First time on Oceania - the artists loft

mancunian

We are looking forward to our first cruise on Riviera next month. We have travelled on many lines but of late always HAL.

How does the artists loft work. I have read somewhere it might be art or photography. Do they supply the materials? I am thinking photography fine, I will have my camera, but if it is art are you supposed to take paints etc? Is there a charge for the classes and if so, about how much. Are classes just held when at sea or everyday?

Many thanks

Be there VERY early as the class fills up and once all the seats are taken, you are out of luck. Also, beware of "chair hogs" :)

Seat reservations for several "other friends" should not be allowed any more there than they are (technically) not allowed in the theater.

JMO.

It is a great program. It is free and all the stuff is provided. There is cubbies to put your stuff in after class. On our last two trips my wife went each day. There was a class and also open time just to paint with the teacher or his wife there all day

As you were painting he was too with his paintings for sale.To be honest it was the only reason we took our last trip, my wife loved it so much

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Be there VERY early as the class fills up and once all the seats are taken, you are out of luck. Also, beware of "chair hogs" :)

Seat reservations for several "other friends" should not be allowed any more there than they are (technically) not allowed in the theater.

JMO.

That was exactly what we experienced on Marina.

Was on the Marina in April and took several classes in the Artist Loft. All the classes were taught by a painter. The ship supplied all the paints, brushes, papers, etc. I loved all the classes which were varied-charcoal, oil, watercolors, collages. It was a highlight of the cruise. I have never been on a cruise that did this. I believe both the Marina and Riviera do this. It was our first Oceania experience and this was a terrific addition to the rest of the amenities. Enjoy,

• 1 month later...

Update: I wrote in June on my experience in the Artist Loft. We will be going this December on the Riviera. I am looking forward to going again to the Loft. Yes, be there early as when all the chairs are filled, that is it. I am not a good artist, but just love the crafts in general. Hope u enjoy as much as i did and hopefully will again

There have been other crafts as well, scrapbooking, tee shirt enhancement, fabric arts, etc. However, what they offer is somewhat pot luck, depending on who they get for a teacher. It's not usually announced in advance.

Can reservations be made on line prior to cruise for Artists Loft..or is it basically first come frirst serve? If that's the case, I then assume that one has to wait for the ships nightly newspaper to announce the schedule for the Loft and bunk outside the studio the day before to insure that one gets a space?:D

Thanks for input.

Also does Oceania also have art auctions as other ships do? Curious.

J

I then assume that one has to wait for the ships nightly newspaper to announce the schedule for the Loft and bunk outside the studio the day before to insure that one gets a space?:D

J

That is right

I wish they would have a sign up sheet so you do not need to sleep in the hall to get into the classes

The artist loft is first come, first served, but be careful sleeping in the hall as they clean in the middle of the night.:D

As for the art auctions, the best answer is "sometimes". They have no contract or regular auctions, but occasionally invite am artist or group of artists aboard. These artists may handle the Loft, and may present their own art for auction. I expect they will always be in good taste, because Mr. Del Rio is a true art aficionado.

Sent from my Moto G using Forums mobile app

That is right

I wish they would have a sign up sheet so you do not need to sleep in the hall to get into the classes

On our last they would have days when it was open most of the day with the artist and his wife in and out as you worked. I am sure it depends on who is aboard running the program

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

I just read in the O Club newsletter that Artists Loft is being added to Insignia. Does anyone know where it will be located on an R ship?

I read on O's site that the Loft would be on Insignia for the World Cruise in a corner of Horizons, but not on all other sailings. Check with O.