Hummus for breakfast?

Fog123

One of our traveling partners has egg, dairy, and gluten sensitivities. Her normal breakfast is hummus on gluten free bread.

Will she be able to get that for breakfast? We're on the Volendam.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Gluten free bread yes, hummus, I'd bring my own. It's possible that you could pre-order hummus but I wouldn't be sure it would be there. They will let you check labels if you ask and they really don't want anyone getting sick, so they did it willingly.

You can get a frig for your room for $2/da, order that ahead of time. I brought a granddaughter on Volendam who is allergic to wheat, eggs, soy, dairy, red meats, fish, legumes, some fruits, oh and lethally allergic to peanuts and all peanut derivatives (oil).... we made it work fine with the help of the Lido chef going through the buffet with her. And we previewed MDR menus each day and circled her selections with notes such as , no gravy, no stuffing... etc. We did bring some special foods with us for her that we knew would be safe, thus the frig. What did she eat? Chicken and turkey, she got to try pheasant and quail, lots of French fries, salads, sorbets, fruit... she's healthier than most! The pool grill chef would get a fresh, clean pan to cook her turkey burgers for lunch, they were excellent, which was why we took her on HAL!

m--

Gluten free bread yes, hummus, I'd bring my own. It's possible that you could pre-order hummus but I wouldn't be sure it would be there. They will let you check labels if you ask and they really don't want anyone getting sick, so they did it willingly.

You can get a frig for your room for $2/da, order that ahead of time. I brought a granddaughter on Volendam who is allergic to wheat, eggs, soy, dairy, red meats, fish, legumes, some fruits, oh and lethally allergic to peanuts and all peanut derivatives (oil).... we made it work fine with the help of the Lido chef going through the buffet with her. And we previewed MDR menus each day and circled her selections with notes such as , no gravy, no stuffing... etc. We did bring some special foods with us for her that we knew would be safe, thus the frig. What did she eat? Chicken and turkey, she got to try pheasant and quail, lots of French fries, salads, sorbets, fruit... she's healthier than most! The pool grill chef would get a fresh, clean pan to cook her turkey burgers for lunch, they were excellent, which was why we took her on HAL!

m--

What a great post.

It's wonderful to read how helpful the Chefs were in enabling your granddaughter to have food that was safe and she could enjoy.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

So glad to be able to post this amazing experience! Yes, it all worked well.

They took extra good care of us and were always available for questions, all we had to do was ask to speak with Ani, the Lido Chef, who was on duty whenever the Lido was open. It took us a bit of understanding for us to realize they really couldn't make special dishes for her but they did very well guiding her to what was safe, and there was plenty. We took safe condiments and special add-ons from our cabin frig to the dining room in a tote bag. She had said that she wanted to go on the cruise even if she had to live on Rice Krispies for a week... but she found more food for herself than she ever imagined. At 15 or 16 it really opened her eyes to wider world in so many ways. I am very grateful to HAL making this such as success. m--

I would also encourage your traveling partner to contact ship services. It's very likely her request will be accommodated with pleasure.

If not, or as a just in case, there are shelf stable, individual serving hummus packs available. I believe the name is Wild Garden and can be purchased on Amazon. We have enjoyed these in our travels and found them to be tasty.

One of our traveling partners has egg, dairy, and gluten sensitivities. Her normal breakfast is hummus on gluten free bread.

Will she be able to get that for breakfast? We're on the Volendam.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Another nod to asking the chefs for help. On my cruise last fall one of the chefs walked me through the Indonesian lunch and told me what I could and couldn't have. I can't have added sugars or I get violently ill. All it took was stopping one and asking.

Hummus is served on many HAL cruise as part of their mezze platter appetizer so not an unusual request and they know how to make it fairly well. All you have to do is tell guest services of the request, then again ask the main dining room maître d' or white shirted officer in the Lido, where ever you eat breakfast. They will do everything they can to get you what you need. May not happen the 1st day but should definitely happen by day 2.

DS suffers from Celiac Disease. On our 2010 Alaska Cruise, we contacted Ships Services and they provided a gluten free check list for him to pre-select items for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It's amazing how HAL works with those who have special dietary needs to accommodate them onboard their ships.

• 2 weeks later...

Mezze Plate Vegan

Baba ghanoush, ="chickpea hummus, stuffed grape leaves and tabbouleh salad, served with warm Pita bread.

Taken from the vegetarian menu on the HAL website....just give them 1 day to prepare. I would imagine that if you ask day 1 she will have it for the duration.

Edited by Kona921

Mezze Plate Vegan

Baba ghanoush, ="chickpea hummus, stuffed grape leaves and tabbouleh salad, served with warm Pita bread.

I don't believe that baba ghanoush >is< equivalent to chick pea hummus. Baba ghanoush is made with egg plant, onion and tomatoe.

In either case both are (or should be) fine for a gluten free diet.