Communicating while on board

kimberlym4

We've traveled with a large friends and family group for many years, now. We find no reason to be conjoined at the hip and that everyone be totally accessible/reachable 24/7. Those who want to make plans to do something with each other do, for others...it's not all that difficult to run into others during the day. We have dinner together every evening and discuss the next day's plans then. For those who want to opt out, no problem for those who want to connect....they do. There's in cabin phones, notes on a door, and for our group, just cruise through the buffet or the bars and you'll fine 'em!

I have trouble understanding cell phone capabilities on board. If i want to communicate on board with someone in my party am I able to text them? I have Verizon and realize they have an international package - would I need that? Do you guys have other ways to check in with your party?

I have Verizon also and I signed up for a special data plan so we can use the internet and check emails on our phones, but they also had to activate our phones so they would work on the cruise and in port:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/global/plans-and-pricing.html

They also sent me an email and there were some instructions on what to do to make sure your phone would work for data roaming. The texting/calling is a bit pricey so we will only use it as needed, but yes, this is also how I communicate with my kids LOL.

I have Verizon also and I signed up for a special data plan so we can use the internet and check emails on our phones, but they also had to activate our phones so they would work on the cruise and in port:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/global/plans-and-pricing.html

They also sent me an email and there were some instructions on what to do to make sure your phone would work for data roaming. The texting/calling is a bit pricey so we will only use it as needed, but yes, this is also how I communicate with my kids LOL.

Just be sure you are not incurring charges. A recent poster was bemoaning the fact that his twin 15 yo daughters had run up a $588 bill on a one week cruise

Just be sure you are not incurring charges. A recent poster was bemoaning the fact that his twin 15 yo daughters had run up a $588 bill on a one week cruise

Oh yes, I am aware. We get 100 MB data for $25 each. I will be monitoring this and making sure nobody goes over that.

Looks like it might be cheapest to get the $25 plan and then send messages to members of your party or people at home via Facebook or email instead of texting which still costs extra even with the plan. Does that Lund right?

Post it notes aren't a bad idea but not as efficient as contacting someone via phone. I don't want to spend my precious time searching or waiting or someone if I can reach them quickly on the phone.

Looks like it might be cheapest to get the $25 plan and then send messages to members of your party or people at home via Facebook or email instead of texting which still costs extra even with the plan. Does that Lund right?

Post it notes aren't a bad idea but not as efficient as contacting someone via phone. I don't want to spend my precious time searching or waiting or someone if I can reach them quickly on the phone.

That wouldn't work with members of my party onboard (husband never checks Facebook and my mom and younger son don't have it) but that is a good idea for contacting people back home.

The ship's crew use VHF radios (hand held transceivers) on certain marine bands, however they are pricey, and you can't be on one of them.

If money is no object, an alternative is aviation VHF hand held transceivers, as you will not be interfering with the ship, and not with any planes in the vicinity either as you would be on an appropriate frequency for such. It's a frequency used for plane-to-plane communications. Within the steel ship you will NOT be interfering with any aircraft in the sky, or causing any harm. 122.75 will work, along with 123.45 or 122.9. On a ship it will prove no issue.

However, these radios need to be used by mature, responsible adults, NEVER given to children, as they can also broadcast on frequencies that could wreak havoc! Such as 121.5.

Finally, the better ones are around $300+ each, like this one, the own I own! ;) This is serious gear, and not "walkie talkies", and must be used by responsible individuals.

10975.jpg

Edited by loubetti