More Paris itinerary questions...

pbnjrockette

Didn't want to hi-jack the other thread ! Have jotted down some ideas from there--especially the walking tour.

Am still doing planning although our trip is less than 2 weeks away! We are taking a river cruise but will be in Paris for 5 days before the cruise. Am working on a "gentle" itinerary as I really want to "feel" Paris on this visit! We were there 15 years ago and really enjoyed it.

Here are my tentative plans... would love any ideas to tweak and add to it! Our river cruise tour will be taking us to the Louvre, Musee d'Orsay, Notre Dame, Versailles and Giverny so those are not on my list.

Arrive Friday mid-day (July 11) -- it's our anniversary so I would like to just take it a bit easy and get over the travel hassle and perhaps a short walk before a nice dinner. (We are staying in the 17th arrondissement -- not my first choice but we'll meet the pre-cruise there).

Saturday we have booked a walking tour with a Paris Greeter in her neighborhood (Belleville area?) The rest of the day is free.

Sunday we are taking the train to Belgium to visit friends. Will be gone all day.

Monday (Fete Nationale!) Behind the Scenes Tour of the Eiffel Tour 10 am. Rest of the day free.

Tuesday -- Musee d'Orsay (with guide) rest of day free

Wed... morning free

During the "free" time I'm trying to schedule... Musee d'Orangerie, Montmarte, Arc de Triomphe, Rue Cler, Jardin des Tuileries. We do like to walk so will be looking at walking tours but aren't afraid to use the metro. Thinking about an evening Seine river boat for different views of the city. Will be sampling ice cream, crepes, croque monsieur's... so hope to find some small cafes to just relax and enjoy!

WOW! Recently spend a week in Paris and did not do half of what you have planned :). You will be in Paris on a long holiday weekend, so the city might not be as crowded as normal (many folks head south on holidays). Am wondering why you need a guide for the Musee d'Orsay (our favorite museum in Paris) as it is not very difficult to walk around that building on your own. Am sure you will enjoy your visit, but not sure how anyone could classify your schedule as "gentle."

Hank

WOW! Recently spend a week in Paris and did not do half of what you have planned :). You will be in Paris on a long holiday weekend, so the city might not be as crowded as normal (many folks head south on holidays). Am wondering why you need a guide for the Musee d'Orsay (our favorite museum in Paris) as it is not very difficult to walk around that building on your own. Am sure you will enjoy your visit, but not sure how anyone could classify your schedule as "gentle."

Hank

Thanks, Hank! Now I'm in more of a panic! Have only scheduled one thing per day!! Hoping to fit in something else per day (including sitting and people watching!).

Actually don't know if we have a "guide" for the d'Orsay. It's just a part of our small group tour and I listed it because we won't be doing it on our own.

What are your suggestions? pat

Edited by pbnjrockette

Actually don't know if we have a "guide" for the d'Orsay. It's just a part of our small group tour and I listed it because we won't be doing it on our own.

Assuming you have any interest in art, I sincerely hope you do have a guide in the d'Orsay. The last reason to use the services of a guide is to navigate you from point "A" to point "B." A guide should make sense of that you're seeing.

The average person spends 3 seconds standing in front of a work of art. That's long enough to say you've seen a particular work of art, but not long enough to understand it. A good guide will help you understand.

Assuming you have any interest in art, I sincerely hope you do have a guide in the d'Orsay. The last reason to use the services of a guide is to navigate you from point "A" to point "B." A guide should make sense of that you're seeing.

The average person spends 3 seconds standing in front of a work of art. That's long enough to say you've seen a particular work of art, but not long enough to understand it. A good guide will help you understand.

Thank YOU! I really do hope we have an "art guide". We were in d'Orsay 15 years ago and I can STILL clearly envision some of the artwork from then because of the insights we were given. There was a room with Degas' dancers and I can still see it as if I was just there!

This is a magnificent house/museum to visit - always quiet and away from the hustle and bustle. Well recommended:-

Nissim de Camondo Museum

- quote This stupendous mansion was bequeathed to France by Moïse de Camondo, scion of an Ottoman banking dynasty, in honor of his only son, who was killed in World War I. With an unerring eye—and the means to back it—de Camondo built a private collection of rare magnificence, seen just as it was when the family lived here.

63 rue de Monceau, 8th, 01 53 89 06 50, Closed Mon and Tue.

Agree that a skilled, appropriately educated, art guide can add some "color" to any museum. But most of the guides we have heard in museums sound like they are reading a boring narrative out of the Michelin Green Guide. We were recently in an art museum where a professional guide had a large group of teens/young adults sitting in front of a nice Monet painting. As we walked around the gallery (DW and I are huge impressionist fans) we noted that those kids were bored out of their minds and most were not even paying attention. I suspect that Monet would have been bored with the long-winded explanation of a painting he did in his garden. As one impressionist was rumored to have said, "I just paint what I see."

If you are a "big time" impressionist fan then we can strongly recommend a visit to the Musee Marmottan which is located in Paris (but not very central). You can Google this museum, which has an amazing impressionist collection in its basement gallery. Many are not aware that this small museum actually houses the largest Claude Monet collection in the world! Go figure.

Hank

Agree that a skilled, appropriately educated, art guide can add some "color" to any museum. But most of the guides we have heard in museums sound like they are reading a boring narrative out of the Michelin Green Guide. We were recently in an art museum where a professional guide had a large group of teens/young adults sitting in front of a nice Monet painting. As we walked around the gallery (DW and I are huge impressionist fans) we noted that those kids were bored out of their minds and most were not even paying attention. I suspect that Monet would have been bored with the long-winded explanation of a painting he did in his garden. As one impressionist was rumored to have said, "I just paint what I see."

If you are a "big time" impressionist fan then we can strongly recommend a visit to the Musee Marmottan which is located in Paris (but not very central). You can Google this museum, which has an amazing impressionist collection in its basement gallery. Many are not aware that this small museum actually houses the largest Claude Monet collection in the world! Go figure.

Hank

Thank YOU!! That will certainly go to the top of my list!

We have "The Barnes Collection" near us in Philadelphia and for as many times as we've visited we almost always get a docent guide--the detailed information is invaluable!

pat

Edited by pbnjrockette

Hi, Rick Steves has FREE downloadable on an iPhone or IPod tours of all of the Paris museums. If you don't want to listen you can simply read the transcript. I think the D'Orsay is the perfect museum, especially if you love impressionist paintings. It is not too big and overwhelming such as other world-class museums we have visited. Don't forget to go out on the terrace and have a cold drink and just soak in the beauty of Paris. A million dollar view, for free. The Rick Steves hints for the Louvre are invaluable. We walked in and went right up to Mona Lisa, (yes it was our first time in Paris :))

Dont forget the Marais, Place Des Vosges area. One of the best places to visit in Paris.

You will find you get distracted walking around so take the time to stop at a cafe relax and enjoy everything. You can always return!

• 2 weeks later...

paris walking tours owned by same couple - ariel -

who own one in london -no reservations needed -

usually meet at a metro stop which walks rain or shine -

for a 2 hour guided area tour - we took 2 diffferent ones in marais -

1 in montmartre - notre dame - heminway spots - etc.

very inexpensive - informative - interesting - worth it !

they have a great website detailing all they do !! ;)

Edited by loma linda ca a & j

I also recommend the Musee d'Orangerie if you like Monet. His supersize water lily paintings which you can see of all 4 seasons in the same room on oval walls are stunning! It is a small museum and will not take you very long to see. If you went to Giverny on your cruise, then I think it is a must see.

Also, the Picasso Museum, which has been closed for at least 3 years may possibly be open by the time you are there. I am not a big modern art fan but I did enjoy the old Picasso Museum very much. It helped you understand his art. Hopefully the new renovation does the same thing. I was in Paris in early June and it still was not open but was suppose to open soon.

Also just take a leisurely walk down Rue Cler and have lunch at a local restaurant. We enjoyed Cafe de Marche. Very good and reasonably priced. It is very close to the Eiffel Tower.

Don't over schedule your time in Paris. If you love it you will come back again. Museums are museums. They are all over the world. Just try to see the ones you really think you need to. They can be very crowded, particularly the Louvre. But there is nothing like walking down and exploring the streets of Paris, visiting the outdoor markets, the shops, the cheese shops, the chocolate shops, the bread shops, the pastry shops, the butcher shops, and on and on. And most important having a leisurely meal and a bottle of wine in a sidewalk cafe in a non tourist area. Eat like the French!

Have a wonderful trip!

paris walking tours owned by same couple - ariel -

who own one in london -no reservations needed -

usually meet at a metro stop which walks rain or shine -

for a 2 hour guided area tour - we took 2 diffferent ones in marais -

1 in montmartre - notre dame - heminway spots - etc.

very inexpensive - informative - interesting - worth it !

they have a great website detailing all they do !! ;)

Can you give us the website or the name?

thanks

On Monday, you can combine the Eiffel Tower quite easily with Rue Cler (not too much to see but fun to stroll and maybe have a bite to eat) and a Siene River boat that leaves from the base of the tower. Personally, I would take the boat during the day rather than a dinner cruise.

I would consider adding perhaps an afternoon on Cite and St. Louis, where, at a minimum, you can visit Sainte-Chappelle (I can't imagine a trip to Paris without a visit!) and get some Berthillon ice cream.

Agree with doing a leisurely lunch at a restaurant on Rue Cler after the Eiffel Tower. Just sit street side , dine, relax, and people watch! One of my favorite things to do in Paris. That's what the Parisians do! Don't over schedule your trip. Sit back in some of that free time and enjoy Paris. I just enjoy walking the neighborhoods and exploring on my own. Be sure to visit a market if possible. It is pricey but having lunch on the Champs Elysees is also a fun thing to do.

Agree with doing a leisurely lunch at a restaurant on Rue Cler after the Eiffel Tower. Just sit street side , dine, relax, and people watch! One of my favorite things to do in Paris. That's what the Parisians do! Don't over schedule your trip. Sit back in some of that free time and enjoy Paris. I just enjoy walking the neighborhoods and exploring on my own. Be sure to visit a market if possible. It is pricey but having lunch on the Champs Elysees is also a fun thing to do.

I'm going to recommend you arrive in Paris with a Plan B to your Plan A of sitting on a walking the neighborhoods, visiting the food markets, relaxing, and people watching. My husband and I were in Paris in late May with every intention of doing exactly what you hope to do. Unfortunately, the weather did not cooperate with us.

According to historic weather averages, what should have been temps in the high 60s/low and mid-70s with no unusual expectation of rain turned out to be seven days of clouds, rain, and highs in the mid-50s. I think we clung to our plan more than we should have.

Admittedly, on the two days we had scheduled walking tours that meant a lot to us the weather cooperated somewhat. (We toured through half-days of more cloudiness than rain.) Furthermore, this was my husband's and my fourth or fifth week-long visit to Paris. Nevertheless, we should have gone into museums more than we did.

If the weather doesn't cooperate, here are a couple of food recommendations:

Hot chocolate in the cafes and Salon de The around the Place des Vosges where the hot chocolate is basically melted bars of chocolate. At the place where we had our chocolate, we ordered a medium version -- still so thick I had to be eaten with a spoon. I cannot image what the thicker versions are like.

Here are three places serving good old-fashioned onion soup:

Flottes on the rue Cambon (off the rue de Rivoli near the Tuileries) continuous service brasserie open daily

La Rotonde on the boulevard de Montparnasse (at Blvd Raspail) continuous-service brasserie open daily and cafe with great terrace

Chez Denise on the rue des Prouvaires (in Les Halles) bistro which means no continuous service -- lunch and dinner service only but open until 5am Mon-Fri in the tradition of days when Les Halles was a meat market and the butchers ate soup for breakfast

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

I'm going to recommend you arrive in Paris with a Plan B to your Plan A of sitting on a walking the neighborhoods, visiting the food markets, relaxing, and people watching. My husband and I were in Paris in late May with every intention of doing exactly what you hope to do. Unfortunately, the weather did not cooperate with us.

According to historic weather averages, what should have been temps in the high 60s/low and mid-70s with no unusual expectation of rain turned out to be seven days of clouds, rain, and highs in the mid-50s. I think we clung to our plan more than we should have.

Admittedly, on the two days we had scheduled walking tours that meant a lot to us the weather cooperated somewhat. (We toured through half-days of more cloudiness than rain.) Furthermore, this was my husband's and my fourth or fifth week-long visit to Paris. Nevertheless, we should have gone into museums more than we did.

If the weather doesn't cooperate, here are a couple of food recommendations:

Hot chocolate in the cafes and Salon de The around the Place des Vosges where the hot chocolate is basically melted bars of chocolate. At the place where we had our chocolate, we ordered a medium version -- still so thick I had to be eaten with a spoon. I cannot image what the thicker versions are like.

Here are three places serving good old-fashioned onion soup:

Flottes on the rue Cambon (off the rue de Rivoli near the Tuileries) continuous service brasserie open daily

La Rotonde on the boulevard de Montparnasse (at Blvd Raspail) continuous-service brasserie open daily and cafe with great terrace

Chez Denise on the rue des Prouvaires (in Les Halles) bistro which means no continuous service -- lunch and dinner service only but open until 5am Mon-Fri in the tradition of days when Les Halles was a meat market and the butchers ate soup for breakfast

thanks for the great suggestions for soup and food !!

where do you usually stay in paris for a week ?

Edited by loma linda ca a & j

• 2 weeks later...
i also recommend the musee d'orangerie if you like monet. His supersize water lily paintings which you can see of all 4 seasons in the same room on oval walls are stunning! It is a small museum and will not take you very long to see. If you went to giverny on your cruise, then i think it is a must see.

Don't over schedule your time in paris. If you love it you will come back again. Museums are museums. They are all over the world. Just try to see the ones you really think you need to. They can be very crowded, particularly the louvre. But there is nothing like walking down and exploring the streets of paris, visiting the outdoor markets, the shops, the cheese shops, the chocolate shops, the bread shops, the pastry shops, the butcher shops, and on and on. And most important having a leisurely meal and a bottle of wine in a sidewalk cafe in a non tourist area. Eat like the french!

Have a wonderful trip!

BEST ADVICE!! Don't overschedule your time in paris!!

We had an absolutely wonderful time! Really enjoyed our walks and just sitting in cafes and the SMELLS! (chocolate, cheese, pastry!) Was really nice to have this unschedule time and we repeated it on our river cruise when we wanted to veer off and just enjoy people watching and eating macaroons and other bakery delights!

Absolutely loved the Musee l'Orangerie and could have sat for hours just getting lost in those large murals. Great prelude to our visit to Giverny and Monet's gardens.

We did a lot but didn't overtire ourselves---hope someday to go back!!

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Having lived in France and visited many times:

Musee Rodin (and it's gardens), which is very close to Les Invalides (Napoleon's tomb). Picasso (hopefully reopened now). Victor Hugo's house at Place des Voges (Marais).

The rest of your ideas sound great. Good luck on fitting everything in. If not, just go back!!!

Having lived in France and visited many times:

Musee Rodin (and it's gardens), which is very close to Les Invalides (Napoleon's tomb). Picasso (hopefully reopened now). Victor Hugo's house at Place des Voges (Marais).

The rest of your ideas sound great. Good luck on fitting everything in. If not, just go back!!!

Picasso Museum presently is scheduled to reopen October 25 but who knows if it will not be pushed back.