Celebrity Ships too Cold

noggy1980

Celebrity has 2 "Big Nude Boat" charters booked - 2/12/15 & 2/6/16 on Connie :eek: -- maybe someone from one of these cruises will come back and let us know if they were too cold :D

Edited by Jane2357

My DH and I have always felt that it's much easier to make oneself warmer by adding a jacket/sweater/shawl, but it's difficult or impossible to make oneself feel cooler if a room temp is too warm, unless one wishes to get naked and risk arrest or pointing and laughing.

I prefer an area to be cool rather than too warm.

No way can they please everyone. Better too cool than too hot. But after two 14 day cruises I have to say Ive never given the temperature any concern, so cannot have been bothered by it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If they were doing it to cut back on costs, I would think that all the rooms would be to warm not to cold.

yeah thats what I was saying, perhaps I didn't explain what I meant, I wasn't saying it was cold because they were cutting costs, I was saying I wondered if it was cold for health reasons since they have cut costs in other areas and yet havn't tried to do so here and here seems to be an easy place to cut costs.

HA HA!!

I've always said you can always put more on.....there's only so much you can take off...

Would much rather have it too cold, than too hot.....a little shivering is much preferred to profuse sweating.....

but it is a very subjective thing and sorry that the OP found it uncomfortable!

I was a little cool but it wasn't me I was thinking about, I'm a guy, I wore a shirt and trousers every evening and a tux for the formal nights. It was the ladies that were too cold, it was every lady at our table and I heard many people saying how cold it was in the theatre too and talking outside the lifts. Even one of the entertainers commented about how cold the ensemble lounge was. I wasn't exaggerating when I said I heard dozens of people comment on it.

I agree with you that it's better to be too cool than too hot especially as its hot outside during the day I just feel they go to far.

It certainly is true that you can just put more clothes on but thats a shame, dressing up all pretty is a big part of the formal nights and so its a bit of a bummer if you have to chose between being uncomfortable and looking your best.

Like I say though we had a fantastic trip, I just filled in the e-mail survey and gave them a 9 out of 10. This was just the most significant downside of the experience and so wanted to discuss it.

It's all subjective until you list a temp. I would think temps below 68 f to be too cool for the general public, I ' m cool at 70 but I knoe that's just me.

So what are these cold temps...

We live in South Georgia and have our home thermostats set at 78 degrees.

When in a hotel or cabin, we try to set our thermostat at 74 degrees.

If the temp is set at 68, we would be uncomfortable.

We live in South Georgia and have our home thermostats set at 78 degrees.

When in a hotel or cabin, we try to set our thermostat at 74 degrees.

If the temp is set at 68, we would be uncomfortable.

I think 70 is a perfect temperature , not too hot and not too cold.

I was a little cool but it wasn't me I was thinking about, I'm a guy, I wore a shirt and trousers every evening and a tux for the formal nights. It was the ladies that were too cold, it was every lady at our table and I heard many people saying how cold it was in the theatre too and talking outside the lifts. Even one of the entertainers commented about how cold the ensemble lounge was. I wasn't exaggerating when I said I heard dozens of people comment on it.

I agree with you that it's better to be too cool than too hot especially as its hot outside during the day I just feel they go to far.

It certainly is true that you can just put more clothes on but thats a shame, dressing up all pretty is a big part of the formal nights and so its a bit of a bummer if you have to chose between being uncomfortable and looking your best.

Like I say though we had a fantastic trip, I just filled in the e-mail survey and gave them a 9 out of 10. This was just the most significant downside of the experience and so wanted to discuss it.

I was not on your cruise so am not in a position to judge if the temperature on your particular cruise is representative of what I've experienced on my cruises. Every cruise is different. There may be unseen problems on a particular cruise that influences elements of the experience. I've been on ships that were too hot for my comfort and some that were too cold. I know on one Connie cruise there were major problems with air conditioning system in my cabin location. They spent almost 3 days trying to get it to work properly. On one Century cruise the air system broke down completely. Evening programming was moved outdoors.We were offered a OBC based on cabin category. The problem I have is when someone reports a problem that was cruise specific and then generalizes it to be a fleet wide problem. Sometimes it might be, usually not. I appreciate your observation, just wished you said: "On my cruise I found the ship too cold for me". That would be a factual statement.

I don't mind hot on the beach but not while dining. On our first Celebrity cruise the temperature

in the MDR quickly changed formal night into a very casual night.

Select Dining was on the upper MDR deck and it was so very very hot.

Two minutes after arriving pretty much every male in our area had his jacket off.

This was quickly followed by tie removal .Besides this we have never had an issue with the A/C.

I, for one, love a cold room and am happy to add a sweater or shawl if needed. But it's much harder to take off clothing if the room is too warm, and it wouldn't be a pretty sight if most Celebrity cruisers began doing so….
:D Edited by richstowe

Living in the UK we are used to, shall we say. 'cool' temps - (except for today which has been blissfully warm!). BUT we (me and my OH at least!) are not used to living in air conditioned environments and I therefore have to agree that we do find some areas on board uncomfortably cool. I was surprised at how cold the select dining area of the MDR was on the Solstice, on our first cruise, and we were not the only ones to comment on this. Several people, ourselves included asked to be moved, as the air conditioning was spoiling our enjoyment of the meal. We of course learnt after the first few nights, and dressed accordingly. I now make sure that I always take a cover-up with me wherever we go in the evenings. The point being - if you are not used to living in an air conditioned environment, then you may well be surprised at how cool the surroundings are in the public areas.

I was not on your cruise so am not in a position to judge if the temperature on your particular cruise is representative of what I've experienced on my cruises. Every cruise is different. There may be unseen problems on a particular cruise that influences elements of the experience. I've been on ships that were too hot for my comfort and some that were too cold. I know on one Connie cruise there were major problems with air conditioning system in my cabin location. They spent almost 3 days trying to get it to work properly. On one Century cruise the air system broke down completely. Evening programming was moved outdoors.We were offered a OBC based on cabin category. The problem I have is when someone reports a problem that was cruise specific and then generalizes it to be a fleet wide problem. Sometimes it might be, usually not. I appreciate your observation, just wished you said: "On my cruise I found the ship too cold for me". That would be a factual statement.

The thread title was meant to have a question mark, I appear to have mistyped sorry about that. I did say on my first post that I might be wrong and my opinion didn't represent the majority and I acknowledged that temperatures are subjective.

So for a factual statement, on my cruise my wife, the ladies at my table and many people I spoke to found the temperature too cold for being completely comfortable wearing dresses in many areas on the ship. Didn't stop them doing it of course just they would have been happier with a couple more degrees.

Edited by noggy1980

Living in the UK we are used to, shall we say. 'cool' temps - (except for today which has been blissfully warm!). BUT we (me and my OH at least!) are not used to living in air conditioned environments and I therefore have to agree that we do find some areas on board uncomfortably cool. I was surprised at how cold the select dining area of the MDR was on the Solstice, on our first cruise, and we were not the only ones to comment on this. Several people, ourselves included asked to be moved, as the air conditioning was spoiling our enjoyment of the meal. We of course learnt after the first few nights, and dressed accordingly. I now make sure that I always take a cover-up with me wherever we go in the evenings. The point being - if you are not used to living in an air conditioned environment, then you may well be surprised at how cool the surroundings are in the public areas.

We are Brits and you certainly are right and thats part of it, we are used to it being warmer inside than out for the vast majority of the year.

The other 3 couples on our table were American though and all had the same issue.

I've never been too cold on a Celebrity ship. That being said, I found Summit to be too warm, especially while we were docked in Bermuda. I'm sure that was partly due to the fact that it is difficult to keep things ideally cool while the gangways are open for several days.

We keep our AC at home set to 71 during the day and 69 at night (I like it cold when I sleep in bed).

OK, OK everyone has their opinion. Now here is mine, its a crap shoot. If you think its going to be cold bring a sweater or light jacket. I personally have never been to cold on the 50 plus cruises I have taken on a variety of cruise lines. I do hear people say they are cold, but I have never experienced it personally. I would rather be cool and put on a sweater or jacket then be too hot, you would not want to see me undress.

Simple solution belly up to the bar and have a couple of shots of whatever that will warm you right up.

Other silly solutions, go dancing, jog, eat to much, I beleive all those things will warm you, if nothing works go back to your cabin crank the heat up and climb under the covers

Norma

I get cold in the Theaters, eventhough I come always prepared with a very warm wrap. Sitting still in there for 1 hour is a very cool experience, especially on formal nights with open shoes and rather thin dress.

Maybe I should skip it in future. Between warm wrap, drink and earplugs (as the singing and music is very loud there), I am quite loaded getting there. :rolleyes:

Edited by Michidoeme

I've never been cold but always have warm clothing with me, just in case. I sometimes find the opposite is true and get way too hot. On the last two cruises on Infinity I've woken up at night and there has been no aircon at all. The cabin was hot and stuffy and even though I turned down the control, it got no cooler.

I've noticed the same thing in some hotels and my opinion is they turn everything back during the night to conserve power. The rooms seems to start cooling again after dawn.

I've never been cold but always have warm clothing with me, just in case. I sometimes find the opposite is true and get way too hot. On the last two cruises on Infinity I've woken up at night and there has been no aircon at all. The cabin was hot and stuffy and even though I turned down the control, it got no cooler.

I've noticed the same thing in some hotels and my opinion is they turn everything back during the night to conserve power. The rooms seems to start cooling again after dawn.

I think it's doubtful they turn AC down at night....way too much potential for complaints....I operate a hotel and have heard that comment before....simply not true...usually a faulty AC is the culprit...

On our last Connie cruise it got so cold at night( and I LIKE it cool) that we went looking for an extra blanket.....MUCH rather have that than too hot...

Not that it's a "Brit thing" as was suggested, but the climate we live in certainly has some bearing. I think what we are accustomed to is what is most comfortable to us.

We live in the South, air conditioning is a fact of life everywhere, and almost all of the time. When not in warm climates with AC I find many places stifling because there is no air movement. On the rare occasion that it gets cold enough that we have to turn heat on I am very uncomfortable and my skin feels awful.

Similar to what several have said, there can always be layers added but there is only so much that can be taken off.

We just got off the Celebrity Silhouette in the med (10-22 June 2014) and we felt the temperature on the ship was perfect. Many of us looked forward to getting back on the cool ship after a hot day out, and we all feel that its better for the ship to be a little cooler than warmer.

Personally, I would not consider booking a cruise-liner if the ACs did not function well.