4 young adults in stateroom

LaraTiara

Ah, yes, I remember it well, as they say. My very first cruise, 7-night Caribbean, in an inside cabin, no less, with Mom, my sister, her 13-year-old daughter, and me. The girl and I were the only two able to get up on the top bunks! So, lots of bruises for me. And dear Mom never got her clothes out of her bag, just pulled it out from under the bed when she needed something. We laugh to this day, wondering how we survived that week without killing each other. But I was hooked from that week forward. :p

As for advice, tell them to pack really really light and set up a schedule for bathroom/mirror usage. Cosmetics also. Maybe they can use a shower in the spa area??? What the hey, they will be having so much fun, they won't realize they are cramped. And take post-it notes for communicating with others when out of the cabin. Most of all, enjoy!

Yikes! I can't imagine putting 4 young ladies in a room together with only one tiny bathroom! :eek:

I'm taking 4 teens/young adults this summer and we opted for 2 inside rooms for them. One son and his best friend (both 18) will share one room, and my other son (21) and daughter (15) will share another. Luckily those two tend to be on different sleep/shower schedules anyway. My three did share a cabin last time we went, and it was tight, but with the 4th kid this year, I just couldn't do that to my poor little girl!

We once put four teenagers in a room - yes, it was crowded, but they were thrilled to be on a cruise and had a wonderful time (it was three girls and a boy - two sisters and two friends). They just need to be considerate of the others. And they all came back still enjoying each other's company.

We once put four teenagers in a room - yes, it was crowded, but they were thrilled to be on a cruise and had a wonderful time (it was three girls and a boy - two sisters and two friends). They just need to be considerate of the others. And they all came back still enjoying each other's company.

Lucky boy.

Great advice Beach Spring. Yes I mentioned to the cousin about those larger spa showers (I just added her into the stateroom this week).

Thanks so much everyone. Will keep passing tips along to the ladies!

I agree, though, there will be plenty of diversions for them outside the cabin!

Speaking from my summer camp days, get a small shoe hanger (the kind with a hanger not over the door). During shower cycles they can bring that in the bathroom with all their stuff then move it back to the closet, thus adding much needed bathroom space.

I think that is one of the most useful tips I have ever read on CC. Great idea:D

This whole plan requires just that - a plan. They should each take ONE item that all can share, as in hand mirror, power strip, large bottle of mouthwash, etc. Divide the closet and drawers spaces into "territories" and agree on ground rules, in advance, such as who gets which bunk (or rotate) and who gets up first, etc. With respect for each other's differences, it can work out. After all, we four females managed, with minimal grousing. Respect and affection. (PS: let us know how it turns out; can't wait to hear, LOL)

Places to store things will be minimal. You can go to a dollar store and find collapsable boxes for each of them. They could have one for their bath/shower needs and they could sit under the sink. The shoe hanger idea is great as well. One reviewer I read all the time uses one for all the things like sewing kit, lotions, hand wipes, hair ties, sanitizers, and so on. it can sit over the door to the bathroom on the outside.

Someone suggested that leaving the TV on at night to the station that has the web cam from the front of the ship might help with waking up in the morning. I have heard some people will sleep the day away because it is always dark in the room. Bring a night light for the bathroom too. It will help when someone needs to get up in the middle of the night. I bring a flashlight as well. Always good to have nearby.

Ask the room steward for extra hangers for clothing. Ask for extra Patters so each girl can have one of their own.

Color code things?

I also bought a dollar laundry bag to put dirty things in. Kept the mess to a minimum.

Lots of magnets. They will go on the door or walls to hang notes, the patter, port tickets, and important papers. Sticky notes are a great idea. Maybe pick up a color for each (color coding.)

Make sure they lock up their valuables in the safe - phones, passports, money, and the chargers too.

I'm sure there are more, but these will help. Above all, they need to have a good time!

College aged kids don't give a fig where they are....they will sleep on a floor...in a shower, car...they don't care. It's fine.

It's not the sleeping that's an issue, but 4 women sharing a teeny tiny bathroom. I mentioned this to my 15 year old daughter and she was horrified by the idea. :eek:

I usually bring hook magnets from Harbor Freight and a thin, but can't see through shower curtain to turn the closet/bathroom area into a changing room. Magnets hang from the ceiling. And a bungee cord to hold back the curtain. At night, this can be a "separate" area for those who can't sleep, don't sleep, etc.

Good luck. It will be tight and very cozy. I hope these are very friendly people who roll with the punches.

Was a balcony cabin that much more expensive? The additional square footage...outside... Would give them a little more breathing room. Maybe you can hope for the upgrade fairy visit.

Edited by cr8tiv1

All great suggestions! Many of these I have not even thought of for privacy and sleep cycles.

Three of them have lived in dorms as well as lived in Africa and Eastern Europe for charity work. They really are down to earth and know how to live with others in tight quarters. And, compared to international hostels where bunkmates (strangers) are sneaking guys (also strangers) in, cruising is a posh dream!

Doesn't the Skywalkers stay open til 2am? The 2 girls were closing it down 2 years ago.. I'm sure they will be good and "tired" when they find their beds...

We discussed stateroom upgrade versus excursions/Sabatini's and they preferred to splurge on the latter.

They can always visit our balcony across the hall.

They're only paying their own on board Credit Card expenses, and they all said YES to going away! They love travel, and they love the 5-Star travel even more!

All great suggestions! Many of these I have not even thought of for privacy and sleep cycles.

Three of them have lived in dorms as well as lived in Africa and Eastern Europe for charity work. They really are down to earth and know how to live with others in tight quarters. And, compared to international hostels where bunkmates (strangers) are sneaking guys (also strangers) in, cruising is a posh dream!

Doesn't the Skywalkers stay open til 2am? The 2 girls were closing it down 2 years ago.. I'm sure they will be good and "tired" when they find their beds...

We discussed stateroom upgrade versus excursions/Sabatini's and they preferred to splurge on the latter.

We did make our own cabin rules to follow, to help us not to step on each other toes

They're only paying their own on board Credit Card expenses, and they all said YES to going away! They love travel, and they love the 5-Star travel even more!

They will have a great time. Years ago I would cruise with girl friends four in a cabin. We had such fun. Some of my best cruises were when I was young and stuff four in a cabin!

Edited by geocruiser

We have sailed with four in an inside. I would suggest they scope out where the nearest public rest room is located "just in case" of a bath room emergency.:o Family close by in another cabin could be a "back up" plan;). Also unpacking and storing luggage under beds helps to cut down clutter.

We cruised many, many times with 3 of our daughters when they were teenagers.They were so thrilled to be on a cruise that there were no complaints.

Many times , however, the youngest would come to our cabin to shower, do her hair and get dressed for dinner as her sisters made sure she was last in line for access to everything.

You said you're in a balcony across the hall so that will solve most bathroom issues in case of "emergencies".

College aged kids don't give a fig where they are....they will sleep on a floor...in a shower, car...they don't care. It's fine.

*LOL*

Ahhhhhh the good old days . We would all crowd into one or two rooms , just for a place to shower and dress. Then we were either at the beach or the clubs. Not too much sleeping on those trips , and when you did, you were so zonked out , any surface would do *LOL*

Are you really saving that much money by cramming 4 in an inside, rather than getting 2 insides???? :eek: I'd be doing some price checking. ;)

Exactly what I was thinking! Usually the 3rd/4th passenger rate for an inside is not that much less, so it's worth the little extra to get twice as much space... and 2 bathrooms!