What do you wear at dinner on the first night ?

Delboy1

Dinner wear on the first night, or embarkation, you are planning on changing for dinner after embarkation or not??

Casual shirt and trousers for men, suitable for embarkation and dinner.

No jeans in MDR, to be honest in warmer climes, i haven't seen them in any restaurant or in the evening.

Remember, a jacket for elegant casual and formal nights or you will be provided with one!

Edited by Tillylovesseabourn
Adding

I don't mean to be rude, but, as you have said on another thread that you have sailed Seabourn 5 times previously, why are you asking this question?

Perhaps he is bringing it up to reinforce something with a traveling companion? Or maybe rethinking past strategy on embarkation day.

This is the "girl" perspective, but I prefer to wear a cute neutral sundress on embarkation day so that I can change my shoes and jewelry and go straight to dinner. There seems to be so much going on that first day from embarkation to unpacking to muster drill to sail away into cocktails and dinner that unless the weather requires freshening up, I'd rather just go straight from day to evening... so I plan for something that allows that.

I don't mean to be rude, but, as you have said on another thread that you have sailed Seabourn 5 times previously, why are you asking this question?

Last time on Seabourn was four years ago. I note on another thread there has been a great deal of discussion of a new dress code.

Last time on Seabourn was four years ago. I note on another thread there has been a great deal of discussion of a new dress code.

I haven't really noticed any difference in the dress code generally.

There are always one or two who like to try to be controversial, but they look out of place anyway.

People are on the whole still dressed more smartly than average, even if there are now fewer tuxedos on formal night. It is now mainly dark suits, and cocktail length dresses.

Certainly no difference i have noticed in the elegant casual and casual nights, shirt and trousers minimum on casual night normally.

First and last nights, and any casual night, a collared shirt or roll-neck/polo neck sweater and long trousers, no blue jeans.

Women, no shorts or blue jeans. I confess to getting away with black denim jeans occasionally. I suppose one might add no bare midriffs - though I don't think this bit of advice should be necessary.

. I suppose one might add no bare midriffs - though I don't think this bit of advice should be necessary.

I don't think it specifically says anywhere in the Seabourn Dress Code 'no bear midriffs' for ladies. Granted, would probably raise an eyebrow or two in the MDR on a formal optional night. But I would think that for outdoors at the Colonnade or for the Patio Grill, especially in warm weather on a resort casual evening, a smartly turned out and accessorized bare midriff or two would be welcome.

Different story if it were a chap, though...

But it does say no blue jeans, YET on our last cruise these were in evidence in the MDR for dinner.

I blame the Maitre'd for letting them in.

I blame the wearer for taking the pxxx and putting the maitre'd in an awkward situation.

And I applaud Nick Botha for politely and gently turning back a man who appeared at the MDR in jeans. Fortunately for all, after 'explaining' that he had just boarded, etc [We had had the drill 2 hours earlier and been under sail] the pax returned to his cabin to change.

First and last nights, and any casual night, a collared shirt or roll-neck/polo neck sweater and long trousers, no blue jeans.

Women, no shorts or blue jeans. I confess to getting away with black denim jeans occasionally. I suppose one might add no bare midriffs - though I don't think this bit of advice should be necessary.

I was wondering about the acceptability black jeans for first night. Would a nice pair be ok with cute top and shoes? (Covered midriff, of course.)

If you steer clear of jeans you will be safer.

Why would you want to irritate some fellow passengers by ignoring the dress code or run the risk of being made to feel idiotic by being turned away?

Especially when there are so many more appropriate clothing options.

Also why would you want to wear jeans, assuming you are in a warmer climate?

Edited by Tillylovesseabourn
Edit

I was wondering about the acceptability black jeans for first night. Would a nice pair be ok with cute top and shoes? (Covered midriff, of course.)

Throw on black pants instead. Even if they allowed it, I personally would hate to be the getting the second look from the other passengers the rest of my sailing. It's a small ship and you *will* see the same people over and over.

What was acceptable on the Prides second to last cruise for embarkation?

Men: Jeans, tennis shoes and up

Women: Halter top, jean shorts, flip flops

The final cruise?

Men: Jeans and up

Women: Jeans and up

Subsequent nights? Jeans seemed to be OK so long as they were dark and didn't scream "Blue Jeans".

/I wouldn't have the luck to get away with jeans so i don't even try

I should also add YMMV, its possible to get a HM/RM that follow the rules to the letter.

Edited by Emperor Norton

My black 'jeans' did not look particularly jean-like. It is the blue denim which does rather stand out as unacceptable, but I agree with Mr. L that it is very difficult for a Maitre'd to make a fuss; occasionally they do send passengers away but it can be embarrassing. On our last cruise two oldish men turned up without jackets on an 'informal' night. I felt sure they did not realise they should have jackets, and as there was a small queue waiting to go in the Maitre'd waved them and their wives in. A slightly less awkward situation for all. Those who swagger in deliberately flouting the rules are a different matter, and are usually recognised and dealt with.