Formal Nights and Informal Nights

knittinggirl

Well, it depends what you drink, £4.50 is for Perroni, but Stella etc will be £4.00.

I'm not talking about The New Penny Farthing, or The Punch and Judy !

Good point. Coming from down in Kent, the drink prices here in Liverpool are so much cheaper. Your talking about £1 difference in a pint. Lucky if I pay more than £3.50 for a pint.

Good point. Coming from down in Kent, the drink prices here in Liverpool are so much cheaper. Your talking about £1 difference in a pint. Lucky if I pay more than £3.50 for a pint.

Have you been to either of those pubs ? Both are about £2 a pint and you can see why. They are not my usual places, but I like to try different places.

Cunard is well known for being more formal than other cruise lines and this is the reason I have sailed on Cunard so many times over the years. I love the dressing up and I do it every night come what may.

It is easy for men as already stated. Get a DJ and a few jackets and ties and away you go.

Now the ladies in my opinion fall into two brackets, them who like me love to dress up and the ones that don't.

I always feel annoyed when I see a man in a DJ and his wife /partner in an ordinary day dress. Not even what could be classed as a cocktail dress.

Also seen ladies in a pair of day type black trousers and an ordinary T shirt type top. Not my idea of formal. I do wish Cunard would pick them up on this as they do if a man is not wearing the correct attire.:confused:

I have often said this and I will say it again. There is no reason for any woman to be under dressed on Cunard.

You can buy cheap off the peg evening wear anywhere in the world these days.

There are always sales on in stores and even Ebay you can pick up great evening wear new.

I think ladies who do not make the effort are just lazy, or have no confidence. Anyone can buy a top with a bit of glitz or sparkle on it and not spent the earth.

A pair of floaty pants/ trousers and a bit of bling. No need to wear the real diamonds or pearls. Lovely costume jewellery in all shops these days and a nice clutch bag and you are kitted out.

So I suggest get some nice tops and a pair of silk pants or a nice long dress and some bling and a new hair clip even and go woe 'em and knock 'em dead.

If ladies don't make the effort they stand out more so then those that do.

So no excuses. On Cunard you dress up, or don't bother booking.

Regarding the lady who has to wear her trainers, no problem ! Under a long dress they will not be seen much. However there are a lot of deck type plimsoll shoes around this year made of Lurex look on the Internet.

I also saw a lady in a long black dress on QE world cruise and she wore Ugg boots with diamante trim on the back under her long dress. or even

FIT FLOPS (brand name not flip flops) do lots of embellished shoes and they are good for your feet and back.

As for myself I love my shoes so take the lot with me:)

So ladies you have no excuse so go for it !:)

I agree with you Maggie. You had some wonderful outfits on the world cruise this year. I love dressing up.

Thank you Pat, I love to dress up and so does MrMM as you well know. ;)

I have fab photos of you and him in all your finery. Pat looks much nicer than MrMM,as she has gorgeous dresses :)

What about shoes? My podiatrist prescribed I wear running shoes. On Royal with a long dress, they never commented on it. I can produce the prescription if they need it.

These sandals, in the black colour, actually look quite reasonable. They are extremely comfortable but they are a serious walking sandal so give excellent support to your feet. I find them as good if not better than running shoes. You might like to ask your podiatrist about them.

http://www.amazon.com/Merrell-Agave-Brown-Leather-11/dp/B001PPH4SA

I've worn my black ones out to restaurants with smart black trousers, and other colours for hours of walking when sightseeing.

There are also these ones http://www.amazon.com/Merrell-Womens-Lavish-Sandal-Aluminum/dp/B00D1KG40Q which come in pretty colours but aren't quite as practical for eveningwear as they don't have the black footbed.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Why 'How sad', if you are aware of the dress code and are not happy, don't go on Cunard and whinge as the rest of us are not overly interested in hearing about your disapproval when you knew from the start what their policy is.

There are many cruise companies that you will be much happier on, if formality is not your thing and there is nothing right or wrong it. Most of those who sail on Cunard, do so for among other reasons, the formal nights, so let those who enjoy it, get on with it without having to hear from the moaners all the time.

I think you may have misinterpreted pmb1's "how sad" comment.

I took it to mean that it was sad that nobody at the OP's table on the Royal Caribbean bothered to dress for dinner on formal night.

And I don't think either the OP nor pmb1 were moaning.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

I think you may have misinterpreted pmb1's "how sad" comment.

I took it to mean that it was sad that nobody at the OP's table on the Royal Caribbean bothered to dress for dinner on formal night.

And I don't think either the OP nor pmb1 were moaning.

Thanks, OzKiwiJJ. It's nice to be understood occasionally.

Why 'How sad', if you are aware of the dress code and are not happy, don't go on Cunard and whinge as the rest of us are not overly interested in hearing about your disapproval when you knew from the start what their policy is.

There are many cruise companies that you will be much happier on, if formality is not your thing and there is nothing right or wrong it. Most of those who sail on Cunard, do so for among other reasons, the formal nights, so let those who enjoy it, get on with it without having to hear from the moaners all the time.

I do think some American and Aussie men do feel uncomfortable dressing up, but I also think their ladies love the dressing up and would encourage them to do so.

Edited by luckymal

• 1 year later...

We are going in September. This will be our second voyage, although the first for our six year old twins. Our girls are easy--just lovely dresses every night for dinner. My question is about my son. Will he be fine in a dark jacket and assorted dark trousers each night? I'll add a conservative tie on formal nights. He doesn't own a suit yet but I'm thinking of buying big soon so he will be set for the fall and hopefully into the spring for his first communion. My husband will be bringing one dark suit--he rented a tux last time but was so uncomfortable in it as it was a poor fit.

We are going in September. This will be our second voyage, although the first for our six year old twins. Our girls are easy--just lovely dresses every night for dinner. My question is about my son. Will he be fine in a dark jacket and assorted dark trousers each night? I'll add a conservative tie on formal nights. He doesn't own a suit yet but I'm thinking of buying big soon so he will be set for the fall and hopefully into the spring for his first communion. My husband will be bringing one dark suit--he rented a tux last time but was so uncomfortable in it as it was a poor fit.

Your son will be perfectly fine in a dark jacket and dark trousers. And on formal nights, the jacket, matching slacks, and a conservative tie will more than suffice. The official word from Cunard is this: Children under 18 do not have a dress code but should adhere to the daily dress code where possible. Have a wonderful voyage!

How stringent are they with evening attire? We've been sailing Royal Caribbean, and their formal attire is recommended but not required. In fact, on our last cruise, no one at are table dressed for formal night.

I've been bringing some sequined tops or a pretty lace blouse with my black pants for formal night.

Cunard is synonymous with elegance and that means dressing for dinner. Daytime is as informal as you wish, but evening is for finery. That's why we book Cunard. Even though Cunard has eliminated "semi-formal" nights, I am pleased to note that passengers continue to dress "semi-formal" on evenings designated "informal." It is SAD that other lines ignore their own guidelines as you indicated happened on Royal Caribbean. It doesn't happen on Cunard. I am sure Cunard passengers would not stand for a descent into informality. And, pmb1, I understood you from the beginning.

Diane

• 2 weeks later...
I do think some American and Aussie men do feel uncomfortable dressing up, but I also think their ladies love the dressing up and would encourage them to do so.

"Some" is correct. I love formal nights. My favorite is kilt with regulation doublet and white tie! :D White dinner jacket and black tie is favorite in Caribbean.

And I dearly love the way my Rachel looks on those nights!!!!!!!!

We are sailing TA on QM2 in June and look forward to the formal nights. I've got it easy: planning to pack my tux with a spare shirt or two. My Mrs. is sorting out dresses. Besides fancy dresses (as she might wear to a formal wedding or other posh event) looks as though sparkly, glitzy tops with a long black skirt or dress slacks may be in order, from pics I've seen of the B&W ball.

The Cunard dress standard has been diluted, too, if my recent experience is a fair indicator.

Formal nights in the dining room is no more than suit and tie, and that can be loosely interpreted. I would say more than half wore tuxes, but suits were clearly in evidence. Informal nights is a collared shirt, including polo style, and a jacket. I admit to "cheating" some nights, actually wearing black jeans with my jacket on informal evenings, with black sneakers! And I don't feel a bit guilty.

Just don't show up looking like an idiot, t-shirt and do-rag or bandanna.

Is it acceptable for non Scots to wear a kilt?

David.

I can't answer generally, but if there is a connection with Scotland it seems to cause no offence, at least in Canada.

Two of the most famous military regiments in Toronto - many would say the most famous - are the 48th Highlanders of Canada and the Toronto Scottish Regiment (Her Majesty the Queen Mother's own). My father's side of the family are English, but my grandfather served in the 48th Highlanders during the First World War and my father served in the same in the Second World War. Both kept their regimental membership until their deaths.

My grandfather frequently said: "I'm an Englishman by birth, a Canadian by choice, and a Scotsman at heart." There must be some Scots in my ancestry. Although I don't have the legs for a kilt, I have a love of the bagpipes. Perhaps that is because I was exposed to them from birth.:)

The Cunard dress standard has been diluted' date=' too, if my recent experience is a fair indicator.

Formal nights in the dining room is no more than suit and tie, and that can be loosely interpreted. I would say more than half wore tuxes, but suits were clearly in evidence. Informal nights is a collared shirt, including polo style, and a jacket. I admit to "cheating" some nights, actually wearing black jeans with my jacket on informal evenings, with black sneakers! And I don't feel a bit guilty.

.[/quote']

Interesting. I was on those same FLL to Valpo WC segments and I found that the great majority of men were wearing tuxedos on formal nights. Of course, I would feel guilty wearing anything less on formal night.

Bob

Interesting. I was on those same FLL to Valpo WC segments and I found that the great majority of men were wearing tuxedos on formal nights. Of course, I would feel guilty wearing anything less on formal night.

Bob

We agree the majority are in formal attire.