Formal Nights and Informal Nights

knittinggirl

How stringent are they with evening attire? We've been sailing Royal Caribbean, and their formal attire is recommended but not required. In fact, on our last cruise, no one at are table dressed for formal night.

I've been bringing some sequined tops or a pretty lace blouse with my black pants for formal night.

The dress code is less stringent for women than for men, but don't expect to go to dinner in the resort wear you've had on during the day.

Very stringent for men. Tuxes aren't required for formal night but at the minimum a dark suit is expected. The majority of men do wear a tuxedo. Jackets are required for informal night and the waiters will turn men away who are not wearing a jacket.

Edited by Underwatr

... We've been sailing Royal Caribbean, and their formal attire is recommended but not required. In fact, on our last cruise, no one at are table dressed for formal night.
How sad.

How stringent are they with evening attire? We've been sailing Royal Caribbean, and their formal attire is recommended but not required. In fact, on our last cruise, no one at are table dressed for formal night.

I've been bringing some sequined tops or a pretty lace blouse with my black pants for formal night.

The one thing that makes Cunard different is the fact that nearly everyone does dress up for formal night. I always wear long or at least a sparkly cocktail dress for formal nights. The ship looks so lovely with everyone in evening dress. I feel that if you don't like dressing up then I wouldn't book Cunard. Just my personal thoughts. Hope you enjoy.

I can understand RCCL, it is tough for working families on a budget to dress up for a cruise. If you are flying to meet your cruise then you might keep within the tight baggage restrictions. For a family with 2 to 3 kids that can get very expensive. If your kids don't have jackets and ties that extra cost could prevent them from booking a cruise.

I can understand RCCL, it is tough for working families on a budget to dress up for a cruise. If you are flying to meet your cruise then you might keep within the tight baggage restrictions. For a family with 2 to 3 kids that can get very expensive. If your kids don't have jackets and ties that extra cost could prevent them from booking a cruise.

Royal's gotten much more casual. The last several cruises, we've done more of a smart casual on formal night. Less to pack on stingy airlines. But if everyone else's doing it, then we'll need to adapt. If we can avoid a transatlantic flight, we'll buy some formals.

Not sure how we can cross pack formals when we have only one garment bag.

Royal's gotten much more casual. The last several cruises, we've done more of a smart casual on formal night. Less to pack on stingy airlines. But if everyone else's doing it, then we'll need to adapt. If we can avoid a transatlantic flight, we'll buy some formals.

Not sure how we can cross pack formals when we have only one garment bag.

Some women find it convenient to have one black evening dress which can be given different looks with wraps and shawls.

While I understand the need for formal photos, and we've bought our share. How invasive are the photographers during dinner? On Royal, they set up their photography corners right in front of the dining rooms, so they are in the way of the people trying to make their way to eat.

Edited by knittinggirl

My mom has a pair of black chiffon palazzo pants that look very dressy with a nice top and pashmina etc. Takes up no space or weight and would be easy to wear.

I notice you go as 'knittinggirl'. You could also check out dresses that are knit or crocheted from fine silky thread/yarn that wear over a bias cut slip. Again; easy to wear, light weight, travel well.

; -)

d92b652e402863eb30aaf9e0251f68a1.jpg

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/341710690447655545/

Edited by sarafinadh

What about shoes? My podiatrist prescribed I wear running shoes. On Royal with a long dress, they never commented on it. I can produce the prescription if they need it.

We stopped bringing most of my hand knit items on cruises after Royal almost lost one. Now, we only check things we're not worried about losing.

Edited by knittinggirl

While I understand the need for formal photos, and we've bought our share. How invasive are the photographers during dinner? On Royal, they set up their photography corners right in front of the dining rooms, so they are in the way of the people trying to make their way to eat.

The photographers were not real pushy. They set up in the corridors of deck two as you were walking to dinner but they would just ask if you wanted a picture. You could say no thanks and keep walking. On formal nights they will walk around the dining room asking each table if they want a photo - we always said no and they moved on to another table.

As mentioned, the dress code for women seems to be more lax than for men (I never saw any women spoken to but I did see men stopped from entering the MDR without a jacket - they would loan him one). I wore my dress black pants with dressy jackets and sparkly tops a number of times.

What about shoes? My podiatrist prescribed I wear running shoes. On Royal with a long dress, they never commented on it. I can produce the prescription if they need it.

We stopped bringing most of my hand knit items on cruises after Royal almost lost one. Now, we only check things we're not worried about losing.

They won't care about your shoes. Although you will see many women in spike heels (which I could not even stand in:eek:), you will also see ladies in comfortable shoes.

I don't take my hand knit items because they weigh a ton!

Edited by Scrapnana

They won't care about your shoes. Although you will see many women in spike heels (which I could not even stand in:eek:), you will also see ladies in comfortable shoes.

I don't take my hand knit items because they weigh a ton!

I take my knit hat and gloves.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk HD

Have you tried the type called "fisherman's sandals" they come in all colours, with canvas straps, and are flat. I wear them under all my dresses, as I cannot wear heels. They are inexpensive to buy also.

Dress do not have to be "ball gowns", I have simple straight up and down dresses with round neckline, short sleeves, but I have dozens of all colours, all patterns, some with beads some without , STOLES, and same with bags, costume jewels.

I rely on these for my" bling" and I do wear the same dress more than once, but always with different stole, bag, and necklace. My dresses are all polyester knits which do not wrinkle and can be washed, I pack them rolled up.

I can understand RCCL, it is tough for working families on a budget to dress up for a cruise.

I just dont buy into this. One can get a suit at the good will for $20 or slacks for 6.99. If you can afford to cruise you can afford some dress pants and button up dress shirts. I really think its the laziness and being casual comfort more than anything with todays generation.

Regarding women's footwear:

On one QM2 voyage, we had the good fortune to be seated with a very adventurous woman in her 80's. She took the most interesting tours Cunard offered, and I really enjoyed hearing of her ATV experience on a Caribbean port at dinner one night. She was waring an ankle length black gown, and looked lovely.

As we were leaving the table, she lifted her shirt, I happened to noticed that she was wearing what looked liked combat boots. So, I'm thinking that whatever it takes to walk through the years, that is what we should put on our feet! Everything else we wear is polite window dressing, out of respect for the dress code. A good story told by an interesting person of character is far more important than footwear, in my opinion. -S.

P.S. Just to add: Stiletto heels worn by people on the QM2 Promenade Deck is definitely not a good idea: not only is your footing unstable and your could hurt yourself, but it really is annoying to those passengers on deck 6. <end of rant>

Edited by Salacia

I can understand RCCL, it is tough for working families on a budget to dress up for a cruise.

That's a very strange comment to make.

If you can't afford the appropriate clothes then to me you can't afford the cruise either. It's rather like buying buying a Ferrari/Porsche/Lambo/ and then complaining it's tough to afford the petrol, servicing and insurance ! i.e. if you can't afford to run it then you can't afford to buy it.

There's often similar comments on another forum about Cunard drinks prices. People say they hardly buy any drinks because the price is outrageous (but this is mainly by people who haven't been to the pub in 20 years and have no concept of the price of a pint). But that's just like going into a high-class restaurant and then complaining about the price of a meal.

Hello,could not agree more Toad.

On the Elizabeth last year a very nice man who we spoke to and with on many occasions did not buy a drink for the full 14 nights as a personal protest against the cost of the drinks.His biggest arguement was the 15% surcharge.If you cant afford the add ons dont go.

as for the dress code on Cunard,I would like to say,if you dont like it dont embarass the rest of us,go on a less formal line.

Leave Cunard to people who like the formallity.

We have just booked for October 17th and are allready looking forward to it.

Rodger

There's often similar comments on another forum about Cunard drinks prices. People say they hardly buy any drinks because the price is outrageous (but this is mainly by people who haven't been to the pub in 20 years and have no concept of the price of a pint). But that's just like going into a high-class restaurant and then complaining about the price of a meal.

Some of the complaints about drinks prices, quite rightly, come from passengers who have been cruising/crossing for a long time. Decades ago the duty-free prices paid by the cruise lines were passed on to the passengers. I can remember paying the equivalent of 25 cents (US) for a G&T on Cunard and Union-Castle in the 1970s. It wasn't much more on P&O in the 1980s. On some ships a bottle of wine (plonk to be sure, but better quality than Pol Acker:)) would cost the equivalent of $2.00. Somehow the cruise lines still made a profit on alcohol.

There is no doubt that many fares are cheaper, when adjusted for inflation, than they were 10 and even 20 years ago. The lines have to augment their profit somewhere, so higher prices for wine, drinks and shore excursions are inevitable.