screw their shareholders even when Celebrity approve the $250 Shareholder credit and gave me only $50 OBC of the approved $250 Shareholder credit.

You sound like you work for Celebrity. I did contact my TA and after extensive research and time with Celebrity, they said that the S/H OBC as part of Celebrity's policy was combined with the other OBC's given by the TA, thus the $200 reduction in OBC's. Again, with the policy of RCL, S/H OBC is almost worthless. They screw their shareholders even when Celebrity approve the $250 Shareholder credit and gave me only $50 OBC of the approved $250 Shareholder credit.

I don't and never have. Never even played a Captain on TV. However, if I would be in a position of influence I would: (1) Fix the Website;(2) Improve customer service by hiring more good staff and provide stronger training; (3) Review all ship board policies and eliminate inconsistency in enforcement from cruise to cruise and ship to ship. My second week I would ....

I have never heard of another case where Celebrity only gave part of a shareholder credit. It's an all or nothing thing! Something is wrong somewhere. I just don't know where.

Edited by Orator

Never even played a Captain on TV.

Again, with the policy of RCL, S/H OBC is almost worthless. They screw their shareholders.

15 night cruise on Reflection for $449pp with $250 shareholder OBC.

15 night cruise on Silhouette for $599pp with $250 shareholder OBC... PLUS $100 OBC from agent.

15 night cruise on Constellation for $609pp with $250 shareholder OBC... PLUS $150 OBC from agent.

Don't stop. :o DON'T STOP :p *D*O*N*T* *S*T*O*P* :eek: :D ;)

Edited by teecee60

I have never heard of another case where Celebrity only gave part of a shareholder credit. It's an all or nothing thing! Something is wrong somewhere. I just don't know where.

It must be that part of the TA's OBC was funded by Celebrity. My understanding is that this happens with some AmEx cards or AmEx benefits. We have definitely received the full shareholder OBC's every time we qualify and we always have an OBC or free gratuities from our TA.

I would go back to the TA and make them explain why their OBC had any effect on the shareholder credit if they told you the OBC was from the TA.

the statement: they said that the S/H OBC as part of Celebrity's policy was combined with the other OBC's given by the TA, thus the $200 reduction in OBC's. sounds like a random policy made up to answer your question. I've never seen anything like that in print, nor has it ever happened to us (just for the record: we're elite plus so we've sailed quite often).

Edited by ghstudio

ghstudio's explanation probably nailed it. We've done 13 cruises with =X= and have had TA OBC on each, shareholder benefit on some. Never had either reduced because of the other.

Recent stats: Constellation TA Miami to Harwich in late April this year: Fare was $819 (balcony/military rate), OBC from TA was $150, shareholder credit was $200. Bottom line was $39.08 pp/per night, excluding taxes and fees. No complaints.

Betsy

I've only had once Celebrity Cruise, but I received the $300 obc from my TA and the $250? or whatever it was from Celebrity for a 15 day cruise. No complaints.

We just booked another Celebrity Cruise. A took the drink package from Celebrity and took the prepaid grats from my TA. Hopefully that will mean an OBC from Celebrity - although my TA called back and offered me a $300 OBC with their July 4th sale!

I'll let you know in 18 months how it turns out :-)

But, buyer beware. There are so my threads about the stock holder obc. Owning stock is a gamble in it's own right. Feel free to sell and not be aggravated by the whole matter. Read the rules. Read what Cruise Critic says (some with a grain of salt because you don't know both sides of the story) and be happy you're cruising.

We sailed recently on azamara and they did allow is to combine....but i have really only been able to use it a few times since i bought the stock....i bought low so no complaints...any time we can use it is a bonus