Preferences & Requests: Cruise Celebrations

The Booking Dashboard/Preferences & Requests has a section to specify Cruise Celebrations. What is this option for? What effect does it have?

My parents have the 40th wedding anniversary during the next cruise and I am curious what would happen if I would add that fact to their booking.

I know for birthdays all the cruise ship does, if they remember, is sing Happy Birthday during the nightly meal. And give the birthday person one slice of cake.

You can always order room decorations and a cake to make it a little more special. But then I am sure you already know this.

The Booking Dashboard/Preferences & Requests has a section to specify Cruise Celebrations. What is this option for? What effect does it have?

My parents have the 40th wedding anniversary during the next cruise and I am curious what would happen if I would add that fact to their booking.

Unfortunately, unless your travel agent makes note of it or you notify everyone you can think of onboard....it will probably be totally ignored.

The passenger selected celebrations don't seem to receive the attention that they deserve.

Our experience is that every celebration has been ignored, sadly. They ask but then don't do anything about it. Remember that a good number of passengers are celebrating something - wedding or honeymoon, anniversary, birthday, graduation, promotion, retirement, family reunion... etc... RCI chooses not to acknowledge this without us having to order some decorations or a cake (for fee), as said above.

Same here...they ask for the info, then it's gone into cyber-space. No one does anything. If you want something special, you'll have to go to "gifts and gear" and buy it. Or, just wish your parents "Happy Anniversary"....bring a card and gift!

I know this isn't Carnival but they sent a birthday card to my room for my birthday earlier this year and the only mention of it was the notation made with my original booked.

I sailed RC for my birthday back in 2012 but I don't remember if I got anything or not. The people sitting near me at dinner, had this little "band" come by and play happy birthday for me and another couple bought me a drink. I thought that was so nice because I was traveling solo and they were essentially strangers. I was at a table for 4 and two people never came the whole weekend (server said no one was assigned because the ship wasn't full) and the other person only came the first night.

... You can always order room decorations and a cake to make it a little more special. But then I am sure you already know this.

Same here...they ask for the info, then it's gone into cyber-space. No one does anything. If you want something special, you'll have to go to "gifts and gear" and buy it. Or, just wish your parents "Happy Anniversary"....bring a card and gift!

That's what I thought. It just didn't make sense to me to have an option that has no effect at all. I did order room decorations. I will probably try to arrange for a special dinner at giovanni's. I wish they would offer a romantic table for two somewhere on the ship.

It's a pity that even though there are several anniversaries/birthdays a day (4000 guests onboard) they do not offer more options: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experiencetypes/category.do?pagename=onboard_cat_celebrations

The people sitting near me at dinner, had this little "band" come by and play happy birthday for me and another couple bought me a drink. I thought that was so nice because I was traveling solo and they were essentially strangers. I was at a table for 4 and two people never came the whole weekend (server said no one was assigned because the ship wasn't full) and the other person only came the first night.

That sounds wonderful. Little gestures can make a huge difference.