4 young adults in stateroom

LaraTiara

I would have jumped at something like that in my youth and would definitely have wanted to use the extra $ for excursions or specialty dining. If they are down to earth and have a good sense of humor, they will have a blast. When they were in their teens, we took my two daughters and a friend on a cruise. When the need for a bathroom or more primping room arose, one of them just came to my cabin.

College aged kids don't give a fig where they are....they will sleep on a floor...in a shower, car...they don't care. It's fine.

I slept many nights back then on the floor and did not think a thing about it.

• 3 months later...

Just a little update on this topic: The ladies all have randomly texted or asked me the countdown to our cruise. It's probably inspiring them along as they are all deep into their respective semester studies. No mention of sharing a cabin! Just about meals and excursions ;)

Our 2 daughters & 2 (female) friends went on several cruises together -- sharing an inside cabin made it affordable for them. And they are STILL all friends :D They also made a point of dressing up every night! Somehow they worked out a shower schedule but otherwise were in the cabin only to sleep...

Just a little update on this topic: The ladies all have randomly texted or asked me the countdown to our cruise. It's probably inspiring them along as they are all deep into their respective semester studies. No mention of sharing a cabin! Just about meals and excursions ;)

If they are in college, they are used to it and will be fine. It is amazing what college students will do to go somewhere - they will do anything that will save them money!

Try to get them to pack light, with suitcases that aren't too deep so they can slide under the beds. Greatly helps with clutter control as there are not enough drawers etc for 4 in the staterooms. Also bring extra hangers.

I did a cruise with 3 other women from work and it was hysterical every time the steward knocked on the door. He would stand in the door with this deer in the headlights look on his face, standing perfectly still while his eyes rolled around as he viewed the mess. It was a carnival cruise so there were some humorous towel animals related to the clutter. He still managed to get the beds made and turned down, and the bathroom cleaned. He got a nice tip.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We did this once with my daughter and her 3 cousins. Ended up my daughter came to our cabin to shower and change. The 3 cousins were fine as they were used to battling it out at home for shower time. It really wasn't an inconvenience at all. My daughter was quick because she wanted to get back to the cabin with the girls so she didn't "miss" anything.

Definitely check out the showers in the spa area. If they can coordinate some things so they don't duplicate items 4 ways it would be great. Also, a make up mirror for the desk area, and an outlet expander or two will be helpful.

We take plastic trash bags (kitchen size) with drawstrings to manage dirty laundry. Also handy if you have to pack wet or damp items on that last day.

Clothespins will be especially useful, as their challenge may be getting bathing suits and the like to dry over night. We can just toss them over the clothes line in the shower, but with so many things to get dry, clothes pins may expand the space.

We pack wire hangers sometimes when we travel....take up less space in the closet area than the wooden ones, and we can leave them behind, leaving space and weight in checked bags for souveniers.

If they each have some sort of small container (little plastic bucket or pop up square to store their bathroom items in, then they can pop it back on the shelf under the sink when done, leaving the area clear for the next person. Cosmetic packed in a cosmetic bag, so they can be collected and neatly stored (or transported) will also help.

• 2 months later...

Back from the cruise and grateful for all the expert advice from CC members. Took several helpful items along (clothespins, shower curtain, post-it's) to keep the stateroom organization and communication at optimum. Along the course of the cruise, someone snatched up our stateroom door decor, but with all the kids on board, I was not shocked.

Ladies had a great time! They were rarely in the room, and the room was a mess that no one seemed to mind. I only walked past their doorway twice. Usually they came to our room for the view.

A few of them utilized the spa shower, and they were not the only regular pax turning up to clean up in the ladies locker room. That was a key to their success, to not HAVE to share the bathroom during prepping times.

Thank you all again for the advice. Happy new year and happy cruising in 2015!

Edited by LaraTiara