Celebrity vs Azamara

Winters Gate

I am looking to book a cruise in Australia/New Zealand in January 2016, The choice is between a Skysuite on Celebrity Solstice or a Club Continent Suite on Azamara Quest.

The itinerary is similar but the Azamaracruise is a day shorter and slightly more expensive.

We are a couple in the 40s who like peace and quiet and appreciate good food and drink, on which ships would we get the best the Experience?

We did a club continent on Azamara and it was AMAZING! I would do it again in a heartbeat. Azamara was outstanding, you have a butler, good was great it's a small ship very personal service and the best part most things are included.

The smaller ships are more intimate, have better food and few activities. The ships are more luxurious. The ports of call are a bit more interesting and easier to access. Fewer lines getting off the ship in the ports.

The downside is that the ships are small and don't handle as well as the larger ships. The motion was noticeable to me in the specialty restaurants on the top deck. I had trouble trying to eat in this area due to motion but was fine in the buffet. I am not normally seasick and felt fine in my mid ship cabin. I would not consider one at the bow or high up on Amazara.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

We are on Solstice for that cruise (and the following one). Have also sailed Azamara, which is better in terms of luxury but can't offer the facilities of a larger ship.

We choose itineraries and if X and its upmarket brother Azamara offered the same, we would go for Az.

Azamara! Much smaller and more intimate - excellent staff who quickly recognise passengers. BUT less to do on board and the shows are not as big, etc. how many sea days? Do you enjoy just relaxing? If you don't need entertaining! Then go Azamara - we had a wonderful time.

We did a club continent on Azamara and it was AMAZING! I would do it again in a heartbeat. Azamara was outstanding, you have a butler, good was great it's a small ship very personal service and the best part most things are included.

Absolutely Azamara! Loved it.

Edited by Diane Rose

I know that this is going to make me unpopular but IMHO, the smaller ships of Azamara have one very large problem, they handle large group much less well than the larger Celebrity ships. Our first cruise on Azamara was incredible. It was a 24-night cruise and, at the end, nobody [including the Captain and crew] wanted it to end.

Unfortunately, our next cruise [just 14-night] could not end soon enough for me. There were a large number of relatively small groups on board. These groups would not even have been noticed on Celebrity ships but they totally dominated Azamara Quest. There is nowhere on board where they can congregate for any reason without dominating the space and the noise when they ate together in the specialty restaurant was deafening.

By the time of our second cruise on Azamara, they had also rebranded as Azamara Club Cruises and seemed to attracted more "entitled" guests - the "I have paid a lot of money for this cruise and am entitled to ..." folk.

I accept that we were probably very unlucky on our second Azamara cruise but as we only cruise about three times every two years, I am not prepared to risk it especially now that Celebrity are introducing their new Suite Class experience next year. Much of the semi-all inclusive nature following the rebranding is not to our taste either. We really did not like the limited choice of wine on offer.

Having said that, my view is very much in the minority.

I suffer dreadfully from motion sickness, my family jokes I could be sick crossing a puddle. I have never found a deck high or low or a cabin forward,aft or mid ship which couldn't be handled with a seasick tablet hence my vote would go to Celebrity for their S class ship around Australia New Zealand.

I am looking to book a cruise in Australia/New Zealand in January 2016, The choice is between a Skysuite on Celebrity Solstice or a Club Continent Suite on Azamara Quest.

The itinerary is similar but the Azamaracruise is a day shorter and slightly more expensive.

We are a couple in the 40s who like peace and quiet and appreciate good food and drink, on which ships would we get the best the Experience?

This is very good and well thought out, and concise. A must read review comparing the two lines, http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2058078

Hi Wallie:) I have been following Sandi and Scott's adventure too.

She gives a great comparison for sure.

Good morning to ya also Lois:)

And that Sandi ( who loves Celebrity) gives some of Deirdre's ( who loves Azamara )views also, is what makes it even better for anyone looking at both.

Later, EW