Alaska Land/Sea on The Oosterdam

PROCRUISE

Just a quick review (opinion) regarding The Oosterdam. We did the 6/9-22 land sea tour with HAL and were very pleased with the whole trip.

In regards to The Oosterdam, we found our whole experience on this ship to be excellent. While we have only cruised with HAL three previous times, I can say that after reading some previous reviews of this ship, she exceeded our expectations. I do know better than to put too much credibility in totally negative reviews.

Embarkation was a breeze and we were in our cabin (5168 - balcony, port side, aft, immediately. Comfortable bed, nice size tub/shower bathroom, nice balcony, and enough closet space. Our room stewards were excellent, as always, and constantly greeting us and inquiring if we needed anything. We had anytime dining, which worked well for us, and we were always given the choice to be seated with others or just the two of us. The food choices and presentations were very good in the dining room and those we sat with were all very pleasant. Service was very good in the dining room too. We did some lunch snacking in the Lido, which is always crowded, and could usually find a place to sit rather quickly. We had in room service for all our breakfast meals, because that's what we like to do. These meals were also good and served hot.

We found this older vessel to be in excellent condition, considering. Some generalized wearing was noted in stairway carpeting but the crew was also replacing these areas of carpet throughout the cruise too. All crew and general staff were pleasant and helpful which we've generally found to be true on HAL. Love the fresh flower arrangements throughout the ship which I suppose many don't even notice, but I really enjoy. The production shows were fine. Northern Lights show was very good, the Country/Rock show was sort of all sameness and just loud noise. Comedian and illusionist were excellent. Different musical groups around the ship were all very good.

The whole atmosphere on the Oosterdam, at least in Alaska, was very low keyed and pleasant. On "formal night" we both wore shirts, ties and sport coats which seemed to be the norm along with suits, very few tuxedos, and some just in shirt and tie. On regular nights we always changed into good shirts and docker slacks but the norm in the dining room, for men, seemed to be jeans and yes, even shorts too. No real dress code here like many claim HAL adheres to on all ships.

So, unlike some reviews, we have nothing but good things to say about The Oosterdam. Beautiful, well kept and operated vessel. Friendly officers and crew members, nice rooms, good food and service and a very beautiful itinerary Seward to Vancouver and we even lucked out on weather too. :)

Edited by PROCRUISE

Thank you so much! I'll be sailing on this ship in a couple of weeks doing the Cruise and land/Denali trip.

Maybe you can answer a question for me ... is the first page of the express docs your Signature Express Boarding pass? It appears to be, and there is a box with the cruise information on it, But it's not very clear if that is the actual boarding pass, and I don't see any embarkation times anywhere, which the express docs says is supposed to be on the pass. Thanks!!

Thank you so much! I'll be sailing on this ship in a couple of weeks doing the Cruise and land/Denali trip.

Maybe you can answer a question for me ... is the first page of the express docs your Signature Express Boarding pass? It appears to be, and there is a box with the cruise information on it, But it's not very clear if that is the actual boarding pass, and I don't see any embarkation times anywhere, which the express docs says is supposed to be on the pass. Thanks!!

The first page is your boarding pass and many of us only print that.

It is likely they will begin embarkation around 11:15 - 11:30 A.M. It can vary somewhat depending how smoothly disembarkation proceeded or if there might be some out of the ordinary activity on-going.

Edited by sail7seas

The first page is your boarding pass and many of us only print that.

It is likely they will begin embarkation around 11:15 - 11:30 A.M. It can vary somewhat depending how smoothly disembarkation proceeded or if there might be some out of the ordinary activity on-going.

Great! Thank you so much!!!

Great! Thank you so much!!!

This is correct information. Everything was handled so well by HAL that we really didn't even need our E-Doc/Boarding Pass print off. We arrived at Seward by bus, walked into the terminal, were asked our names, welcomed aboard, showed credit card and passport, given room "key" and walked on board all in about a 15 minute time span. Our two buses of those who had just completed the land tour were the first people there. We left the ship for several hours and explored Seward (interesting place) and when we came to reboard there was a long line of people checking in, but it was moving right along. HAL does a really great job, I think, with their Alaska passengers. Enjoy your trip!!

This is correct information. Everything was handled so well by HAL that we really didn't even need our E-Doc/Boarding Pass print off. We arrived at Seward by bus, walked into the terminal, were asked our names, welcomed aboard, showed credit card and passport, given room "key" and walked on board all in about a 15 minute time span. Our two buses of those who had just completed the land tour were the first people there. We left the ship for several hours and explored Seward (interesting place) and when we came to reboard there was a long line of people checking in, but it was moving right along. HAL does a really great job, I think, with their Alaska passengers. Enjoy your trip!!

Thank you! I can't wait! We are actually going the opposite direct, starting in Vancouver and ending in Fairbanks. Plane, Cruise, Train, Tour bus, and plane again. ;)

Thanks for your review. We will be on the Oosterdam Fairbanks to Vancouver tour beginning in Seward. What excursions did you do at each port? We will be on deck 5 also, mid ship. Did you like that deck? I am glad to hear that you loved your trip. Any tips or advice you can give will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your review. We will be on the Oosterdam Fairbanks to Vancouver tour beginning in Seward. What excursions did you do at each port? We will be on deck 5 also, mid ship. Did you like that deck? I am glad to hear that you loved your trip. Any tips or advice you can give will be greatly appreciated!

We liked deck 5 a lot, and it was very nice having the balcony to move to when we cruised Glacier Bay.

Don't know what your interests are but these are the tours we did:

Denali, first day - Black Diamond Side ATV Adventure. Should add that we're both 68 yrs old but willing to try anything. This was fun and the meal they serve is outstanding on this tour. Took the Denali Tundra Tour that is included in the package the second day.

Alyeska - Second day, took the Turnagain Pass Float Trip. We were the ONLY two on this lovely 2 hr raft float trip. Nothing beyond level one white water rapids and then only

twice. Loved the opportunity for pictures, very relaxing, saw some wildlife.

Haines - White Pass Summit Scenic Railroad out of Skagway in the morning (straight up and back) and then Glacier Point Wilderness Safari in the afternoon. Safari was just plain wonderful, paddling out to and walking on the Davidson Glacier.

Juneau - Private tour with Dolphin Jet Boats to Mendenhall Glacier and whale watching. At Mendenhall you MUST walk down to the waterfall but the HAL tours didn't offer enough time for this because it takes about 15-20 minutes to walk down and the same to walk back up. Our tour gave enough time there (80 minutes) to do this. Whale watching was good and saw a lot of Orca.

Ketchikan - toured on our own, in the town, all morning. This was my favorite port. Must see Dolly House and old red light district. Afternoon, we took Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour - fabulous tour. Even if you're not interested in "Deadliest Catch," they also make a stop at a point where eagles are nesting/live and they throw out fish parts. You are actually surrounded by about 50 eagles going after the fish parts - photographic heaven for getting pictures of eagles.

Vancouver - stayed for two days, used hop on - hop off bus to see everything.

Enjoy your trip. By far, favorite part of our land tour was The McKinley Explorer Train trip from Denali to Anchorage - just outstanding experience. :)

Edited by PROCRUISE

A word of caution about the boarding pass from the HAL web site. My daughter packed hers in the suitcase that was sent ahead to the ship. She tried to reprint it in Anchorage but was unable to do so because the cruise tour was in progress. A HAL representative told her in an online chat that she didn't need the paper copy to board. When we checked in at the pier in Seward, the agent said that the paper copy is their only record if the computers go down. She told me that we would have had to retrieve the boarding pass from her suitcase if that had happened. I learned that you probably will not need the pass but it is still important to have it with you!

Thanks for your reply. Sorry a few more questions--Was Mendenhall glacier worth your time? How did you settle on Double Jet company? What you did sounded wonderful and I greatly appreciate any tips. I was advised to pack 2 suitcases 1 for the land and 1 for sea. So far the excursions we are considering is in Juneau the whale watching, in Haines/Skagway the Davidson Glacier Wilderness Safari (who did you book this with and did you have trouble with sea sickness or mosquitos)? In Ketchikan I will use you advice to tour the town and see the places you mentioned and someone said the Saxman Native center. On deck the 5 the rooms located mid ship are right above the life boats, did you see any problems with that location or views? Thanks again!

Haines - White Pass Summit Scenic Railroad out of Skagway in the morning (straight up and back) and then Glacier Point Wilderness Safari in the afternoon. Safari was just plain wonderful, paddling out to and walking on the Davidson Glacier.

We are doing both of these excursions next month. Did you have to go back to the ship in Haines to catch the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari or did you catch in Skagway? Just trying to figure out the logistics between the tours.

Thank you in advance for your help.

We are doing both of these excursions next month. Did you have to go back to the ship in Haines to catch the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari or did you catch in Skagway? Just trying to figure out the logistics between the tours.

Thank you in advance for your help.

We took the early morning White Pass Summit Train which got us back to the ship around 12:30 PM. We then had a quick lunch on the ship and went out and explored Haines a little, which is very small. Our Glacier Point Wilderness group then met on the pier at 3:15 PM. We got back to the ship about 40 minutes before departure. This tour also offered a little lunch before boarding the long canoes for the paddle out to the glacier. We loved this tour and walking on the glacier. Take mosquito spray for the area where they put you in boots, life vests etc, although they were not a problem anywhere else and the crew members did have some spray to share. Hope you enjoy these tours as much as we did. Glad we took both tours instead of just the train with time in Skagway, which appeared to be just another shopping area. :-)

Thanks for your reply. Sorry a few more questions--Was Mendenhall glacier worth your time? How did you settle on Double Jet company? What you did sounded wonderful and I greatly appreciate any tips. I was advised to pack 2 suitcases 1 for the land and 1 for sea. So far the excursions we are considering is in Juneau the whale watching, in Haines/Skagway the Davidson Glacier Wilderness Safari (who did you book this with and did you have trouble with sea sickness or mosquitos)? In Ketchikan I will use you advice to tour the town and see the places you mentioned and someone said the Saxman Native center. On deck the 5 the rooms located mid ship are right above the life boats, did you see any problems with that location or views? Thanks again!

Mendenhall Glacier was worth it for us because we walked to the waterfalls which is just to the right of the glacier. One stands with the blue glacier in front of you and a 15 story waterfall crashing down to your right. I must have taken a dozen photos while standing there. Just my opinion, but one must walk to the falls which is a good 15 minute quick walk each way. I specifically picked Dolphin Jet Tours because of the time allotment at Mendenhall and good comments about them on TripAdvisor. I booked the Glacier Wilderness Safari through HAL and we took the 3:15 PM tour. The water we paddled out on to the glacier was smooth as silk the day we were there and there were some Mosquitos at the area where you get boots and life vests but they had some spray to use. We always pick aft cabins on deck 5 so we have no life boats below us, but this should not interfere with your views except straight down. We packed one large and one small suitcase each to make sure we had no overweight luggage for the airlines. When we got to our room in Fairbanks, we repacked the two small suitcases with formal clothing, shoes etc. that we knew we would not need on the land tour. These two suitcases were then tagged to be sent on to the ship and we took our two large suitcases on the land tour. It's all explained in your Fairbanks welcome envelope that you'll receive. Just have fun. :-)