Regal Princess 17 Day Mediterranean/Aegean Grand Adventure Review

cruisequeen4ever

Thank you all for you very encouraging compliments! It's been fun interacting with you, Anteaters, throughout the blog. :-) We don't know where we will cruise next, but as long as we are on a Princess ship sailing somewhere, I'll be happy as a clam! :-)

Our cruise arrived into Venice at 1:00 PM just like yours will. Here's a schedule based on ours.

11:15 Enter the Venice islands area- starting scenic sailing

11:45 DO NOT MISS- scenic sailing right past San Marcos Square

12:25 or so Enter port area

1:00 Docked and ready for pax to disembark for the afternoon

Starboard side is the side for viewing sail in!

Once you get off the ship, it's a shorter walk to the Princess water shuttle than to the People Mover. I could see the People Mover in the distance but don't know exactly how far people had to walk. I could just see various pax heading out of the port and disappeared out of sight. It's my understanding that from the People Mover, you still have to transfer to a Vaporetto to get into the heart of Venice. With that, you're crammed in and make stops along the way. I really recommend taking the Princess water shuttle to maximize your time and because it's the most convenient option. The walk length depends on which berth the dock is at that day. We docked in 2 different berths. The furthest one away was lonnnnnnnnnnng, but on the return we had a better dock, and it was about a 5 minute walk. The water shuttle ride is about 15 minutes, and they run constantly, so you can come back and forth as you please.

You can buy your water shuttle tickets Onboard early; they're for sale at the Shore Excursion desk beginning a few days before arrival into Venice. The price varies they said based on the sailing. For us, it was $25 for the overnight and gave us access to the shuttle both days. No luggage is allowed on the water shuttle, though. Look for the announcement of ticket sales in the Princess Patter.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thank you all for you very encouraging compliments! It's been fun interacting with you, Anteaters, throughout the blog. :-) We don't know where we will cruise next, but as long as we are on a Princess ship sailing somewhere, I'll be happy as a clam! :-)

Our cruise arrived into Venice at 1:00 PM just like yours will. Here's a schedule based on ours.

11:15 Enter the Venice islands area- starting scenic sailing

11:45 DO NOT MISS- scenic sailing right past San Marcos Square

12:25 or so Enter port area

1:00 Docked and ready for pax to disembark for the afternoon

Starboard side is the side for viewing sail in!

Once you get off the ship, it's a shorter walk to the Princess water shuttle than to the People Mover. I could see the People Mover in the distance but don't know exactly how far people had to walk. I could just see various pax heading out of the port and disappeared out of sight. It's my understanding that from the People Mover, you still have to transfer to a Vaporetto to get into the heart of Venice. With that, you're crammed in and make stops along the way. I really recommend taking the Princess water shuttle to maximize your time and because it's the most convenient option. The walk length depends on which berth the dock is at that day. We docked in 2 different berths. The furthest one away was lonnnnnnnnnnng, but on the return we had a better dock, and it was about a 5 minute walk. The water shuttle ride is about 15 minutes, and they run constantly, so you can come back and forth as you please.

You can buy your water shuttle tickets Onboard early; they're for sale at the Shore Excursion desk beginning a few days before arrival into Venice. The price varies they said based on the sailing. For us, it was $25 for the overnight and gave us access to the shuttle both days. No luggage is allowed on the water shuttle, though. Look for the announcement of ticket sales in the Princess Patter.

Thanks! You have been a huge influence on our coming trip. I'll now cross off People Mover and do the water shuttle instead to make the best use of our time--plus, I really do enjoy being on water.

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel

Click the above link to take you to the CDC's Traveler's Health website. You type in each place you're visiting, and it tells you whether or not you need vaccinations for that country. All places were fine (on our itinerary at least), except Turkey. It said to get Hep A and B series if eating in Turkey.

Thank You so much cruisequeen4ever, very interesting. Wow, I had no idea:eek:

Since you were there two times and I believe used two kinds of transportation, which would be the best way of us getting into Venice from Princess and then back to the ship (we don't arrive until about 1:00 and do an overnight there before disembarkation so really only have the afternoon/early evening to tour)? But between the PeopleMover (how far do we walk to reach it from the ship coming/going) and the water shuttle that Princess sold tickets to on your last day, is there a preference in terms of ease, fun, and cost?

Yes, the Princess Vaporetto is the quickest way to get to St. Marks Square.

However, if you have never been to Venice before I highly suggest the regular Vaporetto that goes down the Grand Canal. Yes, it does take longer, but you are seeing one of the best views of Venice.

To take that Vaporetto, take the People Mover (about 1 block from port entrance) to Piazzale Roma, walk across the Piazzale and catch the Vaporetto. There are two that take the same route (#1 and #2). One makes half the stops than the other and thus takes half as long over the same historic route. (I forget which one is the "express.")

For quickness, use the Princess Vaporetto the other times, but a visit to Venice is not complete for a first timer without traveling the Grand Canal.

Yes, the Princess Vaporetto is the quickest way to get to St. Marks Square.

However, if you have never been to Venice before I highly suggest the regular Vaporetto that goes down the Grand Canal. Yes, it does take longer, but you are seeing one of the best views of Venice... For quickness, use the Princess Vaporetto the other times, but a visit to Venice is not complete for a first timer without traveling the Grand Canal.

I agree and wouldn't miss taking the vaporetto along the Grand Canal in at least one direction to San Marco Square. We take the PeopleMover, walk to San Marco (amazing sights, getting a bit lost and having fun) and ride the vaporetto back along the Grand Canal at night (try to sit outside at the back) when we're tired of walking. We used the ship's shuttle once, on our first visit, but prefer our plan as otherwise we would miss everything in between. If you're not a great walker or want to spend most of your time at San Marco, the ship's water shuttle provides great service (and is also more expensive, BTW). If you don't want to use the tickets found in your cabin, you need to turn them in to the desk by a certain time or you will charged for them anyway.

OP, all that writing with two fingers on a phone?!:eek: Another reason why you're amazing!

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel

Click the above link to take you to the CDC's Traveler's Health website. You type in each place you're visiting, and it tells you whether or not you need vaccinations for that country. All places were fine (on our itinerary at least), except Turkey. It said to get Hep A and B series if eating in Turkey.

It says literally the same thing re Hep A for every single country, including the U.S. And B is sexually transmitted or via needles, not through food. All travelers should have up-to-date vaccinations for both routinely, no matter where they go, but that doesn't mean there are active pathogens lurking in every bazaar stall. (In fact, if both Heps weren't endemic to the US, why would so many universities require the hepatitis vaccines for new students?)

Fear-based travel causes one to miss so much.

So much to think about and consider! When I think about our first cruise, to Hawaii right after I retired....All we did was book the cruise with another couple through Princess, look through the Princess excursions and quickly chose one for each Hawaiian port, and then did nothing more until the day we got on the ship. And now, I spend so many hours finding interesting information and then deliberating over everything for weeks pre-cruise. But, I must admit that when I'm not stressing over making the choices and changing my mind, it is more fun to feel like I'm making better selections with the help of my research and other people's shared experiences. So, I'm glad that I found CC!

To take that Vaporetto, take the People Mover (about 1 block from port entrance) to Piazzale Roma, walk across the Piazzale and catch the Vaporetto. There are two that take the same route (#1 and #2). One makes half the stops than the other and thus takes half as long over the same historic route. (I forget which one is the "express.")

For quickness, use the Princess Vaporetto the other times, but a visit to Venice is not complete for a first timer without traveling the Grand Canal.

#1 is the local, #2 is the express

Hi there,

I just wanted to thank you again for posting this, to help we soon to be sailors plan and get ideas, I find these sorts of things help me think outside the box and know if my ideas have sound back up! LOL

It is especially nice to hear about Ephesus, because you did not have such a great time there, and I wondered if in hind sight would you have done something else if you had a do over?

My personal dilemma is going to be balancing ruins days with other things for my dear hubby and my son and DIL.

Nancy

It is especially nice to hear about Ephesus, because you did not have such a great time there, and I wondered if in hind sight would you have done something else if you had a do over?

If you have never been to Ephesus, it is a "must see." Be sure to take a tour that includes the Terrace Houses.

If you do not take a Princess tour, check Cruise Critic posts for recommended independent excursions.

It says literally the same thing re Hep A for every single country, including the U.S. And B is sexually transmitted or via needles, not through food. All travelers should have up-to-date vaccinations for both routinely, no matter where they go, but that doesn't mean there are active pathogens lurking in every bazaar stall. (In fact, if both Heps weren't endemic to the US, why would so many universities require the hepatitis vaccines for new students?)

Fear-based travel causes one to miss so much.

I don't call it being fearful; I call it being careful and wise. To each his own, though. :-) Our warning months ago said to either avoid food in Turkey or get the Hep vaccines.

Hi there,

I just wanted to thank you again for posting this, to help we soon to be sailors plan and get ideas, I find these sorts of things help me think outside the box and know if my ideas have sound back up! LOL

My personal dilemma is going to be balancing ruins days with other things for my dear hubby and my son and DIL.

Nancy

I'm sorry; I will clarify. We thoroughly enjoyed the tour of Ephesus and highly recommend you do it once. We did not like Turkey, though and will just stay on the ship next time.

Thank you, thank you, thank you...one of best written reviews I have read

in a while, (one plus is that it wasn't "hijacked" , like most are!

We will be on the Regal in Feb. For our yearly get way from the snow cruise, and those are mainly enjoy the ship cruises. However we have been planning this same cruise as our Anniversary cruise for 2017, so I have taken May notes and added then to my folder. Unfortunately The Venice experience will be somewhat different than yours because of the NO big boat change. Thanks again and see you somewhere on the sea!

Harry

Thank you, thank you, thank you...one of best written reviews I have read

in a while, (one plus is that it wasn't "hijacked" , like most are!

We will be on the Regal in Feb. For our yearly get way from the snow cruise, and those are mainly enjoy the ship cruises. However we have been planning this same cruise as our Anniversary cruise for 2017, so I have taken May notes and added then to my folder. Unfortunately The Venice experience will be somewhat different than yours because of the NO big boat change. Thanks again and see you somewhere on the sea!

Harry

Thank you, Harry! :-)

You and your wife will have a fantastic time! Enjoy your continued escapes from the snow, too! I wish we could cruise in the winter sometimes, too, but with teaching, it's difficult.

I really enjoyed your review of the ship and the tours, wonderful job of sharing. DH and I will cruise on it in Sept. looking forward to that. The Port of Toulon is new to me. It seems like from the threads and your info the way to explore

this area is to take a tour outside of the city. I will continue to check out various

Travel sites and read up on Toulon.:)

Great review, thank you. I'll be on the Regal in a couple years :eek: and am happy that the negative issues you experienced didn't ruin the cruise for you. Hopefully the staff will have been trained a little better by 2016 :D