Gratuity Question /

Hope you can help with a question - should be really simple. I sailed with RC in 2010 and 2011 (Adventure and Grandeur) and enjoyed both

I did not pre-pay tips at this time (I'm not your tight ass Brit) and I choose to put money in an envelope instead and give to the staff.

I did hear that RC has now gone the way of other cruises where you have to pre-pay gratuity.

Only reason I am querying this as I visited the RC website for some quotes and it states pre-paid gratuity is only required when you choose set meal times and not the flexible option. Is this correct? Goes against what I have heard in the past of them making it compulsory.

Also - if you pre-pay I beleive you can go to the desk and alter the payments - is that true? How does that work if you have already paid? Only asking as I always gave the Maitre D less than the cleaner / waiter to our room / table as they did not do much apart from 2 seconds of asking if everything was ok. Just my personal opinion that they did not deserve the same as the other hard workers.

Edited by Fiery Phoenix

Hope you can help with a question - should be really simple. I sailed with RC in 2010 and 2011 (Adventure and Grandeur) and enjoyed both

I did not pre-pay tips at this time (I'm not your tight ass Brit) and I choose to put money in an envelope instead and give to the staff.

I did hear that RC has now gone the way of other cruises where you have to pre-pay gratuity.

Only reason I am querying this as I visited the RC website for some quotes and it states pre-paid gratuity is only required when you choose set meal times and not the flexible option. Is this correct? Goes against what I have heard in the past of them making it compulsory.

Also - if you pre-pay I beleive you can go to the desk and alter the payments - is that true? How does that work if you have already paid? Only asking as I always gave the Maitre D less than the cleaner / waiter to our room / table as they did not do much apart from 2 seconds of asking if everything was ok. Just my personal opinion that they did not deserve the same as the other hard workers.

Gratuities are paid as previously regardless of dining option and remain distributed between your stateroom attendant and wait staff. However they are prepaid if MTD is selected. Otherwise they are automatically charged daily to your SeaPass account. You can still add additional amounts via cash at the end if desired and envelopes will be available at guest services. Paid in either manner the amounts are automatically distributed by RCI to the staff members who would receive them. You can also opt out of the auto pay at guest services if desired and pay in cash at the end.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

In addition to being able to totally opt out of automatic gratuities, you can also modify the amount of automatic gratuities by going to Guest Services and filling out a form.

Just that when I go to the RC website you have the choice to pre-pay or not to pre-pay.

It makes you pre-pay if you select set dining. If you choose flexible, you are then presented with the choice of pre-pay or pay on-board.

However if I select the 2nd option - it still adds them to the quote / price to pay.

The only dining option where they charge gratuities onto the price of the cruise for final payment is My Time Dining.

Otherwise, unless you purposely prepay them (which you can if you choose even without MTD) then they daily rate of 12.00 pp will be charge to your state room Sea Pass account.