RCCL Crown and Anchor (Adding Children)

We its official our 10 month old loves to cruise. Issue I am running into is with the Crown and Anchor. I am getting the run around about how the little can become a member. I was told that she would be under mine until she is 18 and be at the same level as my wife and I. Then I was told no she will have her own and need to develop points as we did. She will not be at the same level.

Which one is it? because I am getting told by other cruisers and staff the mixed answers.

Thanks,

We its official our 10 month old loves to cruise. Issue I am running into is with the Crown and Anchor. I am getting the run around about how the little can become a member. I was told that she would be under mine until she is 18 and be at the same level as my wife and I. Then I was told no she will have her own and need to develop points as we did. She will not be at the same level.

Which one is it? because I am getting told by other cruisers and staff the mixed answers.

Thanks,

As long as the child has cruised once, you should be able to enroll her in C&A. Once she has a C&A number, you can call C&A and have her linked to your account.

Thanks,

My daughter was four years old when she became a C&A member. It was not an issue.

We have the same things with our sons. It's a bit of both, actually. If your child is sailing with you and in your stateroom, she will be included with you and enjoy limited benefits. I say "limited" because, as I understand it, she will not get many of her own perks (coupons, invitations, pin, balcony/suite discounts, etc.) but can share in with yours (e.g., she is welcome to attend the loyalty event). In other words, she can tag along during the cruise on which she is sailing with you.

At the same time, she can get her own C&A number and accumulate her own points for those cruises, so do that. We made sure to get C&A numbers for our sons after their first cruise, some years ago, and we add their numbers to our reservations every time we've all gone. It'll pay off (for them, at least), as they already are Emerald in their own rights and pushing Diamond.

To add about ages, our boys were 1 and 3, respectively, when they got their C&A numbers.

D

Edited by DCPIV

Your daughter once enrolled will have the exact same status as you do. She will accumulate her own points but will be at the same status as you. Once she turns 18 she will retain the last status she sailed as but revert to her own points.

So if you are Diamond and she sailed with you as diamond she will remain a diamond after her 18th Bday but may only have 40 points. It will just take her longer to get to D+.

Yes, get her a number of her own. Then have her linked to you and your husband. Up until she is 18, she will match your status, but her account will reflect the cruise points she accumulates on her own. Then when she is an adult, she will keep the status she had BUT she will need to accumulate the points to the next level on her own.

So if you are Diamond and she sailed with you as diamond she will remain a diamond after her 18th Bday but may only have 40 points. It will just take her longer to get to D+.

I was not aware of that. Thank you for further clarifying. Nice.

D

We have the same things with our sons. It's a bit of both, actually. If your child is sailing with you and in your stateroom, she will be included with you and enjoy limited benefits. I say "limited" because, as I understand it, she will not get many of her own perks (coupons, invitations, pin, balcony/suite discounts, etc.) but can share in with yours (e.g., she is welcome to attend the loyalty event). In other words, she can tag along during the cruise on which she is sailing with you.

At the same time, she can get her own C&A number and accumulate her own points for those cruises, so do that. We made sure to get C&A numbers for our sons after their first cruise, some years ago, and we add their numbers to our reservations every time we've all gone. It'll pay off (for them, at least), as they already are Emerald in their own rights and pushing Diamond.

To add about ages, our boys were 1 and 3, respectively, when they got their C&A numbers.

D

The kids do get coupons but they are the kids coupons but more importantly they do get the balcony discount. We have had 2 side by side balconies booked with the kids in their own cabin and they have received the discount.

Thanks,

It can be a bit confusing. Until your child is 18, they are linked to your C & A account, but would accrue points under their own account number.

With the linked accounts, your child cruises with you and your wife at your C & A status, but accrues only those points actually earned under their own account based on the actual cruises they have taken. So even if they don't join you on each cruise, they share in your tier status until they are 18. But their individual account will reflect only those cruises they actually took.

When they are 18 their accounts are no longer linked with yours and now are individual. Their account will now reflect the points actually earned from the cruises they took while linked to your account. But - and this is where it can get confusing - at 18, they will retain your tier status on their account at the time that they become 18, even if their actual points are lower than that tier.

They will continue on with their own account gaining additional points as actually earned towards the total points needed between what they have earned and the total for the next tier levels.

So by example, you could be Emerald and they could be actually be Platinum based on their actual cruises taken, but they would share Emerald with you while linked and will then take the Emerald status with them at 18 with only the actual Platinum points in their account. The will then continue towards Diamond, but will need to earn the total points necessary between their actual Platinum value and Diamond to reach that tier.

Edited to add: Similar information as posted by Ourusualbeach, but I was still working on my "War & Peace" response while he posted his "Readers Digest" version. :D

Edited by leaveitallbehind

It can be a bit confusing. Until your child is 18, they are linked to your C & A account, but would accrue points under their own account number.

With the linked accounts, your child cruises with you and your wife at your C & A status, but accrues only those points actually earned under their own account based on the actual cruises they have taken. So even if they don't join you on each cruise, they share in your tier status until they are 18. But their individual account will reflect only those cruises they actually took.

When they are 18 their accounts are no longer linked with yours and now are individual. Their account will now reflect the points actually earned from the cruises they took while linked to your account. But - and this is where it can get confusing - at 18, they will retain your tier status on their account at the time that they become 18, even if their actual points are lower than that tier.

They will continue on with their own account gaining additional points as actually earned towards the total points needed between what they have earned and the total for the next tier levels.

So by example, you could be Emerald and they could be actually be Platinum based on their actual cruises taken, but they would share Emerald with you while linked and will then take the Emerald status with them at 18, but with only the actual Platinum points in their account. The will then continue towards Diamond, but will need to earn the total points necessary between their actual Platinum value and Diamond to reach that tier.

Mike,

Did you ever find out how to actually view your kids accounts. You can't set them up to be viewed under the my cruises account as they are under 18 and when I called they said they have to wait until they are 18.

They have an account and every time we cruise their status is exactly the same as ours but no way to view their actual history or points total. I have called C&A a couple times and had them go through it verbally with me just to make sure that nothing is messed up (like that could ever happen).

I make sure that I am keeping their Seapass cards as proof of sailing just in case.

Edited to add: Similar information as posted by Ourusualbeach, but I was still working on my "War & Peace" response while he posted his "Readers Digest" version. :D

LOL Made it through high school using the "Coles Notes" versions of those novels. Guess it just stuck.

Not sure if you had Coles Notes south of the border or if it was a Canadian thing but it was basically a condensed version of all the major novels that were the required reading in High school. Macbeth in 20 minutes.

Mike,

Did you ever find out how to actually view your kids accounts. You can't set them up to be viewed under the my cruises account as they are under 18 and when I called they said they have to wait until they are 18.

They have an account and every time we cruise their status is exactly the same as ours but no way to view their actual history or points total. I have called C&A a couple times and had them go through it verbally with me just to make sure that nothing is messed up (like that could ever happen).

I make sure that I am keeping their Seapass cards as proof of sailing just in case.

Funny you should ask, Ken, as although our "kids" are all now adults with their own accounts, we were actually working on their accounts yesterday. (And yes we did find a problem with a birth date on one that further uncovered an RCI accrual mistake that was actually to their benefit, so RCI chose to keep it in place).

When they are 18 you just would enroll them as new members but use their actual account number already in place and insert the information as requested. You have to use their own - or at least separate - emails for each account but you can set up usernames and passwords as desired to be able to access them.

But I honestly don't recall how to view their totals when they are under 18 but thought that as they were linked, their accounts could be accessed from yours. I certainly agree that there should be some method to do that as so many things can add to the confusion with points, especially with the conversion in 2011. You would definitely want to be sure - regardless of tier status - that at 18 they do retain the correct individual point total.

Wish I could help, but our kids have been on their own with points for a number of years now and I don't recall how we accessed their totals - or even if we did - back then. :o

Hopefully someone else can help. Bob?.....:)

Funny you should ask, Ken, as although our "kids" are all now adults with their own accounts, we were actually working on their accounts yesterday. (And yes we did find a problem with a birth date on one that further uncovered an RCI accrual mistake that was actually to their benefit, so RCI chose to keep it in place).

When they are 18 you just would enroll them as new members but use their actual account number already in place and insert the information as requested. You have to use their own - or at least separate - emails for each account but you can set up usernames and passwords as desired to be able to access them.

But I honestly don't recall how to view their totals when they are under 18 but thought that as they were linked, their accounts could be accessed from yours. I certainly agree that there should be some method to do that as so many things can add to the confusion with points, especially with the conversion in 2011. You would definitely want to be sure - regardless of tier status - that at 18 they do retain the correct individual point total.

Wish I could help, but our kids have been on their own with points for a number of years now and I don't recall how we accessed their totals - or even if we did - back then. :o

Hopefully someone else can help. Bob?.....:)

Thanks. I have been keeping on top of it as we have been alternating the kids in the JS with one of us maximizing their points but trying to keep them both equal. Luckily we didn't have the conversion issue to deal with.

LOL Made it through high school using the "Coles Notes" versions of those novels. Guess it just stuck.

Not sure if you had Coles Notes south of the border or if it was a Canadian thing but it was basically a condensed version of all the major novels that were the required reading in High school. Macbeth in 20 minutes.

we call 'em Cliff's Notes.

If your child has 169 cruise points(earned with his parents) that makes him a diamond status and he/she turns 18... will the points go down to 75. Meaning he will have to accrue another 100 cruise points to achieve diamond plus status?

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

If your child has 169 cruise points(earned with his parents) that makes him a diamond status and he/she turns 18... will the points go down to 75. Meaning he will have to accrue another 100 cruise points to achieve diamond plus status?

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

No - actual points earned remain with the child's account, but with the status of the parents while linked up to age 18.

In your example, if the child earned on their account 169 pts., they would be Diamond and would keep 169 pt. on their own at age 18, and would be 6 pts. shy of D+.

Another example to illustrate this would be if the parents earned 96 pts. (Diamond) but the child only sailed on cruises that gave them 64, the child would retain Diamond status at age 18 from the parents, but would only have 64 pts. on their account. So in essence they would be Diamonds with only 64 pts. They would then need to earn the remaining 111 points to 175 on their own to become Diamond+.

That's correct, the child gets the parent's level, but not the parent's points. They keep the level that their parents were at when the child turns 18, and from that point any level changes are based on the points they themselves earned on the cruises they took.

I'm pretty sure that is correct, but if you, the parents, take one more 6 night or longer cruise before the child turns 18, everyone will be D+, and after turning 18 the young adult will have 75 + 6 or more points, but will be D+.

Thom

No, the child's points won't change. If the child actually earned those 169 points themselves (lucky child!), then they'd remain upon turning 18 and still be just a few points away from Diamond Plus.

I'm pretty sure that is correct, but if you, the parents, take one more 6 night or longer cruise before the child turns 18, everyone will be D+, and after turning 18 the young adult will have 75 + 6 or more points, but will be D+.

Thom

That would definitely be a case where it would be worth it just to take a cruise for the points.:)

Thom

No, your statement is incorrect. If the 169 pts. were earned by the child with actual cruises taken prior to 18 to accrue them, then they are retained by the child at 18. They do not revert to 75.

Status of the parents is conveyed to the child at 18 along with actual points earned by the child. No points are reduced from those actually earned by the child and they also keep the tier status of their parents.

But they will still need to earn the actual points needed between their accrued points and the next tier to attain that tier. Not 75+6 as you indicate, but per the example, 169+6.

No, your statement is incorrect. If the 169 pts. were earned by the child with actual cruises taken prior to 18 to accrue them, then they are retained by the child at 18. They do not revert to 75.

Status of the parents is conveyed to the child at 18 along with actual points earned by the child. No points are reduced from those actually earned by the child and they also keep the tier status of their parents.

I think we are on the same page. connes1 who asked the question had the child reverting to 75 points, so I assumed (dangerous I know) that was the number of points actually earned directly by the child (versus 169 earned by the parents - yes, I see that the wording says "with the parents", but the posting in its entirety makes more sense if it was "by the parents"). If my assumption was correct, does the rest follow?

Thom

Edited by TravelerThom

I think we are on the same page. connes1 who asked the question had the child reverting to 75 points, so I assumed (dangerous I know) that was the number of points actually earned directly by the child (versus 169 earned by the parents - yes, I see that the wording says "with the parents", but the posting in its entirety makes more sense if it was "by the parents"). If my assumption was correct, does the rest follow?

Thom

If your assumption is correct that the parents had 169 pts. but the child only had an actual cruise accrual of 75 pts., then yes as their parents with 169 pts. would be Diamond a the time the child turns 18, the child would also be Diamond on their own account but with 75 pts.

However they would then need to accrue the remaining 100 pts. - not 6 as their parents would need - on their own to become Diamond+.

Thank you everyone for the clarification. We already booked our next two cruises with RCCL. Even though we were not happy with EOS, if it was our first cruise with RCCL we may be looking at other lines, but this was our 4th cruise with RCCL and over all with NCL and CL... we enjoyed RCCL more in the past cruises.

We had a GS on EOS trying out a three day with the little one. She loved it... My only complaint was the ship did not have a lot going on being as big as it was. The food was not RCCL quality as we remembered. The service was average. The other cruisers we talked with said the same.

Hopefully EOS gets better because as a Floridan its nice taking a three day just to get away sometimes.

Adam